Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Urn rarely allows for extremelt grotesque combinations (rescue on valk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah urn can do some loving insane things in rare cases, i.e. when you have an item and hero combination that will benefit from it. I don't often take it, but when I do, it can instantly take a hero build from "good" to "shatters the rest of the run into itty bitty pieces"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah urn can do some loving insane things in rare cases, i.e. when you have an item and hero combination that will benefit from it. I don't often take it, but when I do, it can instantly take a hero build from "good" to "shatters the rest of the run into itty bitty pieces"

The problem being that it's lower level than anything that makes it work, so you usually have to take it on hope. I don't think I've ever picked the Urn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

The problem being that it's lower level than anything that makes it work, so you usually have to take it on hope. I don't think I've ever picked the Urn.

that's an issue with a lot of the low level items like ballet shoes or whatever

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

that's an issue with a lot of the low level items like ballet shoes or whatever

It's not as big a deal for level 1 items since a lot of them are pretty marginal and tend to wind up pretty obsolete in the long run, picking the urn is more likely to mean passing on something useful.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Urn is a lot better with the three item slot blessing

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

distortion park posted:

Urn is a lot better with the three item slot blessing

This too. Without Deep Pockets you have to have Urn, a hero with a useful keyword on the relevant die side, and a specific item other than Urn that replaces that side with something that would benefit from that keyword. With a third item slot, you can start doing weird poo poo like swapping sides around to get the keyword where you need it, or even stacking two different side replacers to pile an ungodly mess of combined keywords onto the final die side.

I wonder how often people would take Urn if it also granted another item slot (up to the usual max of 3)? It probably still wouldn't be a hugely popular pick, but the diminished opportunity cost - and greater potential for shenanigans - might make it a little more tempting.

e: there's an interesting idea for a blessing: Hero Enduring. You'd end up with some really weird and funny loadouts, I bet

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 1, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

It's not as big a deal for level 1 items since a lot of them are pretty marginal and tend to wind up pretty obsolete in the long run, picking the urn is more likely to mean passing on something useful.

Partially i am thinking from a new player perspective - if items that gave no effect without some other item were locked behind some easy achievement it'd smooth out the new player experience a bit.

As is my first impression was being very confused why I was getting useless stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dragon Eggs? Before the first boss? gently caress you, Tann!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jedit posted:

Dragon Eggs? Before the first boss? gently caress you, Tann!

:sickos:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Adding to the "this game owns" pile. Also didn't know it was made by a goon.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

I've been speedrunning Custom Party Heaven to try to see what max speed looks like, really happy to finally get a sub four minute run.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

archduke.iago posted:

I've been speedrunning Custom Party Heaven to try to see what max speed looks like, really happy to finally get a sub four minute run.
four minutes jfc

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

archduke.iago posted:

drat

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

12 seconds per fight :psyduck:

e: sorry, 11.35 seconds

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I wish to complain. I just got offered I-Faerie Dust as a blessing. Between them, my starting heroes have one blank side. :argh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Lots of items that can emblanken sides. Lots of heroes with blank sides too. Get Eccentric and you're really cooking with gas

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Always Pick Eccentric feels like a winning move. I don't necessarily always do it, but by and large, I am pretty convinced they're the king of the Yellows. That fork being on the right is an absolutely filthy piece of tech.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

Always Pick Eccentric feels like a winning move. I don't necessarily always do it, but by and large, I am pretty convinced they're the king of the Yellows. That fork being on the right is an absolutely filthy piece of tech.

Picking eccentric in cursed/blursed guarantees that your next curse choice will be between Rightmost Blank and gently caress You.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well sure. Fair point. Don't play cursed if you don't want to be horrifically cursed. Otherwise the mode would be called "irritated".

Edit
This reads somewhat more confrontational than I intended. But my main point is "it's silly to use a mode literally called 'cursed', as a baseline.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 8, 2023

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Got alerted to this game by a friend and then had a lol when I found out it was goon-made. Still early on, but getting reasonably consistent on Medium which isn't too impressive but I'm really enjoying it!

Also I windmill slam Juggler every time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Juggler is amazing until you start running into Spikers and she kills herself in the first turn of every fight

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well juggler clowning (on herself) is very on brand at least

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Veryslightlymad posted:

eccentric with the item that gives Right x 3 :getin:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Eccentric with Abacus + Silk Cape :discourse:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Scoundrel really is the most trash tier starting class. Four blank sides and the other two are barely even good? gently caress off!!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Scoundrel sucks and I don't care for defender neither

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Half of Dracula posted:

Scoundrel sucks and I don't care for defender neither

As opposed to all the other great level 1 grays?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

level 1 grays you expect to be dead weight but there are some actually useful oranges which makes rolling scoundrel even more annoying

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

the holy poopacy posted:

I genuinely like Alloy actually! Yeah tier 1 greys suck but alloy just has a lot in her toolkit.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Arzaac posted:

I genuinely like Alloy actually! Yeah tier 1 greys suck but alloy just has a lot in her toolkit.

Squire has a couple redirect sides that can do good work too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't really mind getting Buckle. But Scoundrel is complete poo poo. Even just adding a basic 1 damage side would go a long way to fixing it.

E: that i-Faerie Dust run is going OK BTW.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 9, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm sad that there isn't an achievement for overkilling the dragon by 950.

Edit
Or for having a full team with 999 armor.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Suffering through the garbo Tier 1 oranges to get to the fun as hell higher tiers

Angry Diplomat posted:

Juggler is amazing until you start running into Spikers and she kills herself in the first turn of every fight
Yeah hate those guys. I have to turn off my auto bonus damage dealing machine after one roll? gently caress off!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Shining Bow (all damaged sides are Ranged) is so absolutely kickass on Juggler and Dancer. KO Wizzes without even looking at them. Randomly own Archers and Snipers before you even resolve your turn. Slap the poo poo out of Imps, Spikers, and Hexia with total impunity.

Poison Dip and Horned Viper are awesome too. Adding Poison to a Cantrip or multi-/omni-target Rampage damage side lets you do some absolutely monstrous things.

e: Just Juggler things~

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 9, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is basically a 30 turn challenge run right?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As evidenced by my 999 armor for everyone experience, I learned that you can add cleave to the "ally can reroll their die" side. But can dodge sides gain cleave?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Veryslightlymad posted:

But can dodge sides gain cleave?
I wanna say they can but it doesn't do anything since dodge doesn't actually have a target.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

dirby posted:

I wanna say they can but it doesn't do anything since dodge doesn't actually have a target.

I'd have thought it would just target self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can't turn off generated heroes since I've unlocked them. Is this intended? The option for "5% generated heroes" is not checked.