Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ilmucche posted:

Assassin's creed Odyssey is pretty fun so far but there is a LOT going on with the combat system. Parry being two buttons, one of which is bound to the same button as attack, is really messing with me.

How many pieces of gear are in this game because it's already looking like it's going to be warhammer style 40 types of gear with 60 different emblems I can put on each one, for 5% differences in damage

Yeah, I think it's a great game but it has its issues. Parrying is weird compared to a dedicated button, but I was able to get used to it eventually. The amount of gear and weapons you pile up and choose between is a bigger issue for me - I mostly end up just going through occasionally and equipping the current best armor and top couple weapon types while ignoring upgrades and modifiers, it feels like newer and more powerful stuff cycles in so frequently that I can't be bothered to put any time into customization. At least for the armor, you can eventually just use the look of any items you've ever picked up regardless of what's currently equipped, so you're no longer switching outfits every five minutes based on whatever random doodads you picked up off the last people you killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Any game that throws buckets of gear at you should have an auto equip feature which just slaps on all your best stuff.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

AC: Odyssey overcomes a lot of it's bad systems by having the absolute best protagonist of the series.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

kazil posted:

AC: Odyssey overcomes a lot of it's bad systems by having the absolute best protagonist of the series.

I didn't realize Bayek made a cameo in Oddessy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hector Delgado posted:

I didn't realize Bayek made a cameo in Oddessy

Malaka!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't know how much I would've liked Odyssey if I hadn't played it during lockdown because it's insanely overstuffed, but it all kinda works to make a really fun, if loving huge game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Any game that throws buckets of gear at you should have an auto equip feature which just slaps on all your best stuff.

But what is better, +0.3% chance of crits or 1-2 more base damage, or 6% cooldown reduction on your dodge roll??????????????? Better not assume anything and let the Player Decide

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh, it's real alright. A real lovely movie.

Interestingly enough it was just called The Eye Creatures (and was made for TV apparently), so Best Brains apparently got hold of some repackaging where someone tried to give it a punchier title, and, well…

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Interestingly enough it was just called The Eye Creatures (and was made for TV apparently), so Best Brains apparently got hold of some repackaging where someone tried to give it a punchier title, and, well…

Oh wow, I must've read that at some point but forgotten it along the way. So the answer to "is it real or is it a photoshop" is basically "yes", in its own weird way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well a lot of old b movies would get repackaged like that to try and make some more money off of them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got to Tibet in Tomb Raider 2 and WOW am I glad those sunken ship levels are over. They kind of sucked and went on for far too long, then just petered out pathetically by having the final room just be a tiny shed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kazil posted:

Just don't play Legacy of the First Blade, under any circumstances.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

muscles like this! posted:

The outside parts of Atomic Heart have a problem where they have way too many respawning enemies. Either flying guys repair dead ones or new ones get dropped in. Which sucks because the gameplay really isn't balanced for something like that.

Yeah this respawning enemies crap is super obnoxious. Fortunately I think there's a feature/bug where enemies that are stealth killed or vaporized with the rail gun don't respawn. I've been overloading the hawk and going around giving disabled enemies a single whack with a melee weapon from behind then stealth killing them to get them to go away. So far the enemies that I took care of this way haven't come back.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tunicate posted:

But what is better, +0.3% chance of crits or 1-2 more base damage, or 6% cooldown reduction on your dodge roll??????????????? Better not assume anything and let the Player Decide

that and the fact that the damage numbers getting big is so weird to me because the enemies scale. none of this poo poo matters. my character never feels like they're getting stronger or more effective, the scaling system only leads to me feeling like my character can fall behind.

Cythereal posted:

Just don't play Legacy of the First Blade, under any circumstances.

I've only heard bad stuff about it. are the missions at least fun despite the story being poo poo?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I skipped that DLC and I don't even feel like I missed anything. The game's just so huge already. By the time I got through the main game and the Atlantis DLC, I'd had way more than enough Odyssey to last a while.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The new remaster of Like A Dragon: Isshin (aka: one of those samurai Yakuza games we never got) is mostly pretty faithful to the original game relative to the remakes of Yakuza 1/2 but one thing they really should have fixed imo is th that there’s four fighting styles (fist, sword, gun, dual wielding a sword/gun) but no weapon for the fists, whereas there’s a wholeass upgrade tree system for the sword/gun/special weapons, and gauntlets as an armor type already you could rework to pull double duty as fist offense.

