Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Worth remembering that COVID wasn't measles-level infectious when it first landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nice piece of fish posted:

And we have to what. Just take this? I mean with sky-high productivity, insane prices on everything, we are just supposed to accept breadcrumbs at the bargaining table?

Scandinavian wages are not too high. European wages are too low. All "wage stagnation" is going to do is make rich people richer and poor people more numerous, and rich people are busy fleeing for Switzerland rather than pay back into the system that made them wealthy in the first place.

I am very unhappy with this development.

well it's the inevitable consequence of the political direction we're on, which is non-negotiable to the parties of state on both the left and the right and to which even SV are starting to warm up.

the current government won power by basically promising to fudge this and somehow square the circle, but it immediately and obviously failed, as represented by the ongoing electricity-price debacle. i am likewise very unhappy with the development, but i really can't see how to reverse it without measures which would dramatically increase the level of conflict within our society as well as between it and our neighbours.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Orio posted:

No, I'm asking how that would help in terms of achieving zero covid, which is very different from just limiting infection. I thought that was pretty self-evident from the rest of my post.

What kind of answer are you looking for here? Your assertion is that the only way to pursue an elimination strategy for the disease is to "faultlessly implement extreme levels of state control". I don't think that's true in a world where most countries attempted to eliminate the disease, but obviously I can't provide evidence for counterfactuals. I can point out that zero covid wasn't an exclusively Chinese policy, and I don't believe New Zealand or Vietnam welded anyone into their homes.

Every country (except maybe North Korea) has abandoned zero covid at this point, but covid is substantially more infectious now than it was early in the pandemic, so the level of lockdown needed to control it now is not the same as it was then.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

evil_bunnY posted:

This can be (uselessly) argued both ways.

Fair enough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

evil_bunnY posted:

This can be (uselessly) argued both ways.

I disagree.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Worth remembering that COVID wasn't measles-level infectious when it first landed.

The initial Wuhan strain was still really infectious though, likely more than influenza and RSV, and it quickly gained point mutations that made it more infectious.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Sweden also has a system where at least an overwhelming majority of workers can stay home if they feel sick and their employer has no say on the matter. That probably helped a lot when compared to other "open" countries where a lot more people died.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah the presence of a serviceable social security net was probably immensely important, and it being already in place meant that the government only needed some occasional tweaks (karensdag) to make it more manageable for the average Joe. Compare that to the rollout of elptisstödet which apparently was in effect already before November 1st but actually not until just a few weeks ago and also oops big surprise most of it went to corporations no you can’t see the receipts you have to wait 20 years first shut up YOU are corrupt!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Orio posted:

I will never understand the need to blame liberal democracy for covid deaths in Scandinavia, and not on the pandemic itself. Scandinavia by all accounts fared really well through the pandemic, and it seems to annoy some people to no end.
I'm blaming a bureaucrat who didn't mind letting a novel virus rampage through our elder populations.

Feliday Melody posted:

Sweden also has a system where at least an overwhelming majority of workers can stay home if they feel sick and their employer has no say on the matter. That probably helped a lot when compared to other "open" countries where a lot more people died.
Ayup. The amount of stories I've heard from people in the US being forced to work (or unable to afford not working) with obvious covid (or clearly sick coworkers) is disheartening.

TheFluff posted:

e: I think your edit kinda illustrates my point btw. FHM could make recommendations or rules as much as it liked but that didn't mean society would instantly do as they said.
My point was that "recommendations" were vague, open to interpretation or not strict enough, and that's a recipe for disaster precisely because employers then get to abuse them.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 8, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I feel like Norway was pretty close to going with a similar policy to Sweden's at the start of the pandemic. My recollection is that that was initially the plan, except that some of the largest city kommuner imposed their own restrictions and the national government was forced to back them retroactively or look very stupid. At least in Trondheim the kommune itself seemed like it was pushed into that, since several of the largest employers in the city (including the university) sent everyone home a few days before the kommune came out with its own "everyone* stay home" policy.

*assuming you work in an office

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/q1Qr7m/polis-doms-for-tjanstefel

If you want to knee a teenager in the stomach until they vomit and then strip search another teen in the middle of the street, then it will cost you only 28000 SEK, as long as you're a cop.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

If you want to knee a teenager in the stomach until they vomit and then strip search another teen in the middle of the street, then it will cost you only 28000 SEK, as long as you're a cop.

