Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

Finally got a Emporia Vue2 energy monitor installed on both of my electrical panels. Flashed both to ESPHome.

Really digging Home Assistant's Energy system. Works well with multiple monitoring sources.

Finally have some insight on how much charging my car really costs. I figured it was the biggest user of energy in my house, and I was correct. Also discovered my Plex/BlueIris server typically uses more energy than my water heater per day. (it is the "Bedroom/Hall" circuit in this picture.)

A lot of info!

Garage panel with Emporia installed

House panel with Emporia installed.

That is really cool! Thanks for all the pictures. What does "Flashing to ESPHome" mean? Is that just replacing whatever software/firmware came on the emporia device with something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

stevewm posted:

Finally got a Emporia Vue2 energy monitor installed on both of my electrical panels. Flashed both to ESPHome.

Really digging Home Assistant's Energy system. Works well with multiple monitoring sources.

Finally have some insight on how much charging my car really costs. I figured it was the biggest user of energy in my house, and I was correct. Also discovered my Plex/BlueIris server typically uses more energy than my water heater per day. (it is the "Bedroom/Hall" circuit in this picture.)

A lot of info!

Garage panel with Emporia installed

House panel with Emporia installed.

This is really awesome, nice job! Did you de-energize your entire house during installation? Or you didn't have to since you're just clamping the monitors on?

We're a family of 7 and our electric bill is always sky high so I'd love to have this setup on my house. I'm pretty heavily invested in Homebridge/HomeKit, so it would be a huge pain to switch to HA I think.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh that is neat. So it's just current sense clamps on all the circuits? very cool.

It would be nice if panels started having the facility to have this a little more built in!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hed posted:

That is really cool! Thanks for all the pictures. What does "Flashing to ESPHome" mean? Is that just replacing whatever software/firmware came on the emporia device with something else?

In its stock form, the device is supported in Home Assistant via a community maintained integration. But that integration relies on Emporia's cloud service to get readings. Being a ESP32 based device, it can be flashed with a ESPHome based firmware that turns it into a completely local device that works natively inside Home Assistant. Flashing does require knowledge of flashing ESP devices and a bit of soldering however.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is really awesome, nice job! Did you de-energize your entire house during installation? Or you didn't have to since you're just clamping the monitors on?

We're a family of 7 and our electric bill is always sky high so I'd love to have this setup on my house. I'm pretty heavily invested in Homebridge/HomeKit, so it would be a huge pain to switch to HA I think.

I did it with the panels live, but I am comfortable working around electricity and know what not to touch. If you are not, I would suggest getting something like this professionally installed.

In addition to the clamps there are 4 wires that need to be connected. Red and Black each need to go to a breaker so that it can monitor the voltage of both hot legs. (assuming US split phase power). The blue and white need to go to the neutral. I did turn off and remove the breakers to attach the wires, as I had to pigtail them off existing breakers. They even include 2 pigtail wires and some wire nuts in the box for this.

The Emporia will work completely standalone in its stock form. It feeds the data into Emporia's cloud service which is accessed via a website or app. It has similar functionality as far as tracking power usage.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

priznat posted:

Oh that is neat. So it's just current sense clamps on all the circuits? very cool.

It would be nice if panels started having the facility to have this a little more built in!

Sense clamps on each hot leg and on every circuit. For 240v circuits, you only put a clamp on one of the legs and tell the software to double the readings on that circuit. There are 4 wires that have to be connected. 2 to 2 different breakers, and the remaining 2 to neutral. I pigtailed off 2 existing breakers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

The commercial (hugem expensive, for apartment complexes) ones I've seen are SIP, which is very interesting to me since my background is in telecom engineering/voip. I have no idea what the amcrest is doing for audio but it would surprise me if it were anything too exotic as far as protocols or codecs, but I'm also guessing it's impossible to configure.
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking about. VoIP is my day job and I've installed a few Viking SIP doorbells for my clients over the years. They're all horrible in their own unique ways but they generally work reliably once set up. One model even was able to work over a single pair using a remote mounted box for the actual ethernet end of things which might allow a no-new-wires install assuming the PO didn't gently caress up the doorbell wiring when they installed the Ring unit they have now.

quote:

I "messed up" configuring the first one I got, as in....I searched on amcrests site, downloaded and used an amcrest tool that absolutely see it and allows you to configure it, and it bricked and never came back again as soon as I hit save. Then on their forums I see "oh no never use that, only use THIS" and I just returned it to amazon as bad out of the box and ordered a new one. I mean...come ON.
I was already sort of annoyed at Amcrest because their web site's stupid chatbox thing won't take no for an answer and pops back up about 30 seconds after closing it, so that's more push towards the Reolinks that look more appealing anyways.

