Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
A lot of developers are coy about their inspirations, especially when it's something they're trying to mimic

meanwhile Remedy is like "hey we really love X-Files and the SCP Foundation, and we're really good at action games, so check this poo poo out lol" and "what if we gave Stephen King a gun?"

It even happens in reverse sometimes! They were nearly finished creating the first Max Payne when The Matrix came out. They realized that the bullet time mechanic they built would inevitably be compared to the effects in the Matrix.

But instead of changing it to distance themselves from accusations of "copying", they leaned into and added a bunch of direct Matrix homages to the game

Remedy rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Every time I see you pst that goddamn song gets stuck in my head for the next 20m

Lmao it is a good song

I have been thinking about retiring this av though. Maybe replace it with this guy:

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Maplestory is not fun to play but it is to look at

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

womb with a view posted:

Lmao it is a good song

I have been thinking about retiring this av though. Maybe replace it with this guy:

dunno who this dude(s) is but i like it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Control is cool because my husband, who is uh not great at action games, got to just turn on infinite health and still enjoy the games. Also he's a big Alan Wake fan and didn't realize this was made by the same people, so that was a fun surprise :haw:

Like seriously the dude does not understand the concept of dodging or blocking. Spiderman on PS4 was hilarious to watch because Spidey would just constantly get clocked in the side of the head every single time someone threw a punch

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
neither my 4yo son nor my 35yo wife understand run buttons in games. it's nuts. they're playing 2D side scrolling Mario games at a brisk walk and don't get why they keep barely making jumps

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Control is so insanely good. Really hoping Control 2 manages to deliver on the promises made at the end of the Control DLC, this could be a really cool universe if they play it right.

I'm nuts deep in my second playthrough of Disco Elysium rn but I'll probably get into Yakuza 0 once I'm done with that.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Im playing (modded) Final Fantasy Tactics again, it is a good game.

what mods? i didnt know there were any...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

prayer group posted:

Control is so insanely good. Really hoping Control 2 manages to deliver on the promises made at the end of the Control DLC, this could be a really cool universe if they play it right.

I'm nuts deep in my second playthrough of Disco Elysium rn but I'll probably get into Yakuza 0 once I'm done with that.

omg has there been a Control 2 announced???

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1591039948869828612?s=20

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

WarpDogs posted:

neither my 4yo son nor my 35yo wife understand run buttons in games. it's nuts. they're playing 2D side scrolling Mario games at a brisk walk and don't get why they keep barely making jumps

your son and wife see the truth: no game should ever have a run button
just have the player character always be running

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

what mods? i didnt know there were any...

There's a handful of revamps that rebalance the game and make a lot of the janky/bad abilities much more useful while also increasing the difficulty a fair bit. Some others that add in the jobs from the PSP remake, or custom stuff.

The one I'm playing is mostly the former, Laggy Fantasy Tactics. So far I've found it makes the weaker early job skill sets like knight, archer, wizard, oracle, etc. have reasons to use them longterm instead of just rushing through them to unlock the good stuff.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
at this stage i can only conclude that one of the admins is secretly turdiak

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

hype

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:pray:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I keep forgetting the unwieldy name, but there's a ski and snow board game on switch that is infectious. Grand mountains wonderland adventure or something along those lines. It has early windows ski free vibes, but with a lot of exploration and hidden treasures. Best part is a single button press instantly backs you up your track to redo the jump where you just yardsaled.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

people are saying it has ugly levels

others seem to have a problem with the setting, people seem to really prefer Japanese mythology to Chinese

I think the setting is super cool, just not so sure I want another game that is basically boring punishing combat. Let me learn secret daoist mystical techniques that let me pull my ballsack over my head as armor thank you.

Also regarding control, the genius of setting the first (so far) part of the game in a brutalist office building is genius. It’s so much better than the usual cliches. Also a great blend of funny but also genuinely menacing.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

while we're on the subject (and the train wifi started working again so i :justpost: ), i wish developers would explore other historical settings besides tokugawa shogunate-era japan, ancient greece, and viking iron age, when making games in historical settings. i know this stuff is what sells, but there's a lot of cool eras which could be explored so much better than a few assorted rear end creed games. gimme like early 90s taipei just after the transition to democracy or the age of migrations or the attack of the sea peoples or something. 9th century byzantium, anyone?

free ideas for game makers out there:

yakuza 0 but set in the holy roman empire circa mid-14th century, i suggest prague, you can hang out with rabbi ben loew and charlie the 4th, and instead of mr. shakedown you fight the golem.

control but set in elizabethan england where you hang out with john dee and use your "angelic powers" to gently caress up christopher marlowe in a tavern brawl.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

your son and wife see the truth: no game should ever have a run button
just have the player character always be running

Run buttons are good when they have a purpose, like platformers where you need to swap between speed and precision or games with a stamina bar where running will let you haul rear end away from a bad encounter but potentially leave you vulnerable when it runs out.

Problem is run buttons just became accepted as a thing that needs to be in every game whether it makes sense or not

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I like to make biscuits and gravy cuz it's a comfort food to me but got tired of paying for overpriced biscuits in a tin and decided to try making my own for the first time tonight. Turned out pretty good but I have got to find a better way to convert a stick of butter into bits for mixing in with the flour.

I've made bread a lot before but shy away from anything that needs butter/lamination cuz it's a big hassle, and for the biscuit dough, I wound up using a grater. but I probably should've let the butter sit in the freezer for a while before doing that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When making any kind of dough with butter layers you gotta fridge it until cold between basically every step if you want it to be as good as possible.

It's certainly a very time consuming process but if you have other things you can seamlessly switch to doing while it's fridging then it's fairly efficient. It's very worth it for biscuits, pie crusts, etc. but absolutely not for puff pastry.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
grater's the way i like to do it. it's worth putting the flour into the fridge before grating the butter into it as well.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

grater's the way i like to do it. it's worth putting the flour into the fridge before grating the butter into it as well.

yeah I thought about this after I'd already done it. I probably will next time. Everything still turned out nice, at least, so I'll probably do it again. better than spending $8 on lovely frozen biscuits

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Doesn't anyone use a food processor anymore? That's how I make biscuits and scones

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
yeah v cold butter with a grater or food processor with a grate attachment's the way to go. also good for pie crust.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Doesn't anyone use a food processor anymore? That's how I make biscuits and scones

The good ones are expensive!

So no most people don’t lol. People are generally cooking / baking less.

I’m officially moving today. I was going to hire a moving company for the bigger stuff but we really don’t have that much large furniture so I’m just going to do it myself.

I already regret this choice.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I will never move house on my own again.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Psycho Landlord posted:

That’s what you get for only having parasocial thread friendships, posters can’t help you move

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

That’s what I said last time! This time was a bit different because we’ve had like 3 weeks to slowly move stuff over and all that’s left is a few big pieces.

I regret my choice.

Spectrum gave me a free year of cell service for my tablet though so there’s that.

I guess they are running a deal if you upgrade your internet for free you also get a free year of cell service.

TheSwizzler posted:

That’s what you get for only having parasocial thread friendships, posters can’t help you move

True but I feel bad asking anyone to help now. I had people at work offer but we are all in our 40s 50s and it’s not the same anymore lol.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

this tbh. I even had friends offering to help (even from out of state) but I don't like putting that much labor on anyone. scraping together a grand and throwing it at a bunch of professionals was insanely worth it.

movers were insane too. they had badass carrying tricks and managed to get like 4-5 boxes every run.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I have a little one but I was worried there'd be too much friction and it would just melt the butter.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

That’s what I said last time! This time was a bit different because we’ve had like 3 weeks to slowly move stuff over and all that’s left is a few big pieces.

I regret my choice.

Spectrum gave me a free year of cell service for my tablet though so there’s that.

I guess they are running a deal if you upgrade your internet for free you also get a free year of cell service.

True but I feel bad asking anyone to help now. I had people at work offer but we are all in our 40s 50s and it’s not the same anymore lol.

i feel this post something fierce. my new posting wants me to move me and my wife to the other end of the country for "campus life", but my wife makes 3x more money (but works way more hours) than academics do so we're staying in Prague and going to tough it out a year or so until we can not only save more money, but also set some aside to hire movers.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheSwizzler posted:

I absolutely can, I just choose not to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

some plague rats posted:

I absolutely can, I just choose not to.

Sounds like witchcraft to me tbh

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Sounds like witchcraft to me tbh

imagine hating women this much

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

moving loving sucks. sorry friend

copy
Jul 26, 2007

some plague rats posted:

imagine hating women this much

'tis the season

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

We're facing a potential move cross-country and I have no idea where to even start. I love my family very dearly, but if I lived alone I'd sell everything in my house that couldn't fit in a single suitcase and just be done with it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WarpDogs posted:

We're facing a potential move cross-country and I have no idea where to even start. I love my family very dearly, but if I lived alone I'd sell everything in my house that couldn't fit in a single suitcase and just be done with it

There are like. shipping companies where if you pay them a lot of money they come to your house with a container and put everything in it and take it where you want it to go. I recommend it highly over trying to do it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

TheSwizzler posted:

lmfao

copy posted:

moving loving sucks. sorry friend

Oh I'm good now I'm well out of the moving every eight months stage of my life, I was just echoing Marcus' sentiment.

WarpDogs posted:

Cross country movers like SPR mentioned are a thing and are mostly pretty good. Just do a bit of research on who they partner with at the dropoff location, sometimes you can get a good crew on one end and a lovely one on the other. If you can afford it it is absolutely worth it though.

Psycho Landlord has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Mar 8, 2023