Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
First time taking the DSLR out this morning, was mainly just snapping away to get used to it. Annoyingly the lens went blurry on the way back which was when the sun decided to come out gloriously. Not sure what was wrong, seemed to still be blurry after a wipe but when I got back and tried some pictures it seemed to remedy itself.

As per the request for more dog pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No need to timg photos here friend, we're all about them pictures.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are two new 24mp cameras that I only heard about because there's an article on arstechnica (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...comments-page=1)

There's an APS-C R50 which is the RF equivalent of the M50, as I understand.
And an actual full-frame R8 with that will do 4k @60fps among other things, but no IBIS :argh:

And to address the obvious issue of lenses to go with your $500 camera, there will be new cheaper RF glass too. There are reviews I haven't watched yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N83GVsCb7qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FblfMaQksiY

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know the R50 is aimed squarely at beginners but man I wish it had better dial configuration because I'd love a small second body to have in the bag. R8 feels like a dud to me, it's a good price point for someone's first FF but compromises on too much to get any growing room. Just tighten the belt and go for an R6m2 if you ask me. Or live without FF and get the R10.

Am curious how that 55-210 performs, that's a good range for an light travel setup.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok just watched the reviews.

I really like my M50 for traveling but if I were to drop cash to upgrade within that class, I'd definitely want better controls even though it's kind of serviceable.

Last year I almost bought a refurb R6 if only Canon let me buy it with a non-American CC/billing address. But I was pretty happy I didn't once I went to play with one IRL. It's kind of huge compared to the m50 and not convenient for traveling. A thousand bucks less in a smaller body might be something that's just the right amount of compromises :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
R8 is weird. No IBIS kills it. The Nikon Z6 is cheaper, full frame, and has IBIS. (Am I missing something? Edit: It's not available anywhere. I think they closed them out at a discounted price..) Not sure what they're going for here.

The lenses they keep coming out are, imo, hot garbage compared to the EFS releases from years ago. They'e just too slow and more expensive. I'm not sure anyone would be interested in the RFS 50-210 f5-7.1 IS for $299 when they can get an EFS 55-250 f4-5.6 IS (Which is a known excellent A++ would buy again lens) for slightly cheaper, or even used, for $100. RF 24-50 4.5-6.3? WTF is that. NO. I'd rather use my EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6 from *20* years ago.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 8, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bacon Terrorist posted:

As per the request for more dog pics:

:swoon:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

The lenses they keep coming out are, imo, hot garbage compared to the EFS releases from years ago. They'e just too slow and more expensive. I'm not sure anyone would be interested in the RFS 50-210 f5-7.1 IS for $299 when they can get an EFS 55-250 f4-5.6 IS (Which is a known excellent A++ would buy again lens) for slightly cheaper, or even used, for $100. RF 24-50 4.5-6.3? WTF is that. NO. I'd rather use my EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6 from *20* years ago.

My thinking here is that Canon is releasing slow, unremarkable zoom lenses to create a giant chasm in quality between those lenses and their much more expensive RF lenses.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 10, 2024

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
R50 looks like kind of a cool camera. M50 with the focus features of an R camera. Too bad they can't seem to get their head out of their asses on lenses. Re-release the 22mm F/2, 32mm F/1.4, and 11-22mm from the EF-M series on R mounts and you'd have a pretty good compact camera system. I've always bought my bodies long after they've been replaced and come way down in price, but at this point I couldn't even approach the flexibility and portability the M50 gives me on R at any price point.

Speaking of which, I had a price watch set on the Sigma 16mm F/1.4 and one popped up on Amazon in Used-Like New condition for an absurdly low price. $20, I think? It was shipped by Amazon so I jumped on it figuring I'd probably get a wrong item and have to deal with a return, but sure enough the lens arrived as described. So I guess that's one more lens keeping me on the EF-M system.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm irrationally upset over those new RF lenses. I think it's because they did a nice job with the RF 100-400 and the RFS 18-150.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Leaving for a trip to Europe carrying ONLY a 50 mm F1.8 and 6D mkII combo. Wish me luck!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Leaving for a trip to Europe carrying ONLY a 50 mm F1.8 and 6D mkII combo. Wish me luck!

You'll do great! Good luck!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

R8 feels like a dud to me, it's a good price point for someone's first FF but compromises on too much to get any growing room. Just tighten the belt and go for an R6m2 if you ask me

Wait in what way? I'm looking at it as a second to my R6 I for both video and photo. The smaller size is a big plus for my needs as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Wait in what way? I'm looking at it as a second to my R6 I for both video and photo. The smaller size is a big plus for my needs as well.