Speaking of special weapons, you can spend points in your mini-sphere grid for each style to unlock special weapons, like a giant sword or a portable cannon…that won’t let you earn style experience while using them. I guess I should at least be grateful 0/Kiwami 1 realized how lame that is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Team Ninja's Souls style series Nioh is the absolute worst about this poo poo. In Dark Souls you can find like 30 different straight swords and, well, they don't all feel super unique but there's a good deal of variety to be had. In Nioh you'll find, I dunno, literally a thousand katanas and they'll all feel exactly the same. Apparently their new Three Kingdoms Sekiro-style game also does this. Bleh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ilmucche posted:

I've only heard bad stuff about it. are the missions at least fun despite the story being poo poo?

Yeah it's fine, I mean it's more Odyssey so if you want that. I found myself far more exhausted by the other DLC and all the stuff it introduced.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ilmucche posted:

The missions are fun but if you're playing as Kassandra the story is insulting and offensive.

It's worth going through at least, for the new upgrades you'll get to your ship.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure I'll ever get through the Atlantis dlc for Odyssey, as it keeps going and never stops. Which is pretty much Odyssey in a nutshell, which is a game that doesn't know when to stop.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Definitely. I love that game to bits, but boy do you do a lot of "do the three things to get access to a new series of three things to do".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Philippe posted:

Definitely. I love that game to bits, but boy do you do a lot of "do the three things to get access to a new series of three things to do".

Reminds me of Darksiders 2, which was almost entirely that but nested. "Get these three sigils to unlock the new place, but to get the first sigil you need 3 keys and one of those is split into 3 parts each held by a miniboss" kind of poo poo.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm the kind of person who only looks at a guide when it's either that or give up on a game forever and that's where I got to with Tunic. I'm pretty persistent but after dying to the Heir lots of times and then discovering there's a loving phase 2 I can't get back to because the first phase is so hard I had to get help.

Why is this boss so hard? I died 30 times to the boss scavenger but felt like I was inching closer each time on that one whereas the Heir still just wrecks me. Mechanically I find some of the attacks to be pretty poorly telegraphed, I'm forever getting hit by a sudden charge attack I just can't react to in time. The multiple wave attacks seem extremely difficult to avoid, the attack where they bombard the arena but still keep attacking you is loving nasty and they just seem to have too much health for a first phase, it takes a while and if I ever do make it to the second phase reliably, the first is going to get tedious fast since the second phase looks rough. That's why I tend to really dislike multiple phase bosses but whatever.

A few people online talked about using consumables, well I've used most of mine and they don't come back when you die so :shrug:

There are cards in the game that give you perks and some people said you can absolutely cheese the boss with them but I don't think what they all do is communicated brilliantly, even given that the whole point of the game is to be in the dark to begin with. There are hints in the picture and the manual pages I have but I couldn't discern what many of them did.

Finally, I wasn't fully upgraded, there's a single upgrade I hadn't got back (potion effectiveness) after the die and lose all your powers bit since the usual way was blocked, the teleporter was blocked and the only other way I could think of was through this boss, so I thought the game was telling me the Heir is preventing you from getting the last upgrade you need to regain your corporeal form. As it turns out, there's a way there via a little hidden shortcut next to the mountain door. I've used it before so I probably should have remembered but it felt a little harsh. I don't know if having better potions will help me much since chugging a potion leaves you wide open but I'll go again and see if I can do better. Absurd difficulty spike though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

A few people online talked about using consumables, well I've used most of mine and they don't come back when you die so :shrug:

Any game where this is the case can gently caress itself.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

I'm the kind of person who only looks at a guide when it's either that or give up on a game forever and that's where I got to with Tunic. I'm pretty persistent but after dying to the Heir lots of times and then discovering there's a loving phase 2 I can't get back to because the first phase is so hard I had to get help.

Why is this boss so hard? I died 30 times to the boss scavenger but felt like I was inching closer each time on that one whereas the Heir still just wrecks me. Mechanically I find some of the attacks to be pretty poorly telegraphed, I'm forever getting hit by a sudden charge attack I just can't react to in time. The multiple wave attacks seem extremely difficult to avoid, the attack where they bombard the arena but still keep attacking you is loving nasty and they just seem to have too much health for a first phase, it takes a while and if I ever do make it to the second phase reliably, the first is going to get tedious fast since the second phase looks rough. That's why I tend to really dislike multiple phase bosses but whatever.

