Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I had that exact same problem with the sb8200, replaced it with an S33 and have had zero issues since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
There is a default password you have to modify from on the sb8200, I'll have to Google and I see if I saved the link. I'm not sure if it fixes if the firmware or hardware is having issues, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I figured out the password issue. It doesn't like passwords with more than one numeric character. :negative:

I'm still getting intermittent drops, but it seems to be related to Cox rolling out upgrades in my area and adding ODFM upstream channels. That causes T3 and T4 timeouts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
yep, the 8200 is kind of a pos, I fought with it for a long time before I figured out it was the issue

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

e.pilot posted:

yep, the 8200 is kind of a pos, I fought with it for a long time before I figured out it was the issue

I've had decades of goodness with Arris/Surfboards. Is this model in particular just a pain?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ynglaur posted:

I've had decades of goodness with Arris/Surfboards. Is this model in particular just a pain?

yeah, I switched it out for an s33 and have had zero issues

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I have literally never heard of issues with the SB8200, at my old job (local ISP) it's literally the one modem we had that could be trusted to not gently caress up

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

My SB8200 has been working without a hitch for some years now. Granted I subscribe to sub-gigabit service and have not needed to try to do LACP on the Ethernet ports. Maybe it has old/buggy firmware on it and the ISP hasn't pushed anything newer to it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Same here, my SB8200 has been rock solid for a couple of years and it was a refurb. I've only seen two goons trash it (here included), neither have been able to elucidate why when asked.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am having some weirdness with an 8200, but just chalked that up to it being a refurb unit. Which I was okay with getting, because, c'mon, it's an 8200, those things have been bulletproof.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hey goons,

I'm an Enterprise IT computer toucher by trade, more server focused but a pretty strong telecom side as well. I'm currently undertaking a total redesign of my home network and I'm trying to decide on a camp.

I hear a ton of good things about ubiquiti, but also like the à la carte aspect of microtik if that makes sense. I have a little mikrotik router on the way to play with but I'm curious if I should be considering a different ecosystem to buy into.

Some general requirements:
-Multiple VLANs so I can isolate smart home, IoT, etc
-Ability to forward traffic / logs to data analysis stuff like splunk
-generally open source or at least not a total walled garden

The biggest thing is a general environment of playing nice with my docker / VMware infrastructure but I figure that is pretty straightforward, I would really prefer to avoid paying Cisco prices.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

There's no open source AP system out there. Use ubiquity if you want a web interface, Omada if you want a web interface that isn't ubiquity, and mikrotik is the hardcore style that you configure via cli and constantly have to janitor. :iiaca: kinda Windows, Mac, Unix.

They're all about the same once setup with ubiquity being the most popular. Also for ubiquity and Omada, if you get their switches, the interface will configure them too.

Edit: don't use their firewalls, they're all poo poo, except mikrotik is most flexible, but will also gently caress you up if you make a mistake - if you can't understand their flow diagrams, don't to use it.

unknown fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 6, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You can flash the Omada APs with openWRT iirc but not sure what that would get you

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wait since when have unifi firewalls been poo poo? I can understand if you put in bad rules, but the hardware itself has been solid for me.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Sorry, they're ok for basic nat/security and speeds, but additional features/options and the like is what I was focused on.

It maybe just my impression of them the times I have to deal with them, but they're generally lowest common denominator of features for what they can do. I'll take opn/pfsense any day over them for the expanded feature set. (I'm not getting into enterprise gear at this level of install)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
basic firewalls they're okay but if you want to do more advanced things with them, dollar for dollar you'd be better off with rolling your own pfsense/opnsense box

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

You had me at "will gently caress you up if you make a mistake"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pfsense/opnsense for firewall/routing. WiFi to taste, pick one that supports vlans.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Wibla posted:

Pfsense/opnsense for firewall/routing. WiFi to taste, pick one that supports vlans.

this

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I know there are plenty of appliances that one could get for pf/opnsense, but assuming I wanted to run in bare metal what’s the new hotness?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know there are plenty of appliances that one could get for pf/opnsense, but assuming I wanted to run in bare metal what’s the new hotness?

find an N5105 box on aliexpress that tickles your fancy

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pfSense/OPNsense is an appliance - it's just an appliance OS.

