Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If this really were a Stalinist regime most of the senior officials would have been summarily purged.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Genuinely still reeling from the fact that the government literally put out a poster saying 'we will legalise slavery' and the main opposition attacked them for being soft on immigration. That's it. That's seriously it. There genuinely is no bottom now. Fuckin' legalised slavery. They didn't even use any polite euphemisms. Just straight-up 'it's OK to enslave these people'.

https://twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1633158789103747072?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Welcome to fascism. We're probably going to be here a while.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Actually I think you'll find racism was defeated in 2019.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

As someone who sits next to people who have been arrested after ending up in modern slavery, you could not have thought up a better way to help the most violent and brutally abusive people in the country.

It's what every single one of them say to keep people working for them, "if you tell anyone they won't believe you and it'll be you who gets punished and someone else will take your place". Not too long ago this was definitely true, but I've seen police attitudes (not all of them, not all at once) change beyond all recognition over the past few years.

And now the Government is literally repeating their line. While claiming to be solving the problem. And outwardly intelligent, sober, reasonable people will fall for it and ignore us.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

thankfully democracy and the rule of law will put a stop to all this

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lol, when I was close to completing on my house, I got a call from HSBC saying: "Ooh, there's a problem: there's potentially a £15 annual rentcharge on your house that's been moribund for decades and we don't lend against leasehold properties!"

24 hours of worry later and then it's: "Actually, forget about it, we're all good!"

Fuckers.

I was of the understanding that if a ground rent like this hasn't been collected for X number of years then it's considered null and void.

Technically my last house in the UK, I was owed £12/year by my neighbour, since their garage was on my land (my house was a "coachhouse" with all the living space on the first floor, with my garage, my neighbour's garage, and a pass-through driveway to a shared courtyard underneath. I never bothered collecting it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

thankfully democracy and the rule of law will put a stop to all this
We could defeat it in the Marketplace of Ideas©

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

can we make an image the thread title in tyool 2023?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Being english is like being part of an incredibly hosed up insular and abusive family, it's literally mental illness-inducing

I loathe this country. I despise it with every fibre of my being. I loathe that I used to love it, cos all the stuff I was raised to love is variously evil, awful and flat out pathetically sad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it helps, it doesn't seem any easier if you have always hated the place.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Barry Foster posted:

Being english is like being part of an incredibly hosed up insular and abusive family, it's literally mental illness-inducing

I loathe this country. I despise it with every fibre of my being. I loathe that I used to love it, cos all the stuff I was raised to love is variously evil, awful and flat out pathetically sad

england.txt

On the upside, there's a world outside that island - gently caress, half the island - that agrees with you. I used to think the French were being a bit weird about it until I actually spent time in England, and nope, the French are, if anything, too nice.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/KaelanRamos/status/1579587473696763904

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If it helps, it doesn't seem any easier if you have always hated the place.

My work is genuinely considering asking engineers to temporarily relocate to the states and im genuinely having to consider it because the uk is essentially as bad as the usa now and at least id get paid more. Even 5 years ago I'd be laughing at how stupid they are to think anyone would sign up for that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My company pays $230k in the US for the same position that commands £60k here. It's ridiculous.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Drone_Fragger posted:

My work is genuinely considering asking engineers to temporarily relocate to the states and im genuinely having to consider it because the uk is essentially as bad as the usa now and at least id get paid more. Even 5 years ago I'd be laughing at how stupid they are to think anyone would sign up for that.

Uhhh the US is still MUCH worse than the UK. The UK is bad but doesn't even come close to like the US or Israel.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The Nordics had youth who grew up wanting to see England, and once they did, they understood everyone making the things they liked hates England, and they return eventually, every single one with the same story - England loving sucks and everything is so much better on the mainland you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it first hand.

It was funny seeing people a decade younger arrive at the exact same conclusion. It was hilarious to see their reactions to the reveal I also only had after figuring it out for myself - that not only did people in generations before us make the exact same mistake, they also arrived at the exact same conclusion, and wrote it down. Not that I would have listened had I found them earlier.

Hey the current state of things is an upside to Brexit. Now we don't have to come over there to figure it out, we can just listen to your politicians for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Viking invasion except they turn up, look around, and get back in the longship and find somewhere more hospitable, like the faroe islands.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Miftan posted:

Uhhh the US is still MUCH worse than the UK. The UK is bad but doesn't even come close to like the US or Israel.

It definitely depends where you are. If it's California or New York you're probably gonna be fine, if it's Florida... yikes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

It definitely depends where you are. If it's California or New York you're probably gonna be fine, if it's Florida... yikes.

Even Cali and NY have a ton of issues that are endemic to being in the US like cops being armed and judicially bullet proof, the cost of healthcare, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the NHS may be shite but jesus mary and joseph the US is utterly hosed. Would rather die than move to the states. Absolutely not one single thing about that place that I would prefer over the UK, as shite as the UK is.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah, I thought the vastly inflated salaries for tech jobs etc in the US is basically cos it loving sucks there, you have no employment rights, and even if you're insured, basically any kind of medical treatment will cost you at least $5000.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
So what's the new slavery system like? If you are a slave in Britain and have kids, are they born free or do they also belong to your master?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My GF moved from the US to the UK 5 years ago and while the UK still is bad she has said she would never want to move back. It's like over the past 5 years she's been gradually deprogrammed from all the insane propaganda US citizens are fed.

