Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I had two cars cut me off in the span of a few minutes in the bike lane without signalling. I got it on video, so I posted it in a bike group. Some of the responses I got told me to:
a) Bike on the sidewalk since it's dangerous to be on the road
b) Not freak out so much since it's not a big deal if a driver forgets to signal once in a while
c) Wear high viz clothing
d) Never pass a car on the right just in case it's turning

and at least one person assumed I was faking it for internet clout. And this is in a cycling ground, I assume that if I posted that in a driving group a bunch of them would have a heart attack out of anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

I had two cars cut me off in the span of a few minutes in the bike lane without signalling. I got it on video, so I posted it in a bike group. Some of the responses I got told me to:
a) Bike on the sidewalk since it's dangerous to be on the road
b) Not freak out so much since it's not a big deal if a driver forgets to signal once in a while
c) Wear high viz clothing
d) Never pass a car on the right just in case it's turning

and at least one person assumed I was faking it for internet clout. And this is in a cycling ground, I assume that if I posted that in a driving group a bunch of them would have a heart attack out of anger.
A lot of cyclists, especially ones who have been brainwashed by "vehicular cycling", have a tendency to immediately start victim blaming other cyclists in any accident or near accident, which I think is partly because people want to think that they're magically safe from cars as long as they perform the correct rituals

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Almost got creamed by a car turning in the crosswalk twice this morning. One of em was a pickup truck doing a left turn that stopped like a couple feet short of me lol. Dipshit should never have passed his driver's test
I’ve biked in 40 mph winds. It’s a badass experience, and the only actually dangerous thing about is the cars. If you can survive living in a place, you can survive walking or biking in that place, at least of the cars don’t kill you.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ensign Expendable posted:

I assume that if I posted that in a driving group a bunch of them would have a heart attack out of anger.
Please do the needful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A guy in my local subreddit pissed his pants and said cyclists should be banned because they piss everyone off "when they ride between stopped cars to get to the front." Cyclists filter like that to avoid dying in squeeze crashes. Dude is pissed about something cyclists do that doesn't hurt anyone and prevents them from dying needlessly.

Just more evidence that driver resentment of cyclists is over cyclists moving faster than they do in city traffic.

https://twitter.com/Doc4Dead/status/1633064194529710080?t=JMYIZesDFkNnGdz1UaHpsg&s=19

The slightest pushback gets a torrent of "that's proper braking distance for the car!!!"

mystes
May 31, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

The slightest pushback gets a torrent of "that's proper braking distance for the car!!!"
I guess it's the responsibility of the vehicle in front to ensure the car tailgating it has enough braking distance now?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its good to leave proper following distance imo. if someon gets into that space i just slow down a little bit until proper spacing is re-established. not that hard.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lobster shirt posted:

its good to leave proper following distance imo. if someon gets into that space i just slow down a little bit until proper spacing is re-established. not that hard.

counterpoint: it sucks waiting at an intersection on a bike for cars to clear and everyone is like 5-10+ car lengths apart with straggler grannies even further back yet another 10 car lengths. whereas if all cars had just clustered together 1-car apart it would save so much more time and make it easier for everyone. or when a crosswalk gets blocked and all the cars are spaced 10-feet apart and could easily condense. most <30 urban driving would be much better for peds and cyclists (and even drivers) if cars followed approximately ~1-2 car lengths apart maximum and stuck together as one big train instead of straggling all over the place.

like you actually aren't helping anyone leaving 8 car-spaces of distance between you

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

lobster shirt posted:

*slows down to a complete stop as an infinite amount of aggressive drivers merge in front of you*

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Xaris posted:

counterpoint: it sucks waiting at an intersection on a bike for cars to clear and everyone is like 5-10+ car lengths apart with straggler grannies even further back yet another 10 car lengths. whereas if all cars had just clustered together 1-car apart it would save so much more time and make it easier for everyone. or when a crosswalk gets blocked and all the cars are spaced 10-feet apart and could easily condense. most <30 urban driving would be much better for peds and cyclists (and even drivers) if cars followed approximately ~1-2 car lengths apart maximum and stuck together as one big train instead of straggling all over the place.

