Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mlmp08 posted:

The craft come from the landing ship. LHD Landing Craft is in the name. The Abrams can be transported inside the ship. This is if you need an amphibious landing instead of going port to port on any number of ships.

here is a picture for you.

Immediately destroyed by air to surface missile at the beginning of any conflict - and thank goodness! Because Australians and Australia suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Caught between the West and Russia, could Georgia be the next Ukraine?

How do you color revolution a country you already color revolution-ed onto yourside

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
georgia is being dunked in the dye vat again.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

KomradeX posted:

How do you color revolution a country you already color revolution-ed onto yourside

after the color revolution comes the HD revolution and then the 4k revolution

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

technicolor revolution

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Easy, just like there was the Orange Revolution, the national will reasserted itself, and then Maidan, there was the Rose Revolution, the national will reasserted itself, they need another one to start a war with Russia.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's real weird how these completely organic and ostensibly pro-democracy and prosperity movements always end up with picking a fight with the great power next door as their most important policy :thunk:

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

lol, it was only a few days ago the government funded Australian Broadcasting Corporation put out a a two part series of articles where every expert they spoke to unanimously agreed we will get destroyed or at the least sent into some kind dark age if we sided with the US in a war with China, which our government probably would do anyway despite having nothing to gain and a very significant amount to lose.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Racism is the most powerful force in Australia

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Well that and the emu confederation.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Well that and the emu confederation.

The Emus just wanted to live in peace

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

free larry

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Redezga posted:

lol, it was only a few days ago the government funded Australian Broadcasting Corporation put out a a two part series of articles where every expert they spoke to unanimously agreed we will get destroyed or at the least sent into some kind dark age if we sided with the US in a war with China, which our government probably would do anyway despite having nothing to gain and a very significant amount to lose.

dat free speech as long as it doesn't affect capitalist anti-democratic policy

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

WW2 and Korea operated in a mono media environment where consent manufacturing was possible, but that was gone by the 70s even let along today ...

... what?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Now we have a multi media environment where consent manufacturing is assured.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

here's my thesis - in the mid 20th century, there were fewer voices that could reach a national audience for both technical and cultural reasons. this allowed for greater consensus to be built around the need for the US to be at war, and for the public to be sold on the necessity for sacrifice. you could also use the Hallin's spheres model of consensus<>legitimate controversy<>deviance, where there were legitimate criticisms of US wars allowed but within defined bounds. the history of the last quarter of the 20th century saw the fragmentation of the media to the point where defining a centre point of consensus isn't possible any more. as a result I don't think you can get the public on board with the sacrifices that total war would mean.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

the history of the last quarter of the 20th century saw the fragmentation of the media to the point where defining a centre point of consensus isn't possible any more.

lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
idk about that. seems like it depends on who you're calling media and how you're defining consensus though. and possible. and some otehrs tuff maybe

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah I rewrote that sentence and it came out grammatically awkward, apologies. I didn't expect much pushback on that to be honest but obviously people disagree. Is it that you don't think a national consensus such as existed in WW2 (obviously a big target I just painted there) is needed for a ww3 total war, or that you think national consensus could be achieved if china blew up an aircraft carrier or something.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

here's my thesis - in the mid 20th century, there were fewer voices that could reach a national audience for both technical and cultural reasons. this allowed for greater consensus to be built around the need for the US to be at war, and for the public to be sold on the necessity for sacrifice. you could also use the Hallin's spheres model of consensus<>legitimate controversy<>deviance, where there were legitimate criticisms of US wars allowed but within defined bounds. the history of the last quarter of the 20th century saw the fragmentation of the media to the point where defining a centre point of consensus isn't possible any more. as a result I don't think you can get the public on board with the sacrifices that total war would mean.

Yeah, you have two center points to keep it stable

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Yeah I'm also lmaoing at this, the country is loving thirsting for war with China, it's the only consensus political position left

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

For a total war where people get drafted? Yeah, you might have a point but the powers that be shifted over to the poverty draft and now there's no problem when soldiers die because they signed a contract saying it was cool. And from a business perspective, total war would suck now anyway. The world economy isn't siloed like it was before and so two superpowers slugging it out would just hurt the highly intertwined capital class, so now we get proxy wars and whatever the gently caress you want to call Ukraine (half proxy war?)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The last two times English and Ameircan societies fought a total war they were functioning societies. Today they are not and that is my sole encompassing reasoning for why the US cannot fight a total war in the modern era

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah I'm also lmaoing at this, the country is loving thirsting for war with China, it's the only consensus political position left

Even if it meant the end of the consumer economy? I guess this is the bit that isn't understood and needs to be communicated - total war war with China means no new iPhone next year, no more 4090s, no model year 2024 cars, no more anime, no more kpop.

Btw this is an interesting conversation and I don't mind if people think my ideas are dumb, have at it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Even if it meant the end of the consumer economy? I guess this is the bit that isn't understood and needs to be communicated - total war war with China means no new iPhone next year, no more 4090s, no model year 2024 cars, no more anime, no more kpop.

Btw this is an interesting conversation and I don't mind if people think my ideas are dumb, have at it.

The war with China stuff feels like the MIC going for one more big score, but it's hard to see how the remainder of the capital class lets anything get anywhere beyond sailing our big, expensive aircraft carriers around and the military waving their collective dicks out the portholes.

