Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How to say you haven't owned a Cyberverse toy without saying you haven't owned a Cyberverse toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've seen them on shelves, I know how hollow they look.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's the inner upper legs that are hollow. Cyberverse gimmick toys are usually hollow from toe to tip. A part that's typically always hollow on modern Generations/SS is nowhere NEAR on the level of a Cyberverse toy and is dismissive hyperbole.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gonna side with Nodosaur on this one. These look pretty good. Not going to replace my Deluxe WFC Prime, but I appreciate the different gun mounting options and the inclusion of the big axe.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
i literally saw a wfc optimus in-person for the first time less than an hour ago & without having hands on either figure i prefer the aesthetics & proportions of the original. i have no doubt the new toy will be more posable, accurate to the game (i havent played) & generally better engineered however

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well I don't know what to tell you. Maybe it's the colour or the posing or the lighting, but I almost can't see anything else about it. It's the elbows too, and the design of the lower legs makes them look like they're built entirely out of empty boxes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh neat, the lower arms come off so you can do the thing of having the weapon look like it's morphing out of the arm.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Time to install and beat Fall of Cybertron again I guess

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
These just make me wish that multiplayer was still online :sigh:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I missed out on War For Cybertron, both the game and the toys, but these figures look pretty rad. Optimus's head almost looks a bit too tiny for his gigantic body in some of these shots and his matrix is hilariously small, but I honestly love it??

also, the "Gamer Edition" branding on the packaging is really loving funny to me

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you can get them to work on a PC or track down an Xbox and some disks or something I'd highly recommend trying the games. They tell a reasonably entertaining story and the gameplay is fun, if slightly less good at encouraging transformation than it could be. The multiplayer was also pretty great.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wonder if they'll do a good version of Bruticus. The other figures had their flaws, but I feel like combiners have definitely had the most advances in "making them not poo poo" technology since the original came out.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The original deluxe Optimus has hollow thighs too so it’s the same in that regard

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

that barricade looks so good

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think they look good, I just don't know how much interest I have in figures from a decade-old and dead game series. I think it'll come down to how desperate I am for new figures when they hit the shelves.

XavierGenisi posted:

also, the "Gamer Edition" branding on the packaging is really loving funny to me
Agreed, pretty cringeworthy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I never played the games but I like the look of that bee and I will buy it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Fall of Cybertron is, like, the perfect game, IMO.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Fall of Cybertron is, like, the perfect game, IMO.

I really missed the co-op element from WFC, but yeah, it was very very good

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My Tarn arrived.

I thought he was a factory fuckup or something because of how flat he was laying in the packaging, but nope. Tarn's just got no backpack!

He looks great, the transformation is pretty neat, he poses like a dream and his giant imposing shoulders, all around S-tier toy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Knormal posted:

Agreed, pretty cringeworthy.

Yes, I agree, advertising to the audience it's for is cringeworthy indeed

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Star Wars Black Series has a "Gaming Greats" subline, so it makes sense for Transformers to do something similar. Neither name is particularly good, but it gets across the point of the line.

I imagine if they were just doing War for Cybertron, they'd give it a more specific name, as well. The 86 subline is specific to that movie because it's (so far) the only theatrically released animated movie, but just going with a general "Gamer Edition" name implies it'll be more broad. There aren't really enough TF games out there with unique enough designs to call for specific Video Game versions of characters, but maybe that upcoming Reactivate game will have some associated figures as well.

It's a shame that Transformers Universe never made it to release, because some of those designs were pretty cool.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Will we get a gamer edition of Ultra Magnus from Transformers: Mystery of the Convoy?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was wondering what other “gaming” figures they’d do other than remakes of WFC/FoC toys (although Barricade is new, which is neat).

They could remake some of the old ‘07 movie verse toys that were based on the movie videogame, like Dropkick and Swindle I guess?

Like it’s not like Transformers has a deep wellspring of games to draw from unless I’m forgetting a bunch.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I was wondering what other “gaming” figures they’d do other than remakes of WFC/FoC toys (although Barricade is new, which is neat).

They could remake some of the old ‘07 movie verse toys that were based on the movie videogame, like Dropkick and Swindle I guess?

Like it’s not like Transformers has a deep wellspring of games to draw from unless I’m forgetting a bunch.

Eight foot tall Tidal Wave

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's been a few unique characters in games over the years that they could do.

Devastation very briefly featured Nova Prime as a sequel tease, so maybe he could get a figure (which could be twofer since he's pretty similar to Combat Hero Optimus Prime). There were also some generic enemies they could do repaints for - battlecharger-style cars, conehead seekers, and a tank enemy that reused Blitzwing's model without the plane kibble.

