Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That was my read at the time, a recent rewatch was less fun. Need to really have a lot of nostalgia for the aesthetic and a deep love of trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

That's Modern Vampires (1998).

Surprisingly emotional performance by Craig Ferguson of all people.

Thanks. Yeah it looks worse than I remember.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I found this Jeff Goldblum horror movie I thought I never heard of called Hideaway and in the beginning of the movie, some kid stabbed himself in the chest with a knife and I was like ah man, I totally remember this happening in some other movie, but I forgot the name.

Turned out, it was the same forgettable movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ruddiger posted:

I found this Jeff Goldblum horror movie I thought I never heard of called Hideaway and in the beginning of the movie, some kid stabbed himself in the chest with a knife and I was like ah man, I totally remember this happening in some other movie, but I forgot the name.

This kind of reminds me of the weirdness around the Uncle Fester plot in the first Addams Family movie.

"Gomez's brother is missing. This random guy looks exactly like him, so we'll pretend that's him!

Oh, poo poo, that IS him after all."

Usually when some doppelganger is set up to deceive someone, they're just that; a doppelganger, and then you have to do the whole" which one's the real one?" But no, it was just the literal guy himself with amnesia. :shrug:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

ruddiger posted:

Thank you for posting this, I was trying to remember the title of this film the other day but found it to generic to even remember or describe

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
So a movie I’ve always debated whether I actually saw it or imagined it: the main thing I remember was a woman trying to find a kid (hers?) and he is with this couple for some reason. Anyways, turns out the couple are some weird crazy torture dungeon people that make tapes so the woman kills them and calls the police.

May have starred Chrisitan Slater, may have had a scene on a hockey rink with the stadium lights off so it was spooky

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mexi posted:

So a movie I’ve always debated whether I actually saw it or imagined it: the main thing I remember was a woman trying to find a kid (hers?) and he is with this couple for some reason. Anyways, turns out the couple are some weird crazy torture dungeon people that make tapes so the woman kills them and calls the police.

May have starred Chrisitan Slater, may have had a scene on a hockey rink with the stadium lights off so it was spooky

Oh poo poo no that’s real. I don’t remember the movie but probably the reason you think you’ve imagined it is that it’s like a weird vignette that has very little to do with the rest of the plot

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Running Scared, 2006, with Paul Walker. The whole film has a twisted, abstract fairy tale aspect to it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

ynohtna posted:

Running Scared, 2006, with Paul Walker. The whole film has a twisted, abstract fairy tale aspect to it.

I love it when movies are old enough that you can read the Roger Ebert review:

Roger Ebert posted:

Speaking of movies that go over the top, "Running Scared" goes so far over the top, it circumnavigates the top and doubles back on itself; it's the Mobius Strip of over-the-topness. I am in awe. It throws in everything but the kitchen sink. Then it throws in the kitchen sink, too, and the combo washer-dryer in the laundry room, while the hero and his wife are having sex on top of it.

I never tire of quoting the French director Truffaut, who said that he was interested only in movies that were about the agony of making cinema or the ecstasy of making cinema. "Running Scared" eliminates the middle man. It's not even about making cinema. It's just about the agony and the ecstasy.

The movie stars Paul Walker. You won't catch him acting in "Running Scared." The movie never slows down enough. He simply behaves, at an alarming velocity. After an opening flash-forward that features a car crash, the movie flashes back to a drug deal that goes bad. All the crooked cops and drug dealers in the room are killed, except for Joey Gazelle (Walker) and a guy who tells him to take all of the guns and lose them. Actually, maybe some other guys survived, too. This is the kind of movie where the next scene starts before the body count.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, that part in Running Scared is absolutely chilling, and it sticks with you, or at least to me. Like it's clearly implied or directly stated that they've done this before, so you've got a trail of dead kids from that couple, and how close they came to having another victim. :smith:

I can put up with a lot of poo poo in movies, but that specific scene pushed that movie too far, for me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, that part in Running Scared is absolutely chilling, and it sticks with you, or at least to me. Like it's clearly implied or directly stated that they've done this before, so you've got a trail of dead kids from that couple, and how close they came to having another victim. :smith:

I can put up with a lot of poo poo in movies, but that specific scene pushed that movie too far, for me.

So I got to the end of this post until I figured out you weren't all talking about the not-very-good Billy Crystal 1985 Running Scared.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

ynohtna posted:

Hell yeah, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Torquemada posted:

So I got to the end of this post until I figured out you weren't all talking about the not-very-good Billy Crystal 1985 Running Scared.

Ha, yeah, I didn't know about that movie until I was trying to look something up about the Paul Walker one and was pleasantly surprised (PW'S movie isn't pleasant whatsoever).

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
I'm looking for a movie from the 90s or early 2000s that has a mechanical cat with a smiling man's face projected on it. He's threatening to eat a girl. There's also a point where there's a song and puppet ladies coming out of boxes and they're singing as they give the main character a costume change.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Big Whoop posted:

I'm looking for a movie from the 90s or early 2000s that has a mechanical cat with a smiling man's face projected on it. He's threatening to eat a girl. There's also a point where there's a song and puppet ladies coming out of boxes and they're singing as they give the main character a costume change.

Mirrormask

https://youtu.be/re-6eOhrejE

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
2010s/2020s horror movie starts with a man killing a woman. cuts to another woman, an art dealer (with a scene focused on a statue of the fates that got stolen), getting ready to go on a weekend retreat to the guy's cabin (i feel like he keeps calling it that even though it's a nice house). she's kind of pointedly ignoring red flags on the way (including, i believe, an actual shot of a red flag waving). gets there, starts seeing a blonde ghost who she thinks is a woman trying to break in. guy has the stolen statue but claims it's a reproduction. i think that's enough to go on, but i do remember more that I'd feel obligated to put in spoiler tags which I'm too lazy to do from my phone.

iirc, movie actually has three labeled acts with scene transitions, and definitely uses the fates throughout. younger director, p sure it was an indie flick. go.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

2010s/2020s horror movie starts with a man killing a woman. cuts to another woman, an art dealer (with a scene focused on a statue of the fates that got stolen), getting ready to go on a weekend retreat to the guy's cabin (i feel like he keeps calling it that even though it's a nice house). she's kind of pointedly ignoring red flags on the way (including, i believe, an actual shot of a red flag waving). gets there, starts seeing a blonde ghost who she thinks is a woman trying to break in. guy has the stolen statue but claims it's a reproduction. i think that's enough to go on, but i do remember more that I'd feel obligated to put in spoiler tags which I'm too lazy to do from my phone.

iirc, movie actually has three labeled acts with scene transitions, and definitely uses the fates throughout. younger director, p sure it was an indie flick. go.
google suggests it's A Wounded Fawn (2022)

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Martman posted:

google suggests it's A Wounded Fawn (2022)

yoink. that's the one. DST sleep impairment ruined my Google powers

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

hey thanks for this!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Google and Wikipedia failing me.

Memory from childhood: Sci fi movie, possibly TV movie or series pilot, live-action, 60s - 80s. Space ship crashes on an airless planet or moon. Another ship comes to their rescue. Survivors are afraid rescuer may be Soviet. Rescuer removes helmet, survivors relieved/surprised that the rescuer is Japanese.

Plot may include relativity time-shenanigans or a loop?

I thought the scenes were from The Green Slime, but nope, weren't in the movie when I rewatched it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failson posted:

Google and Wikipedia failing me.

Memory from childhood: Sci fi movie, possibly TV movie or series pilot, live-action, 60s - 80s. Space ship crashes on an airless planet or moon. Another ship comes to their rescue. Survivors are afraid rescuer may be Soviet. Rescuer removes helmet, survivors relieved/surprised that the rescuer is Japanese.

Plot may include relativity time-shenanigans or a loop?

I thought the scenes were from The Green Slime, but nope, weren't in the movie when I rewatched it.

With that kind of stinger I would say it was an episode of The Outer Limits or The Twilight Zone.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
trying to find the gif from a show where kid and mom in a car are crying because an apocalyptic amount of meteors are crashing down in a very clearly greenscreened bg while the dad driving just laughs

could have sworn it was from Lexx but nothing I search helps

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

trying to find the gif from a show where kid and mom in a car are crying because an apocalyptic amount of meteors are crashing down in a very clearly greenscreened bg while the dad driving just laughs

could have sworn it was from Lexx but nothing I search helps

It's from the Lexx episode S04E04 "Stan Down", I've timestamped it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BDGlzaZ_Dc&t=1180s

https://i.imgur.com/6MjbB3Q.mp4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 18, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's from the Lexx episode S04E04 "Stan Down", I've timestamped it in this video:

thank you kindly

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That show wasn't perfect, but gently caress me if it wasn't amazing how they'd constantly take the biggest, weirdest swing whenever they could.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

With that kind of stinger I would say it was an episode of The Outer Limits or The Twilight Zone.

I would agree, but it was in color, seemed to have a budget, and we didn't have cable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Failson posted:

I would agree, but it was in color, seemed to have a budget, and we didn't have cable.

The 90s Outer Limits was, I believe, syndicated, so you might've caught that?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Does anyone know what film scene where a character say something like “then you’re no use to me!“? It may be goldmember, but I can’t find that clip anywhere.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

therattle posted:

Does anyone know what film scene where a character say something like “then you’re no use to me!“? It may be goldmember, but I can’t find that clip anywhere.
Never seen Goldmember but the first thing I thought of was the bit in Payback where Mel Gibson asks the guy who double-crossed him if he has a light, the guy replies "no" and Gibson says "then what good are you?" and shoots him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqQk2ZNnLP4

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Funny but not that!

Pilchenstein posted:

Never seen Goldmember but the first thing I thought of was the bit in Payback where Mel Gibson asks the guy who double-crossed him if he has a light, the guy replies "no" and Gibson says "then what good are you?" and shoots him.

Hmm. Don’t think so but thanks. It is in my head as a comedy. Maybe I imagined it…

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

therattle posted:

Hitman?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2cb5c8d6-7f59-4a27-8838-f35ae45e8616

But it seems like a common trope; the bad guy tries to get something out of a heroic ally or someone, they refuse, then the villain says "then you're no use to me"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

Hitman?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2cb5c8d6-7f59-4a27-8838-f35ae45e8616

But it seems like a common trope; the bad guy tries to get something out of a heroic ally or someone, they refuse, then the villain says "then you're no use to me"

Never seen it. May have been “then you’re no good to me”, but perhaps it’s imagined.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

therattle posted:

Maybe Get Shorty when delroy lindo offered to help Travolta

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Maybe Get Shorty when delroy lindo offered to help Travolta

Huh. Maybe. Thanks!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

therattle posted:

There's a scene in Snatch when Bricktop says something similar to someone.

"Turkish : I can't make him fight, can I?

Brick Top : You're not much good to me alive, are you, Turkish?"

yaffle fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 20, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

therattle posted:

I think Transporter had a scene like that

A Maze of Clouds
Sep 15, 2022
A scene from a black and white movie. Man 1 is hiding under a table. Man 2 and 3 are sitting on chairs by the table, along with other people.

Man 2 puts his hand on the shoulder of Man 1. Man 1 quickly puts his hand on the knee of Man 2, so Man 2 thinks he is touching his own knee.

Man 3 puts his hand on the other shoulder of Man 1. Man 1 quickly puts his other hand on the knee of Man 3, so Man 3 thinks he is touching his own knee.

Man 2 and 3 begins scratching and tapping (respectively) the shoulders of man 1. Man 1 has to scratch or tap the knees of Man 2 and 3.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sounds like Marx Brothers shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

A Maze of Clouds posted:

A scene from a black and white movie. Man 1 is hiding under a table. Man 2 and 3 are sitting on chairs by the table, along with other people.

Man 2 puts his hand on the shoulder of Man 1. Man 1 quickly puts his hand on the knee of Man 2, so Man 2 thinks he is touching his own knee.

Man 3 puts his hand on the other shoulder of Man 1. Man 1 quickly puts his other hand on the knee of Man 3, so Man 3 thinks he is touching his own knee.

Man 2 and 3 begins scratching and tapping (respectively) the shoulders of man 1. Man 1 has to scratch or tap the knees of Man 2 and 3.

There's a scene like that in "Knock On Wood" with Danny Kaye, but it's in color.

EDIT: This lovely filmed-off-a-tv-or-movie-screen is the only clip I could find:

https://www.facebook.com/theplacetobefordannykaye/videos/knock-on-wood-hands-under-the-table/1057469178011906/

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 21, 2023