And of course he gets to keep on being a pig, no reason to get rid of such an amazing colleague.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The new shadow government SD wants more of that sort of piggery so yeah not gonna be fired for it. 28k is a surprisingly high fine IMO.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

big scary monsters posted:

I feel like Norway was pretty close to going with a similar policy to Sweden's at the start of the pandemic. My recollection is that that was initially the plan, except that some of the largest city kommuner imposed their own restrictions and the national government was forced to back them retroactively or look very stupid. At least in Trondheim the kommune itself seemed like it was pushed into that, since several of the largest employers in the city (including the university) sent everyone home a few days before the kommune came out with its own "everyone* stay home" policy.

*assuming you work in an office

yeah, some bureaucrats in frosta and then in bergen freaked out. bergen then got in touch with oslo and worked out a somewhat *creative* interpretation of smittevernloven which resulted in lockdowns in the two largest cities in the country, with more municipalities following suit very quickly. at that point the government was pretty much forced into adopting a national lockdown policy.

erna solberg had really good spin doctors; so much of the pandemic was so obviously reactive or just outright mishandled (remember the last flight home from spain?) in ways with which i don't think that the present government would've gotten away

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Potrzebie posted:

And of course he gets to keep on being a pig, no reason to get rid of such an amazing colleague.

a dark lol at the personalansvarsnämnd deciding, before the verdict, that the police officer would be fired if guilty of more severe case of assault, but if it was a "ringa misshandel" of an innocent victim then it's ok, keep up the good job. Because just bruising up people on the streets as a cop is to be expected, I guess?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah reading what those uni's did and contrasting it to our local orgs was pretty eye-opening. Ours even tried to keep admin in office and it immediately blew up in their faces.

Potrzebie posted:

That's the more outrageous part yes. If somebody did that to my kid I'd be out for blood.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

evil_bunnY posted:

That's the more outrageous part yes. If somebody did that to my kid I'd be out for blood.

Yeah, I can't imagine what would :crackping: me harder and faster than this kind of experience. Also I'd quit my job if my bosses would keep this kind of scum around. It's shameful.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Potrzebie posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine what would :crackping: me harder and faster than this kind of experience. Also I'd quit my job if my bosses would keep this kind of scum around. It's shameful.
I'm already :crackping: 'ed from all my non-white friends (and only my non-white friends) getting poo poo from the cops when I was in uni. There was an criminal event near my house (sorry for vagueness, specifying the type would turbo-doxx me), and my neighbors looked horrified by how I talked to the cops lol. The only people more incompetent than the perps are the cops who'll never find them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I will let this "insändare" in DN summarize my thoughts on the utter travesty that is my workplace (MTR Pendeltåg) right now:

https://www.dn.se/insandare/stoppa-mtrs-inforande-av-tag-som-kors-av-ensamma-forare/

quote:

Politiker, det är dags att agera! Som på bilden ovan ser det numera ut dagligen när tiotusentals resenärer försöker ta sig till och från jobbet i Stockholmsområdet. Det är oacceptabelt!

I onsdags hade jag nästan en fördubblad restid till skolan där jag jobbar, och då tar det redan ett bra tag att ta sig till innerstan från förorten. Jag möttes där av mejl från föräldrar som bett sina barn att vända om och försöka göra skolarbetet hemifrån efter att de väntat förgäves på tåget i 11 minusgrader på en knökfull perrong.

Kommer det ett tåg så är det så fullt att det är svårt att andas ordentligt ombord. Snacka om perfekta förutsättningar för covid-19 att göra storstilad comeback!

Tågoperatören MTR skyller på ”personalbrist” och ”personalbyte”. Men det handlar i själva verket om en enda sak: att MTR vill skära kostnader och öka sin vinst genom att införa DOO (Driver only operations), alltså att lokföraren ska vara ensam personal ombord och inte längre bara ansvara för att framföra tåget på ett säkert sätt, utan även ta över tågvärdens ansvar för att övervaka kameror, på- och avstigning, hänvisa passagerare med särskilda behov till stationsvärden (hur länge nu de finns kvar?) samt sköta kommunikation med resenärerna.

Lokförarna har kraftigt genom sina fackföreningar motsatt sig detta. DOO är nämligen en katastrof för säkerheten, för resenärerna och för lokförarnas arbetsmiljö.

En god vän som är lokförare vittnar om hur vidrigt de behandlas. Hen har protesterat mot att ensam tvingas ansvara för upp till 1 800 resenärer i stället för att, som tidigare, ansvara för att köra och har som svar schemalagts som ”utebliven från tjänst” (UFT) i ett par dagar. Beordrad att stanna hemma, alltså. Utan lön. Så här beter sig alltså MTR, som har mage att hänvisa till ”personalbrist” när vi resenärer drabbas. Min vän har gett mig tillstånd att skriva detta, men vill självklart vara anonym eftersom ”det här företaget är Voldemort”.

MTR hänvisar gärna till hur bra DOO fungerar i Storbritannien. En kollega till min vän kontaktade deras fack och fick detta svar:

”Thank you for your email. Driver only operation is dangerous for staff and passengers, and we consider it unacceptable for safe, functioning railways.

The introduction of DOO has been attempted and resisted by our union for years, and we are still continuing to fight against its imposition.

We would encourage all drivers and rail workers who wish to resist the introduction of DOO to join a trade union as the most effective way for collectively campaigning for change.

Best wishes”

Översättning:

”Tack för ditt mejl! Drivers only operation är farligt för personal och passagerare, och vi anser att det är oacceptabelt på säkra, fungerande järnvägar.

Försöken att införa DOO har väckt motstånd från vår fackliga organisation under åratal, och vi fortsätter att kämpa mot dess införande.

Vi uppmuntrar alla tågförare och järnvägsarbetare som vill stoppa införandet av DOO att bli medlem i en fackförening som det mest effektiva sättet för att kollektivt arbeta för en förändring.

Bästa hälsningar”

Se denna artikel och även denna som understryker detsamma.

MTR beter sig som skurkar! Jag tvingas betala 1 000 kronor i månaden till detta företag för att kunna ta mig till jobbet. Många andra sitter i samma sits.

● Resenärer: Säg ifrån! Sprid information om hur det ligger till!

● Journalister: Gräv! Kräv svar!

● Politiker: Tänk om och sätt stopp för detta vansinne!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm already :crackping: 'ed from all my non-white friends (and only my non-white friends) getting poo poo from the cops when I was in uni. There was an criminal event near my house (sorry for vagueness, specifying the type would turbo-doxx me), and my neighbors looked horrified by how I talked to the cops lol. The only people more incompetent than the perps are the cops who'll never find them.

Sadly the cops can't do poo poo if people don't testify and they get some hard evidence. Luckily for a severe crime near our place the perps got filmed doing the deed and hosed up so much that the police found both willing witnesses, so they could arrest the perps an hour after the deed, and ample evidence, so that the perps eventually confessed basically everything. But that confluence of lucky factors is really not the norm apparently.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It almost sounds like it would be to their benefit to not alienate and brutalize most communities and all minorities, if they are so dependent on their cooperation to do their jobs.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It almost sounds like it would be to their benefit to not alienate and brutalize most communities and all minorities, if they are so dependent on their cooperation to do their jobs.

:hmmyes:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

You can also do drugs while on the job, no problem!

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/JQpo7P/atalad-polis-far-behalla-jobbet

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

I will let this "insändare" in DN summarize my thoughts on the utter travesty that is my workplace (MTR Pendeltåg) right now:

https://www.dn.se/insandare/stoppa-mtrs-inforande-av-tag-som-kors-av-ensamma-forare/

I thought stationsvärdar were already long gone. My grandma whos basically blind in one eye and have really bad vision on her other eye got told "just take a cab instead" when she tried to call in advance to get help navigating the subway.

EDIT: It's also from her involvement in Synskadades Riksförbund that I know of poo poo like this.

quote:

Vilmer Bäckman är 21 år och blind. Trots att han har allvarliga svårigheter att resa med den allmänna kollektivtrafiken, och hans syncentral medgett att det i vissa fall är förenat med livsfara, har Region Stockholm nekat honom färdtjänsttillstånd.

Vilmer Bäckman överklagade avslaget till förvaltningsrätten. Förvaltningsrätten påstod att det inte var uteslutet att han skulle kunna lära sig alla sträckor utantill.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 10, 2023

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nye Borgerlige implosion continues, you love to see it. Now Lars Boje has been deposed and excluded from the party. :allears:

In other political deroute news, Mai Villadsen will be co-hosting a show with Messerschmidt on DK4. I was worried for a second there that EL couldn't possibly gently caress up any worse.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/lagradets-kritik-ignoreras-allt-oftare-forskaren-mojliggor-for-regering-som-inte-vill-demokratin-val

quote:

Om utvecklingen med politiker som allt oftare ignorerar Lagrådets kritik fortsätter riskerar Sveriges demokrati att hamna på djupt vatten. Det menar Patrik Bremdal, docent i konstitutionell rätt.

– Det möjliggör för en regering som inte vill demokratin eller rättsstaten väl.

De uppmärksammade fallen där regeringar i Sverige gått emot Lagrådets kritik inför en ny lagstiftning börjar bli allt fler. Bland exemplen finns undantaget för företaget Cementa att bryta kalk på Gotland, den så kallade gymnasielagen som gav vissa ensamkommande flyktingar tillfälligt uppehållstillstånd och nu senast lagen som gör deltagande i terrororganisationer straffbart.

– I de fall man pekat på allvarlig kritik så är det nästan hälften av fallen på senare tid där man inte följt Lagrådets kritik, säger Patrik Bremdal, docent i konstitutionell rätt vid Uppsala universitet, och fortsätter:

– Risken blir att vi kan få lagstiftning som strider mot vår grundlag, eller mot mänskliga rättigheter. Eller att vi får lagstiftning som lämnar över makten till domstolarna att fylla ut.

Framför allt är han kritisk till det som politiker gärna kallar för ”snabbspår” som han menar används för lättvindigt.

”Ungern är det klassiska exemplet”
– Om vi tillåter det här i normala fall, även om det inte är en kris som till exempel pandemin. Då finns risken att en senare regering kan nyttja det här spåret och definiera vad allmänintresse är på egen hand.

– Får vi då en illiberal regering som också har majoritet i riksdagen kan den snabbt köra igenom en massa lagstiftning som kanske inte är i linje med det vi kallar för en rättsstat eller en demokrati. Och det finns ju sådana exempel i Europa. Ungern är ju det klassiska exemplet som brukar tas upp, där det gått väldigt snabbt att få igenom en massa lagstiftning.

Lagrådet är mer försiktiga i hur de uttrycker sig, även om ledamoten, tillika justitierådet, Stefan Reimer även han säger att han ibland kan undra varför det ska gå så väldigt snabbt. Och det är också just tidsaspekten som han menar att Lagrådet oftast är kritiska till.

– När Lagrådet varit väldigt kritiskt har man ofta haft väldigt korta remisstider. Jag hörde någon som var en halv dag. Normalt sett är det kanske 2,5 månader eller ett par veckor i varje fall om det är lite mer brådskande lagförslag.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Nye Borgerlige implosion continues, you love to see it. Now Lars Boje has been deposed and excluded from the party. :allears:

In other political deroute news, Mai Villadsen will be co-hosting a show with Messerschmidt on DK4. I was worried for a second there that EL couldn't possibly gently caress up any worse.

I feel like she has really bad political instincts. She went to Støjberg's brother's farm a while back, where she could be portrayed as the out of touch big city politician, being taught how the real world works by the salt of the earth.

Imagine thinking "Debate me!" is a thing you should do with right wingers in 2023.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Kennel posted:

Actual science

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I don’t know the Odyssey happened that recently considering how long Karlskrona has been a thing that exists

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Teen Witch, are you ok?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i dont think asking if a poster who is the subject of some drama is doing alright in a more casual regional thread should be probed

rule II C 1 posted:

Don't post about posters. Arguments in D&D are meant to stand on their own rather than on the credibility of the posters who make them, because they are pseudonymous, and knowing forums lore should not be a requirement for participating in or understanding D&D. This rule is waived in cases where someone claims specific expertise in what they're talking about.
is clearly talking about posting about posters as a form of argument, which the post in question did not do

i dont think you intended anything bad but you seem a bit tactless sometimes

tempura to help make things nicer

Megamissen fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 11, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Megamissen posted:

i dont think asking if a poster who is the subject of some drama is doing alright in a more casual regional thread should be probed
What I'm probing is a specific goon (hint: rap sheet) plausibly looking for more drama, rather than a generic goon checking up on their posting buddy. Simply lacking the social skills to avoid keeping a subject of public consternation under a public spotlight is indeed not probatable.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What I'm probing is a specific goon (hint: rap sheet) plausibly looking for more drama, rather than a generic goon checking up on their posting buddy. Simply lacking the social skills to avoid keeping a subject of public consternation under a public spotlight is indeed not probatable.

No, I am actually concerned for her well-being as I suspect we all are.

I sent a PM now instead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 12, 2023

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/veolenes/status/1634489986903949312?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

The best optics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sylvi Listhaug is suddenly pro windmills. I wonder why.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

:laffo:

Yeah, that's a real mystery :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alhazred posted:

It's about loving the Sami over isn't it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

It's about loving the Sami over isn't it?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/AgnesWold/status/1635294214354530305

Eh what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol