Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
temenos is a rude boy but he's also cute so it's ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

30 hours in did I bother to learn that Cassti has an offensive skill.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Combo posted:

Yeah I stole crepe or something in one of the eastern continent towns and it turned out to be for a side quest near Osvald's chapter 3. Thing is I have no idea when I picked it up, I was just stealing randomly from people.

The little girl seemed excited to have a month old crepe that a group of people have been carrying around though, so that's nice.

I gave her the crepe and it didn’t seem to complete the quest! That’s one I need to look up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I gave her the crepe and it didn’t seem to complete the quest! That’s one I need to look up.

Try using Inquire/Scrutinize on her.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am also confused about the girl in Crackridge at night who just runs into the wilderness when you try to talk to her. I'm half-convinced she's a ghost or something.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arist posted:

I am also confused about the girl in Crackridge at night who just runs into the wilderness when you try to talk to her. I'm half-convinced she's a ghost or something.

Yeah I can’t figure it out. Someone said it was part of a side quest but like, which one? :iiam:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I assumed she was involved with the hint you get from the cleric license guy if you ask about gear, but it turns out that was referring to the StUfFeD tOy kid, so now I'm blankin again.

I've also done all the sidequests (except the superboss one, gently caress that noise), and I'm pretty sure I haven't helped her out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Gesicht posted:

30 hours in did I bother to learn that Cassti has an offensive skill.

Imo she's the best to make an inventor

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm generally trying to avoid spoiling myself on basically anything, but can someone tell me what level the temple in Eastern Sai Sands is? The one you need to enter with a one-person party? I'd hate to make the trek out there only to discover I have to come back later because I'm too baby.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Level 40, IIRC.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

I'm generally trying to avoid spoiling myself on basically anything, but can someone tell me what level the temple in Eastern Sai Sands is? The one you need to enter with a one-person party? I'd hate to make the trek out there only to discover I have to come back later because I'm too baby.

About 40 I think, but the main difficulty is that you need to have a reliable source of shield break. So if you haven't finished your main character's story, depending on their job you may need to give them Dancer just so they can have it as an option.

I'm working my way through the Chapter 3s (not counting Ochette since hers are special cases) and I'm definitely starting to fall behind the recommended level curve a bit. Might need to go do a little Cait/Octopuff hunting.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ApplesandOranges posted:

About 40 I think, but the main difficulty is that you need to have a reliable source of shield break. So if you haven't finished your main character's story, depending on their job you may need to give them Dancer just so they can have it as an option.

I'm working my way through the Chapter 3s (not counting Ochette since hers are special cases) and I'm definitely starting to fall behind the recommended level curve a bit. Might need to go do a little Cait/Octopuff hunting.

This is the boss I was complaining about, Karma. You have to be able to break him quickly or he will instantly kill you, he also has a stance where he has one shield point but no weakness. It was tough but I managed it with the absurdly strong dagger I stole off a little girl in Winterbloom.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Same actually.

There's also one where you knock a guy out to prevent him from going and gambling his money away but that didn't finish the quest either, I need to dig more into some of the side quests.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Left town and couldn't change day to night, didn't think too much about it until I got ran into an enemy that was labeled Shadowy and way more powerful than the area normally is. That's something new holy crap.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Combo posted:

Same actually.

There's also one where you knock a guy out to prevent him from going and gambling his money away but that didn't finish the quest either, I need to dig more into some of the side quests.

Inquire is your friend.

Or I guess Scrutinize/Bribe/Coerce if you want to be rude about it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean Bribe isn't being rude, it's giving them money for information.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I love Inquiring someone and it's like "This man spends every waking hour in a tavern to forget how terrible his life is" and Castti just gives a polite little "That was very helpful" and happily runs off.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved when I got to Clockbank and started Scrutinizing and quickly realized every man, woman, and child in that town sucks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Combo posted:

Same actually.

Nah, the wife says she wanted to show him proof that the games were rigged. Go check out the game parlor at night.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

I loved when I got to Clockbank and started Scrutinizing and quickly realized every man, woman, and child in that town sucks.

