Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

i absolutely cannot wait for there to be a presidential candidate that dedicates time to whats important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Stereotype posted:

*blows smoke from gun*

excuse me but we are all looking respectfully at Gaia

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
has anybody in here read Catton’s Birnam Wood? it sounds like it was basically written for a strange fowl, being about guerrilla gardening in nz; but is it any good?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

the next person irl who says "yes but the planet has always gone though natural cooling and warming cycles" is going to jokerfy me so hard

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

a strange fowl posted:

everybody itt should create and maintain a local watering point for the animals. it's a surprisingly complex science to get it right, and it makes you feel good about yourself. the hotter it gets, the more productive you feel

once i have a bit more money i am going to do this

we currently have a bird bath out the back (that has been claimed by the willy wagtails who refuse to let any other bird use it), and we leave a dish out the front that we top up with water for the magpies and ravens. need to gently caress around with the reticulation out the front and connect it to a bird bath/fountain so every time the garden sprinklers come on it tops up the water.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

*blows smoke from gun*

Clathratemy Jane

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Decades posted:

Wow what a lovely post.

Seems as good a time as any to offer an update on my life, which is cool and good.

I’ve now worked as an assistant arborist at one of my city’s better local tree companies for about six months. Ground work has been the bulk of it, but I’ve also gotten the opportunity to climb on the job a dozen or so times so far. It’s a bit anxiety inducing, but less so than driving work trucks, and both are getting easier. Being up in a tree is pretty exciting, inspiring stuff. Working outside all the time owns, even in the winter, though rainy days are not my favorite. It's hard, and someone unable to find enjoyment in grindy physical activity would hate it, but besides tweaking my back a bit recently swinging a pickaxe, my body has held up well.

All in all I do a pretty even mix of constructive and destructive stuff, as was expected. My favorite jobs have been doing legitimately helpful structural pruning of adolescent park trees. That work should hopefully help them grow into the type of nice mature large trees that provide significant ecosystem services, as opposed to them splitting in a storm and fizzling out. The worst job was a removal of a big perfectly healthy native eastern white pine from the middle of an interior courtyard space in a dense urban neighborhood, a tree that was obviously and openly beloved by the neighbors, so that some rear end in a top hat in possession of high numbers could have slightly more paved space.

It's interesting witnessing the different relationships people have with plants. Some people think of them like family. Some think of them as furniture or an extension of the fence meant primarily to block the view. Some people take pleasure from suppressing them and forcing them into wacky unnatural shapes. Some folks don't care what we do, but just want to see a large amount of material removed so they feel we've earned our pay. For others the most important thing is that we come and go like ghosts. I've had a lot of encounters with rich people and find them more bizarre and loathsome than ever. On the other hand they all seem deeply depressed. The only ones I genuinely pity are the kids.

I'm very much not at an endpoint in my current spot, but it's a good place to develop skills while I earn the basic certifications. I'm learning what to do and what not to do in various ways, and researching alternative business models on the side, and slowly developing some pretty solid ideas for how to do things better should I ever manage to run or attain a position of influence in a private company or public sector program. Otherwise just touching trees and vibing.

That’s cool to hear! It is impressive to see someone make such a big change in their life and I’m glad it is going so well. I like trees a lot, don’t know much about them but they are cool. Respect for developing tree lore.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hubbert posted:

excuse me but we are all looking respectfully at Gaia

Uh my ice is up here

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Microplastics posted:

Uh my ice is up here

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GoldStandardConure posted:

once i have a bit more money i am going to do this

we currently have a bird bath out the back (that has been claimed by the willy wagtails who refuse to let any other bird use it), and we leave a dish out the front that we top up with water for the magpies and ravens. need to gently caress around with the reticulation out the front and connect it to a bird bath/fountain so every time the garden sprinklers come on it tops up the water.
you are doing good :unsmith: honestly i feel uncomfortable telling people to give animals water because of the hygiene and disease issues, especially after last year when all the songbirds in america went blind and died of a mystery ailment, but it's got to the point (especially in towns where the natural water sources are completely polluted) that nothing is going to make it through alive unless given some human assistance.

magpies always make things difficult, i love them but they bathe en masse and a family of them is enough to comprehensively befoul and splash all the water out of even a large bath. that is the challenge - gathering enough water that it doesn't have to be topped up every single day, and then somehow keeping that water clean. one of my wells has a few freshwater mussels in it and the birds seem to prefer that one for drinking.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Unless posted:

pbs terra has a whole new episode today on parts of the biosphere collapsing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo90uHHN6R8
That comment section

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

Uh my ice is up here
Where we're going, we won't need ice in the sea.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Microplastics posted:

Uh my ice is up here

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Microplastics posted:

Uh my ice is up here

lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Speaking of ice

https://twitter.com/DoctorVive/status/1633467834419523584?t=Aor061R-VdOBYlyysTYbKA&s=19

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Uh my ice is up here

okay, BOE -- bae

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I think it would be best for the POTUS to not think of any children

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Decades posted:

Wow what a lovely post.

Seems as good a time as any to offer an update on my life, which is cool and good.

I’ve now worked as an assistant arborist at one of my city’s better local tree companies for about six months. snip...

Excellent news. It took me a long time to realize that while animals are cool and interesting, it's the plants, stupid!

And below that, the fungi and their mycorrhiza... maybe I'll :crackping: on bacteria before I die.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

all I'm seeing when I see pictures of theses hotspots popping up is an image of a pot of cooking water boiling up.

*plop*plop*plop* goes the bubbles

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Just a Moron posted:

I think it would be best for the POTUS to not think of any children

what a loathsome post

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

what a loathsome post

Go back to D&D

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
really curious about when we might be getting a blue ocean event

it looks like it'll happen much sooner than anticipated surprise!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

what a loathsome post

Yes, the child sniffing rapist in chief is quite loathsome

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
you should post more about it, we're all dying to hear what you have to say

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

you should post more about it, we're all dying to hear what you have to say

president joseph r biden is a rapist who publicly sniffs children op. hm maybe I should go bump that thread

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, you should

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

mission accomplished

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Why are you so offended on behalf of creepy uncle joe?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
im only offended by your terrible posting

he's some dumb content: https://twitter.com/MikeHudema/status/1633233017065054213

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

he's some dumb content: https://twitter.com/MikeHudema/status/1633233017065054213

shut up bitch

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

biceps crimes posted:

shut up bitch

gently caress you bitch :)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I stealth planted catnip seeds (bought from SA Mart!) around my office last week. Hopefully it grows like a weed like it's supposed to and I can harvest :catdrugs: all summer long.

I did this between a building and a fence so nobody messes with it, but it's probably not going to get much sunlight there. Wish I had even a little bit of dirt to plant stuff on without others interfering :( I tried growing the catnip indoors and it was ok but the pots get root bound by the end of the season.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Catmint is another fun one, I find it doesn't get destroyed as quickly as the nip.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

good thing rivers never dry up

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

God Hole posted:

good thing rivers never dry up

use piss

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

piss turbine is real

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The environmental impact of the TroutBlender 3000 is minimal

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Cats everywhere rejoice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Where did you come from, where did you go?
Where did you come from, Pedophile Joe?