Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Nameless Pete posted:

Lois Lowry destroyed my love of learning.

Is this a vocal exercise?

I found that almost every book I had to read I hated. I revisited many of those books later and read them at my leisure and really enjoyed.

Except for A Wrinkle in Time. gently caress that dumb book, it was dumb when I had to read it as a kid and it was even dumber when I was an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I would annihilate a goose in combat. I would feel no compunction about taking it easy on it for the optics like I would with a small child or hot babe assassin. I’d spin kick its beak off like a looney tune.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Any movie that is being described as a "love letter" to anything is going to be really bad. I don't care what the oscars say.

As a addendum, any movie about the ~*magic of filmmaking/Hollywood*~ is automatically trash. If I wanted to watch someone jack off for two hours, I'd turn off my monitor.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

1stGear posted:

As a addendum, any movie about the ~*magic of filmmaking/Hollywood*~ is automatically trash. If I wanted to watch someone jack off for two hours, I'd turn off my monitor.

What about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Mullholland Drive, Wag the Dog, and Tropic Thunder?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm like a Disney princess but it only works on Canada geese. In fact just the other day these three were hanging out near my car as I was leaving work and I'm able to do the goose wahwah sounds accurate enough that they approach me and I tried to get them to get in the car and come home with me but they weren't having it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEox1_4vL8

If I charged a gorilla like that I'd get my arms ripped off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Gripweed posted:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

More of a regretful longing for a specific period of time in Hollywood and fantasizing about it staying. It's also Tarantino blatantly jacking off on screen, but at least he's honest about it.

quote:

Mullholland Drive, Wag the Dog

Haven't seen either, though I'm guessing David Lynch is going to have more interesting ideas than "Wow, isn't the movie business amazing" and present them in more interesting ways.

quote:

Tropic Thunder?

Absolutely is not a saccharine depiction of the wonders of filmmaking.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've got a hard time thinking of any film about making movies that's saccharine. Even the most positive show how exhausting and hosed the process is constantly.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Movies about making movies are lazy and trite

But the good thing about movies is there are a bunch of them (often good and not about movie people jerking off) so you can always just watch something else

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

I've got a hard time thinking of any film about making movies that's saccharine. Even the most positive show how exhausting and hosed the process is constantly.

Sure, but the exhausting and hosed portions are usually contrasted with some ideal of ~movie magic~.

I try to avoid Hollywood navel gazing but when I was a dumb kid and didn't know any better I watched The Majestic because I liked Jim Carrey, and while the Hollywood storyline was explicitly about how lovely the industry was to the main character it was still about his journey to rediscover what movies ~~~really mean~~~ to people

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Maybe rephrasing it to movies celebrating Hollywood or cinema?

AKA Oscar bait.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blue Moonlight posted:

Maybe rephrasing it to movies celebrating Hollywood or cinema?

AKA Oscar bait.

Ed Wood wasn't bad

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

I would annihilate a goose in combat. I would feel no compunction about taking it easy on it for the optics like I would with a small child or hot babe assassin. I’d spin kick its beak off like a looney tune.

:hai:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not for nothing but I work on academia and hard science faculty are some of the dumbest motherfuckers alive outside their extremely specific disciplines. Like "how do you not drown in the bathtub" dumb

This is honestly a lot of people in a lot of professions that people associate with being smart. I know a lot of lawyers because my childhood best friend is a DA and I would say most of them are very knowledgeable on the law but beyond that, half of them are kind of dumbasses. My brother (god bless him he's a good dude) is ivy league educated on a scholarship and has his poo poo together more than most people I know, but had his entire worldview changed in a matter of weeks because he started listening to Joe Rogan (who he thinks is brilliant). Some people have a good work ethic or retain information well, but it doesn't mean they have anything even remotely insightful to say outside of their field of study.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Mar 3, 2023

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

1stGear posted:

Haven't seen either, though I'm guessing David Lynch is going to have more interesting ideas than "Wow, isn't the movie business amazing" and present them in more interesting ways.

