Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Do you have a newer Apple TV and an iPhone? They have a calibration tool where the iPhone listens to audio while a pattern shows on the tv that will automatically determine the delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That happened with me and ARC a few years ago on a soundbar. The audio was constantly off and I couldn't take it. Thankfully the TV speakers are fine on my current LG but I am getting an OLED later this year and I am worried the built in speakers will suck. I do eventually want to get some towers for the floor and a receiver but the TV budget comes first.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Enderzero posted:

Do you have a newer Apple TV and an iPhone? They have a calibration tool where the iPhone listens to audio while a pattern shows on the tv that will automatically determine the delay.

I think this is only for if you’re airplaying to HomePods or other airplay capable speakers. However, I did use it in my office where I use HomePods as my tv speakers and it worked great!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think this is only for if you’re airplaying to HomePods or other airplay capable speakers. However, I did use it in my office where I use HomePods as my tv speakers and it worked great!

I do believe you're correct, I was thinking of the video calibration tool. My mistake!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I watch 95% of my media on an AppleTV that’s connected to my receiver, and the receiver is connected to the TV (LG C2). And no matter how much fiddling or tweaking I do with the delays, I always feel like the audio is juuuuuuuust a hair out of sync. Even when I spend time tweaking it to where I think it looks good, the next day or so I’ll see something that looks off again. It’s almost like a psychological thing where because I know it MIGHT be slightly out of sync, I’m always over analyzing it and tricking myself into thinking it is. Or maybe IT IS!!

Anyway - from a signal processing standpoint - would it be better if I connected the Apple TV directly to the TV, and then used eARC to get the audio from the TV to the receiver? Or is it just a “six of one, half dozen of the other” situation where I’ll basically be in the same boat?

Yeah, I had a similar situation but with my PS5 connected directly to my LG C1 and it drove me insane. Something in this chain:

PS5 -> TV -> Receiver

... was lagging with Dolby or DTS audio. Uncompressed PCM audio was lag free but it was in stereo because my receiver was too old and didn't support eARC. Had to upgrade that which presented further challenges for reasons that don't matter here.

The way I could test and confirm the lag was kind of funny. In one of my games there's a scene where a song will play from the game audio and also on the PS5 controller's built in speaker at the same time. With PCM audio they sounded fine but with Dolby Digital it sounded like an echo because the audio played from the (wireless) controller a half second before it played through my speakers.

In summary, digital surround sound is a pain in the rear end if you care about lag/latency.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 8, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

Something in this chain
The TV gets the less lossy codec that's also faster to encode from the console over 8 channels and has to reencode it to fit in the two channels ARC provides

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I'm trying to set up an account for this stupid loving Samsung TV and it keeps telling me my postal code is invalid. I've tried a dozen postal codes and it won't accept any of them. What the gently caress is going on here?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Return it.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

Return it.

For real?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Is your country not set right and it’s looking for 4vs5 digit?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Samsung appliances are all garbage. Sorry I'm salty from dealing with a ton of Samsung tv's in my life.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I've also got a Samsung TV issue, just wondering if anyone has run into this.

I think the ARC HDMI port on the TV got messed up somehow. It's not sending data/sound to my receiver but my receiver is sending some signals to it. It's not bad HDMI cables and when I plugged my receiver into a friend's TV it appeared to work correctly although I didn't test too hard. Has anyone seen this? It worked correctly until a month ago. There have been no updates firmware wise to my TV/receiver for months and no updates are ready. And both TV/receiver are set to use ARC with their respective settings.

I kind of want to get a new TV but I don't think I watch enough to justify it. I think I'm content waiting until this Black Friday to get something decent for like $1500 or so.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Whitest Russian posted:

I've also got a Samsung TV issue, just wondering if anyone has run into this.

I think the ARC HDMI port on the TV got messed up somehow. It's not sending data/sound to my receiver but my receiver is sending some signals to it. It's not bad HDMI cables and when I plugged my receiver into a friend's TV it appeared to work correctly although I didn't test too hard. Has anyone seen this? It worked correctly until a month ago. There have been no updates firmware wise to my TV/receiver for months and no updates are ready. And both TV/receiver are set to use ARC with their respective settings.