No IBIS, no mechanical shutter, horrible burst rate with the first curtain electronic shutter. If you don't need those then yeah it's fine.

Yes it's FF so it's not supposed to be an action camera but the missing features mean it's got a narrower focus. I think the R7 or R10 are much more interesting second bodies.

You do get the R6 mk2 sensor for a thousand dollars less though which is pretty nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

No IBIS, no mechanical shutter, horrible burst rate with the first curtain electronic shutter. If you don't need those then yeah it's fine.

Yep those are all things I don't need or use. Thought maybe there was something critical (for me) I missed on the specs.

Now if they'd just finally release an RF 35L I'd be set. The 1.8 is a fine lens (and great for video with the frankly absurd IS) but lately I've been shooting a lot on the 70-200 2.8 and the quality difference feels way larger than it did on EF lenses. The RF L series is out of this world.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 22, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bottom Liner posted:

The RF L series is out of this world.

This is true, but I've been especially blown away by the additional quality improvements on my EF Sigmas. Canon has, to my knowledge, absolutely nothing to offer that can compare with the 20mm f/1.4, the 14-24mm f/2.8, or even the 150-600mm.

Oh, and a question: is anyone aware of a drop-in astro/"clear skies" filter for the EF-RF adapter? Breakthrough Photography allegedly has one but it's perpetually out of stock and from various sources it sounds like they're unable to even fulfill one of the 20 filters they offer.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

R8 feels like a dud to me,

the youtube channel camera conspiracies has this term the canon cripple hammer and it's so true

imagine how good their cameras would be if they didn't purposely cripple their middle tier models to hopefully intice someone to upgrade to a better one. a real fuckin shame

also, when they introduced the RF range, didn't they also introduce a parallel line for the smaller mirrorless? seems like such a bogus idea

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

I've got an R, and it feels like there is no direct followup from that camera. The R5 is just too much (and word on teh street is that the sensor is a bit poo poo colour wise) but the R6 is not quite enough.

And I am not prepared to lose FF.

Maybe I should have gone Sony. Although the same complaints about the R5 sensor can be lobbed at the sony too, technically good for lots of reasons, but the colours.. not quite right.

tbf I actually don't feel anything missing from the R, the iphone connectivity could be MUCH better, and I've heard the autofocus on the R5 is just insane and am jealous of that, but I really really do like my R so much

I shoot with a sigma 135 almost exclusively which is an EF lens and use the adapter

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why do you feel the 6 is not enough? We use a 5 and a 6 for weddings and other than resolution for prints (and giant file sizes) they’re indistinguishable. The autofocus is also exactly the same between the two in my experience. The 6 is near perfect unless you need mega resolution and the 6 ii or 8 add a bit more resolution.

We also had an R and RP before this and it’s night and day, no contest.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Why do you feel the 6 is not enough? We use a 5 and a 6 for weddings and other than resolution for prints (and giant file sizes) they’re indistinguishable. The autofocus is also exactly the same between the two in my experience. The 6 is near perfect unless you need mega resolution and the 6 ii or 8 add a bit more resolution.

it's been a while since I looked into it and decided exactly why, but I think the resolution was a big one. sometimes I crop hard lol

maybe I need to revisit my opinion. although that said I am also NOT in the market for a new camera lol

quote:

We also had an R and RP before this and it’s night and day, no contest.

are you saying the RP is bogus? or that the R sucks compared to the R5 and R6?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

i

are you saying the RP is bogus? or that the R sucks compared to the R5 and R6?

They both felt like a half-way there measure and I wasn’t sold on Canons foray into mirrorless until the 5 and 6 hit. Part of that is definitely on the lenses at the time as well.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting.

I am glad I don't feel the same way about my R.

I was loaned one for a weekend and I was immediately so in love with it lol.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First I've heard of potential color issues on the R5. I love the heck out of mine because it does a great job at everything I ask of it.