The alternative to an appliance OS, in this case, would be FreeBSD with pf configured - but that also gives you the option of using ipfw, which pfSense/OPNsense doesn't.
As for hardware that'll run FreeBSD, a AMD64/x86_64 or Aarch64 (not on a SBC, though) with an Intel/Chelsio/Mellanox NIC is probably the best choice.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

e.pilot posted:

find an N5105 box on aliexpress that tickles your fancy

This?

I've had analysis paralysis with my network for a long time now - do I want to go Unifi, or roll my own opn/pfsense box. I already do enough jockeying with my NAS, but being locked into Ubiquiti gear does kinda scare me. A lot of their hardware looks nice enough, I just need a Dream Machine Pro with 2.5GBes, drat it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Their WiFi stuff is OK, I would steer clear of the rest.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Corb3t posted:

This?

I've had analysis paralysis with my network for a long time now - do I want to go Unifi, or roll my own opn/pfsense box. I already do enough jockeying with my NAS, but being locked into Ubiquiti gear does kinda scare me. A lot of their hardware looks nice enough, I just need a Dream Machine Pro with 2.5GBes, drat it.

that’d do the trick

my whole network save for the firewall is ubiquiti, 10g switches for the backbone, bunch of PoE switches and cameras, it’s all been great, can max out what xfinity gives me at 1200mbit and get 600-800mbit everywhere in my house and backyard on wifi

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Does stuff from AliExpress still take like a year to get to the US?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Comcast/Xfinity in my area recently upgraded the lines and I can get literally double my current speed (400 mbps) for $5 less than my current contract. Turns out my modem doesn't support anything more than 400 anyway, so I'll be looking to upgrade that. From the comments above, it sounds like both the S33 and SB8200 Arris modems are a decent choice?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Corb3t posted:

This?

I've had analysis paralysis with my network for a long time now - do I wantc to go Unifi, or roll my own opn/pfsense box. I already do enough jockeying with my NAS, but being locked into Ubiquiti gear does kinda scare me. A lot of their hardware looks nice enough, I just need a Dream Machine Pro with 2.5GBes, drat it.

https://www.servethehome.com/tag/2-5gbe/

Lots of reviews of those on sth. (the sff Ali boxes that is)
And long but helpful forum threads on the multitudes of versions of boxes too.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hyper Inferno posted:

Comcast/Xfinity in my area recently upgraded the lines and I can get literally double my current speed (400 mbps) for $5 less than my current contract. Turns out my modem doesn't support anything more than 400 anyway, so I'll be looking to upgrade that. From the comments above, it sounds like both the S33 and SB8200 Arris modems are a decent choice?

Yep, both are 'can't go wrong' choices.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cr0y posted:

Does stuff from AliExpress still take like a year to get to the US?

2-4 weeks ime

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, it looks like my Virgin Media Hub 5 router I was taking about a few pages back is starting to crap out.

Devices are starting to lose connection to the WiFi due to not being assigned an ip address from it.

Resetting it fixed it the first time but I had to turn it on and off a few times when it happened again a few days later.

I've got a lot of smart devices around the house (bulbs, plugs, echos, Nest heating, etc) so I think it's just getting overloaded.

Seeing as I was trying to get faster speeds around my house I was wondering if I should invest in something like the AXE5400 tp link mesh wifi and just switch the Virgin hub to modem mode.

That was the one of the first tp link routers that came back on Amazon so I dunno if its even a good one.

