Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

New glaive from this week is awesome. Between it, winter, and judgement I'm loving these drat things now. Getting tons of fun out of voidlock/winter's guile/vex. Too bad about how poo poo can still one shot you for ~reasons~. Also getting architect'd more than ever, poo poo is buggy as gently caress in game. I hadn't had the invisible people/weapons glitch until today and goddamn is that annoying. Seemed like for every ten minutes of fun there was an hour of overtuned bullshit. Thank gently caress for gambit, because invading/anti invasion is still awesome. Also banking shitloads of motes for my pal drifter, who actually pays me to have fun and hates cops as much as I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i cannot wait for asher to return. i hope he and eris get a reunion scene. they deserve it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4OtONJlnQA

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

fast cars loose anus posted:

Disconnected in the middle of the enter codes part of the exotic quest, so now I have to start that over and god do I not want to.

Every single loving encounter in Lightfall is made "engaging" by infinite spawns and excruciatingly long no-respawn sections. Whoever designed these missions is a total hack who's out of ideas and it's really loving grating.

The constant spawns are pretty annoying. Their idea of "more challenging" seems to be more enemies, faster spawns, higher HP pools, and not allowing you to burn bosses. You must to fight them through every phase.
Being constantly under attack just gets exhausting over time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

its all nice on rice posted:

The constant spawns are pretty annoying. Their idea of "more challenging" seems to be more enemies, faster spawns, higher HP pools, and not allowing you to burn bosses. You must to fight them through every phase.

I'm strategically going to only get to season pass level 100 (for all the claimable goodies I paid money for), do the seasonal quests, then do nothing (literally grind for nothing, not patterns, not power, not anything) until next season. At which point the power cap going up again will solve all my neomuna problems which are essentially mag dumping to kill 1 red bar in a patrol zone isn't the best experience. Sure I could grind out power levels eventually so patrols aren't a slog but lmao I got better things to do.

edit - I got to season pass level 25 in one week so I think I'm on track to knocking this objective out in a timely manner then chilling.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 8, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Power level isn't going up next season, sorry. They're trying something new, so that kind of fucks up that plan for you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

Power level isn't going up next season, sorry. They're trying something new, so that kind of fucks up that plan for you.

Boo. Hiss.

However thanks for the heads up. I try to follow everything but missed that important nugget. Ah well. Got a whole year of this.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

this is like the definition of different strokes

I loved it, a mission where I could absolutely cut loose and detonate everything in sight with all the aoe toys they've given us was a ton of fun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but it feels like that doesn’t actually accomplish anything when they all just respawn and now the blow them all up button is on cooldown

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

haveblue posted:

Yeah but it feels like that doesn’t actually accomplish anything when they all just respawn and now the blow them all up button is on cooldown

that's my secret cap, I'm never on cooldown

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is this Favor system new to this season? (last season was the only real seasonal content I've ever done) because I really like it. Being able to use my grenade and melee powers a ton makes the maps way more fun than just plinking with guns like normal.

The ambush room in the new map especially with tons of melee recharge favors drop loving rules as Broodweaver. Just constant Strand Bombchu chaos.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah Favor is a new seasonal mechanic and it’s cool

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ex post facho posted:

They're extremely doable with the right load outs imo. With the aforementioned osteo and necro grips I did a master lost sector at 1795. Wasn't fun but did it. Legendary is also ezpz with em.
That chain of discussion started with Kesper saying they don't have necrotic grips because they haven't been able to complete a LLS, infortunately.

Ironically it's one of the few things you can't just get someone on LFG / discord to carry you through, because you only get the exotic chance if you're solo (or at least it used to be, again that might have changed).

victrix posted:

this is like the definition of different strokes

I loved it, a mission where I could absolutely cut loose and detonate everything in sight with all the aoe toys they've given us was a ton of fun
Part of the problem is that the 'different strokes' argument sort of falls apart because they did this to normal difficulty as well. If it's not your thing, you can't opt out other than by not playing the game.

There were a bunch of points in the campaign which were just annoying - the first bit where you're trying to beat Calus to the veil, and the game expects you to push into an area where drop pods keep instagibbing you, because the boss is hiding at the back behind cover.

It also really highlights the issues with autoaim on console because you basically can't snipe any more - the increased enemy density pulls your reticle all over the place. If there's even one add in front of you, you can't snipe; and there's always an add in front of you because they just keep spawning.

I've also had a few times when i've tried to grapple melee, and at the last second I get turned 90° and lock onto a different enemy beside me, and do a normal uncharged slap, leaving me in the middle of a group of unexploded and very angry enemies.

Yes, the increased enemy density is fun most of the time, but the infinite spawns just make certain sections an unfun slog. I thought this with the heists last season - I realised I was just ignoring the adds and getting overwhelmed (especially at the shrieker boss) and I realised its because its pointless trying to manage them. The wizards respawn almost instantly so killing them might buy someone a second to hit the platform, but if you focus on that one wizard who is always ahead of you in power level, there's a room full of acolytes chipping away at you and it's just constant.

