Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mx. posted:

Lol I almost always Pnurtis, I decided to mix it up because of how mad the SIL is

You can name a kid a regular rear end noun if you want it's fine. Looking it up Cove is a considerably more common name than my irl name (I share a name with a character from Arthurian tales)

Yeah, whatever Galahad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Calm down, Merlin.

They don’t say which Arthurian Tale. I’m thinking “Wart”.

Edit: after a Google, I’m going with “Griflet”

Or “Vertigern”. ‘Sup Gernie?

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 9, 2023

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

InsertPotPun posted:

"wheat juice"

father is the rear end in a top hat

I honestly thought the little girl was handing out wheatgrass shots.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gavin is still a popular name and its from Arthurian legend

Unlike Percy which was snuffed out in 1948 due to concentrated efforts during post war rebuilding efforts

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Lol

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Runcible Cat posted:

Via BORU, originally posted to r/relationship_advice. Long, but the guy's inspiration is... something special

My fiancé returned an award he was given at work, and he thinks it's the reason he wasn't promoted

Update March 1, 2023

People can refuse to accept awards for many reasons, some good, some bad, some bullshit and some petty. Marlon Brando and Kevin Sheedy being famous examples. But this guy is refusing an award for reasons he himself doesn't know or understand, because he is cargo-culting a blockbuster movie.

"A dude did this thing in a corporate-branded movie I saw. So if I do that thing, then I will be cool and virtuous, just like the movie."

Also guessing that he didn't just politely decline the award, or return it with a "I can't accept this as I don't believe in awards.". But instead made a scene and/or tried to explain his half understood reasons that "I saw it in a movie so I won't take your godless plaque." etc.

I'd be on his side if he understood why he was refusing his little work award, or could give a better reason than "I'm a Marvel fan and someone in a Marvel movie did it". But he can't, so I laugh at him.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hughlander posted:

This is the most infuriating OP I've read in a very long time, but I'm posting it for the first reply:

The Hero we need:

quote:

Whenever the kids need a babysitter, two or three rowdy men show up ready to be horseys or punching bags for the boys and tea party guests for the little girl.

Gods among men :3:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When I watch my nieces, it's much less tea party and much more Wrestlemania. Thankfully they're not big enough to chokeslsm but drat do they know how to elbow drop me.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for calling a Irish-American a plastic paddy, calling her out as a fake irishman?

quote:

Im actually irish, born in Limerick, and i was in Boston the other day and I was out with my buddies drinking. I meet a guy named Dominick and he introduces his friend Sarah. Sarah asks where I'm from and I tell her Ireland and he's like "that's cool I'm irish too" in a really fake Irish accent. Her surname was O'Hara and i ask her what part of Ireland she's from. She told me she's never actually been there and was born in Boston. I ask her what if when they immigrated and she says she doesn't know but she knows she's irish because of her surname. She then goes on about how she loves shepherd's pie, the IRA, bagpipes, kilts, haggis and best part of all, she told me she's going to start studying in Londonderry. No loving irishmen ever calls that city "Londonderry."Irish call it Derry or Freederry. She tells me she's going to get a Merlin's Ale and asks if i want an true irish beer.

I just about had it at this point and i call her out. I tell her that I'm pissed that she has the audacity to call herself Irish when she's clearly not. She's never been to Ireland, can't speak Gaelic, think's Merlin's Ale, kilts, and haggis are Irish when they're really Scottish. I tell her she's a liar and a disgrace to Ireland and us Irish don't accept her. I tell her she's a plastic paddy, which are basically people of Irish descent who pretend to be Irish when they're really American, Canadian, Australian etc. I dealt with enough of these people on Australia and I'm loving sick of them. I told her she needs to stfu, she's not irish nor will she ever be Irish. She starts crying and leaves the bar and Dominick calls me an rear end in a top hat saying that i took it too far. My other Irish friend and my scottish friend Seamus and William back me up saying that i was in the right and she shouldn't be allowed to do this poo poo

Reddit verdict: yta for gatekeeping nationality

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Barudak posted:

Gavin is still a popular name and its from Arthurian legend

Unlike Percy which was snuffed out in 1948 due to concentrated efforts during post war rebuilding efforts

A co-worker was being all smug about self-publishing a book under a pseudonym and telling us how scandalised we'd be if he told us about it but constantly reminding us and going to "book signings". We got sick of it and tracked it down and it was just the most unerotic banal journal of all the sex workers he'd shagged and how he would follow them around and visit his favourites in different cities with no point or development or end. It was awful and the worst part is we weren't sure if it would have employment consequences if it got out so we couldn't even give him poo poo about it.

Anyway, that's how I found out my work colleague named his dick Percy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Niece please, Im tired, its ok you dont need to thank me. <niece does a perfect Stone Cold Hugger>

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling a Irish-American a plastic paddy, calling her out as a fake irishman?

That spoiler :eyepop: :lol:

Shocked she didn’t offer everyone a round of Irish Car Bombs

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mx. posted:

I wonder if she refers to her period as "The Troubles".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

Reddit loving would

Batterypowered7 posted:

lmfao

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Serephina posted:

But yea I'm mixed on this. Astrea is 100% a real name with a cool history, Finch is a last-name-turned-first, but the new baby's name... isn't a thing. Might as well call it Apple.

I've worked with a guy named Cove. He seemed pretty normal and well-adjusted, it's certainly not a common name but it's definitely a valid one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

teen witch posted:

this dude is allergic to more than one paragraph so I’ve spaced it a bit out

M29 discovered my fiancée F23 is a narcissist

First comment:

OPs reply:
This dude got hosed up in the head by a narcissist, I don't doubt it, but is also consuming way too much armchair internet psych bullshit about NPD. Just liking one video about it that described some people I was stuck with ended up flooding my recommends and they get really loving hyperbolic really fast. You'd think these NPD abuse survivors were describing the loving Krampus.

Poor guy is absolutely not ready for a real relationship.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Come out ye red and tans

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Mx. posted:

If OP had said she was like an anime fan who can't name 3 Evangelion characters, Reddit would've got the torches and pitchforks out for that woman.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

This dude got hosed up in the head by a narcissist, I don't doubt it, but is also consuming way too much armchair internet psych bullshit about NPD. Just liking one video about it that described some people I was stuck with ended up flooding my recommends and they get really loving hyperbolic really fast. You'd think these NPD abuse survivors were describing the loving Krampus.

Read that as NYPD at first and nodded along.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

teen witch posted:

Come out ye red and tans

"*Grips abdomen* Really feels like someone's setting off car bombs in there!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

If OP had said she was like an anime fan who can't name 3 Evangelion characters, Reddit would've got the torches and pitchforks out for that woman.

Uh the Sad boy, the sad girl and the uh uh uh, Sad other girl with different color hair?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Uh the Sad boy, the sad girl and the uh uh uh, Sad other girl with different color hair?

Which sad boy? The one that beats off into his hand to his unconscious friend in the hospital?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

People can refuse to accept awards for many reasons, some good, some bad, some bullshit and some petty. Marlon Brando and Kevin Sheedy being famous examples. But this guy is refusing an award for reasons he himself doesn't know or understand, because he is cargo-culting a blockbuster movie.

"A dude did this thing in a corporate-branded movie I saw. So if I do that thing, then I will be cool and virtuous, just like the movie."

Also guessing that he didn't just politely decline the award, or return it with a "I can't accept this as I don't believe in awards.". But instead made a scene and/or tried to explain his half understood reasons that "I saw it in a movie so I won't take your godless plaque." etc.

I'd be on his side if he understood why he was refusing his little work award, or could give a better reason than "I'm a Marvel fan and someone in a Marvel movie did it". But he can't, so I laugh at him.

The VILLAIN in the movie did it. He isn't even barely media-literate in the movie he's referring to, it's particularly baffling. He's ruined part of his life over a throw-away line about the nazi-related villain.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Barudak posted:

Niece please, Im tired, its ok you dont need to thank me. <niece does a perfect Stone Cold Hugger>

Oh god, you're not wrong. The other one is on the top rope readying a moonsault. Just throughly clowning on me.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mx. posted:

That reminds of this fine gentleman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z-dbFhQBmQ
And also Paulie Walnuts in Italy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Barudak posted:

I'm so jealous.

My niece is turning 12 this year and she doesn't even know how to do a Russian Leg Sweep, let alone a Stone Cold Stunner.

We are all so ashamed of her.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Mx. posted:

RITA

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hughlander posted:

This is the most infuriating OP I've read in a very long time, but I'm posting it for the first reply:

The Hero we need:

I absolutely loved reading “those kids were raised by a wolfpack” and then realizing that it was meant positively, as an expression of pride.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

dervinosdoom posted:

When I watch my nieces, it's much less tea party and much more Wrestlemania. Thankfully they're not big enough to chokeslsm but drat do they know how to elbow drop me.

Hopefully they learned from the best, Macho Man Randy Savage.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

followup: I just googled it and yes this man torpedo'd his career because of a cartoon vampire

I was impressed that marvel was giving props to Lê Đức Thọ but I guess that was too much to hope for

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Kuros posted:

Hopefully they learned from the best, Macho Man Randy Savage.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

There’s like… narcissistic abuse YouTubers and influencers and poo poo. I had a therapist who ostensibly focused on issues stemming from ADHD but was super quick to armchair diagnose my passive aggressive supervisor as a narcissist. I had to kick out/sever from someone for taking punitive measures on my cat, and the therapist was like, “if she’s a narcissist you have to be super careful because they’ll stop at nothing to get back at you!!” Lol, no. They’re not Michael Myers, geez.

I don’t really trust the OP. His examples are weird (she wears too much makeup?) and there’s not really enough context to even give much advice (aside from dump her, obv).

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Can't believe you passed on "Bloody Sunday."

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Crocobile posted:

There’s like… narcissistic abuse YouTubers and influencers and poo poo. I had a therapist who ostensibly focused on issues stemming from ADHD but was super quick to armchair diagnose my passive aggressive supervisor as a narcissist. I had to kick out/sever from someone for taking punitive measures on my cat, and the therapist was like, “if she’s a narcissist you have to be super careful because they’ll stop at nothing to get back at you!!” Lol, no. They’re not Michael Myers, geez.

Absolutely not whatsoever. This is so misguided and naive. Your therapist is absolutely right. I have been in relationships with back to back narcissists after growing up with an abusive narcissistic parent and not only were they abusive, the exes obsessed over me for years after I called them out and broke up with them. I had to file restraining orders against both of them. Narcissists are very dangerous and usually have secondary compounding mental health issues. Do not underestimate their power and capacity to blindside and harm you.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

They totally can be, but armchair diagnosing multiple people I had bad interactions with as NPD and quickly jumping to 11 was not the correct move from my therapist.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Isn’t that wildly unethical :thunk:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Crocobile posted:

They totally can be, but armchair diagnosing multiple people I had bad interactions with as NPD and quickly jumping to 11 was not the correct move from my therapist.

Two things can be true: Actual NPD folks are dangerous, and independently, internet armchair psychologists have created a trend where people label anyone they have a negative experience with as a narcissist.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

shoeberto posted:

Two things can be true: Actual NPD folks are dangerous, and independently, internet armchair psychologists have created a trend where people label anyone they have a negative experience with as a narcissist.

This is exactly what someone with NPD would want us to believe!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not wanting to pay for dinner?

quote:

Typing this out sounds insane and I really don’t think I’m in the wrong but I need to know. A friend invited me to a dinner party at her house a few weeks ago, the actual dinner party was last night. I asked if I should bring anything, but she said no, it’s not a potluck, she’ll be making dinner for everyone. There were 7 of us total and the food was good. During the mea we were all laughing and called our friend (dinner host) a chef cause she made a big dinner for all of us and we al said how much we appreciated it because it’s hard to get everyone together at the same time.

At the end of dinner we all help clean, was the dishes, then have some wine. It started getting late so people started to head out, and on our way out the dinner host said don’t forget to Venmo/cash app/ zelle her. Some of us were confused because we had no idea what we had to send her. So I ask her “what am I sending you money for” and she said for cooking dinner.

Me: I don’t understand why we should pay?

Her: because I spent my money and hosted the dinner and cooked.

Me: None of us asked you to, you volunteered to do it and you never mentioned paying until now.

Her: I didn’t do this for free

Me: you should’ve told us before you hosted that you expected this. I don’t think it’s fair to just bring this up and expect people to pay.

She called me an rear end in a top hat and said again that she didn’t spend hours to cook, grocery shop for free. I have never heard of this. Like ever. We kept arguing and after a while I just Venmo’d her the $40 she asked for.

I don’t think I’m the rear end in a top hat at all and some of my friends agree with me. Some have said it’s normal to pay for dinner during a dinner party at someone’s house, so now I’m not sure.

Edit: A lot of you have asked what she made, and it was some salad I’ve never heard of, the main course was smoked gouda mashed potatoes with beef short ribs. A desert I forgot the name of (I think she said she bought this from a bakery). She also made vegan mash potatoes and vegan “ribs” for one of our friends who is vegan. She also made (bought?) chicken skewers as the appetizer.

Even though she said not to bring anything, I brought rum cake from my local bakery. And yes, everyone brought something small. We also had charcuterie and cheese board that two of the girls brought. Some girls brought wine and we even had one girl bring candles to set the mood.

We are in the US and none of are European. I spoke with some of the others and although they had paid for a dinner party before, it was discussed first. No one has ever done what this friend did which was spring an unexpected cost on us.

All of us are in our early 30s.

The group chat is going crazy right now because everyone is pissed at her.

ah poo poo, rent's due on monday, i'd better have a garage sale throw a dinner party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Mother of the year's logic is absolutely sending me. Check out of her kids lives for 3 years, decide "Well it's not like they can forget me any more than they already have" and extend that to a decade, then come back and complain that you can't just check back into Motherhood?