Mulholland Drive is great and has a fairly clear story to it unlike many other Lynch films that are more about concepts or emotions or something.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They should make Transformers for adults that are extremely complicated and delicate and take like an hour to transform.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

More resources should be dedicated to finding a cure for introverts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Go outside

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

But there’s snow outside still. It’s all wet and melty too

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
If you are caught in public wearing a leopard-print article of clothing, you should be legally forced to set your closet on fire and instead only wear government-issued burlap sacks

you're welcome in advance

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Leopard print is good, I’m sorry if you are offended by color and fun.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

This is honestly a lot of people in a lot of professions that people associate with being smart. I know a lot of lawyers because my childhood best friend is a DA and I would say most of them are very knowledgeable on the law but beyond that, half of them are kind of dumbasses. My brother (god bless him he's a good dude) is ivy league educated on a scholarship and has his poo poo together more than most people I know, but had his entire worldview changed in a matter of weeks because he started listening to Joe Rogan (who he thinks is brilliant). Some people have a good work ethic or retain information well, but it doesn't mean they have anything even remotely insightful to say outside of their field of study.

Yeah, this is why when my mum brought up just casually listening to Joe Rogan, I shut that poo poo down immediately. In the modern world you need to inoculate loved ones hard and fast against these turds. Rational Wiki is absolutely amazing for "a quick ref of citations about how much an rear end in a top hat someone is" and it doesn't fail to succeed where Joe Rogan is concerned.

Gripweed posted:

Leopard print is good, I’m sorry if you are offended by color and fun.

It's uniformly a bad pattern and as the youngest person in the thread I'm telling you now, it's only association for my generation is with trashy aging 50 year old women who are super drunk and loud about it, with smoke stained teeth, probably perving on the nearest underaged attendant

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It's the female equivalent of the aging male bachelor who's wearing a gold chain necklace and tank tops, and worn for the same reasons

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

alexandriao posted:

It's uniformly a bad pattern and as the youngest person in the thread I'm telling you now, it's only association for my generation is with trashy aging 50 year old women who are super drunk and loud about it, with smoke stained teeth, probably perving on the nearest underaged attendant

How old are you, for reference? I’m 27

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Alex that was a weird thing to say honestly. No one start comparing ages in here

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

More resources should be dedicated to finding a cure for introverts.

It's located on the sun, and only the combined efforts of all the extroverts flying there together on a rocket can retrieve it. Godspeed!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

alexandriao posted:

It's the female equivalent of the aging male bachelor who's wearing a gold chain necklace and tank tops, and worn for the same reasons

Yeah because it looks cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A tank top and a chain under a leopard print shirt is an extremely good look.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

alexandriao posted:

because it loving rules?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
lotta people itt getting their names added to the federal closet fire list

Nobody, at the end of the day, is buying and then purposively wearing leopard-print clothing because they think it looks incredible, it's a shitshow of bad

Now, you wanna rock a royal purple crushed velvet parquet-patterned jumpsuit, we'll talk

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My preferred coffee temp is lukewarm.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

postmodifier posted:

leopard print

There's a local guy who has vintage shop that I sell to sometimes and he has a REAL leopard skin coat from the 40s (he has a bunch of furs that are illegal now actually). It's incredibly beautiful up close and the prints are such a terrible facsimile.

My unpopular opinion: I don't think there's anything wrong with owning ethically dubious vintage items like furs. The damage has already been done. I'm never going to get to pet a real leopard. That coat was the closest I'll ever get.

By the same metric, I also think vintage diamonds that were blood diamonds are fine to own and wear.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There's a local guy who has vintage shop that I sell to sometimes and he has a REAL leopard skin coat from the 40s (he has a bunch of furs that are illegal now actually). It's incredibly beautiful up close and the prints are such a terrible facsimile.

My unpopular opinion: I don't think there's anything wrong with owning ethically dubious vintage items like furs. The damage has already been done. I'm never going to get to pet a real leopard. That coat was the closest I'll ever get.

By the same metric, I also think vintage diamonds that were blood diamonds are fine to own and wear.

Suppose instead of a vintage diamond it was a Nazi lampshade

edit: well, that's actually kind of a lovely argument. What I was trying to articulate is that there must be a cutoff where the damage done is so abhorrent that anything made from it is itself abhorrent.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

credburn posted:

Suppose instead of a vintage diamond it was a Nazi lampshade

edit: well, that's actually kind of a lovely argument. What I was trying to articulate is that there must be a cutoff where the damage done is so abhorrent that anything made from it is itself abhorrent.

Probably! Don't think that's really relevant in this case! Kind of an insane analogy honestly!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My Hitlerskin coat has caused a new controversy,

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Gonna make a hot take here: wearing the flesh of another human being is wrong, even if it's Hitler's flesh.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw it's cool

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

some plague rats posted:

My Hitlerskin coat has caused a new controversy,

Good av + post combo, though

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Any movie that is being described as a "love letter" to anything is going to be really bad. I don't care what the oscars say.

I loathe the phrase “coming of age” myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Libertarian spotted.