Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was in Vegas last week, and the car park in front of the Mandalay Bay hotel where Stephen Paddock shot nearly 500 people (resulting in nearly 900 injured including 60 dead), is just a chained-off empty car park now. It's right there on the Strip but people seem to just kind of mentally shrug and not acknowledge it? The vibes are deeply hosed.

E: the dude had 22 suitcases of guns that the hotel staff helped him bring to his room

I did not know that.

One of the truly messed up parts of that story is, after multiple investigations, they have no clue why he did it.

Like, not even a plausible motive like "he had a bunch of gambling debts" or "he had an inoperable tumour and was dying" or "his wife was going to leave him."
Not even "he was friends with a bunch of powerful people who want to protect his reputation and/or their connection."

And as a bunch of tragedies have taught me, people want to latch onto a simplistic or incorrect explanation that "makes sense" over a grim truth that doesn't. They'd go insane if the had to face up to this.

Consider that empty car park a monument to the idea "Bad things happen: No moral."

Edit: What a time for a snipe. Here is Lara T. Catt dealing with existential uncertainty.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

There's also the Centralia coal mine fire which has been burning since 1962 and is likely to continue burning for centuries
They should rename it the Centralia geothermal power opportunity zone. What happened to a Nation of Salesmen?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah the NHS may be shite but jesus mary and joseph the US is utterly hosed. Would rather die than move to the states. Absolutely not one single thing about that place that I would prefer over the UK, as shite as the UK is.

Completely agree, but with the state of the nhs the tories will have sold it to these ghouls by the time the election happens, and I have 0 faith people like wes streeting would actually try and renationalize it. At least in the states I'd be able to be in full time work and afford to keep the house warm for the kids and maybe even have money to do something other than watch telly ans go to work. Its just ridiculous how poo poo wages are in the uk, and how expensive everything is.

And honestly we shouldn't shout too loud about the water problems in the states... We have water companies dumping literally hundreds of thousands of litres of untreated sewage into waterways, some of which are also used as human drinking sources. We're only like one water treatment plant failure away from a mass e coli outbreak. This is then on top of most housing in the uk being old enough to have lead pipes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Not sure if I'm ready (salted) for Based Lineker

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1633785617724190720?t=XuZPHoDFJn6lFrA4YCLXDw&s=19

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
culture (war) secretary

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Nicest footballer ever in history.
Says slavery is wrong.
Govt and Media freaking the gently caress out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1633790491308195841

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BBC article posted:

The culture secretary said the presenter's tweets were "disappointing and inappropriate".

Lucy Frazer said it was "important for the BBC to retain impartiality if it is to retain the trust of the public who pay the licence fee".

Responding to a question in the Commons Ms Frazer said: "As somebody whose grandmother escaped Nazi Germany in the 1930s I think it's really disappointing and inappropriate to compare government policy on immigration events to events in Germany in the 1930s."

What tories hope people will read:

Holocaust survivor descendent condemns Lineker's rhetoric

What it should actually say:

Holocaust survivor descendent encouraged by party to use tragic heritage to score political points

Surely someone personally affected by such regimes ought to be keen to see similar behaviour called out early and often so it's less likely to happen again? Or shall we use it as an excuse to keep silent when we see the warning signs?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I thought 'based' was the malevolent opposite of 'woke'? That's how dickheads like Elon Musk have been using it, anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It means not caring what others, especially the authorities, think about you.

Like woke it can also mean a dozen other things, including its exact opposite, and was stolen from Black culture.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/StevePowers_/status/1633752874596417536?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It means a a follower in the True and Righteous Path of Lil B the Based God

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

We can't stand for anyone denigrating Nazis, can we?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Failed Imagineer posted:

We can't stand for anyone denigrating Nazis, can we?

To denigrate means to criticise unfairly. So clearly what she's saying is that it's unfair on NAZIs to compare our democracy and the Tories to them. Err.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"gently caress off, you goddamn Nazi," said the child.

The racist Tory was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

endlessmonotony posted:

The Nordics had youth who grew up wanting to see England, and once they did, they understood everyone making the things they liked hates England, and they return eventually, every single one with the same story - England loving sucks and everything is so much better on the mainland you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it first hand.

It was funny seeing people a decade younger arrive at the exact same conclusion. It was hilarious to see their reactions to the reveal I also only had after figuring it out for myself - that not only did people in generations before us make the exact same mistake, they also arrived at the exact same conclusion, and wrote it down. Not that I would have listened had I found them earlier.

Hey the current state of things is an upside to Brexit. Now we don't have to come over there to figure it out, we can just listen to your politicians for a while.

I was one of these people way back in the early 2000's. Lived in Aberdeen for 5 years, did my history degree there, left and never looked back. The people were lovely, the city was nice and the education great, but absolutely everything was worse than Finland one way or another. Student food was worse and more expensive, the flats had no internet, things were moldy etc. No reason to return aside from tourism.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

And of course, Aberdeen ain't England but I expect it would have been the same elsewhere, except more expensive.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

The racist Tory was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology.

