Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You made a wet willy sound remarkably more offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

credburn posted:

I can never see the word "goober" and not think of the time my mom spit on her finger, stuck it in my tongue and told me it was a "cum goober"

This week on MILF Manor

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It is still weird to call that a cum goober but that's a lot better.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This isn't really related to anything, and I've said it before, but I'll always be kinda proud of my mom for giving me the sickest :iceburn: ever, when she said, just before slamming the door and driving drunkenly away to go do meth with the lady she was cheating on my dad with, "I should have swallowed you!"

edit: I guess I talk about my mom's shenanigans a lot. My avatar is something someone bought after I revealed my mother used to call me Nards as a way of embarrassing me in front of company.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
do you often find that you're at a party or something and you tell a funny story about your childhood, but instead of laughing, all your friends get really quiet and serious?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
My peeve right now is mobile game ads. Why do so many of them now have really hosed up scenarios? I keep getting two sets of ads, one showing a mother and daughter dying if you don't solve the puzzle and another of a small dragon being literally tortured. What the gently caress is wrong with these developers and how are these not super banned?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pomme de Terror posted:

My peeve right now is mobile game ads. Why do so many of them now have really hosed up scenarios? I keep getting two sets of ads, one showing a mother and daughter dying if you don't solve the puzzle and another of a small dragon being literally tortured. What the gently caress is wrong with these developers and how are these not super banned?
My issue with them is, how come they're allowed to make the button to close the ad so small and hard to hit? I accidentally open the play store probably through at least one ad in three - and if I do it once, it's likely I'll do it at least once more on the same ad because those buttons are loving impossible.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Mar 6, 2023

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

My issue with them is, how come they're allowed to make the button to close the ad so small and hard to hit? I accidentally open the play store probably through least one ad in three - and if I do it once, it's likely I'll do it at least once more on the same ad because those buttons are loving impossible.

What's worse is the fake "X"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Set your private DNS to dns.adguard.com and be almost entirely unbothered by mobile ads ever again. The ads in my daily solitaire game are replaced by black screens with a big X, or occasionally by static screens advertising other games from the same publisher. I never realized Duolingo even had ads until I had to turn off the DNS to use a certain intranet.

e: It doesn't work on YouTube, though. :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

A browser ad blocker plugin sually does, and thank God for it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Arrath posted:

A browser ad blocker plugin sually does, and thank God for it

For the best possible YouTube experience, you need uBlock Origin, Sponsorblock, YouTube NonStop and Enhancer for YouTube.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

For the best possible YouTube experience, you need uBlock Origin, Sponsorblock, YouTube NonStop and Enhancer for YouTube.
uBlock Origin alone does the trick for me on PC, but I'll check the others out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

uBlock Origin alone does the trick for me on PC, but I'll check the others out.

Sponsorblock skips past the ads that are part of the actual video. NonStop just clicks through the popup you get asking if you're still watching if you leave a playlist going (but also works for YouTube Music, where that popup is way more obnoxious because you're much more likely to want to set it going and leave it for hours at a time). Enhancer does a bunch of things, most of which you probably won't care about, but there's a decent chance that something in there will appeal to you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hirayuki posted:

Set your private DNS to dns.adguard.com and be almost entirely unbothered by mobile ads ever again. The ads in my daily solitaire game are replaced by black screens with a big X, or occasionally by static screens advertising other games from the same publisher. I never realized Duolingo even had ads until I had to turn off the DNS to use a certain intranet.

I like adblock.doh.mullvad.net, partially because I'm already using their VPN for various purposes and they're solid as hell.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The way whenever i blow my nose my ears need to repressurize 50 times in rapid succession

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When I sneeze at the exact same time a loud noise happens outside so I can't tell what it was or if I just imagined it. The last time it happened I thought it was nothing and ignored it but it was actually a car driving through the front of the store I live a couple of buildings away from.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pomme de Terror posted:

Friend if you’re interested have I got the mobile game for you

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was just enrolling in online banking for a new credit card and instead of 'save' on the new entry in my password vault I hit 'cancel' so now I'll have to reset the password on my account 3 minutes after opening it. Smooth move.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm not even really sure where to ask this so I'm framing it as a peeve:

Somewhere, at some time, I heard that mouthwash is a bullshit waste of time and money, and now every time I'm swishing mouthwash I wonder if I'm just going through the motions.

Does anyone know if mouthwash is actually efficacious or not? My mouth feels better after I use it, but that means nothing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nice breath is kind of worth it, if nothing else.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I've asked dentists and they have usually said that it doesn't really do anything significant in terms of dental health.

But yeah I feel like it leaves a fresh taste in my mouth for longer. And it's also convenient to swish some in the middle of the day if you feel like you have coffee breath.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I asked my dentist about that and he said that it does help to an extent, but there are some brands that don't actually kill bacteria and are just breath fresheners. It's been years so I can't remember what brands he listed.

I use good old fashioned brown Listerine and it definitely takes a lot longer for my mouth to start feeling gross.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Decades ago, a dental hygienist I dated briefly told me that the only one that really does anything in terms of killing bacteria is Listerine and that all the others were a waste of money.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Okay, thanks! I'll keep doing it then because I definitely enjoy the breath freshening part.

I figure it's gotta be going in and clearing out some biofilms under my tongue or some poo poo. Who knows? It's doing its job even if that job is Associate Director of Minty Placebos FX.

Also my phone did a complete update and it sucks. But the worst is that I used to be able to tap the wifi button in my menu and it would disconnect and reconnect. My phone tends to hang on the wi-fi and this would help. But now it takes me to the network setup menu. So my wi-fi still hangs but the two-second fix I used was just axed.

I swear there's no end to the petty little psychological war being waged against me

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Also my phone did a complete update and it sucks. But the worst is that I used to be able to tap the wifi button in my menu and it would disconnect and reconnect. My phone tends to hang on the wi-fi and this would help. But now it takes me to the network setup menu. So my wi-fi still hangs but the two-second fix I used was just axed.
Minor, incremental UI updates are one of the worst things about modern software. When you used to upgrade once a year (at most), you'd expect that there'd be a short period of adjustment to the new options and layout, but then you'd have learnt it and be fine until the next upgrade. Now that adjustment period literally never ends because updates are constant, and pointless, petty UI changes happen frequently and without warning.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And it's all like "enjoy your new software! :)"

Man, suck ma dick

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Making things now require one extra step is I think the only thing my phone does when it updates.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

credburn posted:

Making things now require one extra step is I think the only thing my phone does when it updates.

Hey now, sometimes they'll make basic features not work, as an additional little bonus. My last phone's do not disturb mode stopped working after an update.
So every night at 23 it would helpfully fire off a notification at full volume to notify me that it was entering do not disturb, as scheduled.
And then proceeded to not silence anything else either.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Brawnfire posted:

And it's all like "enjoy your new software! :)"

Man, suck ma dick

The best thing is when they take away features you weee relying on and they’re all like “we simplified it for you! :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MightyJoe36 posted:

Decades ago, a dental hygienist I dated briefly told me that the only one that really does anything in terms of killing bacteria is Listerine and that all the others were a waste of money.

Even better knowing Listerine started out as a feminine hygiene product :lol:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have the opposite problem - mouthwash, and the feeling of having used mouthwash, triggers my gag relax something fierce. Afterward I get to walk around just low key almost throwing up constantly for an hour or two. Idk how anyone does it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It started out as floor cleaner.

Then they went to feminine hygiene.

Then they invented halitosis as a marketing gimmick and sold it as mouth wash.

All without any major changes to the formula.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Killingyouguy! posted:

I have the opposite problem - mouthwash, and the feeling of having used mouthwash, triggers my gag relax something fierce. Afterward I get to walk around just low key almost throwing up constantly for an hour or two. Idk how anyone does it

fyi I had that problem and it turned out the problem was cancer in the larynx so I suggest getting it checked out

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Even betterer when you learn that "germs" in those old ads for douching with Listerine or Lysol was ladycode for "embryo."

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

fyi I had that problem and it turned out the problem was cancer in the larynx so I suggest getting it checked out

Thank you for your concern however if this were true of me then I've had larynx cancer for the past 20 years

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I certainly enjoyed the fun feature my phone had for a while where I told it to set an alarm for tomorrow morning, it told me that it had set an alarm for tomorrow morning, and then did not in any way set an alarm for tomorrow morning.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

docbeard posted:

I certainly enjoyed the fun feature my phone had for a while where I told it to set an alarm for tomorrow morning, it told me that it had set an alarm for tomorrow morning, and then did not in any way set an alarm for tomorrow morning.

My old phone used to do that, but only when I used voice controls to set the alarm. Say "hey google, set an alarm for 8:00" and it would pop up a thing saying it was done, but it wasn't. Using the touch controls worked fine though. :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I stopped using voice command because I was too stupid to remember to say "timer" instead of "alarm" and kept setting daily alarms to time cooking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I tried using this and it seemed great until I tried following a bit.ly link and discovered that they're blocked. :mad: