Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
You can turn it off by making more concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

yoloer420 posted:

You can turn it off by making more concrete.

I feel like the concrete that requires steel sticks and steel is too big of an ask, but I rarely feel compelled to go beyond just laying normal-rear end concrete.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's refined concrete, how much could it cost? 100 sticks?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Endgame is all about how many exoskeletons you can put on your armor. Refined concrete just multiplies that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I am using refined concrete, actually. I think it looks way better than regular concrete.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I use a mix of stuff. Refined concrete is primarily walkways / around factories, then I’ll do a mix of regular concrete and stone to make the factory look nice.

The warning concrete is important too.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
The Mapshot mod is pretty cool.

My Industrial Revolution 3 base, with a new chunk-aligned city blocks pattern I designed for this run.

In Industrial Revolution, there's not much speed difference between different pavement tiles, so I focused on making the walkable roads look like roads.

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 4, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phssthpok posted:

The Mapshot mod is pretty cool.

My Industrial Revolution 3 base, with a new chunk-aligned city blocks pattern I designed for this run.

In Industrial Revolution, there's not much speed difference between different pavement tiles, so I focused on making the walkable roads look like roads.

That's a pretty base, and yeah, that looks like a cool screenshot tool, going to have to use that when I get the itch to start playing again!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Is LTN still really the only game in town if you want a single train to carry multiple different resources? There's also cybersyn but that seems even more complicated than LTN, though it might work better?

I guess using a single route that goes like depot->pickup #1->dropoff #1->depot->pickup #2->dropoff #2-> and circuit network to disable both the pickup and drop-off at the same time when not needed?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I'm trying to install Industrial Revolution 3 but it won't activate because it says it's asset packs and enabled. The Asset packs aren't enabled because they say Industrial Revolution 3 isn't enabled. I've never had a weird dependency loop like this, I've removed and readded them many times, anyone else run into this?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have launched the rocket! 64:04:08, very slow time I imagine. A lot of that was waiting during night as I had solar power and no batteries for a large chunk of the game. That was in an effort to avoid pollution and bug attacks.

I didn't think about the invisible power lines mod I used would disable achievements. Whoops :D

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 5, 2023

The General
Mar 4, 2007

From what I understand, any mods no matter what disable achievements.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Blue science is basically magic in Angel Bob's. I turned it on and all my copper and tin disappeared :smugwizard:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

The General posted:

From what I understand, any mods no matter what disable achievements.

The game can/will still track achievements but they don't get sent to steam, is my understanding.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

goodness posted:

I didn't think about the invisible power lines mod I used would disable achievements. Whoops :D

Loading a savegame without any mods active enables achievements for that save. Just disable all of them, reload your savegame before launching the rocket, launch and you're good.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

The game can/will still track achievements but they don't get sent to steam, is my understanding.

If you can't show them off to your theoretical friends, what's the point?

With that said, I've decided what I'm going to do next in Factorio, think I'm going to turn off biters and go for the Lazy Bastard cheevo.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You can't completely turn them off or set them to peaceful for the achievement. You can however turn off pollution, which is almost as good.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I mean I've done multiple games with biters completely off and mods installed, and the game still keeps track of Lazy Bastard for you if you turn on the achievement tracking thing.

The game is like 10 years old, do whatever you find satisfying for yourself. Everybody's done everything crazy at this point. The reddit karma has already been farmed.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 5, 2023

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Looks like I was wrong. Turning off biters only disables all the speedrun achievements, and the 'win without solar / laser' ones, not lazy bastard.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
When I played modded X3TC, I would use Steam Achievement Manager to manually record the equivalent vanilla achievements when I reached milestones in my modded game :c00lbert:

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
God bless Wube for using lua for mods, deleted the bit of code that destroys bots from robot attrition and carrying on with my space base.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Suran37 posted:

God bless Wube for using lua for mods, deleted the bit of code that destroys bots from robot attrition and carrying on with my space base.

Yeah it's nice being able to undo the occasional horrible choice by a mod developer, or tweak something that you know will never get fixed on its own because you're the only one using it that way.

lua is kind of a weird language but I know it has some advantages for game scripting. At least it's something like that and not the horrible C# intercepting mods like ONI uses, which are a nightmare to maintain.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If you really want to do it normally you can look up the speedrun settings for a map with abundant resources where biters might as well not exist.

Suran37 posted:

This is every time I think about running SE and realize I'd be in a fight against a bot hater who also made the mod.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Suran37 posted:

Oh that's a good idea. You happen to know the line numbers I need to delete?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Careful! Never know how they will react! Wasn't it the Krastorio developer who pissed himself because people were talking about forking and/or playing his mod 'wrong'?