Well ACKSHULLY, we subscribe to a neo nationalist irredentist movement called UltraBritain First, so calling us nazis is not just inaccurate but also offensive :smug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Scotland is much nicer to foreigners on the average.

And the big culture shock nobody expects is how badly everything is built. It makes sense when you think about it, the winter destroys anything badly built in the Nordics.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
It always strikes me as weird that inhabitants of this one specific atlantic island suffering from wind, rain and fog would be so opposed to proper insulation. Maybe not being cold and miserable is wokerati thoughtfluencing virtue signaling or something

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ataxerxes posted:

I was one of these people way back in the early 2000's. Lived in Aberdeen for 5 years, did my history degree there, left and never looked back. The people were lovely, the city was nice and the education great, but absolutely everything was worse than Finland one way or another. Student food was worse and more expensive, the flats had no internet, things were moldy etc. No reason to return aside from tourism.

Huh, we would have been students there at the same time (and I took a lot of history classes). Reasonably high chance we’ve met in passing.

(If you were enough of a nerd to be involved with AURA then we almost definitely have)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I love to revisit that story from time to time lol

for those who don't know

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Scotland is much nicer to foreigners on the average.

And the big culture shock nobody expects is how badly everything is built. It makes sense when you think about it, the winter destroys anything badly built in the Nordics.

Yeah. My father is a construction engineer and his reaction on how houses and buildings are built in the UK are quite something. Also, since even the southmost part of Finland can see a few nights of -30C in a winter the regulations and laws on what you can and can't build for habitation are quite strict.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Camrath posted:

Huh, we would have been students there at the same time (and I took a lot of history classes). Reasonably high chance we’ve met in passing.

(If you were enough of a nerd to be involved with AURA then we almost definitely have)

Hah, small world indeed. I was there 2002 - 2007 and active in AURA at the time, though less so in the last year.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1633795360664453124

:toot:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Daily Mail shitebag actually doubled down.

https://twitter.com/nicolelampert/status/1633758001264750594

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What if my grandfather was in a concentration camp but not jewish, does that make me ineligible.

I mean I know it does for these types, but the industrial methods bit was still there.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Glad to see that the English are finally getting on board with the widespread opinion held in Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and France that England is a cursed forsaken land.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Private Speech posted:

What if my grandfather was in a concentration camp but not jewish, does that make me ineligible.

I mean I know it does for these types, but the industrial methods bit was still there.

There's a large proportion of Jewish people in British Media who's biggest objection to Fascist politics is being lumped in with Homosexuals and Roma.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This just in from the woman who aborted Boris Johnson’s baby

https://twitter.com/petronellawyatt/status/1633779516559466497?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's a large proportion of Jewish people in British Media who's biggest objection to Fascist politics is being lumped in with Homosexuals and Roma.

Though I think it's fair to say that they're significantly outnumbered by gentile Zionists with the same views and an obsessive urge to police any actual Jews who don't share said views, as we saw with the Labour antisemitism mess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It always strikes me as weird that inhabitants of this one specific atlantic island suffering from wind, rain and fog would be so opposed to proper insulation. Maybe not being cold and miserable is wokerati thoughtfluencing virtue signaling or something

It possibly helps to recall that the majority of the UK's population went from huddling in shacks under the lord of whereverthefuck, to working in deathtrap factories and living in slums after their country dirt patch was enclosed, to whatever poo poo could be put up cheaply after the germans blew a bunch of it up, to maximum neoliberal housing-as-speculative-assets. And the actual standing housing stock is a mix of all of the above.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Payndz posted:

I thought 'based' was the malevolent opposite of 'woke'? That's how dickheads like Elon Musk have been using it, anyway.
”based” is the opposite of “cringe”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

On the one hand this tweet was a bad decision, but that abortion was a very good decision, so impossible to judge this woman

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tory name generator website strikes again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Private Speech posted:

My dad who was a young kid during WW2 was banging on about 'Why didn't the Poles do more to help the Jews' one time and my friend whose Polish non-Jewish grandfather was interred said 'Because it was happening to them too!' - dad really had no idea about non-Jewish victims.
IIRC (and feel free to correct my figures if nec) 6 million Poles were killed of which 3 million were Jewish and 3 million non-Jewish.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

That's the kind of tweet I'd expect from someone who'd let Boris Johnson gently caress them without a condom.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

This tweet's now got me curious. There must be plenty of examples of Hitler and other Nazis going 'yes, we are actually, literally fascists', but I don't know where to even start looking for them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Tory name generator website strikes again.

Petronella is my favourite oil-based spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

This tweet's now got me curious. There must be plenty of examples of Hitler and other Nazis going 'yes, we are actually, literally fascists', but I don't know where to even start looking for them.

I don't think it would matter, nobody making that argument is interested in reality.