like you actually aren't helping anyone leaving 8 car-spaces of distance between you

1-2 car lengths is perfectly appropriate for speeds less than 30 mph

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lobster shirt posted:

ok good, then yes. agreed. usually 1-1.5 is good and also good at discouraging people from doing stupid poo poo

unfortunately it's binary between either 0 or 100 feet and no in between. probably because everyone is on their phones 24/7

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i just try to follow the three second rule in general. i mean i'm not going to accelerate to top speed if nobody is in front of me but yeah if someone cuts in front of me i'm not going to like idle until theres a thousand feet of distance either.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

yeah i just try to follow the three second rule in general. i mean i'm not going to accelerate to top speed if nobody is in front of me but yeah if someone cuts in front of me i'm not going to like idle until theres a thousand feet of distance either.

I asked a couple people to count 3 seconds in the last few months and neither of them started from 0. does the average person understand what 3 seconds is?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cat botherer posted:

I’ve biked in 40 mph winds. It’s a badass experience, and the only actually dangerous thing about is the cars. If you can survive living in a place, you can survive walking or biking in that place, at least of the cars don’t kill you.

I loving hate biking in the wind, makes me feel weak as hell. Nothing ruins a good commute like feeling like a windsock.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

But biking with the wind behind you makes you feel like superman.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was looking for some reading material relevant to this thread, and was referred to the work of one Donald Shoup, who is considered one of the leading experts in the study of car usage, urban spaces, and specifically the question of car parking and how it shapes cities and communities.

My ebook service (Scribd) didn't carry any of his books, but it did lead me to "Parking: An International Perspective", a compilation of studies and essays across multiple authors, published by Elsevier Science, with an introduction by Shoup. Most work on urbanism is done by Westerners, and focuses on Western cities, if not specifically Americans, so this book tries to look at urbanism practices across the world.

Learning from parking reforms in other cities

Free parking along city streets ends up creating more traffic, because of all the cars that end up cruising the streets, looking for a free space to park in

In Bangkok, Thailand, free parking ends up creating a "parking mafia", where gangs (some suspected to be backed by the police) end up "managing" the "free parking" for a nominal fee, which is extortionary, and doesn't actually make the parking free

Tokyo bans on-street parking entirely, and also requires residents to prove that they own or they rent an off-street parking space as part of the process for applying to purchase a car. Both policies need to be in-place simultaneously, because if you require proof-of-parking, but you don't ban on-street parking, people will simply forge parking permits. The way Tokyo does it, even if you could somehow secure proof-of-parking, you're still going to be ticketed if you try to park on the street.

Eliminating on-street parking means that space can be reclaimed into becoming wider sidewalks, bus lanes, bike lanes, loading zones for public transportation, and so on.

Oslo similarly implemented a ban on on-street parking in its downtown area, as of 2019. On top of all the uses for the reclaimed space mentioned above, those parking spaces are being utilized by curbside cafes/restaurants, as well as public parks. Removing on-street parking also has the benefit of encouraging pedestrians, as well as filling the streets with people in general (free on-street parking is dangerous to people otherwise, due to prowling cars cruising for a free space with drivers that are not attentive on the road).

Amsterdam is gradually eliminating its on-street parking by refusing to renew on-street parking permits whenever a resident disposes of their car, moves away, or dies.

Century City in Los Angeles ahs also eliminated on-street parking

Acknowledging the political difficulty of implementing a direct, outright ban on parking, this chapter goes into methods of charging for on-street parking: the target is supposed to be "Goldilocks" - high enough that some drivers are discouraged from making use of the parking, but low enough that the spaces are actually utilized. Shoup has mentioned 80% utilization of parking as a good baseline in his other work.

In this sense, a fixed, all-day price is unhelpful, because it tends to be too high in times of low demand (say, the morning), but too low in times of high demand (say, in the afternoon/early evening), and then you get cruisers in the latter.

