Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea by giving him a $60 million signing bonus, which is kind of absurd. Never understood how bonuses apparently don’t count against the cap.

So a 5 year, $60 bonus is paid out immediately, but is split evently across the first five years of the contract. it would only count $12 this year, even though you are giving him a bunch of money upfront

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah it's why I said, if the owners have the liquid cash, they can just convert poo poo into bonuses, and the cap doesn't mean poo poo, as you can constantly do that type of fuckery.

Dexo posted:

the nfl salary cap is fake, or like it exists, but is set up in a way where if you really really wanted to and had the liquid capital as an owner, you can kick the can for almost a decade before you need to worry about it.

if your owner can, and is willing to convert stuff into bonuses and pay out cash instantly, it's loving trivial to create space and make space. Now, Most owners aren't and then have trained fans to think they are simply forced to not pay someone by the cap situation. Despite them always finding and restructuring if they see something they have to have.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Yea by giving him a $60 million signing bonus, which is kind of absurd. Never understood how bonuses apparently don’t count against the cap.

They do.

The cap is real but also very easy to manipulate over the short to medium term. Eventually a reckoning has to happen but it can generally be put off until an opportune time like when the team needs to rebuild anyway because the franchise QB or head coach retires.

QB is also the single most important position in the game by a wide margin so it’s the one place you absolutely have to pay what the market demands if you want to be competitive. You can try to draft and develop or fill gaps with value priced role players everywhere else, but if you’ve got a top 10 QB you have to pay them. The cap keeps going up so in a few years todays record breaking contract will look more reasonable as some other QBs set new records.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/KyleMalzhan/status/1633281184921706497

His arm delivery looks so similar to Rodgers and the passes are obviously smooth and accurate, but he looks stiff setting up for the throw and he doesn't do the little hop like Rodgers does (not that he should, but Rodgers does it to help prevent leg injuries). Wonder how he'll perform in live action, if that little pause before he throws will still persist.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mitch allegedly had great practices too.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Timby posted:

Next year's free agent market looks a lot better than this one's.

The good thing is that this doesn't matter if the Bears are smart. They just need to front load the contracts they make this year with signing bonuses. If they do this they can actually make their hires this year have very little impact on the cap in the short and medium term.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Timby posted:

Next year's free agent market looks a lot better than this one's.

This is always the case this time of year, because most of the players at the top of any 2024 list are going to be obviously extended or somehow locked up between now and then.

This FA class looks about the same as any others imo and you can still easily construct a league average to above average Defensive front 7 and OL 5, even if you pretend like nobody on the Bears current roster will be starting next season.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL/status/1633535392241823744

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lamar is a pretty big gamble but if there's one coaching staff I'd trust to best maximize his talents it's Campbell's.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Now I’m hoping Indy snags Lamar, if only for the draft chaos that would result.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Great practice at kissing titties

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I mean you would have to be just awful to not look good in practice

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you would have to be just awful to not look good in practice

*thumbs through folder labeled ‘Hackenberg’

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Risdon at Lions wire had a draft I'd like.

First five lions picks

Christian Gonzalez - CB
Keion White - DL
Trenton Simpson - LB
Hendon Hooker - QB
Zach Charbonnet - RB

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Theres no fuckin way the Lions, doing what they have done, will invest so much (money and draft) for Lamarr Jackson. He's not a fit in their plan.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Comfortador posted:

Theres no fuckin way the Lions, doing what they have done, will invest so much (money and draft) for Lamarr Jackson. He's not a fit in their plan.

I generally agree except for the fact that QB is just such an important position, sometimes you kinda have to break all the rules to get The Guy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You literally get all this draft capital and manage the cap specifically for situations where you can use it to bring in elite players.

It is rare a young MVP caliber QB is ever available rarer for 2 first round picks only.

It would be malpractice to not toss it around internally and consider it if you have the resources.

Maybe it doesn't work for the Lions, maybe they fear his injury history. But yeah man you do what it takes to get a QB

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest it’s not like the lions plan is some guaranteed success. It could end up failing in the long run just as well as going for Lamar would

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Remember when Lamar had to run to the locker room to take a poo poo?

Yeah, pay THAT guy all the monies. :hmmyes:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like look at that dude's Record.

And then look at his offensive line and players around him.

He's had some solid defenses of course.

But the Ravens org and Decosta have been coasting on Ozzie's success since he took a paper title role.

Maybe he doesn't have to die out there if he has some weapons and a line to make things easy most of the time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

At the very least you gotta put together an offer and see if he's interested. Maybe he's not the guy, but that's true of any potential pick.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Remember when Lamar had to run to the locker room to take a poo poo?

Yeah, pay THAT guy all the monies. :hmmyes:

I also remember him coming back in and using the power of Empty Bowels to lead a comeback win!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I also remember him coming back in and using the power of Empty Bowels to lead a comeback win!

Maybe they wouldn't have been behind if he had emptied his bowels at halftime. :shrug:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Maybe they wouldn't have been behind if he had emptied his bowels at halftime. :shrug:

Look at this guy who's never had a poo poo sneak up on him!

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm picturing lamar going to deep to Hollywood brown and him dropping it.

Then picturing it to Jamo or Chark... and them also dropping it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

His arm delivery looks so similar to Rodgers and the passes are obviously smooth and accurate, but he looks stiff setting up for the throw and he doesn't do the little hop like Rodgers does (not that he should, but Rodgers does it to help prevent leg injuries). Wonder how he'll perform in live action, if that little pause before he throws will still persist.

From what I've seen, Love's three biggest struggles are:

1.) Decision making with pressure in his face
2.) Not being a willing runner when the play breaks down
3.) Deep ball accuracy (really small sample size on this in particular, admittedly)

It's probably not possible to know whether he's improved on those until the season starts, and even if he's on the right trajectory, it's gonna take time.

Looking at Rodgers in 2008, I felt it was pretty clear during his first season that he was going to become an above-average starting QB. Ultimately, he went for 28 TDs, 13 INTs, about 4,000 yards passing, and a completion rate of 63.6%, rushing for another 200 yards and 4 TDs. There were some very underwhelming games during that stretch, though.

We'll see what Love can do. I'm skeptical, but he seems like a great guy and I want to root for him. We got our championship out of Rodgers and we're not getting another one from him, let's move on.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Danny LaFever posted:

I'm picturing lamar going to deep to Hollywood brown and him dropping it.

Then picturing it to Jamo or Chark... and them also dropping it.

A Hollywood Brown is what Lamar leaves behind in the visitor's locker room after playing the Rams

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

Bob Mcginn says the Packers are done with Rodgers which would be cool, but I’m pretty sure he’s full of poo poo so :shrug:

https://twitter.com/BoyGreen25/status/1633568030465589248

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Lamar’s favorite pass is the Dump Pass.

*deadpan squeezes all the air out of a whoopie cushion*

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I don't think he is worth what he would cost. His appeal is his running which we've seen reduce someones longevity in the league.

Coupled that he's his own agent and wants a Deshaun Watson type deal? Hard pass.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Lamar is absolutely worth two firsts

That is less than what loving Russ went for. Lamar is 25. He can throw from the pocket, did in college with a pro style offense, and has never had a WR like Amon'Ra St Brown.

I'd feel for Goff. He'd still find another gig.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Its not going to happen, they are building this team right from the trenches out.

Throwing some cap heavy QB into the mix when we currently have a decent game manager who knows our system and has good synergy with our OC makes zero sense.

He's been hurt way too often, two 1st rounders and a 200 mil+ contract with most of it guaranteed? It just doesn't make sense for how they've been building this team.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yeah that's why it would be extremely funny if they signed him and it was a disaster

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Wishing disaster upon our division rivals in order to distract us from the fuckups of our own teams is the Nfc North way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lol people unironically talking themselves into the system

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If you try it and it works it’s the right call and your team gets its best chance at a playoff win in your lifetime, if you try it and it doesn’t you merely hosed up on the best chance to capitalize on a division no longer dominated by a Packers-employed HOF QB for the first time in your lifetime, and if you don’t try it you’re a coward

What’s important is, either way it’ll be funny

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 9, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well, the Lions are winning this division either way with how much of a dumpster fire the rest of your lovely teams are, that I'm not worried about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Draft Diet Lamar Jackson.

Draft....Malik Cunningham.

In the 6th round.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think the more likely scenario is the Vikings win the division while the lions put up a respectable 7 wins after a disastrous start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vikings aren't a dumpster fire, they are just like specifically engineered to be good enough to disappoint in the playoffs.