I kind of want to get a new TV but I don't think I watch enough to justify it. I think I'm content waiting until this Black Friday to get something decent for like $1500 or so.

I have a 6 series Samsung and arc definitely doesn't work properly. I've finally managed to get it to output sound to my av receiver via arc, but it's incapable of receiving any input through that port.

I also can't use my ps5 when the av receiver is plugged in via arc, as it causes the screen to regularly black out, flicker or go green.

It's not perfect, but otoh I've had this TV for going on 6 years now and it's been pretty reliable otherwise.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

I have a 6 series Samsung and arc definitely doesn't work properly. I've finally managed to get it to output sound to my av receiver via arc, but it's incapable of receiving any input through that port.

I also can't use my ps5 when the av receiver is plugged in via arc, as it causes the screen to regularly black out, flicker or go green.

It's not perfect, but otoh I've had this TV for going on 6 years now and it's been pretty reliable otherwise.

What worked for you?

I think I got my Samsung during Black Friday 2016/2017.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a LG Electronics OLED55B6P (2016 LG OLED). Can anyone tell me what "version" of Dolby Vision and HDR it supports?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Whitest Russian posted:

What worked for you?

I think I got my Samsung during Black Friday 2016/2017.

Av receiver plugged in via arc to TV. Ps5 and and cable box also plugged into TV via hdmi. So no input from arc port to TV, just output.

Then I unplug the arc hdmi cable when using the ps5 and rely on optical instead :/

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a LG Electronics OLED55B6P (2016 LG OLED). Can anyone tell me what "version" of Dolby Vision and HDR it supports?

I've never heard of different versions of Dolby Vision. Even if different versions exist, I'm not sure how much that matters. Your B6 does support DV, just fyi.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

qbert posted:

Depends on your budget. Both options are good for their price range. If you can wait a little bit, I hear this year’s X90L model is a decent improvement over the K. Not sure how much it’ll cost at launch though.

I ordered the Bravia XR X90K. Will post trip report when it gets here over the weekend.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PRADA SLUT posted:

The 2016 LGs apparently can't do DV above 30 FPS, so most movies work but some TV and streaming content doesn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nearly all should work provided you have the correct streaming device to input the right thing.

I think there's like one Black Mirror episode that's like 50fps and Dolby Vision. But DV content above 30fps is extremely rare.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've got a wierd issue with my Sony smart tv. I'm using some speakers connected via optical cable which have worked fine for a year or so.
However, now I'm getting an issue in apps like Netflix and Prime where the sound will play in menus, previews etc but when i select an episode to watch there is no audio. What the gently caress?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

field balm posted:

I've got a wierd issue with my Sony smart tv. I'm using some speakers connected via optical cable which have worked fine for a year or so.
However, now I'm getting an issue in apps like Netflix and Prime where the sound will play in menus, previews etc but when i select an episode to watch there is no audio. What the gently caress?

The TV should have some audio output setting to control the format of the audio going to the optical output. (For example there may be settings for PCM, automatic, Dolby Digital, etc.). You could try changing those options and hoping you find one that works. (PCM will only provide 2 channel stereo, but is probably the setting most likely to work with whatever device you're sending the audio to.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

loopsheloop posted:

What are some good Blurays to flex the ol OLED? I was thinking twin peaks season 3 but apparently that set isn't in 4k

The From Z To A box set only has the pilot and Season 3 Part 8 in 4K. I vote those if that’s the set you got.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

loopsheloop posted:

What are some good Blurays to flex the ol OLED? I was thinking twin peaks season 3 but apparently that set isn't in 4k

Any from the BBC Earth series

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spergin Morlock posted:

Any from the BBC Earth series

Gonna give a shoutout to the Africa one in particular. It's not 4k uhd, but drat it looks clean

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bobstar posted:

Hello I'm another one who's out of touch with TVs. Currently got a 42" 4K Samsung nothing-special model from 7-8 years ago, looking at upgrading to something bigger/better.