(I have no reason to think the SE developer is that way.)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think you swapped the developers. The SE guy is very strict about his mod.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

AFAIK the Krastorio dev never did anything screwy. I believe they stopped development and just handed it off to the community for maintenance.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Instead of playing SE I watched three hours and forty six minutes of YouTube. Dosh has a four video series on his adventure through it with two companions. The mod looks like a bit more slog than entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRJ-CcwvrI

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Teledahn posted:

Instead of playing SE I watched three hours and forty six minutes of YouTube. Dosh has a four video series on his adventure through it with two companions. The mod looks like a bit more slog than entertainment.

Same. I now know I never want to play it.

That last space station train station, though. A work of art.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The Industrial Revolution mod guy is supposedly very protective of his mod and will DMCA you if you put gameplay of his mod on youtube

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

LtSmash posted:

Oh that's a good idea. You happen to know the line numbers I need to delete?

control.lua, line 304, the one that says "Event.addListener(defines.events.on_tick, on_tick)". This stops its main bit from running every tick so as an added benefit you're not paying a UPS cost for the privilege of having your bots explode.

Do that, install this mod that moves logistics chests back to a more reasonable place in the tech tree, disable coronal mass ejections, and Space Exploration is pretty fun. There's still the awful burner phase at the start but that's like 0.1% of a SE run.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I'm not really interested in gameplay mods, I'm very happy with vanilla balancing and content.

But is there a list of recommended mods regarding QOL or dunno... mapgens? circuit shortcuts?
I wish i could explain it better, this post must read as "i want mods which don't mod anything"....

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
One could read your post as "are there any nice mods that don't really change recipes" which I think is a perfectly reasonable question to ask and to which the answer is yes:

Little mods that don't change recipes
- honk makes trains honk
- Wire Shortcuts X makes placing circuit and electrical connections by hand free; these are a trivial cost and having them consume resources mostly just puts a time tax on you when you have to walk your rear end back to your mall to get more, who cares
- helmod or factoryplanner introduce new ui to help you plan a base production tree; helmod can do some stuff FP can't, FP has a nicer UI, for vanilla recipes they're pretty much the same
- clockwork lets you configure how day/night works to make day longer or shorter
- bottleneck lite puts little lights on buildings that tell you at a glance if they're input-starved, output full, etc
- recipebook lets you look up recipes, though this might not be super useful in vanilla
- long and far reach does what it says on the tin; i also consider this an attention/time tax avoider, though you can also use it to turret creep much more safely, so if that feels like cheating maybe don't (or Just Don't Do That)
- module inserter lets you automate putting modules in buildings
- smart belt immunity belt immunity automatically turns off when you're moving the same direction as the belt

Mods that add leaf-node production and/or research i.e. you gotta research something or build a building or item to use them, but it's not changing the production or research tree or dependencies just tacking something on at the end
- LTN or TSM or new entrant cybersyn let you do more advanced behaviors with trains; they used to really be needed but since train limits were added are mostly about a different style of train management or avoiding doing the circuits yourself;
- a loader mod lets you make these loaders that are faster than assemblers, simplifies train station design a bunch
- pressurized fluids lets you do Less Pipe poo poo although it may also feel cheaty (and not be super necessary)

Mods that change a LOT but technically not recipes
- Rampant changes bot AI to make them much more of a challenge (don't go hog wild with this one unless you use something that adds more kinds of turrets tho)
- RSO overhauls map generation to instead have different "regions" with different behaviors
- alien biomes makes the ground much more interesting; fair warning some of them make you slow

and lots more!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Tiny Bug Child posted:

control.lua, line 304, the one that says "Event.addListener(defines.events.on_tick, on_tick)". This stops its main bit from running every tick so as an added benefit you're not paying a UPS cost for the privilege of having your bots explode.

Do that, install this mod that moves logistics chests back to a more reasonable place in the tech tree, disable coronal mass ejections, and Space Exploration is pretty fun. There's still the awful burner phase at the start but that's like 0.1% of a SE run.

The recipe design is so bad though. I 100% agree with Dosh's critique (everything spits out sand or stone byproducts just because "it should be hard", and everything is super linear with no interactions between chains), but it extends even further IMO. Like, space production seems like it's explicitly designed to strongly discourage any logistics solution other than bot spaghetti (scaffolding is really loving expensive, space belts are even more expensive while also being worse than regular belts, all the item volumes are really low and you get a ton of garbage byproducts everywhere). Why??? The mods on the SE discord claim that SE is "designed with no voiding in mind" but all the recipe chains clearly incentivize just turning byproducts into landfill because doing anything interesting with them is usually both tedious and pretty meaningless.