Thunderwing was in the Transformers Prime video game, and while it's not a particularly beloved game, the character in general is probably due for an update.

The movie games had a few interesting characters that didn't really appear elsewhere. A movie version of Warpath showed up in Dark of the Moon's game, and both the ROTF and DOTM games featured Breakaway, who had a pretty neat toy in the original ROTF movie line.

The Beast Wars games had a pretty limited cast, but still managed to sneak in a chome "Megatron X" using Transmetal 2 Megatron, and Windrazor as a Silverbolt texture swap.

The High Moon games definitely have the biggest cast to draw from, though maybe they're just establishing the line so they can use it for any other games that come out in the future as well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Come on cowards give me toys from the best Transformers video game.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Remember those cell-shaded repaints of Siege figures? They could probably repaint existing G1-style figures as Devastation characters.

Re: Breakaway and Warpath from live-action tie-in games. They sort of did this with SS Dino and Sideways already.

Joke option: SS GE N64 Beast Wars figures are Kingdom/Legacy characters retooled to have low polygon count.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 9, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Phy posted:

Eight foot tall Tidal Wave

Do a crossover with Gi Joe and make USS Flagg Tidal Wave

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Devastation was a fantastic game, and I think they could homage it pretty well just by doing a paint job to denote the cel-shading, but sadly it no longer exists.

For a while, it seemed like Hasbro was on track to dive deep into all the crazy gimmicks of late G1 and G2, but after only briefly trying pretender shells, it seems like they've decided to take a diversion into entirely unrelated weird gimmick territory. I guess the fact that the fiction has apparently decided not to bring back any of the pretender characters besides Bludgeon and Thunderwing doesn't help them at all (I think the G1 throwback fiction hates most gimmicks). Who knows if Hasbro will ever take a try at them again.

And to be honest, I don't really...get the pretender gimmick for the most part. I respect it for being utterly bonkers, but I'm not sure you could get away with most of those pretender shells by current toy standards. The only ones I'm really interested in returning are the Mega Pretenders, and not just because one of their commercials was burned into my brain by a childhood VHS tape, but because the shells do something extra to justify themselves. They're more than they pretend to be.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Two toys in ooooooone though

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Have they done a Bludgeon that I've missed? Mass market, not special Hasbro club or whatever.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Have they done a Bludgeon that I've missed? Mass market, not special Hasbro club or whatever.

This one:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also this one, wherein he wields a pagoda.

Dabir posted:

Two toys in ooooooone though

The math gets weird. Transformers are already two toys in one, mega pretenders are like...5?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There were rumors/listings about a Studio Series ROTF Breakaway that might be part of a Gamer Edition line now.

Dawgstar posted:

There's almost certainly a Bludgeon in the works off of Tarn.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlothfulCobra posted:

And to be honest, I don't really...get the pretender gimmick for the most part. I respect it for being utterly bonkers, but I'm not sure you could get away with most of those pretender shells by current toy standards. The only ones I'm really interested in returning are the Mega Pretenders, and not just because one of their commercials was burned into my brain by a childhood VHS tape, but because the shells do something extra to justify themselves. They're more than they pretend to be.

Pretenders always cracked me up. "Okay I know an Autobot came this way, do you see anything?". "No, just that 100 foot tall human over there".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lmao forever at Skullgrin in the comic. An actual giant skeletal monster stomping around being in movies as himself, nice job blending in idiot

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dabir posted:

Lmao forever at Skullgrin in the comic. An actual giant skeletal monster stomping around being in movies as himself, nice job blending in idiot

The real funny thing is it worked for a while.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Masterforce did Autobot Pretenders better where they just shrink to become humans. I can see a future live action movie merging this concept with Powermasters so they can have Dwayne Johnson play "I'm Japanese" Optimus Prime Ginrai.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also this one, wherein he wields a pagoda.

That's actually a samurai war club, making this the first time he actually embodied the name Bludgeon.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 9, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Years ago when Animated was still relatively new(though after it had finished), my take on an Animated version of the Pretender concept was pretty much just Prometheus Black further refining his "Human Transformer" experiments into a more perfected form(probably by somehow tapping into Allspark energy and/or by capturing Sari and studying her hybrid physiology), though these Pretenders would have been based only on the outer shell designs* and their transformation abilities would be limited to just going from a normal human appearance to a monster or armored form(which in turn would have size shifting abilities)

*I think we can all agree that the inner robot designs for the Pretenders have never really been particularly great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm always so distracted by how bonkers the shells are, I never really thought to judge the inner robots all that much. I think by the standards of G1, they're probably pretty good. Better articulation than the earlier days, some have waists, hips, and even knees. They have a tendency to be thin, wiry guys instead of the classic G1 big rectangular chunk.