I scanned the last 20 pages of the thread and I'm getting an LG C-something vibe. I think I get the A, B, C, G thing and C1 vs C2, but then what is CS as seen in this OLED55CS6LA model? Is that a good one?

Use cases: Streaming TV, Plex (currently on Xbox One, maybe Apple TV 4K in future). Light Switch and Xbox One gaming, not a serious gamer. I have afforded myself some curtains.

Never want to connect the TV to the internet ever, will it still play nice just switching between sources.

Have Samsung sound bar over optical.

I ended up going for a C2 55" in the end, found a decent deal. Wow. This is quite an upgrade. Hitman looks amazing in HDR.

Extra bonus I hadn't thought about : using the remote for other devices. It's adopted the soundbar seamlessly. It also recognised the Xbox One and works to navigate the menus on there - the only thing that's missing is powering it on and off. Is there a way to make the Xbox appear in the [...] More Actions menu? Then I could ditch the Xbox media remote entirely.

Edit: kind of figured this out, I had to add it as a Microsoft-brand DVD player, rather than letting the TV magically detect it as an Xbox

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 17, 2023

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have an interesting quirk with my LG C2 that I can't seem to figure out: Highlights have some blocky artifacting, but if I switch video modes it goes away until I turn the TV back on. I'll try attaching a video to illustrate, but it might blend in with the youtube artifacts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zadqipg36E

e: setting general>oled care>oled panel care>adjust logo brightness to off fixes this

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 18, 2023

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Why does the C2 48" weigh more than the C2 55" (39.7 lbs vs. 35.3 lbs)? Are the specs wrong?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Does the 42" get the cool CARBON FIBER backing or just the ol steel plate?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mancalamania posted:

Why does the C2 48" weigh more than the C2 55" (39.7 lbs vs. 35.3 lbs)? Are the specs wrong?

The 48" is actually heavier, because it's using the old back panel/case design from the C1 series. The other C2 sizes uses an updated back that's much lighter than the previous year's model.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Put off getting a service remote until I got pissed at TPC again watching The Whale on the CX as I had to go into the menu every 10 minutes to keep the brightness up. Turns out you can just go to http://webosapp.club/instart/ in the TV browser and enter 0413 to get to the service menu with no special remote. TPC off, GSR off, life's good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
does that weigh a ton

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Woot has new 65" C2s a couple hundred bucks off at $1500. As far as I can tell that's an all-time low

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 21, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The 65"? Nice. Great deal.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

According to rtings.com, QD-OLED tvs might be more susceptible to burn-in than WOLED tvs.

https://youtu.be/my1lyUE7WVM

Keep in mind that they’re running test scenarios that are uncommon to the average user’s use case, however their explanation for why burn-in might be more likely in QD-OLED panels makes sense. Just something to consider when you’re getting your next tv.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
lmao at this when Samsung bullshitted up QLED to get people to lump it in with OLED and then marketed it by playing up the even-then very negligible burn-in risk of OLED

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I was looking at getting one of those Denon or Onkyo HDMI 2.1 receivers from Costco but I realized I don't have any speakers for them, or really any idea what to do once I get the receiver. Is there a guide for setting up your first home theater system? Recommended speakers/subs to buy for this kind of unit?

Denon AVR S760H 7.2ch 8K AV Receiver

Onkyo TX-NR6050 7.2-Channel AV Receiver

Anyone got experience with either of them?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Biodome posted:

I was looking at getting one of those Denon or Onkyo HDMI 2.1 receivers from Costco but I realized I don't have any speakers for them, or really any idea what to do once I get the receiver. Is there a guide for setting up your first home theater system? Recommended speakers/subs to buy for this kind of unit?

If you have no idea what to do with one, and no equipment to go with it, why do you want an AV receiver?

I don't mean that in an aggressive way, I just genuinely don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Biodome posted:

I have the Denon, and although it can do more speakers, I'm running just 2.1. Works for me. Speakers and subs really gonna come down to your budget and room.