Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I finally finished Deadwood, and Deadwood: The Motion Picture. Pretty good show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

I had high hopes for that bill in Congress that would’ve eliminated standard time.

Alas.

Look they have real priorities like banning TikTok, shooting down 10k$ balloons with multimillion dollar missiles and playing brinksmanship with loan defaults.

They don’t have time to do that thing that all Americans actually want them to do.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Abugadu posted:

I do, they shipped me out here for new atty orientation, and they’re sending me again next month for training.

Racking up FF miles and neck problems

Gat drat I'll say so, well good for you.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Gat drat I'll say so, well good for you.

Thank you, enjoying it.

Also, from the highway, it seems like every house in Virginia is colonial-style.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

Look they have real priorities like banning TikTok, shooting down 10k$ balloons with multimillion dollar missiles and playing brinksmanship with loan defaults.

They don’t have time to do that thing that all Americans actually want them to do.
The balloons were like $100 to maybe a thousand dollars, not 10 thousand dollars.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My day was kind of crappy because work has been super busy and my kid has been constipated, but I found out he pooped at daycare today so I don’t have to break out the suppository I bought this morning. So now it’s not so bad!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The balloons were like $100 to maybe a thousand dollars, not 10 thousand dollars.

The balloons were carrying spying equipment maybe?

But also bullets aren't an option for shooting down weather balloons at 40k feet.

quote:

The military and Biden administration got some blowback for using $400,000 Sidewinders to take down four balloons, three of which are likely "benign" objects. But "the military's ability to respond to balloons and similar craft is constrained by physics and the capabilities of current weapons," The Washington Post reports, and you can't really pop a giant balloon with gunfire at 40,000 feet.

"You can fill a balloon full of bullet holes, and it's going to stay at altitude," David Deptula, a retired Air Force lieutenant general and fighter pilot, tells the Post. The air pressure that high up doesn't allow helium to freely escape through small holes, even if fighter jets flying by at hundreds of miles per hour can riddle the near-stationary balloon with bullets.

Canada figured that out the hard way in 1998, when it tried to bring down a giant runaway weather balloon launched from Saskatchewan to measure ozone levels, CBC News recalled right after the Chinese spy balloon incident. "Canadian CF-18 fighter jet pilots caught up with the balloon off the coast of Newfoundland and took aim, firing more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition at it. But the balloon survived the assault, soldiering on over the North Atlantic," floating above British, Norwegian, and Russian airspace before finally crashing in Finland.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

The balloons were carrying spying equipment maybe?

But also bullets aren't an option for shooting down weather balloons at 40k feet.

We specifically didn't shoot down the Chines spy balloon while it travelled across the entire North American continent and waited until it was over open water so it wouldn't crash on to anyone, then ruined like three different hobbyists science experiment at a half mil each.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Replacement electric dryer delivered, bedding in washing machine, vegan pizza eaten for lunch.

Today's on the upswing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

We specifically didn't shoot down the Chines spy balloon while it travelled across the entire North American continent and waited until it was over open water so it wouldn't crash on to anyone, then ruined like three different hobbyists science experiment at a half mil each.

Yeah I feel like after getting hammered for not shooting down the first balloon the administration just totally capitulated to the bullshit criticism and now we're just shooting down anything.

I also think it's a little silly to line-item expenses for our vast military, like those 400k sidewinders are each specifically going to cost taxpayers exactly that much, vs. actually we just procure a thousand of them every ten years or whatever and they either get used or their shelf life expires and they get dismantled or blown up in a bunker somewhere.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Amy Pole Her posted:

hows everyone elses day

Today marks my 2-year anniversary at my current job. It's currently meh. My new manager (Who is an idiot) hosed up some setting in our new phone system (Dialpad) and it resulted in our team getting alert emails literally every minute for about 3 hours today.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

I knew they were comparatively cheap and I was trying to be somewhat fair thinking they were more expensive than small weather balloons. The point remains.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

Replacement electric dryer delivered, bedding in washing machine, vegan pizza eaten for lunch.

Today's on the upswing.

No wings 0/10

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
booked a flight on Breeze Airways (which I hadn't heard of before) for the end of the month to go see the kid and grandbaby. Curious to see how this airline is, the tickets were a pretty amazing price for direct flights.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Gonna yell in to the uncaring void that deadlines are deadlines and county doesn't give a poo poo about why you can't make them, no matter how hard I try to make it work.

On the plus side, I'm going to try out Wellbutrin and have a sleep study referral from the psychiatrist. We'll see how this goes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JPrime posted:

booked a flight on Breeze Airways (which I hadn't heard of before) for the end of the month to go see the kid and grandbaby. Curious to see how this airline is, the tickets were a pretty amazing price for direct flights.

Oh god we’ve reached grandchild chat in the tff:ct

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice
she was born last june and she's the cutest baby on the planet thank you very much :colbert:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JPrime posted:

she was born last june and she's the cutest baby on the planet thank you very much :colbert:

Wow. Congrats!

I think you won the race.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

Wow. Congrats!

