Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
I am interested in finding a new commander with 1-3 colors with the following criteria:

1) the "primary" color is blue
2) there is decent card draw
3) there is a good amount of counterspells/counterplay in the deck
4) opponents feel somewhat discouraged from attacking / casting spells on my commander or other permanents
5) there is sort of a clear win condition or multiple win conditions

The folks I play with tend to play fairly "strong" decks but it is nowhere near cEDH.

Any strong feelings re: who I should take a look at?

edit: budget is irrelevant -- this is going to be 100% proxied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Got put in a three-man pod today and I clapped some cheeks with my Shanna, Purifying Blade. Got wrathed like four times, but I still lasered someone's face off with Aetherflux Reservoir

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Watched your Myr video and I've gotta say, I'm feeling more handsome already.

Doing my best to turn people into Chads each week

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Batterypowered7 posted:

Got put in a three-man pod today and I clapped some cheeks with my Shanna, Purifying Blade. Got wrathed like four times, but I still lasered someone's face off with Aetherflux Reservoir

this seems like it might be a commander that actually fits my request one post up. mind sharing the deck list?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

1024x768 posted:

this seems like it might be a commander that actually fits my request one post up. mind sharing the deck list?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/OQ9jG2qzOkGHu91Qsg1EXg

Can't remember what YouTube channel's video I watched, but I modified the original list some. It's a pretty casual deck, though. Noxious Revival and Regrowth should be more impactful spells, should probably have Ballista in it, etc.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

UPS handed mine off to USPS so now I gotta wait for that ;_;

E:

This thing is bigger than I thought it was gonna be, lol

That's some sexy deckbox you got there.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I came up with this so far as a janky 1/1 counter deck. It feels like it's missing some interaction but I don't really want to cut creatures for more spells. I probably went a bit too hard on ramp though.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/OTaWCiULOUa2KvH1BOSTVw

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Solis posted:

I came up with this so far as a janky 1/1 counter deck. It feels like it's missing some interaction but I don't really want to cut creatures for more spells. I probably went a bit too hard on ramp though.

This might sound crazy since you have a good ramp package, but is 35 lands enough? I’m also not a big Chromatic Lantern person, if you’re ramp is good enough it should’ve be necessary.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Solis posted:

Why are you playing Reliquary Tower when casting Atraxa requires WUBG?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

disaster pastor posted:

Why are you playing Reliquary Tower when casting Atraxa requires WUBG?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

1024x768 posted:

I am interested in finding a new commander with 1-3 colors with the following criteria:

1) the "primary" color is blue
2) there is decent card draw
3) there is a good amount of counterspells/counterplay in the deck
4) opponents feel somewhat discouraged from attacking / casting spells on my commander or other permanents
5) there is sort of a clear win condition or multiple win conditions

The folks I play with tend to play fairly "strong" decks but it is nowhere near cEDH.

Any strong feelings re: who I should take a look at?

edit: budget is irrelevant -- this is going to be 100% proxied

Chulane, since the deck you described is basically "poo poo I was gonna do anyway.dec" and that's chulane's whole MO

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lol that there was a point in time when players were asking for Eternal Witness to be banned in Commander.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Anyone got photos of foil proxies from MPC? I'm thinking about ordering a few and remembered people complained they were a bit dark.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lol that there was a point in time when players were asking for Eternal Witness to be banned in Commander.

Riftsweeper tho?

In what reality was that a problem card?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

Riftsweeper tho?

In what reality was that a problem card?

Yes. Because there was no command zone and commanders existed in exile, so you could just yank your opponents commander into their graveyard before they could cast them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Bear in mind whenever looking at historical EDH stuff before 2013 or so, that the rules were a hosed-up nightmare hellscape and barely worked, so nothing is going to make sense without the context of the exact variant being played at any given moment.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Yes. Because there was no command zone and commanders existed in exile, so you could just yank your opponents commander into their graveyard before they could cast them.

lmao that rules. It's like Drannith Magistrate, with more "gently caress you in particular".

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

* tucks your Commander with Spin into Myth/Hinder/Spell Crumple *

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Framboise posted:

lmao that rules. It's like Drannith Magistrate, with more "gently caress you in particular".

I swear I made a roon deck whose whole point was just yeet your commander into exile forever (countering the trigger usually) but I can't find it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

* tucks your Commander with Spin into Myth/Hinder/Spell Crumple *

This was so incredibly bizarre because Hinder was an extremely salt-inducing thing and terrible for the format but WotC just went ahead and made Spell Crumple exclusively in a commander product for no good reason and it was, in part, what led to the tuck rule getting changed. Just an amazing own goal there.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

This was so incredibly bizarre because Hinder was an extremely salt-inducing thing and terrible for the format but WotC just went ahead and made Spell Crumple exclusively in a commander product for no good reason and it was, in part, what led to the tuck rule getting changed. Just an amazing own goal there.

I legit had to go back and check what Spell Crumple did because I thought to myself, "That had to only hit non-creature spells, right? No way they printed a second Hinder for no loving reason." But lo and behold, lmao

E:

Pretty sure I hit Sheldon with a Spin into Myth + Tunnel Vision at least once when I started playing EDH.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 8, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Spell Crumple is extremely funny and I don't think it's been played by anyone outside of an intact precon for like five years.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I have it in my Zedru deck. Sometimes you want to counter a spell that your opponent is recurring and stop seeing it any more.

It's not great.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
I normally don’t buy any premium priced Magic stuff, but I do like opening packs and usually get a box of set boosters for any regularly priced set. Commander Masters seemed like a fun set though, so I was considering breaking my rule if it was anywhere up to double what I normally spend on a set. Preorders just became available, and it’s just over four times the price of a regular set. Probably not even going to make a singles order because of that. Completely killed any interest I had in it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Yeah I'll draft it when it comes around for sure but I'm not cracking set booster packs at $500/box, that's insane.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The precons are $85, which is what I guessed they would be when they were revealed. I probably won't be engaging with this one despite really liking Commander. I wonder if it will even move secondary market prices at all.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Serf posted:

The precons are $85, which is what I guessed they would be when they were revealed. I probably won't be engaging with this one despite really liking Commander. I wonder if it will even move secondary market prices at all.

The Enchantments precon is listed at $66 on Amazon for some reason, lol.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

The Enchantments precon is listed at $66 on Amazon for some reason, lol.

Well it is Abzan

Since the precons are gonna have 10 new cards each (for some reason) I reckon there's a higher chance of them printing something busted in there that's worth grabbing along with pushed reprints. Like they'll probably include the Commander free spell cycle or something.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
No one really knows and people are speculating ridiculously hard.

I'm just gonna wait and buy into the dip. Unless there's anything insanely great in the precons, I dunno if I'll buy any of them at that price. I'm most interested to see how that Eldrazi deck looks. What could a colorless precon look like? It's never happened before.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

No one really knows and people are speculating ridiculously hard.

I'm just gonna wait and buy into the dip. Unless there's anything insanely great in the precons, I dunno if I'll buy any of them at that price. I'm most interested to see how that Eldrazi deck looks. What could a colorless precon look like? It's never happened before.

Reliquary Tower and Temple of the False God in the 99!

E:

Also Myriad Landscape because they forgot it can't fetch Wastes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Considered the picking the Eldrazi since it will probably have many of the parts of a colorless deck I want to build eventually. Hesitating bc the prices and I don't really like the Eldrazi that much, maybe since I wasn't playing and only vaguely get them but idk, not a theme to excite me on its own. Really probably more an issue with trying to make a deck with the not-colors. Eldrazi just a little bit too built-to-purpose.

Also I didn't get the joke earlier about Abzan. That's my favourite of the three-color groups, just has my 3 favourite colours so ez choice. It does seem to have the smallest selection of commanders though. Most options are actually just dependant and the class background cards.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A couple of weeks ago I spilled a drink and it got on two (thankfully bulk) real magic cards and a small stack of MPC proxies. The real cards blistered and cracked around the edges. The proxies were completely fine after being wiped clean and you'd never tell anything happened to them.

Not only does proxying free me from concerns about WotC's terrible pricing and reprint policies, it also turns out I get a superior product.

$500 for a booster box lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

A friend gifted me a foil, Phyrexian text Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines, so I guess I gotta go ahead and put together the deck now.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

A friend gifted me a foil, Phyrexian text Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines, so I guess I gotta go ahead and put together the deck now.

Don't do it you'll break the format.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If you're going to do mono white flicker etb stuff, I think Preston is a better commander with Elesh Norn in the 99 but on the other hand how can you not have that copy of the card front and centre

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you're going to do mono white flicker etb stuff, I think Preston is a better commander with Elesh Norn in the 99 but on the other hand how can you not have that copy of the card front and centre

Preston's instead in the 99. The order of foil proxies included Preston and a few other cards that either don't have foils (Pearl Medallion, Distinguished Conjurer, Blasted Landscape, etc) or were just very expensive in foil (Suture Priest, Fellwar Stone, Cloudstone Curio, etc).

pseudanonymous posted:

Don't do it you'll break the format.

I just won't play against Sheldon. I legitimately think he'd ban it if someone made him have a bad game with it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I just won't play against Sheldon. I legitimately think he'd ban it if someone made him have a bad game with it.

I'm gonna go to a commandfest and play a deck that puts Ensoul Artifact on a Sol Ring and beat him to death with it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I like Preston in the CZ because while he's less powerful on his own, it means you can put in token support like Mondrak and things get nuts

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm pretty sure he'd have banned it anyway by now if it was up to him, but it's not

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 8, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I do like Preston in the CZ a lot because it's nice to have one half of the combo with Felidar Guardian at the ready, but it's like you said, I wanna showcase Norn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Also Myriad Landscape because they forgot it can't fetch Wastes.

wait what, aren't they basics?