Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm a huge freak that really liked Dark Fate.
Not nearly as much as T2 but still a good amount.

Edit: horrible snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I thought Terminator: Dark Fate had a decent story and executed fairly well.

Definitely better than Salvation or Genysis did IMO.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I'm a huge freak that really liked Dark Fate.
Not nearly as much as T2 but still a good amount.

Edit: horrible snype

Yea, Dark Fate was good enough to be counted as one of the actual Terminator movies. So much so that when people say "T3" I get confused when they're not talking about Dark Fate.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Weirdly enough I like how Terminator 3 ended. Incredibly bleak but somehow fitting.

The rest of the movie has a lot of flaws though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Apocalypse posted:

In a college comics writing class I tried pitching a story where Skynet learns that Kyle Reese is the father & sends a Terminator to go after one of his ancestors… in 1940's Germany. John Connor sends a savior but the story's dilemma revolved around their deep Jewish faith in conflict with saving SS officer Wilhelm Reese.

I always thought that this, aside from doing the War Against the Machines and all that, would be the only way to make any fresh Terminator sequels. Something like you said (set during WW2) or in the old West, the revolutionary war or whatever that ups the ante of "I can't stop it. Not with these weapons". It worked for Prey.

It's hardly original but I think you could do some interesting things with it with clever writers. UNfortunately, I think the demand for more Terminator movies is over

Now a good Terminator video game on the other hand...

Let's borrow from Alien: Isolation and make a Terminator game with that template.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Mar 7, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Basebf555 posted:

What Cameron was counting on, and he was correct, is that the impression left by Arnold from the first movie would carry over at least for a few scenes. In retrospect sure, you can see that the Terminator isn't acting quite the same way he would've in the first movie, but most people just don't notice that. And if they do, they tend to just assume it's because Cameron decided to make a movie that's a bit lighter in tone, not because Arnold is actually playing the good guy.

Like I said before, you can now watch many different people going through the experience and the proof is right there, the ambiguity does actually fool people.

I'd still say it comes down to tone more than Arnold=good. He stabs a dude and throws another one onto a hot grill. Old John clearly didn't order him not to kill anyone because he was totally going to ice that guy ,to cone a phrase, that tried to help young John. Even the T-1000 doesn't kill as many people as the first Terminator and he has knives for hands.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay, there is one other thing I enjoy about T3. In the original movie, Reese describes Skynet as basically going "Day 1: Become self-aware. Day 2: Kill all humans" (I mean, it's not wrong, but still). In T3, it's heavily implied-if-not-outright-stated that Skynet had already become self-aware long before the movie started, it had to manipulate people into giving it the keys to the kingdom, so to speak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The song literally says he’s B-b-b-b-b-bad.

He doesn’t even have bones so the bad permeates his entire being instead of ending a few centimeters deep like it would for any of us.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Mar 8, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doesnt arnie impale a guy and leave him stuck there like a bug?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yep. Through the scapula too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Doesnt arnie impale a guy and leave him stuck there like a bug?

Let off some steam!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I thought Terminator: Dark Fate had a decent story and executed fairly well.

Definitely better than Salvation or Genysis did IMO.

I thought I'd seen all the Terminator movies but I'd somehow completely forgotten about the existence of Genysis.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
terminator: Genysis is off the wall in retconning all stuff with a T-800 protecting a young Sarah Conner & John becoming Skynet, but somehow it just missed the mark in being entertaining.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yep. Through the scapula too.

Ah not the scapula

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bobby budnick is a really good friend

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bobby budnick is a really good friend

It’s why he got rewarded with a trip to Camp Anawanna.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cat Hatter posted:

Old John clearly didn't order him not to kill anyone because he was totally going to ice that guy ,to cone a phrase, that tried to help young John.

What guy? I haven't seen the movie in forever

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

What guy? I haven't seen the movie in forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyhrl6GUiag

Just over 2 minutes into this scene.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Don't know if it's subtle, pure coincidence, or :tinfoil: but Terminator 2: Judgement Day was on HBO just now.

https://i.imgur.com/LMkOAhb.mp4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh man I forgot about that. Guy had incredible roots

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Cameron on why the T-1000 is a cop:

The ship in Avatar 2 that incinerates several square miles of forest as it lands is called Manifest Destiny. James Cameron has never been subtle about his politics.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I love Arnie's response to John telling him to put the gun down in that scene. He's like a puppy or a 3 year old.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

I love Arnie's response to John telling him to put the gun down in that scene. He's like a puppy or a 3 year old.

Yeah he took that very literally lol. That's a director's cut scene right? I can't recall ever seeing it before in the theatrical/tv/vhs editions..

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Don't know if it's subtle, pure coincidence, or :tinfoil: but Terminator 2: Judgement Day was on HBO just now.

https://i.imgur.com/LMkOAhb.mp4

God drat that still makes me tear up a bit

I think I should give Genysis another shot. I went in hoping for a good Terminator sequel and that's probably not the expectations one should have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Randalor posted:

Okay, there is one other thing I enjoy about T3. In the original movie, Reese describes Skynet as basically going "Day 1: Become self-aware. Day 2: Kill all humans" (I mean, it's not wrong, but still). In T3, it's heavily implied-if-not-outright-stated that Skynet had already become self-aware long before the movie started, it had to manipulate people into giving it the keys to the kingdom, so to speak.