It's another expense after I picked up WiFi extenders already, but I'm not sure how to deal with the ip address issues if it is due to how many devices I have.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, I set mine to modem and attached an Alixpress router and UniFi AP nearly as soon as it arrived.
Can't comment on the router you mention. Looks pretty bonkers though. Like if Batman was a gamer.

Before I decided on my set up I was looking at
MikroTik hAP AX3 Home Access Point / Router - C53UiG+5HPaxD2HPaxD
but they were out of stock at the time.
Linitx have them in now though for about £150

Ill let others say if it is any better than the TP, or anything else.
If you know your way round TP stuff already then no sense bothering either (unless you want to)

You shouldn't be having ip address issues though? How many devices do you have?

Did you try changing the channels from auto to manual, and setting the router to a less congested space?
Mine kept automatically picking channels that all the neighbours were on.
Didn't have it set up very long before changing to the router /AP, but it might be worth trying?

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 8, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Came across this on SlickDeals. Renewed SB8200 modem for 75 bucks.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16456429-arris-surfboard-sb8200-rb-docsis-3-1-cable-modem-w-2-1-gbps-ports-renewed-76-40-free-shipping

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Well thanks jerks now I have to buy an n5105 something or other and learn opnsense.

:argh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cr0y posted:

Well thanks jerks now I have to buy an n5105 something or other and learn opnsense.

I ended up getting another HP-S01 miniPC and a quad NIC card for it and doing just that as well. I have a basic stable (I think) secured, network with 2 wired omada APs running their native software and its good. Now I gotta figure out how to set up VLANs and such and start securing things even further. OPNSense wasn't too bad to get the initial setup down. Unbound DNS on it blocks very well and I find it a bit more thorough than PiHole but also sometimes a bit too much. I just use a client VPN when thats an issue instead of trying to open things back up more.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Got pfSense running just fine on a 2014 Mac Mini.. it's only dual core but it's probably just fine for what it has to do, what helps is that it has two full speed Thunderbolt 2 ports for GB Ethernet adapters.

One goes to WAN, other to managed 8 port switch.. never heats up and it's never gone kaput unless Spectrum goes down..

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Hyper Inferno posted:

I went for Motorola MB8611's to upgrade my old SB6141 and my ma's old SB6121 modems.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pretty much all modern modems are running the same Broadcom chipset under the hood. Just avoid anything with an intel chipset and make sure it’s on your ISP’s approved modem list.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cr0y posted:

it’ll run on just about anything for home use, I ran it on a J1900 with 4gig of ram for the better part of a decade before i moved to the 5105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Yeah, I set mine to modem and attached an Alixpress router and UniFi AP nearly as soon as it arrived.
Can't comment on the router you mention. Looks pretty bonkers though. Like if Batman was a gamer.

Before I decided on my set up I was looking at
MikroTik hAP AX3 Home Access Point / Router - C53UiG+5HPaxD2HPaxD
but they were out of stock at the time.
Linitx have them in now though for about £150

Ill let others say if it is any better than the TP, or anything else.
If you know your way round TP stuff already then no sense bothering either (unless you want to)

You shouldn't be having ip address issues though? How many devices do you have?

Did you try changing the channels from auto to manual, and setting the router to a less congested space?
Mine kept automatically picking channels that all the neighbours were on.
Didn't have it set up very long before changing to the router /AP, but it might be worth trying?

Aye, I'm not sure what's considered overkill for routers, it's just what came back from a search for tri band and I saw it could handle up to 200 devices or something.

I've not played around with any settings yet, so it's just on the factory default.

My house is pretty teched up with smart lights/plugs in almost every room, echos dotted around the place, nest heating in addition to the regular gadgets like TVs/phones, computers, etc.

The router says there are 37 connected devices but I count maybe 45 things in total that'll have an Internet connection.

That seems like a lot to me but maybe its not?

There weren't too many results on Google for my issue but a couple of the devices tried to connect to it and said they were unable to get an ip address.