Three Olives posted:

Lutron Caseta, there are others, don't waste your time, Caseta works flawlessly without a neutral.
Ugh, Caseta uses proprietary wireless with a stupid expensive bridge, doesn't it? I actually bought some Caseta gear years ago and gave it to my brother because I didn't want to deal with that. I guess it's good to know it's an option if I have to, it is at least easy to find.

stevewm posted:

That is neat as gently caress and is definitely going on my list. For some reason I thought individual circuit-level monitoring solutions were more expensive than that.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

priznat posted:

Those panels exist (span.io, squareD, etc) - they also cost a fortune. Like $3000 vs $300, and then might also use custom circuit breakers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just buy a Caseta starter kit. It usually comes with a couple switches, a Pico, and a hub. The hub basically comes free. I’ve bought so many starter packs because the switches are cheaper than buying individually when they go on sale. I also have like 47 hubs laying around that aren’t really worth shipping to people when they essentially come for free in the packs.

The hub is partially what makes them so drat reliable. You don’t have 37 switches slamming your router all at once while all 3 TVs are streaming Netflix.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
If you want an alternative I've got a full house of inovelli z-wave switches and they have been rock solid for several years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

unknown posted:

Those panels exist (span.io, squareD, etc) - they also cost a fortune. Like $3000 vs $300, and then might also use custom circuit breakers.

I was thinking the panel just having metal flanges so you could mount the clamps and run the clamp sense wires out the back to keep it out of the panel, but that would probably get into all sorts of regulation. There would have to be some kind of standard sense clamp as well so one company doesn't have their special form factor that no one else can copy, like those fancy panels. Something non-proprietary and simple and allowed upgrading!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

stevewm posted:

In its stock form, the device is supported in Home Assistant via a community maintained integration. But that integration relies on Emporia's cloud service to get readings. Being a ESP32 based device, it can be flashed with a ESPHome based firmware that turns it into a completely local device that works natively inside Home Assistant. Flashing does require knowledge of flashing ESP devices and a bit of soldering however.

Do you miss having the Emporia app / seeing it on your phone? I have three Vues and haven't set up HA integration (yet), but in the ~2-3 years I've had them, I can't complain too much about the ability to export my data + the app has been pretty good.

However, the stock SW seems to have trouble understanding my solar setup / I'm not 100% on how to configure it correctly. My solar backfeeds through my rear subpanel, which is shared with my hot tub, and I'm not sure if I need to flip both the main panel Emporia to think it has solar as well.

wolrah posted:

Ugh, Caseta uses proprietary wireless with a stupid expensive bridge, doesn't it? I actually bought some Caseta gear years ago and gave it to my brother because I didn't want to deal with that. I guess it's good to know it's an option if I have to, it is at least easy to find.

Caseta is without a doubt the absolute best ecosystem in the wider world of IoT/smarthome/etc type poo poo. The hub is 100% worth it and I respect / applaud their decision to commit to a 315 MHz-based technology and require the hub -- it is the best engineering solution IMO. 315 MHz as a band is legislated for non-continuous transmissions (like car keyfobs), overall interference is low, penetration is great and power consumption is nil.

Now, Lutron being Lutron, there are some technically possible configurations that are not available via their system (ex: I want to share a single motion sensor and have it do different timeouts for different lights in my bathroom -- technically possible, difficult to do with their ecosystem) and I'd kill someone for a version of a Maestro motion-dimmer that was Caseta compatible (I want it to go to a different brightness based on time-of-day), but the switches are always switches if the Internet goes down / disappears.

Though, I want to say that when you configure a Pico remote... it's peer-to-peer, but I actually don't know if you need an operating hub to route traffic from a Pico to the requisite switch. Seeing as you can program a Pico to do a bunch of stuff, I imagine it has too... or maybe the Pico stores the IDs of the switches it controls and just broadcasts them in sequence.

priznat posted:

I was thinking the panel just having metal flanges so you could mount the clamps and run the clamp sense wires out the back to keep it out of the panel, but that would probably get into all sorts of regulation. There would have to be some kind of standard sense clamp as well so one company doesn't have their special form factor that no one else can copy, like those fancy panels. Something non-proprietary and simple and allowed upgrading!