Yes, it's not a darkness zone so you never wipe and you can get through it eventually, but man is it an unfun slog.

There's a difference between 'this is hard' and 'this is relentless and annoying and is dragging the pace of the mission,' and the latter is dangerous territory for Destiny, because thus far the game has historically weathered any story complaints by being very fun to play at its core. If they gently caress that up, they risk breaking trust thermocline.

I've been very interested reading people on twitter particularly complain about the difficulty being "unfun" because it seems like everyone complimented the difficulty of witch queen legendary, said it was perfect, and for some reason the dense motherfuckers have gone "Got it, you want it to be harder than witch queen legendary" and added a bunch of bullshit on top of that. And we've finally managed to hit a point where this increased difficulty is high enough that its started to annoy legendary players as well.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 8, 2023

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

If power level were gonna be raised next season, wouldn't it only increase the floor by 10 anyway?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is this Favor system new to this season? (last season was the only real seasonal content I've ever done) because I really like it. Being able to use my grenade and melee powers a ton makes the maps way more fun than just plinking with guns like normal.

The ambush room in the new map especially with tons of melee recharge favors drop loving rules as Broodweaver. Just constant Strand Bombchu chaos.

It's new but recycled from the star horse thing

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kith posted:

i cannot wait for asher to return. i hope he and eris get a reunion scene. they deserve it

For sure, I loved that whole storyline

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Playing on console has inadvertently determined what builds I can play. I’ve always hated hunter, probably because of the mobility and precision needed to utilize their skills. It’s probably why my most played build is Necrotic Grip Osteo/Thorn Warlock or Ashen Wake Titan. At least with those I have some leeway to not have need to land headshots constantly.

I’m trying the campaign on legendary with a Strand Titan, but it’s pretty drat hard. It’s incredibly difficult to shoot Tangles because if an enemy is anywhere near them my reticle gets pulled constantly. Even melee is hard because I have to have my sensitivity low enough to be able to hit targets at 10+ meters, but that means I’m turning slow as gently caress when I’m in melee.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Void Hunter is stronger than ever with the new mod system and no more match game. An invisiblity + volatile rounds build does not require much precision at all.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah but then you have to play Hunter 🤢

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
It’s really the season of void :blastu:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Some exec went into a meeting with a PowerPoint slide that had “Longer Playtime = $$$” on it and its broken live service game development brains.

All these difficulty tweaks are aimed at longer playtimes for all content, they tried progressively longer grinds last season for loot (look at Deepsight drop rates over the course of the 4 seasons) and that got rejected hard. Now they are trying to make it harder, so it takes longer and have twiddled several difficulty knobs simultaneously.

Legendary primary weapon damage being awful, coupled with faster spawn rates, increased mob health and damage due to enforced power delta and reduced build options is in danger of just making the gameplay a slog where you turtle somewhere waiting for your grenade to come back.

This isn’t mentioning the frame rate bug where several attacks instagib you at 60 FPS+

Dangerous ground to be on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sunday at work posted:

Void Hunter is stronger than ever with the new mod system and no more match game. An invisiblity + volatile rounds build does not require much precision at all.

I like bricks from beyond that gets you endless heavy ammo for using heavy ammo and it’s all volatile and holy gently caress it’s so fun. Doubly fun because basically anything that isn’t a red bar enemy counts for it. Even poo poo that isn’t enemies! Oracles in VoG? Bricks for days!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

It’s really the season of void :blastu:

void has very quickly become my go-to nuke everything build. even running a lot of content 10 LL lower because I'm still in the 1750's somewhere has rooms just blowing up in void damage and suppression zones.

Ran the Vexcalibur quest with a friend last night and the only times we wiped was when he'd go down and I would run in and try to revive him.

like hey maybe instead of floating around the boss encounter and then complaining that everything needs its difficulty tuned down because there's no hard cover to duck behind when you're warlock glding around you like, get behind a rally barricade or introduce some self healing into your build?

no, if it can't be destroyed with solar grenade spam, it must be because Bungie is incompetent :eng101:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

void has very quickly become my go-to nuke everything build. even running a lot of content 10 LL lower because I'm still in the 1750's somewhere has rooms just blowing up in void damage and suppression zones.

Ran the Vexcalibur quest with a friend last night and the only times we wiped was when he'd go down and I would run in and try to revive him.

like hey maybe instead of floating around the boss encounter and then complaining that everything needs its difficulty tuned down because there's no hard cover to duck behind when you're warlock glding around you like, get behind a rally barricade or introduce some self healing into your build?

no, if it can't be destroyed with solar grenade spam, it must be because Bungie is incompetent :eng101:

I soloed that stuff with a contraverse void warlock using an osmosis Bro’dblok-C, a repulsor brace Harsh Language and Deterministic Chaos. Devour plus overshield plus volitile rounds is….good

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I soloed that stuff with a contraverse void warlock using an osmosis Bro’dblok-C, a repulsor brace Harsh Language and Deterministic Chaos. Devour plus overshield plus volitile rounds is….good

i am very gradually coming to the conclusion that my friend is Bad at Destiny, despite having played since the beta days of D1

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's a difference between 'this is hard' and 'this is relentless and annoying and is dragging the pace of the mission,' and the latter is dangerous territory for Destiny, because thus far the game has historically weathered any story complaints by being very fun to play at its core. If they gently caress that up, they risk breaking trust thermocline.

