Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Inspector Hound posted:

After the first dig didn't it completely flood

The history of oak island is complicated and there's really no actual evidence for any of the supposed findings. But yeah it starts with someone digging deeper and deeper until the whole shaft floods. Was it insidiously clever templar engineering of booby trap flood tunnels 60 feet below the ground that bring water in from the bay? Or did they just dig down until they hit water because they're on, you know, an island.

The telling of that original shaft is that they hit layers of logs, layers of clay, layers of coconut fiber, etc. I'm skeptical of this because it makes it sound as if there was ever anything actually there. After that someone eventually did the first borehole drilling on the pit:

quote:

The pit was re-excavated back down to the 86-foot (26 m) level, but ended up flooding again. It was then decided to drill five bore holes using a pod-auger into the original shaft. The auger passed through a spruce platform at 98 feet (30 m), then hit layers of oak, something described as "metal in pieces", another spruce layer, and clay for 7 feet (2.1 m).[7] This platform was hit twice; each time metal was brought to the surface, along with various other items such as wood and coconut fibre.[12]

So if you believe any of this at all, that was it. That's all that's left of the ark of the covenant, utterly annihilated by high-gauge industrial borehole auger in 1849.

Imagine for a minute that any of that is true: the templar treasure or shakespearian manuscript (in 1896 a different excavation claimed to find scraps of parchment with their drill, again, with no evidence we can inspect) was irrevocably destroyed almost two centuries ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

pancake rabbit posted:

r/UFOs has the pitchforks out lol

They always do
but it is suspect as hell

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

sean cahill about to be found dead of a gunshot wound in the trunk of his own car with a suicide note in his pocket

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rickshaw posted:

Imagine for a minute that any of that is true: the templar treasure or shakespearian manuscript (in 1896 a different excavation claimed to find scraps of parchment with their drill, again, with no evidence we can inspect) was irrevocably destroyed almost two centuries ago.

Between whatever it was being super, just inconveniently deep, and how fatally sad that would be, I've decided over the years not to believe it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
lol we all knew Lue was sus but this is definitely the final nail in the coffin, he's been chatting horseshit this whole time

Honestly this makes me doubt everything he put into motion and everyone connected to him. The tic-tac, GOFAST, GIMBAL, Graves, Fravor, Dietrich, Mellon, Leslie Kean, the whole shebang

The Saucer Hovers was absolutely right about these chucklefucks

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Lue’s own personal leyline, a lueline if you will

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

https://youtu.be/_asNhzXq72w

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

epstein thread brain just makes me think his usefulness has come to an end lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i mean. i saw the weird orb harassing a plane while i was in my back yard. why couldn't lue see one while doing some late night grilling

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

wait for this to play out before yall join the hellraising

i think lue is full of it but i also think the psychology of an angry crowd is not to be trusted

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

lol we all knew Lue was sus but this is definitely the final nail in the coffin, he's been chatting horseshit this whole time

Honestly this makes me doubt everything he put into motion and everyone connected to him. The tic-tac, GOFAST, GIMBAL, Graves, Fravor, Dietrich, Mellon, Leslie Kean, the whole shebang

Nolan too lol

I still will read Lues book because I love it all

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

who would have ever guessed that a career counterintelligence officer would not be trustworthy

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

and dr jarrold coe and azatoth and all the other old timers. its redundant at this point but the difference is we arent obsessed physics and physical materials and all the kind of data that a military computers or career spooks peddle. "disclosure" is irrelevant because this is a time, place, and person specific interaction with elusive companions or the numinous or: ??

the g men and con men and men men are all nuggetizing the personal potential of this phenomenon into leaks and tweets and scoops. these nuggets arent even for you, theyre for interdepartmental bickering and foreign adversaries its literally doty level deskwork.

in reality there is a whole rear end chicken out there, untouched and untouchable by :tinylue: , ready and waiting to confirm that you dont know poo poo about rear end and provide all the catharsis that comes with that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I would like to gently caress meet that chicken, I really would

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People’s chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Wait, Lue sucks now? What about the National Geographic doc everyone was thinking about while masturbating last week?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had a follow up to my Karma dream and this one was a personal visit by Ram Dass. he told me to lay off the ego. dreams are wild.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

we can't rule out that Lue routinely has UFOs buzzing him in his backyard

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Lue's somewhere in the middle of the good/suck chart.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

eravulgaris posted:

Wait, Lue sucks now? What about the National Geographic doc everyone was thinking about while masturbating last week?

the doc is a reasonable introduction, i don't think this changes that much. at least as far as something produced for mass consumption, it's about as good as could be reasonably hoped for.

as for :tinylue: himself, i think a lot of folks were at least willing to hear him out, but i don't think many people here would ever say they trusted what he said without external verification. and that sorta is his whole thing, he says a lot but he has had more external verification than i would have expected.

but again, he's a spook and the son of a Bay of Pigs participant, so if his dad wasn't outright a spook himself, he was at least spook-adjacent. it was always possible that he was just telling the truth and didn't have an ulterior motives but c'mon. various people here were willing to give more or less credence to what he's saying, but personally, i wouldn't trust anything that couldn't be verified outside of shadowy government games.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Things I believe about Lue:

•He worked for the government running some sort of SAP auditing program
•He found out about hidden exotic materials/engineering programs and had the door slammed in his face
•A lot of powerful people in the DoD wanted him to stop asking about that poo poo
•He went outside the chain of command to tell higher ranking people about these programs getting him blackballed by facets of the DoD
•He helped leak the UAP videos that kicked off the 2017 push
•He has argued for amnesty for those involved in legacy programs
•He's coordinating with Chris Mellon
•He's still on the DoD payroll

I believe all of that is true. I don't believe:

•That he sincerely believes these UAP are a threat to aviators.
•That he did this solely out of a strong sense of patriotism
•That he has ever told us the whole truth about anything (he knowingly obfuscates certain things for whatever his purpose is)

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Mar 9, 2023

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

shitposting about :tinylue: has been fun because he’s a likeable guy but he done got lazy and hosed it up

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

went out at night because i wanted to see a flying saucer but all i got was this lousy externalized traumatogenic agency

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Of the recent (post 2017) UFO stuff, what isn't touched by Lue?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

shitposting about :tinylue: has been fun because he’s a likeable guy but he done got lazy and hosed it up

he also follows a long line of UFO personalities going back decades and decades who say that they have amazing explosive evidence or documents but they can't release it or talk about it right now because reasons

it's a well-worn path and, surprise surprise, it never ends with them actually releasing what they know, or if they do release what they have it has been underwhelming after a long hype period

he's got a novel approach, in that he's doing so from inside the government, but overall his trajectory is pretty similar to other people making similar claims

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

he also follows a long line of UFO personalities going back decades and decades who say that they have amazing explosive evidence or documents but they can't release it or talk about it right now because reasons

it's a well-worn path and, surprise surprise, it never ends with them actually releasing what they know, or if they do release what they have it has been underwhelming after a long hype period

he's got a novel approach, in that he's doing so from inside the government, but overall his trajectory is pretty similar to other people making similar claims

to his credit though, he was directly involved in the push that got us AARO and the first public reports/hearings on the topic in decades
so if he's grifting, he's grifting on a different scale than your Lazars or Greers - he's getting the biggest fish there is.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/mintyhyperspace/status/1633884444162691072?s=20
https://twitter.com/mintyhyperspace/status/1633884446373052417?s=20

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

to his credit though, he was directly involved in the push that got us AARO and the first public reports/hearings on the topic in decades
so if he's grifting, he's grifting on a different scale than your Lazars or Greers - he's getting the biggest fish there is.

yeah no argument there. and to be clear, whatever he's doing, i don't think he's doing it for personal financial gain or even just self-aggrandizement

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

linguist dan everett came up with the concept of liminal case (grammatical marking of liminality) while working with the Pirahã. the three examples they gave that informed his idea were a) a boat about to round the corner of a river b) the illumination provided by the strike of a match c) glimpsing the non-human people that appear at the edge of the firelight.

he "got" a) and b) of course but didnt crystallize the liminal case until, one night at the fire, he saw one of the totally not real extremely imaginary people at the edge of fire. wait, what? okay well, a theory of their language needs to include this reality. maybe all languages? either way it produced an ontological shift in him so extreme that he came as a missionary (linguistics and missionaries am i right) and left as an academic.

say what you will about his work, his career (lambasted, especially by chomskyists) and his personality, (hes gross) he crafted here a parable about what a whole lot of folks in this thread are after: confirmation that that dominant worldview is incomplete and a personalized experience to solidify that new ontology.

if this example holds any water we can learn that this experience is probably not waiting for you in your buddies back yard. probably gonna have to go looking, playing at it, until it happens. most of the goons itt who've had this experience were touching some level of grass at the time.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

click this if you want to hear lester holt talk about an alien 'mothership'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQQu_4amF3Y&t=811s

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My pet theory for Lue is that he's working with a group in the government, spearheading gradual acclimation to the "truth" of UFOs over the course of several years.
And whatever he's doing is clearly sanctioned. He's getting paid for it. It's got the backing of the highest ranking members in the senate, NASA, the DoD, and recently (due to international embarrassment) the executive office.

At the same time, he is very obviously lying to us. This is all a charade. Everyone knows it, none of this poo poo is stuff we're "just finding out". The discordance with Lue is that we know he's lying to us about when, and probably why, so why should we believe the "what" even if it matches what a lot of people have been saying and wanting to believe for decades?

Is this masquerade to prevent mass panic? To preserve the legacy (egos) of those responsible for lying to us in the first place? Have we royally hosed it and everyone in charge knows it so this is our last ditch attempt to appeal to the unfathomable sky gods to save us?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Have we royally hosed it and everyone in charge knows it so this is our last ditch attempt to appeal to the unfathomable sky gods to save us?

ding ding ding

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

we can't rule out that Lue routinely has UFOs buzzing him in his backyard

or can call them down through the power of remote viewing or whatever!

still want to grill with :tinylue: but as I'm off read meat I'll have to bring my own veggie or chix burgs

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

:tinylue: tiny lue can tiny remote view

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

My pet theory for Lue is that he's working with a group in the government, spearheading gradual acclimation to the "truth" of UFOs over the course of several years.

Yeah, this has been my working assumption for a while as well. He's clearly got both access to things that he wouldn't have without a network of people and also seemingly has some kind of protection from getting fully hung out to dry, since he seems to stay gainfully employed despite making a lot of people who should be able to get rid of him angry.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

poisonpill posted:

:tinylue: tiny lue can tiny remote view

Inch High, Private Eye but the high stands for high strangeness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

Art Bell "I've got one final question I've got to post to you,,, the prediction that,, within the next few years or even less we will begin to encounter sentient beings within the internet."

i have yet to encounter sentient beings within the internet :colbert: