Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

more falafel please posted:

like a salad with lettuce, tomato, onion, some pickled hot peppers, some provolone cubes, some ham and salami cubes, maybe some giardinera oil, croutons, and a vinaigrette? that sounds like a pretty good salad and it's also a deconstructed Italian sub
Lose the croutons and it's basically an antipasto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zipperelli. posted:

Gumby's Pizza here in Gainesville:

It's literally *exactly* what you described to a T, just minus the crust. Aluminum pan, sauce on the bottom, cheese, toppings, tossed in the oven. Served with a spoon.

There's like 82 more "bowl" flavors listed, these were just the first to pop up.

yeah I used to eat Gumby's in college and man they make some good/massive pizza. Also open super late, but one time they didn't deliver for 2hours past when we ordered and we got our pizza at 2am.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LOL

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Me indicating my desire to taste the forbidden meatballs

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rip and tear into this mozzarella stick sandwich.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

LifeSunDeath posted:

Rip and tear into this mozzarella stick sandwich.

Reminds me of the Rutger's grease trucks, of which the Fat Darrell was the most famous sandwich:

quote:

These inexpensive sandwiches (originally only $1 more than a regular hamburger) with the "sides" included within steadily rose in popularity, but the "Fat Cat" would remain the top seller until 1997, when a student named Darrell W. Butler created the "Fat Darrell" consisting of chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, French fries, and marinara sauce. Butler told USA Today, "Like the typical college student, I was pretty much broke. I had been craving chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks and French fries all week long but I knew that I didn't have enough money to buy all three. I talked the guy behind the counter into putting them all onto a piece of bread for me. I guess it sounded like a good idea because the next 10 or so people all asked for the same thing."

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Reminds me we got a Fat Shack in our town a couple years ago. Still haven't worked up the nerve to try it.

To be fair, the fat Darrell/bronco is just a kinda stoner version of a chx parm sandwich, just with fries tossed in

Roundup Ready has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Mar 8, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like the two that go out of there way to include lettuce, for all the good it's gonna do.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

This looks delicious, unless I'm missing something.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Roundup Ready posted:

Reminds me we got a Fat Shack in our town a couple years ago. Still haven't worked up the nerve to try it.

loving coward, get high and do it

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Fat sandwiches always suck. They just take things that are supposed to be crispy and makes them limp and moist.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Brocktoon posted:

Fat sandwiches always suck. They just take things that are supposed to be crispy and makes them limp and moist.

yeah when i'm eating a bunch of fried/breaded stuff i def want it be completely sodden. it's like instagram food, should not exist.

i guess from the marketing it's intended for people who are shitfaced though. low standards.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Roundup Ready posted:

To be fair, the fat Darrell/bronco is just a kinda stoner version of a chx parm sandwich, just with fries tossed in

Gorbachev chicken fingers? I thought he was a pizza kinda guy.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Spoiler alert: all they did was make caramel and put it on popcorn. Surprise!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Yeah that's not gonna work as intended

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You need to make it from scratch if it's going to be any good.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

You need to make it from scratch if it's going to be any good.

you're saying that the company that makes skyline chili would sell me a bad version of it's famous chili in order to inspire me to never buy from them and make it myself?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SERVING SUGGESTION
(just go to Skyline instead)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

you're saying that the company that makes skyline chili would sell me a bad version of it's famous chili in order to inspire me to never buy from them and make it myself?

Yes!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

every time i'm reminded that skyline chili exists i go into full Gino-gets-mad-at-bolognese mode

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

every time i'm reminded that skyline chili exists i go into full Gino-gets-mad-at-bolognese mode

indeed. i have strong feelings about chili although i'm pretty laid back wrt recipes for such, there's a lot of wiggle room. but that poo poo is not chili. there oughta be a law.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All frozen sauced pasta looks like poo poo.

The bags of pasta ice cubes literally look like turds when you drop them on the sauce pan.

Spaghet ala puddle

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I salute the Greek guy trolling people 100 years later by calling coney sauce chili because it's spicey tomato sauce.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I had a connecting flight through Cincinnati once and tried Skyline just for the novelty. I don't recall it being particularly memorable.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I grew up with it, so I have a special place in my memory for it. I miss it from time to time. The frozen ones are OK, and a close enough reminder.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weird thing about living in Florida is you're surrounded by retirees who moved there from places like Cincinnati and Chicago and New York, so within 15 miles of me I have a Joey D's and a Portillo's if I want an Italian beef, a Skyline if I want weird :airquote: chili :airquote: spaghetti and oyster crackers I can fill with drops of hot sauce, and aUtHeNtIc NY pizza places selling heatlamp slices as far as the eye can see

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

skyline being called "chili" is a weird quirk of history but i thought it was pretty loving good as long as you're not expecting something like regular chili

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

it's got cinnamon in it, it's loving psycho chili.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

LifeSunDeath posted:

if you think of it as more like pastichio it makes sense. again, the fact that it's called "chili" instead of "spiced meat/tomato sauce" is what makes it weird, the dish itself is good

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Weird thing about living in Florida is you're surrounded by retirees who moved there from places like Cincinnati and Chicago and New York, so within 15 miles of me I have a Joey D's and a Portillo's if I want an Italian beef, a Skyline if I want weird :airquote: chili :airquote: spaghetti and oyster crackers I can fill with drops of hot sauce, and aUtHeNtIc NY pizza places selling heatlamp slices as far as the eye can see

I hate it, there's no good food here

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I've put cinnamon in regular chili and enjoyed it, I don't know what that makes me.

e: actually I suppose I do

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Cinnamon as an addition to an otherwise properly-spiced chili con carne sounds okay, it would add some interesting notes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dareon posted:

Cinnamon as an addition to an otherwise properly-spiced chili con carne sounds okay, it would add some interesting notes.

You need to be REAL careful about the quantity because it goes from notes to overpowering very quickly.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Can confirm; I posted essentially the same photo in an earlier iteration of this thread. I will say that the slop tasted good, at least.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Last time I made it, I couldn't find any cinnamon, but we had some Cinnamon Toast Crunch sprinkles, which worked well as a substitute.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Last time I made it, I couldn't find any cinnamon, but we had some Cinnamon Toast Crunch sprinkles, which worked well as a substitute.

now i'm picturing a chili casserole with cinnamon toast crunch for the top layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

More like

It's such a weird craving, but craving it is. I'm in

BTW the atmosphere in there is equally odd, if you dine in. You sit down and are served at your table and they fuss over you and refill your drink and stuff. And while I was eating various people came in and the waiters greeted them with exchanges like "So how've you been doing?" "Better" and "4-way, 3-way, pepsi, right?" If they don't recognize you they ask if you need a menu, and you're expected to know all the little rituals like with the hot sauce and so on. People make a real routine of this apparently