Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I tried learning but am too dumb because I couldn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I don’t do those card games in games. I tried with FFVIII and it got me nowhere in life. I kept trying to win they dumb game in AC Valhalla for a timed event and I always lost. Maybe I’m a fool.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When I play mahjong I just shout richi and lose a lot

It's fun

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I liked playing dice and poker in Mario 2, God’s most perfect video game

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 7, 2023

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

i ain't ever gonna find out

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Everyone listen to this. This podcast I like was talking about something that happened between me and Shard Jr and it's pretty funny. Listen from 00:00:37 to 00:04:48. Basically when my kid was young she got into youtube and watched a bunch of fat videos of cartoon characters and I had to figure out how to explain to her why it was bad and made by weirdos targeting kids.

https://superbestfriendcast.libsyn.com/csb-162-aerial-rave-the-younglings-to-reach-new-heights

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shard posted:

I tried learning but am too dumb because I couldn't get it.

I have been replaying 0 and I yet again have three separate mahjong tutorial videos in my youtube watchlist and I yet again am failing.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i cant do sudoku or play the portal games because the headmeat aint work that way

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Shard posted:

Everyone listen to this. This podcast I like was talking about something that happened between me and Shard Jr and it's pretty funny. Listen from 00:00:37 to 00:04:48. Basically when my kid was young she got into youtube and watched a bunch of fat videos of cartoon characters and I had to figure out how to explain to her why it was bad and made by weirdos targeting kids.

https://superbestfriendcast.libsyn.com/csb-162-aerial-rave-the-younglings-to-reach-new-heights

Lmfao @ Pat saying "Hopefully you're not the story"

This is gold Shard, grats on starting the pod off on a good foot

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Life is Strange

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

good morning

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

good morning

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Need your help - my son got into college and he's already meeting his roommates over Discord. Apparently they're not big horror fans, but he convinced them to give it a shot over the summer with a few movie watch parties. He asked me for advice - stuff that's impactful but won't make you sleep with the lights on.

Slasher - "Halloween / Scream"
Comedy - "Ready or Not"
Zombie - "Night of the Living Dead 1990"
Thriller - "Get Out"
Infected - "The Crazies 2010"
Sci-Fi - "Alien"
Technology - "Upgrade"
Ghost/Haunted House - ???

Stuck on the last one... thoughts? These are teenagers so I'm trying to avoid "classically boring" stuff like The Haunting or The Changeling.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Evil Toons

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Ringu if they can handle subtitles, The Ring if they can't.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is Poltergeist technically a haunted house movie? What about Beetlejuice? The first Conjuring was really good despite the sequels going down the toilet, IMO. Evil Dead could be weird enough to be fun if they're not strictly into straight horror. It's probably too old, but The Uninvited is also really great – we accidentally watched it once when we thought we were watching The Innocents and were glad we did (The Innocents also kicks rear end). Also really loved The Changeling (1980).

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Noroi: The Curse

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is Poltergeist technically a haunted house movie? What about Beetlejuice? The first Conjuring was really good despite the sequels going down the toilet, IMO. Evil Dead could be weird enough to be fun if they're not strictly into straight horror. It's probably too old, but The Uninvited is also really great – we accidentally watched it once when we thought we were watching The Innocents and were glad we did (The Innocents also kicks rear end). Also really loved The Changeling (1980).

IMO skip evil dead and just watch evil dead 2.

I love the atmosphere and feeling of dread the first movie has but the tree rape scene has really aged poorly and is really unsettling.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

That DICK! posted:

Evil Toons

There's only one toon in the movie! One! Singular!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Evil Toon

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CobiWann posted:

Need your help - my son got into college and he's already meeting his roommates over Discord. Apparently they're not big horror fans, but he convinced them to give it a shot over the summer with a few movie watch parties. He asked me for advice - stuff that's impactful but won't make you sleep with the lights on.

Comedy - "Ready or Not"
Thriller - "Get Out"
Sci-Fi - "Alien"
Technology - "Upgrade"

Stuck on the last one... thoughts? These are teenagers so I'm trying to avoid "classically boring" stuff like The Haunting or The Changeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ZGZhuciZ0

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Regardless of genre I think Come and See is a wonderful ice breaker

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

mariooncrack posted:

IMO skip evil dead and just watch evil dead 2.

I love the atmosphere and feeling of dread the first movie has but the tree rape scene has really aged poorly and is really unsettling.

Hm, that's a good call. I haven't seen it in ages at this point and I feel like I get the two conflated.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I think The Crazies (2010) kinda stinks so I might replace it with something like Rec maybe. I also think for ppl that aren't really into horror that a little levity goes along way, so stuff like evil dead 2, Malignant, or even Shaun of the Dead would be worthwhile recommendations I think

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Can I just throw The Descent somewhere on that list?

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Need your help - my son got into college and he's already meeting his roommates over Discord. Apparently they're not big horror fans, but he convinced them to give it a shot over the summer with a few movie watch parties. He asked me for advice...

An 8 movie plan is way too much for a bunch of people who have already said they're not super into it but willing to try it.

He should pick a couple of movies he really enjoys since sharing his own love seems to be the whole point. If they're not into it after that then he should drop it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Thing is kind of like if a continent was a haunted house

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That DICK! posted:

The Thing is kind of like if a continent was a haunted house

It's like if a haunted house and the house right next to it were surrounded by a fog of death that will kill you in thousands of miles in each direction.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Also there's doggies :3:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Thing could also consolidate Thriller, Sci-Fi, and Infected if you really wanted it to.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

and whodunit

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Forgot about The Thing make those kids watch The Thing

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

The Thing rules.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

perfect movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18HWJ_3QZAI

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

CobiWann posted:

Comedy - "Ready or Not"
Thriller - "Get Out"
Sci-Fi - "Alien"
Technology - "Upgrade"

My horror intro movies are Tremors, Jaws, and The Thing. The first two are horror movies in disguise and move at a crazy clip, and The Thing is a classic that everyone loves. Tremors though is my go-to for anyone who says they’re not into horror; it’s goofy, funny, scary, gory, and great.

For a haunted house, I’d put in a big recommend for The Conjuring for your specific audience, Poltergeist as an alt, and then The Night House just generally. But also yeah eight movies is too much; I’d just show them Tremors.

Bonus, it’s only also 96 minutes. Don’t over-saturate. Put in another 90 minute one as a back-up if they’re into a double-feature.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 8, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Stroker Ace posted:

The Thing rules.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Thanks for the suggestions - they're all solid!

He's not planning to show all eight as in some kind of marathon - he wants to read the room and pick one or two he thinks they'd enjoy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The Thing is best watched on either the coldest or longest night of the year IMO. Before watching it, I only knew Wilford Brimley from diabetes commercials and it was mind blowing to find out he had an actual career beforehand. I found out about the Wilford Brimely/Cocoon line from the Blank Check pod.

https://twitter.com/brimleyline?lang=en

Twitter can be a cesspool but I really love this Twitter.

Spoilers for the thing:

That hand scene is the best. It's so chaotic I love it. I would've never known they used a body double without hands for that scene unless someone told me.

While we're talking about horror movies, more people should watch REC and its sequel. It's a good found footage/zombie film.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

mariooncrack posted:

The Thing is best watched on either the coldest or longest night of the year IMO. Before watching it, I only knew Wilford Brimley from diabetes commercials and it was mind blowing to find out he had an actual career beforehand. I found out about the Wilford Brimely/Cocoon line from the Blank Check pod.

Per IMDB...

Wilford Brimley, being a real cowboy, didn't have any issues handling some of the disgusting props used in the dissection sequences. When John Carpenter asked him what he thought of in the more intense scenes, Brimley would reply, "I'm picking up my laundry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seconding the recommendation for the original Poltergeist as a "haunted house" movie, I loving love that film.

But yeah, you absolutely cannot go wrong with The Thing.