When I get bored and replace my panel with a brand-new 52-space QO, I was thinking of epoxying the clamps in place or something to clean up the wiring. I got a PVC junction box and placed the Emporia unit itself in there, and then routed all the clamp connections through conduit to it... tried to keep the panel clean, only partially succesful. Alternately, I've also entertained shortening the leads of the clamps to the exact length required and re-crimping / re-soldering, but... effort.

movax fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 16, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The hub is partially what makes them so drat reliable. You don’t have 37 switches slamming your router all at once while all 3 TVs are streaming Netflix.
I'm fine with a hub, I just don't want a proprietary single-vendor one if I can reasonably avoid it. Zigbee or Z-Wave would be the preferred options. I'm going to try migrating my Hue setup to direct Zigbee from HA as part of the move, so I have a slight preference in that direction but I'm pretty sure the stick I have can speak both.

TwoDice posted:

If you want an alternative I've got a full house of inovelli z-wave switches and they have been rock solid for several years.
Ooh yeah, isn't Linus from LTT pretty big in to these? I really like the LED indicator part and they do seem to explicitly advertise their no-neutral support.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 16, 2023

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

stevewm posted:

Sense clamps on each hot leg and on every circuit. For 240v circuits, you only put a clamp on one of the legs and tell the software to double the readings on that circuit. There are 4 wires that have to be connected. 2 to 2 different breakers, and the remaining 2 to neutral. I pigtailed off 2 existing breakers.
This looks super useful. My father has a place with a main breaker that splits off into three separate breakers for individual units and it's a hassle having to go and read the power off of them. This might be a good solution, but I'm not sure if I need to somehow get the full panel sensors for each one.

edit: I already have Home Assistant running there to keep an eye on temp and some sump water levels.

edit2: I should get something like this for myself anyway. Maybe I'll order it and if it doesn't work for the triplex, then I'll use it.

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 16, 2023

stevewm
May 10, 2005

movax posted:

Do you miss having the Emporia app / seeing it on your phone? I have three Vues and haven't set up HA integration (yet), but in the ~2-3 years I've had them, I can't complain too much about the ability to export my data + the app has been pretty good.

However, the stock SW seems to have trouble understanding my solar setup / I'm not 100% on how to configure it correctly. My solar backfeeds through my rear subpanel, which is shared with my hot tub, and I'm not sure if I need to flip both the main panel Emporia to think it has solar as well.

I never used them in their stock config with the Emporia app. They where flashed to ESPHome right out of the box. I use the Home Assistant companion app on my phone, which allows me to access anything added into HA.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

That is neat as gently caress and is definitely going on my list. For some reason I thought individual circuit-level monitoring solutions were more expensive than that.

Yeah that was my thought as well until I ran onto the Emporia devices thanks to a random Reddit post. My previous energy monitoring device (Aeotec Zwave home energy monitor) died back in December during a power outage, so I was looking for a replacement. It fit the bill quite well. And cheap enough I bought a 2nd one for my garage panel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

priznat posted:

No need to (re)invent anything. All of these home gamer systems are just stripped down and cheaper version of what's been available for literally decades.

Lots of places use them for metering power that they sell (think things like server colocation facilities).

Also, Henrik that garage panel is real bad. Nowhere close to even passing minimum code. It's sloppy and unworkmanlike. If you paid someone to do that don't ever hire them again.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ah nice, just figured it out with some helpful people that 6 of the 50A sensors should do me for my subpanels.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, after some more investigation I think I'm sold on the Emporia Vue. Thanks very much for getting me going down this rabbit hole, stevewm.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to try to flash it or not.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Interested in opinions on this.

Getting ready to roll my first Home Assistant setup. I’ve been running entirely on HomeKit/whatever app supports whatever product I’m using and want to unify it all and get deeper/better automations going.

Plan is to install HA on a RP4b. Maybe on a NUC or other small server style system later. I’d also like to have PiHole run in a separate container, and if I move to the NUC probably other stuff.

It it worth trying to gently caress around with a supervisor mode docker install on a rp4b, or should I just run the HAOS install? I’m not super experienced in Linux or docker, but I’m also not afraid of getting dirty and learning it. I tend to not have much trouble learning such stuff. If I do go docker, which OS should I run on the Pi?

The docker system is appealing to me just from an ease of keeping things easy to nuke and rebuild or run test environments, plus the ability to run multiple systems like PiHole without interfering (ie I don’t wanna reboot Pihole when needing to reboot the HA instance).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

You could just run the HAOS image for now and use the AdGuard Home add on (https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-adguard-home) until you’re ready to move to a full containerized system.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm thinking of doing the same, if only for automations like "if kid leaves light on for 30 mins, turn it off." I'm also completely on HomeKit, have Hue/Aqara/Lutron hubs, and use Homebridge plugins on my RPi for everything else. Would it be a gigantic PITA to convert everything to HA?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I'm thinking of doing the same, if only for automations like "if kid leaves light on for 30 mins, turn it off." I'm also completely on HomeKit, have Hue/Aqara/Lutron hubs, and use Homebridge plugins on my RPi for everything else. Would it be a gigantic PITA to convert everything to HA?

I had a similar setup with homebridge, but most of the reason I’m switching is because apple home’s automations are super limited and pretty awful. I’m hoping for significantly more automation control.

Kalman posted:

You could just run the HAOS image for now and use the AdGuard Home add on (https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-adguard-home) until you’re ready to move to a full containerized system.

That’s not a bad idea I guess. My time is fairly limited so I don’t love the idea of having to rebuild a setup later to convert over to PiHole or whatever, but if just doing straight docker in supervisor mode is stupid I won’t.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Shoutout to homebridge, it's so stable I couldn't remember what the login was to it when I wanted to try to see if I could add an echo plug with it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I had a similar setup with homebridge, but most of the reason I’m switching is because apple home’s automations are super limited and pretty awful. I’m hoping for significantly more automation control.

Yeah that’s kinda why I want to switch. The apple ones are lackluster.

I assume I’d need a zigbee USB stick? Does that replace my random hubs? My only disadvantage is that my Pi is in the corner of my house, while my router and hubs are currently in the middle, providing better coverage.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

If your existing hubs have integrations for HA I don’t think you’d need to switch?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah that’s kinda why I want to switch. The apple ones are lackluster.

I assume I’d need a zigbee USB stick? Does that replace my random hubs? My only disadvantage is that my Pi is in the corner of my house, while my router and hubs are currently in the middle, providing better coverage.

I haven’t done it yet so I only have a basic understanding, but I believe you do not need new hubs here provided those hubs have a home assistant integration. Home assistant should be able to talk to those hubs.

Also, I would not want a device controlling all of my automations to be on a weak WiFi signal. That might be something you want to correct (as in move pi closer to router, nothing else should need to move).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh that would be rad if I could still use the hubs. I haven’t read to much about the actual hardware implementation, but it would be way less work than I thought if I could use my hubs.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

So for my HA install, I use the Hue integration with the Hue hub and it works perfectly. Can’t speak to Lutron but I think that one has a well-supported integration.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So…. Does the HA app completely replace using the iOS Home app? Or can they be used in parallel?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I use them in parallel because I like being able to say “hey siri turn off the lights downstairs.” Works fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I definitely didn’t want to lose that functionality. Glad to know you can use them in parallel. Thanks.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Is there a WiFi /ZigBee / whatever solution for tracking pet presence? It would be nice if I could run my vacuum automatically when I take the dog for a walk.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TVGM posted:

Is there a WiFi /ZigBee / whatever solution for tracking pet presence? It would be nice if I could run my vacuum automatically when I take the dog for a walk.

I think for this I’d personally put a button/ nfc tag near the leash and set it to 5 minutes after activation, or some kind of tracker on the leash itself.

I think it’d be difficult to track a pet with motion or IPR or mmwave or similar unless it’s 100% confined to one room. It’s typically not advised to put trackers directly on pets due to swallow risk.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

airtag on the collar if there is a way to tie those into presence detection for your home software platform of choice. that said i like the suggestion above mine

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I think for this I’d personally put a button/ nfc tag near the leash and set it to 5 minutes after activation, or some kind of tracker on the leash itself.

Good idea, thanks!

That Works posted:

airtag on the collar if there is a way to tie those into presence detection for your home software platform of choice. that said i like the suggestion above mine

Unfortunately it looks like Airtags are a bit convoluted to use with Home Assistant, but maybe some day.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/is-there-any-way-to-track-apple-airtags-via-home-assistant/389049

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Depending on your desired budget, Whistle has a gps dog tracker that can be integrated. It's a bit pricey at $110+$80/year but it can be used as a person entity.

A button by the leash is probably the least effort though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This sounds like what you want?
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/ibeacon

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Anyone use anything like this in their house:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/networking/inside-the-structured-media-enclosure

Seen them in apartments past. Seems useful, but they don't seem particularly "old work" compatible.

Have a 2-gang wall plate with keystone jacks in the laundry room right now, which is where we keep all our network stuff. Would like to have something nicer than that, and also need something downstairs. Looking to something like this, but not sure if this is the best thing to get or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Anyone use anything like this in their house:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/networking/inside-the-structured-media-enclosure

Seen them in apartments past. Seems useful, but they don't seem particularly "old work" compatible.

Have a 2-gang wall plate with keystone jacks in the laundry room right now, which is where we keep all our network stuff. Would like to have something nicer than that, and also need something downstairs. Looking to something like this, but not sure if this is the best thing to get or what.

I don’t have any advice but I really love the look of this. Seems pricy though.