Honestly most towns have some kind of bad in them, even Oresdale. I think the only one that's free of some kind of bad influence is Cropdale.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Clockbank is very funny because literally everyone has a dark secret except for the guard who's like "i'm so glad everyone here is so nice!"

Conning Creek is another funny place where everyone has a special octopus dish. There's also the guy who has a hilariously high summon count and you find out it's because he just wants to be someone's pal :smith:.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey now, Clockbank also has the clockwork repair guy and Catharine, both of whom are entirely upstanding folk.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've only started like 1 chapter 3, this is probably super early game still?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Speaking of Inquire stuff, it's kinda creepy/sad that (Throné chapter 3 spoilers) all the kids just have reference number: as their info

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hey now, Clockbank also has the clockwork repair guy and Catharine, both of whom are entirely upstanding folk.

Agreed, Catharine is purrfect.

I’ve started actually reading all the scrutinize/inquiry flavor text and the amount of detail they put into this game is unreal. Someone had a lot of fun writing all of those.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Clockbank has a grandma who used to be a master thief and her grandkid who aspires to be a master thief in secret

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve started actually reading all the scrutinize/inquiry flavor text and the amount of detail they put into this game is unreal. Someone had a lot of fun writing all of those.

If you're not actually reading that text you're missing out. Hell, that stuff was one of the highlights of the first game, and this game goes much further with it due to stuff like Clockbank.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

The flavor text for NPCs is definitely one of my favorite aspects. Cute little snippets like the trio of aspiring stars who each like one but dislike the other, or the beastling who sneaks into the library at night because she has a hunger for knowledge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The first game had it but this game really does a better job with making the NPCs feel more like they exist in a world. There's all kinds of interconnected plots and references and so-on so it makes the world feel genuinely lived in, especially because you'll occasionally run into a dude who seems normal and then you find out he was formerly GonadCrusher, the top-ranked gladiator of all time who retired to run a fish shop.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Or an old guy just chilling around in a quaint town, and you find a powerful dagger on him and find out he used to be a renowned assassin.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The first game had it but this game really does a better job with making the NPCs feel more like they exist in a world. There's all kinds of interconnected plots and references and so-on so it makes the world feel genuinely lived in, especially because you'll occasionally run into a dude who seems normal and then you find out he was formerly GonadCrusher, the top-ranked gladiator of all time who retired to run a fish shop.

Or the guy guarding the spear in Timberain who was a complete badass soldier.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/softandworm/status/1633549177069408256?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

The first game had it but this game really does a better job

Fixed that for you

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Merchant is such a good job to pump JP into because full Latent gauge at the start of every battle is great for just about everyone.

Castti and Agnea obviously have really good combos with it but I just like having Partitio being able to get 4-5 attacks right off the bat or throw out a full powered buff or debuff.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Final boss down; getting that win was drat cathartic after a few failed setups and some grinding.

Epilogue: The segment of everyone leaving in the order you recruited them...drat. I really want to see the different scenes; Tenemos was the last to leave with Throne as my MC, and he said "there's something I wish to say to you, but...I will tell you the next time we meet."

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 8, 2023

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't know why, but I didn't expect the last boss of Temenos' story to just go full Bloodborne form. And then the defeat sprite afterwards. Goddamn.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I have not had much time to play 2 yet, but so far it feels like more of 1 which is fine with me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wow, Castti's Chapter 2 boss in Winterbloom kicked my rear end even heavily overleveled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Only 12 hours in and I'm pretty sure this actually is the pinnacle of the classic JRPG in every way. The presentation is just incredible and the way it plays on tropes is far more clever than other recent games that try to do that. Like, this game makes bravely default 2 look like amateur hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Are there enemies that you can steal nuts from? I've exhausted all the NPCs at this point and my Hikari's around 300 attack lower than most guides for this superboss. Shouldn't have gone all in on Throne and Ochette's attack...