In T2 when Arnie is spelling out the future history he states that Skynet became operational on August 2nd 1997 and became self aware on August 29th. However, there was no need for it to manipulate people to gain control of the strategic defence network as that was the specific reason for its construction. It just didn't see humans as a threat until they tried to disable it. Really it's just Colossus from The Forbin Project, except more psychopathic and with no sense of humour.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Arrath posted:

Yeah he took that very literally lol. That's a director's cut scene right? I can't recall ever seeing it before in the theatrical/tv/vhs editions..

Nope. Every version has that unless your local TV station cut the movie down to a half hour or something.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

Nope. Every version has that unless your local TV station cut the movie down to a half hour or something.

Fuckin hell

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Aphrodite posted:

The song literally says he’s B-b-b-b-b-bad.

He doesn’t even have bones so the bad permeates his entire being instead of ending a few centimeters deep like it would for any of us.

What? Arnie's T-800? They literally have a scene showing off his metal endoskeleton arm? In the first movie he's down to the bone. Or do you mean Robert Patrick's T-1000 who only gets Brad Fiedel music for his cool scenes, although Arnie is literally carrying Guns and Roses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Metal isn’t bone!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aphrodite posted:

Metal isn’t bone!

Hence why, perhaps, the song is subtly letting us know he's actually good.

Bad to the Bone, if he had any. But since he doesn't....

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, part of the actual lyrics for Bad to the Bone are

"I wanna be yours, pretty baby
Yours and yours alone"

So you could argue that the actual lyrics is hinting that the T-800 isn't the actual bad guy this time around.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

I always thought that this, aside from doing the War Against the Machines and all that, would be the only way to make any fresh Terminator sequels. Something like you said (set during WW2) or in the old West, the revolutionary war or whatever that ups the ante of "I can't stop it. Not with these weapons". It worked for Prey.

World War I Terminator please. "And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until it gets to Tipperary."

terminator: Genysis is off the wall in retconning all stuff with a T-800 protecting a young Sarah Conner & John becoming Skynet, but somehow it just missed the mark in being entertaining.

Poor bastards thought they'd have an entire trilogy to explain that. Little did they know that they'd sown in the field of Jai Courtney and would reap only ruinous reviews.

Arrath posted:

The one thing that always really annoyed me about that scene is that it looks like he spikes the camera for his "I swear I will not kill anyone". I'm still not entirely sure he doesn't.

credburn posted:

God drat that still makes me tear up a bit

It just makes me think of We Hate Movies' suggestion that he say "Later; Dickwad." as it happens

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The one thing that always really annoyed me about that scene is that it looks like he spikes the camera for his "I swear I will not kill anyone". I'm still not entirely sure he doesn't.

I think that made it into the trailer so it's possible it was filmed with that in mind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I swear I read him in an interview years ago saying it was supposed to be a hidden surprise. But apparently I'm wrong as is everyone who thinks it was a hidden surprise.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/an-audience-with-the-king-james-cameron-interviewed-by-hollywoods-finest/

quote:

First of all, we’re mega, mega, mega fans. How did it come about that the marketing campaign for Terminator 2 gave away the twist? The story is such that you think Arnold’s the villain, until Arnold and the T-1000 are face-to-face in a hallway and Arnold says, “Get down!” And then you realise he’s the good guy. That’s a huge twist that was given away in the marketing. Did you lose that battle?

Thanks for the mad props, and right back at you — you crushed it with Season 1.

All of us have had our battles with the Suits, but the case you mention was not a battle. The Carolco guys, Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna, were good partners with me on T2, and I led the charge on marketing, including showing Arnold as the good guy. It wasn’t a Sixth Sense kind of twist that’s revealed only at the end of the film. He’s revealed as the Protector at the end of Act One. And I always feel you lead with your strongest story element in selling a movie. I believed our potential audience would be more attracted to seeing how the most badass killing machine could become a hero than they would be to just another kill-fest in the same vein as the first film. Sequels have to strike a delicate balance between honouring the most loved elements from the first film, but also promising to really shake things up and turn them upside down. Our marketing campaign for T2 was exactly that promise, and it worked.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That whole article is great because it's pretty much the most humility Cameron's ever shown publicly and he's still like "I've created the greatest film ever and I'm going to blow your loving minds."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

James Cameron, “J.C” to his friends, has the distinction of being the director of two films that made the most money in box office history at their respective times. I’m not a number cruncher but that’s got to be some type of record.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He says it it right there though. Arnold as the good guy is "revealed" at the end of Act 1, i.e. it's ambiguous until that point. Nobody is saying it's some sort of Shyamalan twist, but the movie is edited in such a way that you don't know who the good guy is until the hallway scene.

He's acknowledging that he made the decision to not protect that reveal in the marketing because he felt it was worth it to make sure that people would get excited about the chance to see Arnold play the good guy(because he'd become the biggest movie star in the world).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cameron has never made an enjoyable film

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Audible scoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Dangit there goes my monocle.