Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

A.o.D. posted:

If this happens it'll be a lot worse than any previous military boondoggle the US has been mired in. For one thing the people being abused will be able to walk to where the ones responsible live. For another, I do believe that there would be some minds on the right dreaming up an Ultimate Answer to the Mexican Conundrum.

It's the hunt for Pancho Villa, mk II, and would probably be just as dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Entering Clancychat, on the flip side we'll finally get to see how well Chinese MANPADS and anti-tank weapons work once they start flooding them to the cartels.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
We could call it a War on Drug Gangs. Theres no way we will be able to lose

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yes, attempting a military occupation of your neighbor has always gone well, just ask Russia

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Graham has such a hardon for killing brown people. And I would say its some kind of cover act for his homosexuality but, honestly, I think he's just a racist gently caress from South Carolina who also happens to be closeted with an open door.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I haven't read anything on it, but why is the cartel kidnapping Americans on vacation significant this time? Doesn't the state department usually post warnings of "Hey if you're traveling to mexico, we have limited ways to help you and don't travel to these specific parts because it's real bad."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Defenestrategy posted:

I haven't read anything on it, but why is the cartel kidnapping Americans on vacation significant this time? Doesn't the state department usually post warnings of "Hey if you're traveling to mexico, we have limited ways to help you and don't travel to these specific parts because it's real bad."

Because propaganda works. At this time it's a convenient narrative for the right wing hate-o-sphere, so they're blasting it into the minds of tens of millions of people and now we all have to talk about it.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Defenestrategy posted:

I always thought that to be the case as well.

My wife says that all of Mexico is dangerous. Most of her family is still living in South West Mexico, two of her uncles have been kidnapped for ransom. Her family never gets specific regarding threats and/or how things went down, so I never know if it's bad security practices, luck, or they are being specifically targeted. Hopefully I will be visiting late this year, so I might get some better insight.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Defenestrategy posted:

This one is a little more brutal than typical, apparently they may have mistaken the group for somebody else because they lit up the van first then grabbed two folks and ran off. I've seen some speculation that they thought they were a Haitian gang. It also happened not very far away from the border, rather than deeper into the interior. Normally with a kidnapping there's a lot less violence and there's a ransom negotiation that starts much sooner than this time. It's legitimately a really lovely thing that people shouldn't have to worry about, and the whole Matamoros area on both sides of the border has gotten consistently poo poo on from a great height by both governments. I just don't think deploying US troops would help with that much.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Notahippie posted:

It's the hunt for Pancho Villa, mk II, and would probably be just as dumb.

It would be really funny if cormac mccarthy goes down and goes missing like bierce

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am certainly not in favor of military intervention but the cartels are shockingly horrible. I cannot imagine US military deployment in Mexico not being a complete shitshow for everyone involved, but if you could do it without turning it into Middle East 2 those fuckers would richly deserve it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Cool Dad posted:

I am certainly not in favor of military intervention but the cartels are shockingly horrible. I cannot imagine US military deployment in Mexico not being a complete shitshow for everyone involved, but if you could do it without turning it into Middle East 2 those fuckers would richly deserve it.

So we drum up more bilateral training with our Mexican counterparts and provide funding (with strings and oversight) to stand up more anti cartel task force operations.

Why would we put US boots on Mexican soil without it being a part of training we’d been invited to?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
At least the Mexican sociopaths are honest about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
a bunch of heavily armed, out of control murderers vs the cartels

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I cannot see US forces in Mexico ending well. We've done far too many interventions in South America that have rarely, if ever, ended well for both the people there and us.

Demanding we invade and send in the troops is just the only thing people like Graham and the GOP know how to do. They don't take responsibility for actually solving or dealing with the problems. Just send guys with guns. What's Statecraft?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We couldn’t even send troops to our own border without it turning into a boondoggle.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

CommieGIR posted:

I cannot see US forces in Mexico ending well. We've done far too many interventions in South America that have rarely, if ever, ended well for both the people there and us.

Demanding we invade and send in the troops is just the only thing people like Graham and the GOP know how to do. They don't take responsibility for actually solving or dealing with the problems. Just send guys with guns. What's Statecraft?

God forbid we let them have some of the Colorado river so that farming is a reasonable livelihood in northern Mexico again.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
Military support to Mexico to counter the cartels doesn't seem like a bad idea on paper. Increasing logistic, training, and intelligence support could go a long way. Even placing advisors in a limited capacity could be done to great effect. But there should be ZERO unilateral US military intervention in Mexico.

The best way to do it is to have a 100% Mexican face on it, if they even want it. Anything done needs to ensure it does not compromise the sovereignty of Mexico. If we come up with fully fleshed out target packets for a raid or strike, it's the Mexican forces deciding whether or not to conduct the operation. If there is a raid, it is Mexican forces conducting the raid. If there is a success due to American support, the Mexicans take all the credit. If a new unit is stood up, it is not outside of the Mexican chain of command in any way shape or form, it is absolutely underneath the Mexican military or national law enforcement. If asked what the US military/gov is doing in Mexico, we give a generic answer of providing support as requested or something. We do not need to create Mexican death squads outside of their chain of command, it does not work and those guys are liable to go rouge when they decide working under the thumb of Americans isn't in their best interests.

Unfortunately if it does happen, it will be done in the most ham fisted way. Politicians will try to brag about all the successes US forces have had from their legislation. Or we'll support a death squad that then breaks bad and fills the vacuum they helped create. Or we'll do a drone campaign with zero support from the Mexican government.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1633582936653025280

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1633571083994406912

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1633563262171111424

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Coasterphreak posted:

God forbid we let them have some of the Colorado river so that farming is a reasonable livelihood in northern Mexico again.

I've never heard about this. Any more info?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've never heard about this. Any more info?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/21/the-lost-river-mexicans-fight-for-mighty-waterway-taken-by-the-us

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Too many Americans fail to realize just how powerful and brutal the Cartels are. Some of them have ISIL levels of control in areas, and the same brutality of being children raised into war.

Not only that, but some of them are equipped Near Peer levels of tech and individual equipment- poo poo like body worn jammers/ECW, NODs, and armament. They have drones, and their own secure C2 elements. It was just a but ago that the Mexican Government shut down an encrypted and private cell network.

It would be like GWOT but worse, with more casualties.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i remember getting laughed out of GBS years ago for saying that the cartels were well on their way to becoming as bad or worse than middle eastern terrorist organizations. well who's laughing now, fuckers? :smug:

god i wish i hadn't been right. :smith:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I in no way want to imply that I think it's a good idea for the US to send soldiers to Mexico. I absolutely think that we will though eventually. There are brown people there who are bothering white people, after all.

The problem I see with just supporting Mexico is that I'm pretty sure that if that was going to happen we'd already be doing that. I don't know how powerful the cartels are politically or how much influence they have in the Mexican government, but I suspect that between having a lot of money and being terrifying it's probably a lot.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Perhaps there could be a school to teach Central and South American military officers to effectively counter cartel activities. I'm not sure what this school would be called, but maybe that would help and not create conditions that lead to this sort of problem again in the future

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The only thing the US could do that would noticeably impact cartel violence is ending prohibition.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Just my dumb opinion and observation, we're never gonna see the 82nd jumping into Mexico or anything like that and the cartels have been light years ahead of any middle east terrorist organizations in terms of violence, torture, etc for a very long time.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I saw the first tweet and thought it was about the cop city protests in Atlanta

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

Perhaps there could be a school to teach Central and South American military officers to effectively counter cartel activities. I'm not sure what this school would be called, but maybe that would help and not create conditions that lead to this sort of problem again in the future

This could work if those governments were sympathetic to our position. We might have to.... influence some presidents to ensure their cooperation.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Oh now hear me out, we could sell RUSSIA weapons in their conflict against Ukraine to fund counter cartel activity!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hekk posted:

So we drum up more bilateral training with our Mexican counterparts and provide funding (with strings and oversight) to stand up more anti cartel task force operations.

Why would we put US boots on Mexican soil without it being a part of training we’d been invited to?

Because we're out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
New conspiracy theory: Putin is using his American politicians to steer America into a war with Mexico so America stops helping Ukraine.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Goddamit can we invade someplace cold and snowy for once? I'm tired of heat.
And Operation Pancho Villa Expedition 2.0 is such an incredibly stupid idea, that it scares me that it very well could happen with the way this timeline has been going for the past 20 years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Zimmermann Telegram but Mexico accepts. 😈

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Goddamit can we invade someplace cold and snowy for once? I'm tired of heat.

Canada would like to formally object to this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

New conspiracy theory: Putin is using his American politicians to steer America into a war with Mexico so America stops helping Ukraine.

As much as I'd object to a war in Mexico, I suspect we'd be able to supply both.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Kazinsal posted:

Canada would like to formally object to this
American invasion of Canada, round 3. Canada does have a good amount of sweet, sweet crude right? Sooo

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 9, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

American invasion of Canada, round 3. Canada does have a good amount of sweet, sweet crude right? Sooo

Jokes on the people who wanted to get away from the desert for their next deployment, it's all in tar-soaked sands with a wildly swinging climate!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Nah it’s really loving sour actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You’re supposed to boil it after it comes out the tap