Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

Draft Diet Lamar Jackson.

Draft....Malik Cunningham.

In the 6th round.

Draft Hooker, I'm sure we can get some good tweet puns when he's able to play again in 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd be okay with drafting Hooker in the third or fourth round if the Lions go defense heavy in their first four picks.

I'd also be okay with them drafting Jake Moody in the late rounds. Dude is the best kicker in the country and holds the all-time Michigan football scoring record.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the more likely scenario is the Vikings win the division while the lions put up a respectable 7 wins after a disastrous start

I hope not, only getting 5 wins out of 15 games would be really disappointing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one interesting storyline this season is that the bears have the first pick of the upcoming nfl draft. usually teams take a quarterback there, but the bears feel like they have their guy in fields... so it's possible they might trade the pick to a quarterback-desperate team in exchange for more draft picks! anyone hear anything about this?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

one interesting storyline this season is that the bears have the first pick of the upcoming nfl draft. usually teams take a quarterback there, but the bears feel like they have their guy in fields... so it's possible they might trade the pick to a quarterback-desperate team in exchange for more draft picks! anyone hear anything about this?

Sounds pretty contrived, how’d they get the first pick if they have a good QB? Writers are pulling some poo poo imo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Guy A. Person posted:

Sounds pretty contrived, how’d they get the first pick if they have a good QB? Writers are pulling some poo poo imo

The NFL has jumped the bear.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Vikings are going to have a rough schedule. They'll be lucky to get nine wins.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Comfortador posted:

Its not going to happen, they are building this team right from the trenches out.

Throwing some cap heavy QB into the mix when we currently have a decent game manager who knows our system and has good synergy with our OC makes zero sense.

He's been hurt way too often, two 1st rounders and a 200 mil+ contract with most of it guaranteed? It just doesn't make sense for how they've been building this team.

I understand what you're saying, but they are building the team for an eventual high caliber qb. If you're good in the trenches then any good qb should excel. Maybe goff gets better next year, but i doubt it. I think he looks good because of a good rb and wr squad to keep the game balanced. Maybe the money aint right, but Lamar would look pretty good on the lions.

As a bears fan, I love me a good game manager, but they can only do so much.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

ZombieCrew posted:

I understand what you're saying, but they are building the team for an eventual high caliber qb. If you're good in the trenches then any good qb should excel. Maybe goff gets better next year, but i doubt it. I think he looks good because of a good rb and wr squad to keep the game balanced. Maybe the money aint right, but Lamar would look pretty good on the lions.

As a bears fan, I love me a good game manager, but they can only do so much.

Only so much might be all they need, but I know what you're saying. If they decide they want to go the route of KC, Cin, Buffalo etc I get it. Its just.they could also go the route of San Fran and other teams from the past that competed for a Superbowl with a strong defense and a competent offense.

If they go the way you're saying I just don't think Lamar is that guy. I'm definitely biased against running QBs though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He's a running QB in the sense that he is good at running I guess but uhh

Dude can legit loving sling the rock.

His team has just been bad at putting talent around him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1633808745737203712

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Guy A. Person posted:

As the comic relief character it was pretty amazing. Imagine a team rushing for 200 yards a game, putting up 30 points a game, and still losing.
Every week.
A true master stroke.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am excited about no longer having to care about this big dumb baby

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've been mostly ambivalent to this whole process but if it actually happens I'll be mildly annoyed because I do think Rodgers will probably do just enough for that defense to carry them to some wins.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tbf, Rodgers powered by spite might give him one more spectacular year before flaming out.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comfortador posted:

Only so much might be all they need, but I know what you're saying. If they decide they want to go the route of KC, Cin, Buffalo etc I get it. Its just.they could also go the route of San Fran and other teams from the past that competed for a Superbowl with a strong defense and a competent offense.

If they go the way you're saying I just don't think Lamar is that guy. I'm definitely biased against running QBs though.

I don't think they'd go after Lamar and I don't think they do Goff like that. With the signings of Geno, Carr and Jones though you get an idea of what Goff is going to cost.

He could probably ask for 40-42.5 per year and get about 100-120 million guaranteed.

So I'm curious what Lamar ultimately signs for. Maybe he just plays the one year so Burrow and Herbert can reset the whole thing again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

As much as I would enjoy seeing rodgers booted from the division, as a bears fan it is impossible for me to understand football without pain and misery so it is obvious that love will immediately be better than fields and I will give up watching football while pretending that it is because of Morals and Enlightenment instead of just being mad at being owned by the packers once again.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Sataere posted:

The NFL has jumped the bear.

:hmmyes:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:siren: Bears Free Agency Action

The Bears re-signed their fullback

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1633872206185758726

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Theilen is a weird one to me because you only save about 6 million in 2023 by cutting him so unless they're doing a post-june first designation on him to smooth it out I don't know that you can realistically even replace him with someone who's even at his current level (wherever you think that might be) with that money.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You don’t you draft a rookie WR and use that 6 mil on other positions.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
KJ is solid enough to be a wr2 to Jefferson at least for a season while you draft a rookie so I’m sure that’s a big part of looking at Thielen’s contract.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/VikesCentral/status/1633876196831133708

TAKE IT KWESI

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I imagine they got one singular trade offer and they are just thankful for something to do

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

packers trade aaron to the jets, swap firsts and jordan love to the ravens in exchange for lamar, fire joe berry, and draft some loving offense :allears:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Thielen is extremely overpaid (who did that loving contract?). He's also delusional about his production potential. It's been real, adios.

Take it, whatever it is.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thielen will be 33 next year and is not the same receiver he was. That is a terrible contract however.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1633947624981004289

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

Thielen will be 33 next year and is not the same receiver he was. That is a terrible contract however.

Even when he signed it people could tell it was going to be terrible at the back end

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Vikings gonna look very different next season.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

Vikings gonna look very different next season.

Whole division feels like it will

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SirPablo posted:

Thielen is extremely overpaid (who did that loving contract?). He's also delusional about his production potential. It's been real, adios.

Some other fanbase can now be annoyed with "I got Thielen"

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Its gonna be a fun division next year and everyone should like their teams. Except Packer fans if they don't get rid of Aaron, but that's fine.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

vikings what are you doing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Trying to trade him for like a fifth or sixth round pick probably

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
N:
https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1633977592712683523

V:
Rodgers and the locker name plates of Cobb, Tonyan, and Lewis.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Shrimpy posted:

N:
https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1633977592712683523

V:
Rodgers and the locker name plates of Cobb, Tonyan, and Lewis.

Pretty sure those guys are all FA's already. Saw one guy question if maybe they'd package Bakh in, in which case sure go ahead but we better be getting a 1st or 2.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

adaz posted:

packers trade aaron to the jets, swap firsts and jordan love to the ravens in exchange for lamar, fire joe berry, and draft some loving offense :allears:

7-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But then we will have a new defensive coordinator to blame so it’s a win overall