Also, for a mod about going to space it sure seems to dislike actually having fun with going to and through space. The capsule code in particular is hilarious. For example, SE crashes the game if it detects something's increased the stack size or fuel value of solid rocket fuel, because the creator is extremely concerned about players using the non-automatable capsule to transport stuff between planets. It's very carefully tuned to only allow you to leave the largest planets with a completely empty inventory. But that doesn't cover all the loopholes, so there's also a ton of code that attempts to detect and ban people from taking containers with them in the capsule. It's incredibly stupid.

I also tried to mod meteors out (another pointless tedium mechanic) but it's fairly annoying and I didn't want to maintain a fork of the main mod. Rocket crash chance would be good to get rid of too, unreliable logistics are borderline unacceptable.

SE is fundamentally anti-Factorio in its design. Factorio has an intended way to play but can be configured in a gazillion ways and then modded on top of that to make it into a game that is fun for you. SE only allows you do to things in ways that the SE author thinks are fun for you.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 8, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Teledahn posted:

I'm actually playing SE right now (in regards to a previous comment here about mods that make power generation more of a thing). There's pretty much 0% chance I actually finish it, but it's pretty fun so far. Making new bases on different planets with limited transport of stuff between them is an interesting spin on base design.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 8, 2023

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

TheFluff posted:

SE is fundamentally anti-Factorio in its design. Factorio has an intended way to play but can be configured in a gazillion ways and then modded on top of that to make it into a game that is fun for you. SE only allows you do to things in ways that the SE author thinks are fun for you.

I'm not even sure that last bit is true, I'm pretty sure the SE author only wants you have fun in the "right" way, like the people that get mad about someone using cheat codes in a single player game.

I've beaten Seablock and am looking at firing up Pyanodon's for fun and SE looks like absolutely tedious gate-keeping garbage. Hearing about the absurd lengths (and UPS costs) the modder has gone to in order to ensure "purity" for what amounts to a material transport cost/void and watching that video of Dosh's just reminds me of the bad old days of mods designed to break in the presence of other mods over petty feuds.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Cool, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!

(honk)

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well poo poo! My bad, sorry for implying the Krastorio mod author was a dick, I was clearly remembering it backwards.

TheFluff posted:

Also, for a mod about going to space it sure seems to dislike actually having fun with going to and through space. The capsule code in particular is hilarious. For example SE crashes the game if it detects something's increased the stack size or fuel value of solid rocket fuel because the creator is extremely concerned about players using the non-automatable capsule to transport stuff between planets and it's very carefully tuned to only allow you to leave the largest planets with a completely empty inventory. But that doesn't cover all the loopholes, so there's also a ton of code that attempts to detect and ban people from taking containers with them in the capsule. It's incredibly stupid.

I also tried to mod meteors out (another pointless tedium mechanic) but it's fairly annoying and I didn't want to maintain a fork of the main mod. Rocket crash chance would be good to get rid of too, unreliable logistics are borderline unacceptable.

Ha ha, holy poo poo that is so pathetic.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A few more mods that don't change the game all that much, but make large bases a bit easier.
Auto Deconstruct: This automatically marks miners for deconstruction when their resource is exhausted. This is mostly for my OCD, and I found myself spending tons of time marking mines manually.
Mining Patch Planner: I setup a lot of mines, and I'm playing railworld so the patches are massive, so anything to make that a bit easier is appreciated.
Well Planner: Same but or oil wells, bonus because there's no way to "blueprint" pumpjack layouts, so it's either this or totally manually.
Long Range Radar: I think this is the radar mod I use. The regular radar range just isn't big enough for RSO/railworld, so this is a radar that scans out farther.
Explosive Excavation: Lets you create water with explosives. This can be as cheaty or not cheaty as you want. I still place my nuclear power plants against real lakes, but for remote production bases that need a pump or two of water I just use this.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I watched Dosh's video as well and I knew after like the first episode I'd never play SE myself. I enjoyed Dosh's videos on it alot though. It has a bunch of cool mechanics wrapped in so much tedium I wouldn't be able to get through even a portion of it without getting frustrated. But to give credit, it's a neat idea. The space elevator and riding trains up it was really freaking cool to watch. Moving between different worlds and having multiple bases also seems very neat. But it seemed like even Dosh was getting burned out by the bullshit and the modder literally installing checks to ensure mod purity is just the icing on the cake.