Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dwesa posted:

nm, you were correct, 1924-40 Transnistria was autonomous republic within Ukrainian SSR

I guess I need to look up the history of that area, I assumed it was always a part of Romania but I guess not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

I guess I need to look up the history of that area, I assumed it was always a part of Romania but I guess not?

Yeah, you’ve got to learn about the country called “Russian Empire”.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Impressive how they copy paste the same bullshit as everyone else does that you can read the question/poll in a foreign language with no problem

Edit: well, actually it’s opposite :v: at least the response was predictable then

That Mike Calamus dude is an extra special example of that, the president of "EKRE USA division" and posing with Trump in his Twitter banner.
Hope he is happy with the 31 votes that he managed to get, lol.

e: thanks for trying, Google Translate

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 6, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

31 vote jfc, this is like your classmates + partner + parents

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Angryhead posted:

That Mike Calamus dude is an extra special example of that, the president of "EKRE USA division" and posing with Trump in his Twitter banner.
Hope he is happy with the 31 votes that he managed to get, lol.

e: thanks for trying, Google Translate

Is that one blue logo a leaping squirrel? Because that's what it looks like to me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

United Romania as a country is actually somewhat new, it spent like 5+ centuries split into various pieces like Wallachia, Moldavia (much bigger than current one), Transylvania, Bessarabia, which often had only limited autonomy as it was caught right in between Russian Empire, the Ottomans, and [Austria-]Hungary.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

"The territory of modern Moldova, excluding Transnistria, was part of Romania until 1940"

Wait, really? *checks internet* Transnistria was originally part of... Ukraine?

It becomes more obvious when you look at the current Transnistria-Ukraine border, which is mostly a road between two fields.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mokotow posted:

It becomes more obvious when you look at the current Transnistria-Ukraine border, which is mostly a road between two fields.

I was surprised by this, I admit I'm not familiar with Eastern European politics but I assumed with Moldova's focus on Transnistria, it was some area they had held for a long time they were redundant to let go of.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

I was surprised by this, I admit I'm not familiar with Eastern European politics but I assumed with Moldova's focus on Transnistria, it was some area they had held for a long time they were redundant to let go of.

It contains a lot of important infrastructure and industry, e.g. 80%+ of Moldova's electricity generation is located in Transnistria.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is that one blue logo a leaping squirrel? Because that's what it looks like to me.

Its a logo of a liberal Reform Party, who was the biggest winner in this election.
They have had that rightwards leaping squirrel as a logo for close to 30 years by now.
Squirrel because its a "hard-working, busy, pleasant and positive vanimal".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/ukrainai-nodos-pirmos-astonus-latvija-konfiscetos-auto.a499710/

for some slice of life stuff, was very funny sitting today in a taxi and listening to radio dictor read out that 8 cars confiscated from dui situations (they're now a criminal offence, and state seizes tools of crime) have under the new rules being delivered to Ukraine – this ministry, that hospital, etc

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I would make an effort post on what’s up in Poland but I don’t have the gut for that mess. What a loving terrible mess of a country.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 7, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in more "europe" than my typical news posts here, Georgia is having one of its regularly-scheduled (okay, not really, but they stand out to me because one happened the one time i visited there and screwed up the planned pride parade) "get mad outside parliament as parliament does something pro-Russia" shindigs

https://twitter.com/FormulaGe/status/1633162811671998480

the... idk, populist centre-right party? (i do not understand Georgian politics well, and they are complicated) is pushing a new foreign agent law that they're presenting as ostensibly good for EU integration efforts, though i have no idea how that logic is supposed to work. the protesters (and the EU) are very much not taking the bullshit veneer at face value

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
So far the chatter is that the ruling party was trying to push this quietly, gathering without telling anybody so all of the opposition is out of the parliament. There's molotovs and teargas flying

There probably isn't a meaningful right-left divide, the leader of the ruling party is an oligarch that made his money working with Russia and has been as friendly with them as possible considering it's a country having big chunks of it occupied by Russia

EDIT: molotovs part doesn't seem to be true

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I would make an effort post on what’s up in Poland but I don’t have the gut for that mess. What a loving terrible mess of a country.

it's incredibly grim

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

it's incredibly grim

I looked at what Guardian had to say and just sighed incredibly deep, I feel for all you Poles on this here forums :smith:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I went to (a UK) uni with a Georgian MP for one of their newer parties, he was actually a pretty nice guy. Weirdly throaty accent.

There are several new parties since the last election, but the politics there seem to still be largely in the hands of the right-wing government.

e: He has a photo with Bernie Sanders on his facebook from when he visited the US in an official capacity, so his politics probably can't be that bad either.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 7, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

it's incredibly grim

Eastern Europe: it's incredibly grim

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

edit: my sincere apologies, I shoulda googled what was actually happening, I'd had no idea.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 8, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Anne Frank Funk posted:

can we get a "we didn't invest" version of the "we forgot" thread tag featuring disappointed eastern poland advert child

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

barbecue at the folks posted:

I looked at what Guardian had to say and just sighed incredibly deep, I feel for all you Poles on this here forums :smith:

Had to check if they posted the whole story or the propaganda version and was plesantly surprised. It's the whole version!

Because the official state media are all out on "Platforma Obywatelska was hiding a pedophile in it's ranks" and "A child is dead due to Platformas MP actions" - those are both real TV banners I saw yesterday.
I hope the loving journalist and the PiS propagandist (who are both identified) hurry with an apology soon.
To the child.
In the loving afterlife.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This probably comes as the counter story to another episode of "The Catholic Church was hiding pedophiles and John Paul II knew about it" which is making the rounds in non-state news outlets these days.

At this point, I am so loving indifferent to it. We've known it for years, it's been reported, not much is changing in the institution. The Pope was a symbol of many things for older folks, but for me, born in 1990 it was always weird that he sometimes seemed more important than Jesus. Even if it was cool he was polish.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
thread on Georgian "foreign agent" law

https://twitter.com/HansGutbrod/status/1633242961549877248

also what happened in Poland is terrible :smith:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Thanks. Here's the thread unrolled: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1633242961549877248.html

Could people please post links or at least some context beyond saying how things suck? It comes across pretty cryptic especially if you read it like a day later and the story is no longer in the headlines. I think I managed to find the Guardian article on Poland though: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/07/poland-ruling-party-under-fire-after-suicide-of-opposition-mps-son

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kikas posted:

The Pope was a symbol of many things for older folks, but for me, born in 1990 it was always weird that he sometimes seemed more important than Jesus. Even if it was cool he was polish.

While they were both important, the Pope was not one of (((those))) people which has to make a difference.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

having not actually read the story in question before shitposting (forgive me thread, i had to look it up after the fact, afaik it wasn't actually posted here), i apologize. that was blind generic PiS bullshit shitposting, i was not aware. yeesh. yeesh.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Thanks. Here's the thread unrolled: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1633242961549877248.html

Could people please post links or at least some context beyond saying how things suck? It comes across pretty cryptic especially if you read it like a day later and the story is no longer in the headlines. I think I managed to find the Guardian article on Poland though: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/07/poland-ruling-party-under-fire-after-suicide-of-opposition-mps-son

I regained my constitution somewhat. Let me put things in perspective. TW: suicide

1. there was a pedophile in the ranks of PO, he had access to children of politicians and eventually he molested and drugged kids of PO MP. The court proceedings were done in secrecy so as not to put additional stress on the victims.
2. the pedophile has been sentenced
3. concurrently we now witness breaking down of the last taboo w/r/t openly speaking about john paul 2 as a church pedophile enabler (it has long been suggested that he simply didn't know what was going on, now we have documents, including ones signed by karol wojtyła himself prior to becoming the pope, where he instructs to keep things quiet about pedophilia of his subordinates and to move them to another place - standard church procedure). To the extent that even strongly catholic media and journalists admit that it's a scandal (well, some of them because there's no fixing the cancer that is pis and its admirers.
4. since it's apparent that the pope related stuff is going to be present in the public discourse and of course pis has to regain control by any means necessary, a pis adjacent journalists posts about the up to now secret court proceedings about the PO pedophile, including easy to trace information about his victims. In no vague terms the narrative is set to imply that PO and in general political opposition want to bring the church down while at the same time hiding and protecting pedophiles in their ranks.
5. this is quickly digested by the media at large and pretty much instantly everyone knows who did what, to whom.
6. this results in the suicide of one of the victims
7. pis DOUBLES DOWN, what else could we expect. Victim blaming, blaming the mother, blaming PO representatives for deanonymizing the victims (yes, the thing that the pis lackey did is now PO's fault because, once it was already out in the open, one of the PO guys said that yes, the matter concerns children of PO politician.) Just unbelievable stuff, incessantly hammering it in public tv.
8. pis also doubles down on loving the loving pope, putting banners with him and his famous "do not be afraid" quote all over social media

