Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

e. nm wrong thread

oh poo poo a snipe uhhhhhhhh

Joe Pera's new podcast is very educational about soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

CommonShore posted:

Sounds like a good way never to have any actual academic guests on your show.

Hi, let me introduce you to riverside.fm, it works identically to every browser teleconference thing out there and gives you separate local recordings from everyone.

These problems are absolutely solved, but somehow literally-20th-Century-Fox-founded-and-Amazon-owned Wondery can't do it.

(Shipping a mic is a little harder. A show with the backing that Wondery has should probably be able to ship a Samson Q2U and a mic arm to anyone, though, or at least a decent headset. Let them keep it, even, it's almost cheaper than getting it shipped back.)

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

tracecomplete posted:

His interviewers need to not be interviewed via "shouting at laptops from across the room".

Ship out a $60 mic. It's cheaper than your editor trying to fix it.

This kills me with every podcast out there, especially since the lockdowns.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kinda wish I had asked if the latest Carlin was a series or not. I hate starting series I can't finish right away.

Still, this one just kinda slid by me. I enjoyed Supernova in the East despite all of its problems because I knew so little about it. I've heard other podcasts do vikings and of course they do it all better. Carlin's pop-culture metaphors are practically self-parody and he knows it but he still can't help himself. It's hard to take him seriously honestly, which is fine, but the worse the historiography gets the less he stands out in a sea of stellar products. His inability to use untranslated (hell even just niche) material is glaring.

Inertia's kept me going so far, but this may be it for me with the guy. Funny cause he was definitely the first podcast I listened to with any regularity to the point I paid for the backlog and I'm a cheapskate.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

imo Dan's early stuff does stand out because it was produced when the competition was very low quality. Dan had a decent voice and sense enough to have a producer which by that quality alone set him apart compared to Mike Duncan talking into his macbook at his kitchen table and we hear his wife moving around their apartment in the background, and the early History of Rome was still a notch above the others. Unfortunately though, Dan has stuck to his early formula and in several ways regressed while everyone else has gotten exponentially better.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I know it's an old observation but I got back into HH for the new "Viking" episode and Dan still can't cite a book written in this millennium.

Edit: you know what, he mentions a Tom Holland book, so I'm wrong.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Imagine a boxer stepping into the ring to fight Spider-Man

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Imagine a boxer stepping into the ring to fight Spider-Man

Yes but which one is the Martian?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Count Roland posted:

Yes but which one is the Martian?

He is in DC, they havent announced a jon jonzz movie yet

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

I know it's an old observation but I got back into HH for the new "Viking" episode and Dan still can't cite a book written in this millennium.

Historians in the past were closer in time to the events described so I think they know what they're talking about better than we do.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Historians in the past were closer in time to the events described so I think they know what they're talking about better than we do.

Besides bias (political/racial etc.) those historians may not have had access to primary source documents that are now public.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

uPen posted:

Besides bias (political/racial etc.) those historians may not have had access to primary source documents that are now public.

nah

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also, I like Tom Holland but he's not writing the same kinds of books as the older sources.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

uPen posted:

I'm pretty sure the person you're quoting was joking.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

So I finally listened to a bit of Tides. The pop history is decent enough, but does the pod ever quit with epic_music.mp3? Or stuff like "They called him Vlad... (:science: BOOM BOOM CHIKOW LIGHTNING SFX :science:)... The Impaler." :smug:

Most of the time it's fine, but it can be kind of distracting/unintentionally funny

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No it's comically overproduced. You just get used to it.

Except the times the music is so loud you can barely hear what he's saying.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Appoda posted:

So I finally listened to a bit of Tides. The pop history is decent enough, but does the pod ever quit with epic_music.mp3? Or stuff like "They called him Vlad... (:science: BOOM BOOM CHIKOW LIGHTNING SFX :science:)... The Impaler." :smug:

Most of the time it's fine, but it can be kind of distracting/unintentionally funny

No it remains. I've listened to a number of episodes but the podcast has always bugged me at a low level so I stopped.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i like his dumb little intros where he is having a red hot crack at wriring historical fiction

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i like his dumb little intros where he is having a red hot crack at wriring historical fiction

I unironically would listen to a podcast of that, every time in a different period.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kiminewt posted:

I unironically would listen to a podcast of that, every time in a different period.

There was a podcast called “twilight histories” that does that. Looks like it is still going, and the maker also wrote a novel and a tabletop roleplaying game based off the idea.

Time travel tourism to different periods. Give it a listen, it might be right up your alley.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I frequently think back on the one he did for the "prehistoric" bronze age, where one tribe is ambushed by another. He gets in so much character work and evocative description so quickly, I want to continue that story.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

rotinaj posted:

There was a podcast called “twilight histories” that does that. Looks like it is still going, and the maker also wrote a novel and a tabletop roleplaying game based off the idea.

Time travel tourism to different periods. Give it a listen, it might be right up your alley.

I remember listening and enjoying that podcast one million years ago. It had a great series about the black death in italy and others. Checked it out again recently and seems like the original host/writer hosed up his voice something fierce and has started leaving both writing and VA to others, and sadly it doesn't seem to have ever gotten any real traction or popularity, which is a shame

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Making up Weird Historical Guys and using them as framing devices has been one of his things going back to Fall of Rome, I like it as a way of humanizing what gets discussed in particular episodes.

E: I want a Wyman narration of the opening scene of Marvel's Eternals that takes place in pre-historic Mesopotamia.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 13, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I think it goes all the way back to his PhD days, where it was a useful conceptual exercise to go through.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People have weird ideas about the past, like I had a teacher in college who told us people living during Roman times were basically just animals since they didn't have the same kind of education we do to teach us how to control our emotions. Obviously education's a lot more egalitarian today than it was back then, but it was pretty funny seeing what an extreme take he spun off from that, and I assume people having dumb ideas like that is part of what the 'no, people in the past really were people like you and me' narratives are meant to counter. I figure there's a pretty good chance there's some overcorrection here or there, but that it's a lot closer to the truth than thinking people from a couple thousand years ago were animals.

I think I might be bailing on this season though, at least for a while. It just feels like more of the same after the not especially exciting back half of last season. Like okay trade networks have grown a bit over time and historians take issue with people calling another dark age a dark age, really shocking stuff here. I know that's not fair, but it does feel like some of these episodes take a long time to say not a whole lot. I liked the episodes on the Neo-Assyrian Empire tbf, so maybe it's just the Mediterranean that's boring me and I'll check back in when it goes somewhere else, idk.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 13, 2023

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Any particularly recommended episodes of The Dollop? I’ve only recently got into it for some reason and been really enjoying it.

Happy with any topic as long as it’s funny enough, and kinda relatable.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

323 - New York To Paris
46 - The Cereal Men
12 - Rube Waddell
87 - Action Park
and 207 - The animal horror of Macquarie island.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rube Waddell is a classic. The first one I ever heard was "ten cent beer", about a baseball riot, and it set both a tone and a standard of quality that defined The Dollop for me.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 14, 2023

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Anything about baseball

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

AFewBricksShy posted:

323 - New York To Paris
46 - The Cereal Men
12 - Rube Waddell
87 - Action Park
and 207 - The animal horror of Macquarie island.

Solid picks, the last one is the penguin one and my favourite. Other good ones are 364 - Proctor & Gamble, 266 - the history of eugenics, and basically any about US presidents or their failed assassins or other related persons (ep 117?). The one about the Swedish pirate princess was also noteworthy. The beer riot is number 15 - ten cent beer night. Honourable? mention to 146 - Philly's Frank Rizzo

I should say they sometime have another archetype of episodes too, about largely unknown people who survived things that are unbelievable. Those are not as funny as they are moving*.
Except for the unkillable irishman where it's the other way around

*Hugh Glass is the first one, but there's one about a young woman on a Canadian Arctic expedition, and another about a young mother on the 18th century west coast who carried her two infant children back to inhabited lands after her mountain man husband died. In winter. I won't spoil how long it took.
F e: (446) Ada Blackjack (née Delutuk), can't remember what number the last one hides under
This is Ada btw:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
244 - The Battle of Hayes Park is a fun one. The Klan shows up in a town, and things don’t go well for them.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I've given up on the Dollop for the past 18 months or so because it seemed like they were running out of interesting topics and focusing on obscure people that were kind of meh. Are there any recent classics that I can dip back in on?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

I've given up on the Dollop for the past 18 months or so because it seemed like they were running out of interesting topics and focusing on obscure people that were kind of meh. Are there any recent classics that I can dip back in on?

They started doing a fun side series called “the past times” where they read an old timey newspaper and make fun of it with a comedian friend. Those have been great.

The Rodney King episode was interesting, the Dean Kaman ep was interesting, the plague and PG&E episodes were all interesting.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Jack B Nimble posted:

He also frequently cites Children of Ash and Elm, which was published in 2020.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh, yeah, you're absolutely right, good point.

I turned it off about halfway through but it's still on my phone, it's not bad, it's more that I'm not in a hurry to have no more Dan Carlin for a year or more.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

stealie72 posted:

The one that got me interested was William Wentworth (543), mainly because he’s a well known figure in early Australian history and there’s a ton of stuff named after him around Sydney. But he’s really remembered only for a minor thing early in his life (crossing the Blue Mountains), so it was fascinating to find out how much of a complete arsehole he was.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the more i listen to tides of history the more it drives me mad that the more interesting the interview episodes are to paul the more he has to speed up the audio file and cut out gaps to cram the content in and theyre always the best interviews but it sounds fuckin weird

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

New episode of Fall of Civilizations is up, 3.5 hours on Carthage and the Phoenicians

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Neat! I also need to check if I should swap podcast apps, cause this ain't up on Player.fm, and it's not been the only channel that that's happened with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

webmeister posted:

New episode of Fall of Civilizations is up, 3.5 hours on Carthage and the Phoenicians

bruh gently caress yeah