Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

i say swears online posted:

chip and joanna gaines (and a dozen related shows) did a number on the whole country

what do you mean, having dozens of house flipping shows with advice like "New Stainless Steel Appliances - Cost 5000$ - Added value 20,000$" wasn't sustainable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

actionjackson posted:

wow that seems like a pretty low price

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/125-N-Mary-Ave-SPACE-114-Sunnyvale-CA-94086/153178023_zpid/

nm

how much money do you think stanford is getting for leasing some of their land for homes?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

RealityWarCriminal posted:

what do you mean, having dozens of house flipping shows with advice like "New Stainless Steel Appliances - Cost 5000$ - Added value 20,000$" wasn't sustainable

I wonder how it easy to be on these shows so I can at least know a contracting job will be finished without a ton of cleanup

maybe there is an income requirement because I don’t feel comfortable trying to spend anything liquid or getting a heloc

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those shows have fantasy contractors. it literally never works out like in those shows.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friend tried to put an uncovered deck in his back yard and hired someone cheap. they in turn hired other contractors to do it. built without a hitch, but it turns out the contractors who did the work never got paid. the first guys took literally $100,000 of my friend's money and disappeared, then the real contractors came back and ripped up the deck they just built. i'm shocked my friend dumped that much money into it but apparently the shady guys kept asking for more and bullshitted about delays and cost overruns and bidenflation

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

when will Biden’s reign of terror on the downtrodden homeowner and deck-buyers end? ??

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

didn’t we already have a talk about idiots spending $100,000 on decks?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i may have brought it up while being built but don't remember mentioning that they ripped it all out

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yes we have discussed the $100k deck people and I still refuse to feel bad for anyone that has $100k to spend on a deck

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

we keep talking about these loving decks and im going to just go outside and make myself a new one out of sheer anger

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

house prices should be higher

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone got some banging M/ML/MLM quotes on landlords I can use to spice up a speech I'm giving at a housing crisis open mic event? Something to either open or end my little rant about how landlords were still able to evict people for no good reason despite there being rent control and regulations where I lived.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

palindrome posted:

I mean, you can do decently as a public school teacher .... for working 9 months of the year....

Are you absolutely certain that teachers, even top tier ones, work for only 9 months of the year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s like 10.25 months of 70 hour weeks

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I wonder how it easy to be on these shows so I can at least know a contracting job will be finished without a ton of cleanup

maybe there is an income requirement because I don’t feel comfortable trying to spend anything liquid or getting a heloc

A couple here was on House Hunters a few years back and did a tell-all about how it's all fake.

To be on House Hunters, you've got to supply the three houses to be viewed so people just get the one they closed on + borrow two friends/family members' houses for the show

the jobs are made up, the budget is made up, the prices are made up

The show is basically there for product placement, everything else is fictional

Apr 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

my friend tried to put an uncovered deck in his back yard and hired someone cheap. they in turn hired other contractors to do it. built without a hitch, but it turns out the contractors who did the work never got paid. the first guys took literally $100,000 of my friend's money and disappeared, then the real contractors came back and ripped up the deck they just built. i'm shocked my friend dumped that much money into it but apparently the shady guys kept asking for more and bullshitted about delays and cost overruns and bidenflation

If they've got $100K to drop on a deck and they're dumb enough to spend it, you should probably get some of that money too before they lose it all

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i do drink pretty good bourbon when i visit

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what is going on with this lady's shirt

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

she’s photoshopped to have a Barbie doll figure. it’s done poorly in the lower left corner.

Apr 7, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

She's building wealth

Apr 7, 2003

This is a real description that someone wrote for a real house for sale.

quote:

Introducing 3253 Josephine st, the latest creation from nationally renowned remodeling experts Reveal Renovations. Featured on HGTV and known for their attention to detail, they painstakingly hand crafted and sculpted what was once just a pile of clay into a masterpiece akin to Michelangelos David. Quality and creativity are the hallmarks of this beautiful turn of the century home nestled on the burgeoning hill side of the South Side slopes. Capitalizing on the unique personality of home, sliding glass doors were installed maximizing the view of surrounding the woods. The open style floor plan allows for your guests to naturally flow from the modern kitchen equipped with Stainless Steel appliances to the living and newly built deck area. Two full bathrooms, one on each floor, and ample off street parking round out an impressive vision that will leave you saying Reveal has don't it again .

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3253-Josephine-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15203_M43874-52316

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

They should definitely don’t it again.

Must be a Pittsburgh thing, but I am not sure I want a rebuilt house nestled between two rotting hulks towering over it. Especially on a hillside to make things extra likely for catastrophic failure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how is the square footage literally not listed

did I miss it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the always popular eagle scout project style deck

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

That's a thing that's happening all over here and I could show you ten more listings like that, flippers just don't finish the lumber on their new projects. I saw an entire porch + railings like that. No paint, no finish.

seems like a great idea in an area that gets a lot of snow and constant rain when it isn't snowing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like it has to be illegal to not list the square footage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

that seems like a lot of work for an eagle scout don't they usually make mailboxes or some poo poo

i poured a sidewalk through town and gave up halfway, what the gently caress was i thinking

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Let's see here. Listed for 4x what it was bought for two years ago. Boring, grey poo poo interior. Cheapass hanging light fixtures that are basically a few bits of wire around a bare bulb. Cheap :siren:stainless steel:siren: appliances. A deck made of unfinished wood. More contractor-grade garbage in the bathrooms (tub, toilet, sink, etc.). Dark metal fixtures to offset the light greys, but without using color in any way. A railing around the stairwell in the attic that looks like it might be warping in places. A majestic view of a mine or something off the deck. Conveniently nestled between two houses which look as poorly-maintained as this one probably is.

Needs more barn doors.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
That untreated wood decking makes my brain hurt

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Michelangelo would weep at the beauty

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Dan Flashes has branched out

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

That untreated wood decking makes my brain hurt

Someone needs to figure out what the gently caress is going on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aaaaa

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This one looks pretty good. They do make clear acrylic wood finish, I'd be curious if that one has it since its house siding not deck material.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
good lord that fence

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
what the hell, 2 years ago someone on my street replaced their front posts and steps and has not painted the untreated wood during this time. we’ve had a blizzard and poo poo loads of snow since then. probably not related but what is going on with this poo poo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You can't fool me, that's jimbee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think anyone tells them that the paint helps to protect the wood