I'd say there's political consensus that hating China is good, but look at how the rank and file politicians reacted when Trump decided to do trade war poo poo with China. There was broad, bipartisan consensus that he was loving it up for everyone and only minority on either side actually on board for that poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The failsons of the failsons of the failsons are in charge of the massive empire machine, they have no idea how to use it and think it works the same way their personal lives have. The original architects are all dead and anyone who still knows how it works is prevented from reaching any position of power or influence by the system itself. They are literally unable to join the dots between war with china and the end of the consumer economy because nobody who thinks like that is in charge of anything.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nobody's doing the loving math on this dude, they just want blood

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Including elites who think they can shove their dicks right up to the bandsaw and everything will be fine because they're JIT-brained dipshits who don't understand some things can't be stopped once started and have never had to face a generational crisis of any kind

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Slavvy posted:

The failsons of the failsons of the failsons are in charge of the massive empire machine, they have no idea how to use it and think it works the same way their personal lives have. The original architects are all dead and anyone who still knows how it works is prevented from reaching any position of power or influence by the system itself. They are literally unable to join the dots between war with china and the end of the consumer economy because nobody who thinks like that is in charge of anything.

they are accusing china of the above fwiw :ironicat:
Press Briefing: Previewing China’s 14th National People's Congress

www.csis.org posted:

The other side of this is going to be on the appointment side, because you don’t have – once you announce policies, they have to be carried out. And I think one of the things that is going to be most important to watch are – is who gets the top jobs on the – in the econ bureaucracy. For the last 30-plus years, China’s economic performance has depended on very smart, wise, economic bureaucrats who have given political space to implement a whole variety of economic policies that are pragmatic. And it – there’s a worry that this era is coming to an end, certainly because of the overall direction and trajectory Xi Jinping wants to take the country, his emphasis on political loyalty above expertise. And so there is the question about whether this new team will have the capacity and space to be smart, pragmatic governors of the – stewards of the economy.

And I think everyone knows that as Li Keqiang steps down as premier, his likely replacement is Li Qiang, who has been party secretary of Shanghai, been very loyal to Xi Jinping, perhaps got the job because he implemented the Shanghai lockdown exactly as Beijing wanted, not as the people of Shanghai wanted.

In addition, the most likely replacement for Liu He, who has been the vice premier in charge of the economy, is He Lifeng. And He Lifeng goes back a very long way with Xi Jinping, to Fujian, which is where He Lifeng is from. He has most recently been the head of the National Development Reform Commission, China’s planning agency, and also has experience in Tianjin, where he spent a ton of money on infrastructure. And he’s not considered a(n) economic reformer.

The folks that run the financial bureaucracy – the central bank, the Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commission, China’s security markets – all of those people are slated for retirement or moving to other positions. And their backers, from Zhou Xiaochuan to others, are retiring. And their replacements who have not been named yet, may understand math, but they may not understand economies, and they may understand who their boss is even more.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Late Victorian British Empire is interesting too because it invaded Ethiopia and Tibet for no real reasons anyone could explain or defend, just the failsons had started to take over, and they had all the machinery, so…

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We have always been at war with Ethiopia

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

PressTV posted:

Iran: Shahid Mahdavi drone aircraft carrier joins IRGC navy fleet along with 95 missile-launching speedboats

#Iran #navy #IRGC

@PressTV
(from t.me/presstv/61614, via tgsa)

Iran's got a new bote.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

The Late Victorian British Empire is interesting too because it invaded Ethiopia and Tibet for no real reasons anyone could explain or defend, just the failsons had started to take over, and they had all the machinery, so…

Imagine growing up in an educational and social vacuum where everything you come into contact is Brookings or McKinsey-grade bullshit, and having no personal accountability for any of your actions or mistakes, and automatically being in charge by who you know and where you went to school, and then imagine that person raising a kid in the same bubble. That's where this motherfucker came from:

Run that cycle two or three more times and that's where we are now

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lmao if Iran's the first nation to sink an American nuclear carrier

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Iran will make Dahir Insaat real

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Wheeee posted:

lmao if Iran's the first nation to sink an American nuclear carrier

With the way the USN has been ramming into other ships and generally being incompetent, I dunno.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I fully expect the first carrier lost to be the result of someone refusing to accept that boats don't work on land.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Emperor Theodore (Amhara) of Abyssinia captured British missionaries because London wouldn’t pay attention to him( and send him toy trains), then he shot himself .The arms the British left behind were used to found the Ethiopian empire by Yohannes (Tigrayian) and Menelik (amharized Oromo)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PawParole has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Mar 10, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

Henry Kasandringer.

Azathoth posted:

For a total war where people get drafted? Yeah, you might have a point but the powers that be shifted over to the poverty draft and now there's no problem when soldiers die because they signed a contract saying it was cool. And from a business perspective, total war would suck now anyway. The world economy isn't siloed like it was before and so two superpowers slugging it out would just hurt the highly intertwined capital class, so now we get proxy wars and whatever the gently caress you want to call Ukraine (half proxy war?)

The bottom income quartile is under represented in the military, the poverty draft isn't real.
How is Ukraine not a full on proxy war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Weka posted:

How is Ukraine not a full on proxy war?

once china admits to sending russia deadly weapons MPL50 shovels it will be more clear its a usa vs prc proxy war