I think you won the race.

to be fair i had my first kid at 18 so i had a hell of a head start

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wish I had kids earlier in life instead of waiting til my mid 30s. It would be cool to be in your prime still when your kids grow up

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Imagine being 50 when your first kid graduates…….crap

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

I wish I had kids earlier in life instead of waiting til my mid 30s. It would be cool to be in your prime still when your kids grow up

I did that but then I had another one later and now my oldest will be out of the house when I turn 40 but my youngest will only be 4.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

a sexual elk posted:

I will be 51.

But it’s ok because we are healthy (for now) and I would’ve been an awful parent if I’d had kids in my early/mid 20s. Plus we took 4yrs to be just married and together. 3 if you count from when we started trying to have a kiddo.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

I will be 51.

And a professional engineer!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife and I had a few talks a couple of years ago about how it was basically our last chance to change our minds and decide to have kids. If we'd done it then, our kids would be graduating when we were in our early 60s. Kinda sucks to think about your kids only having a few adult years with you maybe before you get elderly and infirm and maybe need them to support you or maybe you're gone.

Then again if you asked them, they'd rather have existed than not, and if you'd had kids at any other time they'd be different kids. In the end your kids won't wish you'd been older or younger.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

And a professional engineer!

I’ll certainly get a first-hand look at potential ageism when I’m 41/42 applying for coops, or 43 applying for entry-level engineering positions.

I keep telling myself I’ll be way more mature, prepared, reliable and put-together than a 22yo kid but I know there will be folks biased against me. Should be an adventure.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

I’ll certainly get a first-hand look at potential ageism when I’m 41/42 applying for coops, or 43 applying for entry-level engineering positions.

I keep telling myself I’ll be way more mature, prepared, reliable and put-together than a 22yo kid but I know there will be folks biased against me. Should be an adventure.

Just point out no 22 year old will be able to resuscitate any of the old fucks who have a heart attack on the job like you can.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The local outdoor volunteer group is doing CPR training this weekend and I’m thinking about signing up. Always seemed like a good thing to have.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

The local outdoor volunteer group is doing CPR training this weekend and I’m thinking about signing up. Always seemed like a good thing to have.

Bystander CPR is the most important thing. I’ve never had a neuro-intact save without good pre-arrival CPR or having witnessed the arrest and administered it myself.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

If you have a decent idea how to use Excel, Outlook, and Word, you'll be more appealing than new grads. Also if you go to a few office hours and gladhand with the professors, they could be a great in to an opening. They know half the students they pass are barely capable of fogging a mirror, so if you're getting face time and asking questions they'll know you're leaps and bounds ahead of the majority of the class.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

As long as you aren’t expecting to be paid like someone who has 20 years in that field, you’ll be fine. Some hiring managers will pass on your resumes, but plenty of them will also see you as someone they can count on if they can get you into the ecosystem of their company.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Freaquency posted:

Do it. It's incredibly easy to learn, and like LeeMajors said, is the single most important thing to have if there's even a hope of the person leaving the hospital intact.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

a sexual elk posted:

I'll be 56 when my kid graduates high school. I kind of wish I had my kid when I was like 34 instead of 37. Even those few years would've made it easier on me when I was dealing with no sleep because of the baby. Sometimes I think back to my 20's and view it mostly as wasted and think maybe I should've had a kid at 28 or something, but I am in way better financial shape now, plus I was definitely not mentally ready for that. Some days I'm surprised I even had a kid because I was pretty dead against it in my earlier years.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

If you have a decent idea how to use Excel, Outlook, and Word, you'll be more appealing than new grads. Also if you go to a few office hours and gladhand with the professors, they could be a great in to an opening. They know half the students they pass are barely capable of fogging a mirror, so if you're getting face time and asking questions they'll know you're leaps and bounds ahead of the majority of the class.

Thanks for the advice. I’m really self conscious about making sure I get the material down pat, so I’m most likely going to have to be careful not to annoy my professors too much. I do have a fair bit of experience in office suite but it’ll take some review. But I’m way way into the material because I’m so focused on getting out of healthcare.

No Butt Stuff posted:

As long as you aren’t expecting to be paid like someone who has 20 years in that field, you’ll be fine.

Oh that is not at all a thing I’m expecting. That would be insane haha.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Shoot, I’ll be 44 when my kid graduates high school, felt early to be having her when we did (not in the grand scheme but I was definitely the first of my friends to become a parent), but looking back it feels just about perfect, I don’t aim on having any more so it’ll be good to still have lots of active years empty nest, and I can still vaguely maintain the illusion that I have any relationship to young people.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice
whoa:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1633653623543459840

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

My stepkids were almost grown when I came on the scene, so I have four grandkids - 13, 11, 8, and 6.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

It's on local news sites here so him being booked is probably legit.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Tulalip Tulips posted:

It's on local news sites here so him being booked is probably legit.

ESPN just reported it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
My 6th grade teacher's sister dated him for a while in the early 90s. Crazy.

Welp that's my Shawn Kemp story.