This is why I’ve been side-eyeing all the talk Blackburn had about “bringing challenge back to Destiny” and all the demands from hardcore players that the game needed to be more difficult - anything much more difficult than Witch Queen’s legendary campaign brings us to gameplay that isn’t a power fantasy and isn’t fun. The day Grandmasters go back to the day where basically the only way to beat them is three Titans with Ursa Furiosa is the day I stop playing them. Right now they’ve overcorrected and Neomuna sucks rear end to do activities in because all my weapons feel like pea shooters even though I’m 1780. It’s not that I don’t like hard games, it’s that this particular kind of game design sucks and feels bad once you start ratcheting up the difficulty. This isn’t a platformer with airtight controls, it’s a flying space wizard shooter.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

I think this is ultimately what it is for me. I feel exhausted after finishing a fight in Lightfall, in Witch Queen I felt a rush of accomplishment and adrenaline. Combine that with things like a powered strand melee not even one-shotting a red bar on Neomuna and it's just sort of slow-feeling and I like the Destiny that's fast-paced and blowing poo poo up all the time

I do like the void build that Titans have now

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

“hardcore players” are universally stupid as gently caress and suck poo poo and should never be catered to. I’m still having fun but I’d like to play more brainlessly than I have been, I’m way behind on my pcasts 😩

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
If I wanted to play a game where it took 2 mags to drop a red bar enemy I’d go play Division 2 where I at least get to shoot right wing reactionaries while doing it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

“hardcore players” are universally stupid as gently caress and suck poo poo and should never be catered to. I’m still having fun but I’d like to play more brainlessly than I have been, I’m way behind on my pcasts 😩

Would it be correct to presume you're already familiar with the other Strand-type podcasting game out there?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Void warlock with devour is a good option if you’re having issues with content. You simply choose to not die and beat the content instead.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Void warlock with devour is a good option if you’re having issues with content. You simply choose to not die and beat the content instead.

Friend is convinced that voidlock is bad, 0/10, literally unplayable, meanwhile I'm kicking off health regen on kill, on melee hit, and on rally barricade deployment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like how I saw my first guardian rank 7 today and I didn't think "wow that guy's good at the game" but rather "how much time did he spend cheesing commendations"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Actually I have a question re the rank thing. So, if the 7+ ranks reset each season, but you can't actually do any of the higher rank stuff until you unlock one, does that mean I can never check off any of the level 8 stuff, even if I do it, until/unless I grind enough power and commendations to finish rank 7? Because I'm almost certainly not going to but that seems silly to lock it that way.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going to assume some of the high rank stuff might be retroactive.

But also, not everything from 7+ resets, just certain items, like doing seasonal stuff. Apparently some commendation score will carry over too. I also assume a lot of the angry reddit feedback will solicit them lowering the more grindy requirements, particularly in future seasons.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
It sucks but AAA is at a point where the only thing that is going to break the hold content creators have over developers is a major title taking a really big hit or flat out dying after too much catering to people who play for a living.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sunday at work posted:

It sucks but AAA is at a point where the only thing that is going to break the hold content creators have over developers is a major title taking a really big hit or flat out dying after too much catering to people who play for a living.

been saying this

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

can confirm, am stupid as gently caress

also adding to the choir of people who solo'd the variable; did it on strandlock. My normal swarmers+grapple+anarchy build got me through til the boss where I swapped over to wendy and shackle nades for maximum burst damage and crowd control. It was really loving fun, definitely my fave of all the exotic missions so far

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

This is why I’ve been side-eyeing all the talk Blackburn had about “bringing challenge back to Destiny” and all the demands from hardcore players that the game needed to be more difficult - anything much more difficult than Witch Queen’s legendary campaign brings us to gameplay that isn’t a power fantasy and isn’t fun. The day Grandmasters go back to the day where basically the only way to beat them is three Titans with Ursa Furiosa is the day I stop playing them. Right now they’ve overcorrected and Neomuna sucks rear end to do activities in because all my weapons feel like pea shooters even though I’m 1780. It’s not that I don’t like hard games, it’s that this particular kind of game design sucks and feels bad once you start ratcheting up the difficulty. This isn’t a platformer with airtight controls, it’s a flying space wizard shooter.

I saw a dude fondly using rose tinted glasses for the days of D1 finding a hiding spot to plink at a boss for 10 minutes and I could never understand how that's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Fodder enemies should definitely not take an entire clip to kill. I had a great time with the campaign, where the difficulty was well balanced. I failed Calus a couple times but felt good about it. When you beat the campaign the game unfortunately must turn back into an MMO.

Feels like I'm doing content that's higher than my power level and getting rewards that are lower than it. And I don't know which activities the game wants me to do in order to gear up. I guess it's the surefire way to keep the regular destiny players from burning through everything but I'm definitely a once a year player.