Like no joke we go over to visit her family and some of them are 100% CONVINCED that the entire world wants to flock to the US to use its incredible medical system. You try to speak to them about universal healthcare and they say "well if that's true then why does everyone come here for their healthcare?" and I'm like... "they don't?????"

That and the vast majority of people I spoke to there say without conviction that America is the greatest country in the world and they would hate to live anywhere else because everywhere else is the third world. These same people have never left their own state.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've considered rolling the die and accepting job offers in the States. It would be relatively straightforward, my wife's American , a company would sponsor me, have a place to live in New York, would probably double my salary.

You can have a really nice life in CA or NY if you're comfortably middle-class, I guess a few other places like Chicago,IL or Portland,OR or the Triangle in NC as well.

But it really is a gamble, your life can go absolutely sideways in a minute and your chances of getting back on the tightrope are low (apologies for all the mixed metaphors).

That being said, I had the same opportunity to take jobs in London or Cambridge and turned them down because it would also be a major downgrade in life quality, just more in a kind of "grinding drudgery" than "precarious future" way.

Both options kinda made me appreciate my current setup. Ireland is deeply poo poo, but in a way that has kinda worked out for me and is very predictable. Perhaps I have just grown to the size my terrarium allows and anything else seems wrong to me.

E: and much like Aphex-, my partner is also pretty strong about not going back to the US, and becomes more steely-eyed about that conviction with every mass shooting event

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: and much like Aphex-, my partner is also pretty strong about not going back to the US, and becomes more steely-eyed about that conviction with every mass shooting event

Yeah if nothing else, your kids are far less likely to randomly die while in school in the UK. The US is what the US thinks the rest of the world is, but with slightly more money (but not for you) so they have houses instead of mud huts or whatever propaganda they've been fed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I was in Vegas last week, and the car park in front of the Mandalay Bay hotel where Stephen Paddock shot nearly 500 people (resulting in nearly 900 injured including 60 dead), is just a chained-off empty car park now. It's right there on the Strip but people seem to just kind of mentally shrug and not acknowledge it? The vibes are deeply hosed.

E: the dude had 22 suitcases of guns that the hotel staff helped him bring to his room

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 9, 2023

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Barry Foster posted:

:hai:
Need a sad version of this nodding smiley

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Five years from the Brexit referendum to the government going 'buckle in, folks - we're legalising slavery' in an official press release. Holy poo poo.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also they are obsessed with money, like really obsessed. Everything was always "oh how much do you make, less than 100k? wow you've failed at life". I'd say 80% of the conversations that i had or heard while i was over there last time was something to do with money. They have huge houses where they put down a 2% deposit, everyone is up to their eyeballs in debt and it's actively discouraged to take your holiday days. All 10 days of them if you're lucky.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Barry Foster posted:

I became more and more cynical and critical of England as I got older, and then after I spent a couple of years travelling around Europe and seeing that hey, there are alternatives to Thatcherite economic and social policies and beer-bellied gammonism, it became active dislike. There was that brief period under Corbyn of "hey, maybe things can change here too", but nope, that had to be crushed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aphex- posted:

and it's actively discouraged to take your holiday days. All 10 days of them if you're lucky.

Oh yeah this is probably the main factor for me tbh. Ffffffffuck that

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Payndz posted:

I became more and more cynical and critical of England as I got older, and then after I spent a couple of years travelling around Europe and seeing that hey, there are alternatives to Thatcherite economic and social policies and beer-bellied gammonism, it became active dislike. There was that brief period under Corbyn of "hey, maybe things can change here too", but nope, that had to be crushed.

I don't travel all that often but I went to both Spain and the Netherlands last year and both times I genuinely felt I could breathe easier and that a weight was off my shoulders when I arrived. And vice versa when I came back to the UK, it was honestly kind of crushing to have to come back.

Obviously a big part of that is that I was on holiday, so naturally I was going to feel more relaxed, but I'm certain I'd feel a lot better living and working abroad than I would going on holiday in the UK.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

All countries are awful and have their problems, but the UK is definitely trying to out-worse most of the planet, and America, well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2023

To say nothing of absolute monstrosities like Uvalde.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Does Flint, MI have clean drinking water yet?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

Does Flint, MI have clean drinking water yet?

According to Wikipedia, they fixed it back in 2021. Not to let America off the hook, but I can't help but wonder how long a similarly massive infrastructure project would take in the modern UK. We just don't seem to do those at all any more.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
can't build a new world from the ashes of the old till the old one burns imo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

According to Wikipedia, they fixed it back in 2021. Not to let America off the hook, but I can't help but wonder how long a similarly massive infrastructure project would take in the modern UK. We just don't seem to do those at all any more.

True but we also tend not to have places like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Alley

and just go "it's fine, only the n-words live there."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And for what it's worth, Flint's water crisis absofuckinglutely was not fixed in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's also the Centralia coal mine fire which has been burning since 1962 and is likely to continue burning for centuries