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm not Polish, but lived here for 10 years and married to a pole. The political situation here has degraded a lot in that time and wasn't great to begin with. PiS and their apparatchiks at TVP are really some of the lowest, cruelest, most dishonest people I've ever seen in politics.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I regained my constitution somewhat. Let me put things in perspective. TW: suicide
:words:
Thanks. That article explained what just happened but this is helpful for the bigger picture.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

in more "europe" than my typical news posts here, Georgia is having one of its regularly-scheduled (okay, not really, but they stand out to me because one happened the one time i visited there and screwed up the planned pride parade) "get mad outside parliament as parliament does something pro-Russia" shindigs

https://twitter.com/FormulaGe/status/1633162811671998480

the... idk, populist centre-right party? (i do not understand Georgian politics well, and they are complicated) is pushing a new foreign agent law that they're presenting as ostensibly good for EU integration efforts, though i have no idea how that logic is supposed to work. the protesters (and the EU) are very much not taking the bullshit veneer at face value
These protesters are going to be labeled as nazis, aren't they.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Not one, but two... two bills to put in law the protection of good name of Karol W., former head of the Vatican will be voted on in sejm. Or perhaps signed into law by acclamation?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Not one, but two... two bills to put in law the protection of good name of Karol W., former head of the Vatican will be voted on in sejm. Or perhaps signed into law by acclamation?

Can't wait to go to jail for calling jp2 a kidfucker-advocate on twitter

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks. That article explained what just happened but this is helpful for the bigger picture.

These protesters are going to be labeled as nazis, aren't they.

Nah the government only has a tenuous hold on power, they ended up backing down and withdrawing the bill.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
It gets "funnier"

Polish government demanded US ambassador to Poland explain himself for the actions of the partially US-owned TVN station (who were the ones to air the document about the pope's "oopsie"). Since, you know, calling the pope a Kidfucker Enabler is a part of Russia's HYBRID WARFARE, sows DIVISION and is pretty much the knife stabbing at the very heart of Polishness.

A bit later they realized that ordering about the US ambassador like that is actually a Big Deal so they changed it to just an "invitation for a chat"

CAtofascists will literally damage international relations to defend child molesters instead of going to therapy

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

USA’s hybrid warfare against Polish society actually.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Duda still hopes that he can get on the international lecture circuit like Wałęsa and live off that for the next 40 years. I think the US diplomats use this as a carrot and will literally laugh in his face when his presidency ends, and the only place he’ll be able to give lectures in some Szkoła Wyższa in Eastern Poland.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

Duda still hopes that he can get on the international lecture circuit like Wałęsa and live off that for the next 40 years. I think the US diplomats use this as a carrot and will literally laugh in his face when his presidency ends, and the only place he’ll be able to give lectures in some Szkoła Wyższa in Eastern Poland.

I'm sure CPAC will have him on at least once.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Completely off topic, I'm in Canada and am looking to send a wire transfer to a friend in Poland (15,700 zł). However, the recipient bank (ING Bank Śląski) rejected it and said I need to provide more information to make sure I'm meeting economic sanctions requirements (I'm guessing it's something to do with the war).

I'm going to my bank later today to find out what additional information ING wanted but I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences in dealing with wires from outside of the EU or if you have any suggestions for other methods of sending the money (not bitcoin).

I don't want to derail the thread so feel free to PM me or email me at mr.apollo @ gmail.com.

Dziękuję bardzo :)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

Completely off topic, I'm in Canada and am looking to send a wire transfer to a friend in Poland (15,700 zł). However, the recipient bank (ING Bank Śląski) rejected it and said I need to provide more information to make sure I'm meeting economic sanctions requirements (I'm guessing it's something to do with the war).

I'm going to my bank later today to find out what additional information ING wanted but I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences in dealing with wires from outside of the EU or if you have any suggestions for other methods of sending the money (not bitcoin).

I don't want to derail the thread so feel free to PM me or email me at mr.apollo @ gmail.com.

Dziękuję bardzo :)

That's around $4k that you're sending, which is large enough to attract the attention of a few standard risk management mechanisms in retail banking.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's around $4k that you're sending, which is large enough to attract the attention of a few standard risk management mechanisms in retail banking.
That thought had occurred to me also. I’ve sent larger amounts within North America before without any problems. However, I guess the EU stricter requirements.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

That thought had occurred to me also. I’ve sent larger amounts within North America before without any problems. However, I guess the EU stricter requirements.

The EU has generally stricter requirements, yes, but also, among the EU member states, Poland has some of the strictest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think EU's KYC equivalent is for transactions over 15k EUR (while US's is 10k USD).