There are cards in the game that give you perks and some people said you can absolutely cheese the boss with them but I don't think what they all do is communicated brilliantly, even given that the whole point of the game is to be in the dark to begin with. There are hints in the picture and the manual pages I have but I couldn't discern what many of them did.

Finally, I wasn't fully upgraded, there's a single upgrade I hadn't got back (potion effectiveness) after the die and lose all your powers bit since the usual way was blocked, the teleporter was blocked and the only other way I could think of was through this boss, so I thought the game was telling me the Heir is preventing you from getting the last upgrade you need to regain your corporeal form. As it turns out, there's a way there via a little hidden shortcut next to the mountain door. I've used it before so I probably should have remembered but it felt a little harsh. I don't know if having better potions will help me much since chugging a potion leaves you wide open but I'll go again and see if I can do better. Absurd difficulty spike though.

I think it depends on the consumable but some like the bombs have a regen mechanic after you use X amount where you get a few free ones that do come back like the potions. But also, just cheat, turn on whatever accessibility settings you need if you’re not having fun, it’s literally what the devs want.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
well i guess i'm done with assassin's creed odyssey. played it a bit earlier today, came back to it this evening and it won't start up. tried verifying the files, starting it up from the ubisoft connect thing, no luck. hurray for video games :negative:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While it's a cool level, the Monastery in Tomb Raider 2 in Tibet has some NASTY ambushes and it's really REALLY big. Got some cool keys though, like the prayer wheels.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

rydiafan posted:

The dark side of the megalixir conundrum.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I love Sekiro to death but it had a real bad example of that.

Right before one of the more difficult early game bosses there is a guy who will give you one or two snap peas, mention they’re really useful for the boss, then he dies.

When you die to this boss the guy you talked to is still dead and you have no way to easily get more peas.

Though the real kicker is that the peas aren’t even that useful for the boss, they just talked them up like they were.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

Right before one of the more difficult early game bosses there is a guy who will give you one or two snap peas, mention they’re really useful for the boss, then he dies.

When you die to this boss the guy you talked to is still dead and you have no way to easily get more peas.

Though the real kicker is that the peas aren’t even that useful for the boss, they just talked them up like they were.

IIRC that boss fight also had a pop-up message about dodging attacks which was pretty much the wrong way to do the fight

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of Darksiders 2, which was almost entirely that but nested. "Get these three sigils to unlock the new place, but to get the first sigil you need 3 keys and one of those is split into 3 parts each held by a miniboss" kind of poo poo.

The first Kojima Castlevania game does this, too. I stopped playing it when I was given a fetch quest to collect four items so I could get one of the three items I needed for a fetch quest.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

moosecow333 posted:

Isn't there some weird extra layer to it where the snap peas do something different from what you expect them to do. Like they do/don't make the fake Lady Butterflys go away but don't/do remove her momentary invisibility?

And then besides her they affect like...maybe two other enemies in the entire game total?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't there some weird extra layer to it where the snap peas do something different from what you expect them to do. Like they do/don't make the fake Lady Butterflys go away but don't/do remove her momentary invisibility?

And then besides her they affect like...maybe two other enemies in the entire game total?

They kill her summoned ghosts.

Snap peas are incredibly strong against the corrupted monk

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Subnautica: Below Zero seems to be really inconsistent about playing the awesome musical sting that accompanies learning a new blueprint.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

rydiafan posted:

I am bad about hoarding consumables instead of using them and games that do this make it that much worse.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes it’s the last boss of the game and I have 51 full heal potions but what if I have to fight him a 52nd time

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I never want to kill another perfumer for miranda powder again.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I never want to kill another perfumer for miranda powder again.

Lol, I’ve done two playthroughs of that game and never realized they even could drop anything besides armor.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

All consumables in vaguely soulslike games should refill when you rest like estus flasks do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The Moon Monster posted:

Team Ninja's Souls style series Nioh is the absolute worst about this poo poo. In Dark Souls you can find like 30 different straight swords and, well, they don't all feel super unique but there's a good deal of variety to be had. In Nioh you'll find, I dunno, literally a thousand katanas and they'll all feel exactly the same. Apparently their new Three Kingdoms Sekiro-style game also does this. Bleh.

The real secret to Nioh is realizing its using Diablo as a base in addition to Souls, those thousand swords all feeling the same is deliberate since you'll only keep the one with the stats you want it to have.