An example of a city that works around this is LA and San Francisco: they charge one rate from noon to 3:00 PM, and a different rate for the rest of the day. Every six weeks, the rate gets recomputed: if the occupancy rate for a block is higher than 80% over the previous six weeks, the hourly rate is increased by 25 cents. If the occupancy rate is below 60% over the previous six weeks, the hourly rate is decreased by 25 cents.

Sidebar posted:

Urbanism is going to be a fairly liberal, market-driven topic, just as a function of the ideology we find ourselves living in. This is not necessarily an endorsement of the broad politics espoused by these authors or their studies.

Another policy cited is from Auckland, New Zealand - it used to be that drivers would could only park for two hours, but that was a hard limit, and drivers were risking a ticket if they stayed for longer than that. Instead, they switched to a model where parking would cost 4.50 NZD for the first two hours, and then 9.00 NZD for every succeeding hour. The high cost discouraged overnight parking and similar long-occupancy, but without the carceral or punitive implications of having drivers risk a ticket.

Santiago, Chile instead has a system by which the first 30 minutes of parking has a flat charge, but then drivers are charged by the minute afterwards. The chapter also suggests there is some kind of smartphone integration by which drivers can use their phone to pay only for the exact amount of the time that they're parking, which was fouind to be "fairer and more efficient" than having people pre-pay for a block of time and then having people rush back to their cars before they exceed it.

Another issue discussed was collection of parking fees: a study of on-street parking revenue for Beijing, China, revealed that the city was only getting about 20% of what it should have been, based on actual occupancy measured. Instead, cities like Rotterdam, Nairobi, and Shenzen, use smartphone apps, usually bound to car license plates, to track parking charges, and this ends up being fairer and more efficient than older methods.

Miami Beach was mentioned as offering cheaper parking rates for residents, compared to non-residents, as a means of making parking reforms more politically palatable while reducing total road use by encouraging trips closer to home.

Madrid was mentioned as providing parking discounts for vehicles that adhere to higher/stricter emissions standards.

Calgary was mentioned as providing discounts for vehicles that consume less curb space.

Continuing on the topic of creating political appeal, Pasadena, Mexico City, and Bangalore, were all mentioned as publishing the finances of their parking revenues especially transparent, in order to drive home the sentiment that the local community benefits directly from parking reforms due to re-investment into the community.

Another policy is progressive parking fines - Singapore learned the lesson that a flat parking fine is either so cheap that repeat offenders can simply eat the cost of multiple violations, but setting the fine to be high can be unduly punishing for one-off, inadvertent violations. By starting with a warning-only, and then ramping up penalties for repeated offenses, violation penalties can be made fairer while still discouraging the actual violations.

The next section of this chapter talks about minimum parking requirements as the devil in urban development - it subsidizes cars, increases development costs, discourages public transportation (both use and creation), creates urban sprawl, and damages walkability.

By forcing all development to carry some minimum amount of parking, density of urban development is necessarily reduced - Los Angeles is cited as an example some 56 office buildings sat empty and unused until a limited-scope policy was implemented exempting these spaces from minimum parking requirements. Once that was done, the offices were converted into 7,300 new units of housing, which would not have been possible otherwise.

Bangkok is cited as an nightmare example: a mixed-use property with over 100,000 square meters of floor space unfortunately had to be built with 2,000 parking spaces, even though the mall itself is connected to a subway station. Another mall, Siam Paragon Department Store, is located at the heart of the Bangkok commercial district and has a direct connection to the largest public transportation terminal in the city, but still had to be built with 4,000 parking spaces.

A study in Melbourne found that 96% of automobile trips in the city ended in a free parking space, but the cost is passed-on to pedestrians (and cyclists, and transit commuters), who have to constantly dodge cars weaving in and out of parking lots and garages. Making parking free increases car use, while charging the construction cost of the parking structures back to the public.

Minimum parking requirements also causes landlords to bundle the cost of the parking space into the rent for a property, which drives up the rent. If, instead, there were always fewer parking spaces than there are housing units, then these things would be unbundled, reducing costs while also discouraging car ownership.

The alternative proposed by the end of this chapter is maximum parking limits: by capping the amount of parking spaces that a property should come with, and especially when this maximum is lower than what a previously-existing minimum parking limit would have prescribed, many of the negative effects can be reversed.

Sao Paulo found that its development costs saw a significant decrease, and development occurred closer to the city center, once its minimum parking requirements were replaced with a maximum.

Mexico City found that 42% of all construction in the city between 2009 and 2013 was for parking: in response to this finding, they replaced it with a maximum policy.

Finally, Singapore has a policy by which parking spaces past a certain point start counting towards a building's floor-to-area ratio, which ends up causing developers to treat the "free" allotment as a maximum, and build no parking spaces beyond that, and this has yielded a decrease in development costs.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

B+

Good job applying yourself!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

Around here, if you leave some space between you and the car you're following, people will lose their loving minds and zoom past you to jam into that space.

A few months back I was driving on this stretch approaching the left exit, left a car length between me and a school bus in front of me. Guy behind me flipped his poo poo, passed me in the right lane, and slammed his car into the exit with barely two feet to spare in front of my bumper.

People are maniacs.

Apr 7, 2003

Just yesterday I was on a four lane + center turning lane road, signed for 25mph, in the left lane (left turn in 600 feet). Guy was crossing the road mid-block so I slowed down to make room for him, he was passing right to left.

Guy behind me did the same poo poo, moved into the right lane and passed me at 60+

If the ped were crossing left to right he'd have hit him.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm really sick of drivers and their poo poo!!!!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just yesterday I was on a four lane + center turning lane road, signed for 25mph, in the left lane (left turn in 600 feet). Guy was crossing the road mid-block so I slowed down to make room for him, he was passing right to left.

Guy behind me did the same poo poo, moved into the right lane and passed me at 60+

If the ped were crossing left to right he'd have hit him.

Well this is why jaywalking is a capital crime

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

My wife and I share one car and we've only put 848 miles on it since mid-November. that rules

most of my trips are within a half mile of my house. and most of those are to one of the 2 grocery stores in that half mile. I've only had to use my car once this week, which was to go to band practice in another town.

although I'm lucky enough that my house is both within a half mile of a bougie shopping area and also there's a path I can take that facilitates walking.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this is your brain on cars:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
"Do you know who else walked?"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
well that's certainly a take.

Apr 7, 2003

we're going to find out that these campaigns against 15 minute cities were paid for by car companies at some point and it's going to be funny

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

we're going to find out that these campaigns against 15 minute cities were paid for by car companies at some point and it's going to be funny

We basically already know. They've been winding the toy for decades, now watch it go.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

everybody in poland owned cars in 1944 except for the jews, and they drove them everywhere

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The "when you drive alone, you drive with Hitler" poster, except it's "when you bicycle, you bicycle with Hitler."

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Forced a lifted pick up with 30" rims to drive slowly behind me while cycling through the neighborhood.

edit: Rode my bike again to go to the grocery store and a large box truck blocked the side walk. Driver actually backed up and let me through. I don't know what it is exactly about my area of the city that makes drivers less psychotic. I move a mile north or south and drivers go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Mar 9, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ham Equity posted:

The "when you drive alone, you drive with Hitler" poster, except it's "when you bicycle, you bicycle with Hitler."

Hitler riding on the pegs like middle schoolers riding to the gas station

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mawarannahr posted:

I asked a couple people to count 3 seconds in the last few months and neither of them started from 0. does the average person understand what 3 seconds is?

Bruh how long does it take you to count zero seconds

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Lol suburb city. Just subdivision after subdivision, sprinkle in some strip mall

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Show them a screen shot of any random Chinese man or post-Soviet city and wait for the screaming.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Thanks for all the info! I really wonder how you get to a point where solutions like this can actually be implemented. What kind of community orgs actually pull this off, and how?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

is this cities skylines or some other game?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

:therapy:

mystes
May 31, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

It's Suburban NIMBY Simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

lobster shirt posted:

thats pokemon