I know each sensor records color slightly differently but the reds look like red, the blues look like blues and the greens look like green. So if there is a limitation I ain't seeing it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbh the criticism of it sounded a bit wanky so I wouldn't read anything into it, it's also the only criticism I had ever heard of it myself too

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's two raws from the R6 and R5 respectively:

I can post 100% crops of others later but the colors are consistent and no issues from either.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm curious how IBIS isn't a must have. Unless you're on a tripod, IBIS is an incredible advantage that gives you SO much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If I’m shooting anything at a slower shutter speed I’m using a tripod yeah. Canon lens IS is much better than their body IS, especially at focal lengths where it’s a matter of practical shooting (keeping your shutter speed over 1/100th or so). The 70-200 2.8 has better IS than anything the bodies can do. And for video the IBIS is basically unusable because of the warping effect.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The latest IBIS doesn't have warping any longer as far as I know. The IBIS works in tandem with the lens IS giving you more stops. I guess I've been shooting mostly manual lenses without IS, but it's written as a must have thing forever going forward for me. It just kind of raised an eyebrow to see someone not care about it, is all. I was excited for the R8, but no IBIS kills it for me.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 23, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’m curious what stuff you’re shooting where you rely on it so much. Dusk and night shots? Slower/longer lenses for birding?

The warping is definitely still present. I shot a mountain bike doc two weeks ago and on anything under 50mm it becomes very apparent, but over 50 it’s weaker and less useful anyways. The R5C doesn’t even have IBIS because it’s no good for video.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yes, mostly hiking outdoor trails / walks through city. Day and night. I've noticed a high shutter speed doesn't guarantee a sharp image. That extra help from IBIS certainly does, though. At night I feel like I can get everything down to 1/6th @ 24mm handheld. I love it. For birding, it assists for perched birds, and it's especially helps when using a zoom as a macro on insects. Going from non-IBIS 7D2 to an R7 was a revelation to me. I used to have to hem and haw over lenses if they have IS or not. Now, it doesn't matter. Everything has IS and I can shoot it all.

Edit: If you're shooting video, that's my bad. I have very little to go on for that other than the youtubers who are obsessed about that warping. (Rightly so because it does look like rear end)

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 23, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm often traveling light (like literally just a 20l backpack) so the tripod doesn't always make it. In-lens IS is good (or better?) but both is best, from what I've seen. And some of my lenses don't have IS because it doesn't exist or would be a significant increase in cost (looking at you 70-200).

I've survived without IBIS so far but it's a bummer a $1500 camera doesn't have it and makes me question that upgrade path.

The R50 is a direct replacement for my M50 but is still requires a new mount (and no ibis anyway).

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Well if R8 had IBIS and little better viewfinder plus some more small stuff then it literally would be R6, no?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Still has the smaller form factor and battery type. For my uses though, I'd much rather have the better sensor than IBIS etc. I'm curious if it will have overheating issues on video though, given how drat tiny that body is.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Got the R6 recently, and an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM (with adapter).

But drat, I really underestimated how short battery life is of this, compared to my older canon. Probably been asked a million times, but how are third party batteries? Any brands that are more reliable?

Not planning to shoot film, but I do shoot a lot of concerts and often festivals where I want to be able to go whole days with as little break as possible.

Had my first real test the other day, with Brutus in town, and was fairly impressed, despite there being no photo pit and having to fight my way in the crowd and not knowing the camera all that well yet

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 8, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you shooting through the EVF or lcd? The EVF actually eats through the battery significantly faster which seems counterintuitive to me. I have some Neewer batteries that have been reliable.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Through the lcd i'm afraid haha. Glasses and viewfinder just never was great for me.

Thanks, I got my mom to buy some original canon batteries in the US for me (where they are about 30% cheaper than here...). But will need more, so will check out Neewer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you shooting through the EVF or lcd? The EVF actually eats through the battery significantly faster which seems counterintuitive to me. I have some Neewer batteries that have been reliable.

Why is this? I can't figure out why that would be especially when the EVF turns off when not up to your face.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not sure, maybe resolution related?

quote:

The R6 posts slightly better results: 380 shots per charge using the viewfinder in standard mode and 510 via the LCD

Crazy difference though. Make sure you have high refresh rate off as well, that cuts 30% off battery life under normal shooting circumstances. Also, get the LP-E6NH batteries as they're about 20% larger capacity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Neewer batteries are my preferred knockoff brand. But I imagine if you started peeling them open and inspecting components all the amazon third party brands are "fine."

On the R6 and R5, the EVF has double the resolution of the LCD and runs at 60fps in "power save" mode. I'm not sure what the refresh rate on the back panel is (no specifications list it) but it feels like it's 30fps to me.

Higher refresh and more pixels = more battery draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Philthy posted:

I'm curious how IBIS isn't a must have. Unless you're on a tripod, IBIS is an incredible advantage that gives you SO much.

yeah it'd be sweet but I don't yearn for it

I only shoot a 135mm and almost always at f/1.8 and am shooting at about 1/500 to avoid camera shake.. usually in natural light thats fine, and natural light is what I am doing

I do wish the R had some better low light ability tho. it's a bit sad when it's dim. oh well