Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ad by Khad posted:

the only way NFTs across multiple games works is if some big publisher embraces the concept and mandates that yes this stupid gun from tom clancy's xyz is usable in assassin's creed 12, developers you must do this

this actually already happened when ubisoft did it and the fact that even THEY couldnt make it work proves pretty decisively that the idea sucks

I agree, but "even UBISOFT couldn't make it work" isn't the burn you think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I remember playing through Portal 2 co-op and noticing that a small handful of hats from TF2 worked in it. I can't imagine it changed anybody's life as the system never seems to have been updated to include any additional hats. There just really is no great use case for this.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Sardonik posted:

I remember playing through Portal 2 co-op and noticing that a small handful of hats from TF2 worked in it. I can't imagine it changed anybody's life as the system never seems to have been updated to include any additional hats. There just really is no great use case for this.

both games were made in the same engine by the same company, yet they only did a couple before :effort: set in and abandoned the whole feature

but surely now nfts are a thing every game developer will put it in every game and every engine and it will all be perfectly cross compatible because of blockchain

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

more falafel please posted:

I agree, but "even UBISOFT couldn't make it work" isn't the burn you think it is

The point is that Ubisoft have 14 identical game series within a single company and they still didn't make anything that applied to more than one game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hell, I'm pretty sure Nintendo managed to put in more effort and real utility with Amiibos.

Of course, the trick is I think Nintendo is well aware it's a cute gimmick. Hence why they didn't go all in on it like Skylanders and result in a massive crash and bargain bins at Gamestop.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ad by Khad posted:

the only way NFTs across multiple games works is if some big publisher embraces the concept and mandates that yes this stupid gun from tom clancy's xyz is usable in assassin's creed 12, developers you must do this
Hey now, Boktai (a vampire hunting western series) already did that with Megaman and shooting vampires with a hightech plasma gun was fun.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, I'm pretty sure Nintendo managed to put in more effort and real utility with Amiibos.

Of course, the trick is I think Nintendo is well aware it's a cute gimmick. Hence why they didn't go all in on it like Skylanders and result in a massive crash and bargain bins at Gamestop.

They also usually unlock things like costumes or decorative things inspired by the figure that fit in to the game, rather than some arbitrary asset having to be ported to a dozen different games

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Why would a game dev spend money making an NFT work cross platform on their project without a kick back. You would have to spend money to use your NFT in each game, it's just another hat.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Why would a game dev spend money making an NFT work cross platform on their project without a kick back. You would have to spend money to use your NFT in each game, it's just another hat.

Gamers just have to RISE UP and boycott any games without nfts obviously

*Insert modern warfare boycott steam group picture*

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So Joe rogan had that coffilizila guy on.

I wonder how this will affect the cyrpto bros

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Tunicate posted:

Hey now, Boktai (a vampire hunting western series) already did that with Megaman and shooting vampires with a hightech plasma gun was fun.

all these morons care about is who has ownership of the hightech plasma gun, not whether the gameplay is fun

did you pay someone money so that you could rent their privately owned plasma gun? of course not. this is the future they want.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

NFT bros don’t understand second-order effects. Hell, most of them seem to have trouble with first-order effects.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ad by Khad posted:

did you pay someone money so that you could rent their privately owned plasma gun? of course not. this is the future they want.

I mean. I rented one of the games from blockbuster, so yes.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Ups_rail posted:

So Joe rogan had that coffilizila guy on.

I wonder how this will affect the cyrpto bros

coffeezilla is ideologically very crypto friendly he has no firm commitments that the entire crypto field is entirely a scam, its just that he finds it easy to make content about crypto scams (for a good reason)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That article is good because it has a paragraph that sums up the core problem with NFTs that doesn't really get expressed enough:

quote:

Beneath the common complaints that they're environmentally costly and more or less stupid, I think NFTs inspire so much repulsion on social media because they seem to corrupt something that people actually do want. Sameness is everywhere in this era of mass production, and what started on assembly lines was near-perfected by computers, which can duplicate data near-instantly. From that perspective, the scarcity and uniqueness of NFTs might be seen as subversive: They're pushing against the current of history. It feels like something could be cool about that, somehow. But not thishow. While individual NFTs are unique, the obvious goal of corporations is to do what they always do and mass produce that uniqueness. The majority of NFTs are just another kind of mass-made plastic tchotchke, or commemorative gold coin like the ones sold on TV at 2 am. They contain nothing that's good about handmade, one-of-a-kind items; all they do is irradiate the concept with high-grade art collector snobbery and Beanie Baby-style financial speculation. What is a "Web3 fan" but a fan of buying and owning things? Isn't this about art?

Basically NFTs claim to be unique and collectable but they're really, really not and this is so obvious to anyone with a normally-functioning brain (and even lots of people who don't have normal brains) that it's offensive.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

coffeezilla is ideologically very crypto friendly he has no firm commitments that the entire crypto field is entirely a scam, its just that he finds it easy to make content about crypto scams (for a good reason)

Whenever he or KiraTV say this it's funny in a really sad way, because you can tell they're begging someone, anyone to make the bullshit worthless idea that is crypto do something useful. Which crypto will never be able to do because it was garbage from the start.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont think most would care about NFTs even if they were loving Mona Lisas instead of ugly procedurally generated poo poo

NFTs are a desperate way to reproduce the worst aspects of capitalism in environments were stuff can be freely duplicated. Is about ostentation and speculation, is not about art or fun or anything people are actually interested when they are playing videogames or even using twitter

Is about idiots wanting to look like the virtual version this on social networks

while exploiting third world people as wage slaves on some minecraft clone to mine NFT diamonds for them or something equally stupid

And nobody wants that but those idiots

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 8, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

I want to use my Call of Duty grenade launcher in Forza. Make it happen, block chain!

Play Split/Second then.

Salt Fish posted:

Taking a screenshot of an NFT to copy the art is exactly analogous to the analog hole:

... but enough about your mother.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 8, 2023

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Imagine if the billion randomly-generated guns in Borderlands were all NFTs, and all the lame guns you're likely to find are all worthless, and the actually-rare combo of good stats and all is ludicrously rare and expensive.

This would be terrible. And then somehow these guns would also be usable in Call of Duty and Fortnite and Last of Us and Mario Kart?

Or, like, look at Diablo 3, a real-world case where randomly-generated loot drops were also available to be sold for real money at the in-game cash auction house. Everyone hated this and it was patched out of the game, replaced with improving loot drop chances so you'd be more likely to actually get loot that you want.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So continuing my watch on this and occasional report back to the thread.

BBBY decline continues, it's now at 1.31.

1.25 is where things start to get spicy.

Under the terms of the deal Hudson is not obligated to offer up any more money past the original loan if it drops below that point. So if BBY burns through the initial 225million they're not getting any more of that billion dollars that were on offer.

Anybody pointing this out in R/BBBY is of course just spreading FUD.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HJE-Cobra posted:

Or, like, look at Diablo 3, a real-world case where randomly-generated loot drops were also available to be sold for real money at the in-game cash auction house. Everyone hated this and it was patched out of the game, replaced with improving loot drop chances so you'd be more likely to actually get loot that you want.

I for one am shocked that games are better without every move being gated by more cash infusions.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

all these morons care about is who has ownership of the hightech plasma gun, not whether the gameplay is fun

APB: Reloaded went this route after the developers managed to bankrupt themselves.

The free to play mechanics ruined what enjoyment (and player count) there was to be had in the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

nomad2020 posted:

APB: Reloaded went this route after the developers managed to bankrupt themselves.

The free to play mechanics ruined what enjoyment (and player count) there was to be had in the game.

The free to play mechanics weren't too obtrusive, what annihilated the game was the absolute lack of new content and the flood of hackers that they never managed to do anything about.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

So continuing my watch on this and occasional report back to the thread.

BBBY decline continues, it's now at 1.31.

1.25 is where things start to get spicy.

Under the terms of the deal Hudson is not obligated to offer up any more money past the original loan if it drops below that point. So if BBY burns through the initial 225million they're not getting any more of that billion dollars that were on offer.

Anybody pointing this out in R/BBBY is of course just spreading FUD.

So to be clear, does r/BBBY accept that the Hudson Bay deal is a real thing that exists in reality, because it staved off bankruptcy and that's Good? Or do they reject the reality that is the Hudson deal, because the deal is structured such that 1) it basically prevents the price from ever going "up", let alone "to the moon" and 2) is on the verge of evaporating?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There's a goddamn boatload of opinion and speculation of course.

I'd say generally there isn't that much rejection of reality about the massively reported thing that's really happened but the stock will shoot up any day now due to *Reasons*. So be sure to buy and HODL some more!

However there definitely are reoccurring threads of "No, no, HB didn't really invest. It's all just a front for x" which inevitably immediately segue into either this means the stock is about to go straight to the moon, or this is all part of a dirty trick by 'The hedgies' to steal our moon money!

With the former more common of course.

As to the reality of the deal kneecapping any significant valuation gains short of an actual miracle.

Lol, no of course not. That's FUD talk which gets stomped on immediately.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 8, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
silvergate couldn't survive the bank run and is wrapping up operations

a stark lesson in liability matching and liquidity. doesn't matter if your assets are solid treasuries if your liabilities are speculative ape coins that may see all of your depositors running for the exit at the same time as generational interest rate hikes

drk
Jan 16, 2005
might as well link the actual source: https://ir.silvergate.com/news/news...nk/default.aspx

Silvergate Capital Corporation Announces Intent to Wind Down Operations and Voluntarily Liquidate Silvergate Bank

quote:

LA JOLLA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Silvergate Capital Corporation (“Silvergate” or “Company”) (NYSE:SI), the holding company for Silvergate Bank (“Bank”), today announced its intent to wind down operations and voluntarily liquidate the Bank in an orderly manner and in accordance with applicable regulatory processes.

In light of recent industry and regulatory developments, Silvergate believes that an orderly wind down of Bank operations and a voluntary liquidation of the Bank is the best path forward. The Bank’s wind down and liquidation plan includes full repayment of all deposits. The Company is also considering how best to resolve claims and preserve the residual value of its assets, including its proprietary technology and tax assets.

:rip:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Silvergate is now Goldenpants. Because they pissed everything down their leg.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Silvergate is now Goldenpants. Because they pissed everything down their leg.

They need to do an exposé on whose MBA intern failson convinced a bank safely existing since 1988 to suddenly Leeroy Jenkins themselves into crypto.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 9, 2023

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Russian posted:

They need to do an exposé on whose MBA intern failson convinced a bank safely existing since 1988 to suddenly Leeroy Jenkins themselves into crypto.

The proposal was called YOLO and matt daimon thinks your a pussy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

big black turnout posted:

Gamers just have to RISE UP and boycott any games without nfts obviously

*Insert modern warfare boycott steam group picture*

They genuinely believe this will happen is the funny thing, you ask them why publishers would do this when they have little to gain and they insist 'consumers will demand it'

Like lol in this industry where publishers constantly abandon entire genres and franchises that consumers are begging for, for no real reason

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They genuinely believe this will happen is the funny thing, you ask them why publishers would do this when they have little to gain and they insist 'consumers will demand it'

By "consumers" they're meaning loudmouthed crypto MLMer types, which they imagine is the future for practically all of America etc.'s youth. (Every no-coiner "FUDster", they imagine, will either end up a crypto convert or die alone in poverty).

zone
Dec 6, 2016

BigBadSteve posted:

By "consumers" they're meaning loudmouthed crypto MLMer types, which they imagine is the future for practically all of America etc.'s youth. (Every no-coiner "FUDster", they imagine, will either end up a crypto convert or die alone in poverty).

Judging by the kind of Ls crypto has been taking lately, it seems very likely that the cryptobros and NFT idiots are going to be the ones that end up in poverty. It's your fault if you fell for the world's most obvious ponzi scheme thinking someone else would hold the bag for you. And if you want to collect stuff to invest in, I'd rather try my luck in things like Pokemon or Magic cards, which still hold their value. Sucks to be the guys who thought it'd be a fast ticket to easy wealth, and invested everything they had, though.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
There has to be some kind of overlap, because by and large gamers hated NFTs, they didn't see the appeal of yet another monetization strategy on top of the current lootbox craze, and they didn't like how expensive graphics cards had gotten. But at the same time, the entire meme stock craze started around Gamestop. And people keep trying to make NFT games, trying force a round peg into a square hole.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

There has to be some kind of overlap, because by and large gamers hated NFTs, they didn't see the appeal of yet another monetization strategy on top of the current lootbox craze, and they didn't like how expensive graphics cards had gotten. But at the same time, the entire meme stock craze started around Gamestop. And people keep trying to make NFT games, trying force a round peg into a square hole.

after game stop they focused on bed bath and beyond, I don't think it was about the games, it was picking some dying company and hoping to get rich off of mumble mumble

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah gamers both generally hated GameStop for years and understood perfectly well why the company is doomed because they interact directly with the industry, for the stonk cultists it's all cargo cult

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Boxturret posted:

after game stop they focused on bed bath and beyond, I don't think it was about the games, it was picking some dying company and hoping to get rich off of mumble mumble

I remember laughing my rear end off when I found out about the bed, bath, and beyond craze. They absolutely went crazy over it too, like Charlie did over Pepe Silvia.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The crypto-bros I've encountered have all had extremely "gamified" beliefs, where they think everything in the world operates on simplified game mechanics.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

It's probably quite simply the case that a decent proportion of people involved - who are gamers too - don't actually believe in the technology, or what point of view they're espousing, but they very much believe in doing so if they stand to profit from it significantly.

There will be loads of people - probably the majority of people really - who can't explain what a blockchain is, how it works, what it does, or articulate why that is apparently good or revolutionary, beyond the talking points they've memorised. Having a surface level understanding is only relevant if/when you're trying to convince others to get involved, and that doesn't take much if those people too are primed to throw money at something that "will 100x soon trust me bro".

Same goes for GME, AMC, BBBY et al.. people piled in and parrot the whole "hedgie shorts r fuk" without any understanding at all of what those words even mean, even if they were in English instead of the bollocky wank you see on WSB and in crypto circles.. ser when moon frens. gently caress! Anyway, hardly anyone involved actually earnestly gives a poo poo about GameStop, really, beyond the possibility that it might make them rich if they HODL. Same goes for BBBY, all these "we just love the stock" cretins probably haven't been in a Bed, Bath and Beyond store for years, if ever, which should tell them something if they didn't have a vested interest in not knowing.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Speaking of gamification, I got cold contacted by this company called Syncfab to become a supplier for their manufacturing service(I manage a machine shop).

Turns out, it's some crypto bullshit take on parts sourcing, and everything that describes it smells like investor bait for dupes.

https://syncfab.com/2021-review-2022-outlook/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rad Russian posted:

Alan Lane, the current CEO.