Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

foobar's selling point was "now you have to janitor your music player". turns out nobody was buying, even for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
foobar2000 was a good platform for making a music player

itunes was fine if your metadata was perfect, it sucked because of drm and syncing, you can copy music to your ipod but never the other way or even add music from 2 different computers without wiping everything
really a good music player would have no drm and let you copy in and out like napster

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm the large dedicated 'burn cd' button

it's a portcullis that reveals a radiation trefoil when there's a blank, which made the cool task of mp3 burning even cooler

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm still using this:

Sure, I have my quibbles with the GUI. But it does its job and doesn't waste a ton of space. And It has actual scroll bars!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

wizard wednesday my dudes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Perplx posted:

really a good music player would have no drm and let you copy in and out like napster

rca's lyras did this and had a self-indexer but the physical interface was a mess with two joystick buttons

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

while the controls were bad, the device was great at double the everything for less than an ipod (lmao double the physical size) and i used one as an external drive between windows and mac machines for years

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I miss my Sansa Clip. It took a ride in the washing machine and died.

Great little thing. So light I could use it while running, and I could control it blind as well.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

hell of a pitch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rotor posted:

zune was good tho

i liked mine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i kinda miss dedicated music players like that but not quite enough to buy one. i wouldn't get that much use out of one

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I had an iRiver mp3 player, and it was pretty great. worked like an external drive when connected to a computer, no software, just drag and drop files and folders. evenutally dropped it into a sink full of water and dirty dishes and it died :saddowns:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

a lot of the itunes hate was from two sources imo

1. windows users; it was legitimately worse on windows
2. people with ridiculously huge music libraries

also there were people that didn't want their data in a "library" style app (see also: iphoto) and resented having to use one to sync their music

one of the factors that lead to a lot of nerd rage (probably from the same people with giant libraries) was that iTunes had no compunction against taking a carefully janitored music collection and moving files, renaming them, overwriting tags, deleting album art, and outright deleting your entire library off of the disk if somebody plugged the wrong ipod in. Lead to a small number of very loud complaints.

as for foobar it's ludicrously barebones out of the box but I just put together one layout 20 years ago and haven't had to janitor it since :shrug:

still looking for a good music player on linux though :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

remember: itunes replaced this on pc

this is just itunes with different colors

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

a lot of the itunes hate was from two sources imo

1. windows users; it was legitimately worse on windows
2. people with ridiculously huge music libraries

also there were people that didn't want their data in a "library" style app (see also: iphoto) and resented having to use one to sync their music

it wasnt worse on windows, it was identically bad on osx its just that everything else was also insanely bad on osx

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
do you fuckin remember safari from that era? lol

burning swine
May 26, 2004

heh

do you remember finder, from right now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
safari on os x and safari on windows were the exact same thing, so was itunes

they literally ported the os x frameworks over to windows instead of making it native lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I'm still using this:

Sure, I have my quibbles with the GUI. But it does its job and doesn't waste a ton of space. And It has actual scroll bars!

you didn't mention audacious' killer feature - you can run it with a winamp skin interface

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

AlbertFlasher posted:

hell of a pitch

Buddy added a bunch of games to my classic including a about five baseball. I was shocked to see the pitching in that game has no directional control just how hard you throw.
We've come so far in the past 23 years

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I remember the Windows quicktime player that wouldn't play videos full screen unless you payed Apple for the Pro version.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

my windows 10 work laptop tried to charge me money for a .mov codec

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
y'all forgetting the king of mp3 players ... k-jofol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Well? Did you buy that for a dollar?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

love my OS to have microtransactions to speed up access to content

mystes
May 31, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

I remember the Windows quicktime player that wouldn't play videos full screen unless you payed Apple for the Pro version.
They were ahead of the curve, it just didn't occur to them to make it a $9.99 monthly subscription

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

y'all forgetting the king of mp3 players ... k-jofol

sorry but it doesnt appear to whip the llama's rear end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I liked Audion

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

My dad still uses an ancient version of Winamp with the easy to read mode enabled that made it like 3x its normal size. Still whipping the llamas rear end in 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
can someone with a windows pc tell me if beep still works?

https://www.1014.org/code/nullsoft/nbeep/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
doesn't seem to do anything for me, no

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
og itunes was great because it did a limited number of things (manage mp3 files, assemble them into playlists, and then output them to burned cds or an ipod) and the ui handled all that very well

the problem was that they kept adding new features to it (buying music, renting movies, subscribing to podcasts, handling multiple devices with multiple accounts, listening to live streams, backing up mobile phones, and on and on) and just shoving them into the pre-existing ui, and the whole thing became completely incoherent and confused

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tankakern posted:

you didn't mention audacious' killer feature - you can run it with a winamp skin interface

i just use winamp

it still works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Radio Paranoia posted:

love my OS to have microtransactions to speed up access to content

this is one of those things that exists, is stupid because there are already free alternatives on windows, and you will never see unless you have trash tier best buy hardware

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

https://skins.webamp.org

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ADINSX posted:

My dad still uses an ancient version of Winamp with the easy to read mode enabled that made it like 3x its normal size. Still whipping the llamas rear end in 2023

this is the thing about winamp, it's a relatively simple application and you don't have to touch anything that connects to online services, so it works, still.

if you need plugins for asio or whatever, they're still there, they work as well as they ever did. it functions the same today as it did in 2003, and in terms of playing music, that's exactly what i want it to do

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

doesn't seem to do anything for me, no

oh wait it did just make some noises when i launched a program. i think it just doesn't respond to every event anymore

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my biggest beef about itunes is it made every other mp3 player invented thereafter into a dumbdass excel spreadsheet-lookin-rear end app instead of cool poo poo like winamp and qt and realplayer (admittedly the last two were dogshit players, but the skinning was fun at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nfcknblvbl posted:

you can download the package directly and install it on your own, but it's a little complicated