Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

On the one hand Andor presents a very sanitized version of a movie about World War II resistance fighters/the Holocaust, on the other the best Star Wars has always served as an early reader for its influences, so as Star Wars stuff goes it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nick Kroll playing Larry David playing Judas in Mel Brooks’ History of the World Part II was really good, but the last two episodes felt like it’s kinda gassing out. Those first four eps got some real gold though, and I really hope it ends in a big spectacle like the first one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rogue One is a movie being pulled 3 ways, Gareth Edwards trying to make a gritty realistic war docudrama kind of thing, Tony Gilroy stepping in after Gareth Edwards forgot to make an actual story out of it and Disney making GBS threads it up with a bunch of fanwank.

It's a mess but the first two things at least make it interesting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There was something interesting in Rogue One about introducing the idea that the Rebellion was full of war criminals and resorted to a lot of evil to win. Saw Guerrero was originally going to have much more presence in the story, a guy who was supposed to be a mirror of Darth Vader: body replaced by machine, breathing with mechanical assistance, his humanity metaphorically lost. The later drafts de-emphasized him and it seemed a little clumsy how they shuffled him around

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

While we're on Star Wars, I'm finishing up Clone Wars now after years of avoiding it, and at its best I'd put it up there with Empire and Andor. You could easily make a better prequel trilogy out of it than what we got. The low points are pretty loving dire though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's fine to not like a star wars movie

Yeah but if you like star wars at all you should like rogue one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Steve Yun posted:

There was something interesting in Rogue One about introducing the idea that the Rebellion was full of war criminals and resorted to a lot of evil to win. Saw Guerrero was originally going to have much more presence in the story, a guy who was supposed to be a mirror of Darth Vader: body replaced by machine, breathing with mechanical assistance, his humanity metaphorically lost. The later drafts de-emphasized him and it seemed a little clumsy how they shuffled him around

And then he dies for no good reason whatsoever.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but if you like star wars at all you should like rogue one.

Nah.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty common reading for some reason all over the internet, no idea why, don't think it's supported at all. It reeks of "actually the Rugrats are all dead and imaginations of Angelica" creepypasta.

There's something to be said for the fact that everything that happens to her after she hits her head is basically her worst nightmare, but I also don't think it adds anything.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I've seen the the end of Rogue One several times before AEW Dynamite starts and the scene where Vader wrecks poo poo and kills fools on Leia's ship owns. It feels like nothing else in the movie could live up to that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pretty sure if I saw Rogue One in elementary school I'd think it was the coolest poo poo ever, that's also not coincidentally why the last star wars film I actually enjoyed was the phantom menace: I was in like 3rd grade

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Steve Yun posted:

Every interesting scene is either edited to death, feels like it's from a different movie entirely, or both. Andor doesn't even really get a personality until the show Andor, and most of the other characters we're supposed to care about dying get about two lines each. Dead-eyed CGI Leia as the capper following 'Darth Vader DESTROYS rebels fan film 2017'.

A totally incongruous collection of scenes, which to me rates lower than something like Attack of the Clones which is bad but at least someone's bad singular vision and feels like it was finished?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wolfsheim posted:

Every interesting scene is either edited to death, feels like it's from a different movie entirely, or both. Andor doesn't even really get a personality until the show Andor, and most of the other characters we're supposed to care about dying get about two lines each. Dead-eyed CGI Leia as the capper following 'Darth Vader DESTROYS rebels fan film 2017'.

A totally incongruous collection of scenes, which to me rates lower than something like Attack of the Clones which is bad but at least someone's bad singular vision and feels like it was finished?

I need to watch it again as I definitely don't' remember it like this.. .but I mean it notoriously went through post hell and reshoots and still came out the best Star Wars film since Empire.

It's look/setting/prod values/performances along trump any dumbass story telling from literally any of the other movies.

Wait... do I hate Star Wars?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly them doing the whole Space Che is actually kinda just like the Darth Vader he's fighting just sounds like centrist bullshit disguised as nuance

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I need to watch it again as I definitely don't' remember it like this.. .but I mean it notoriously went through post hell and reshoots and still came out the best Star Wars film since Empire.

It's look/setting/prod values/performances along trump any dumbass story telling from literally any of the other movies.

I've got good news: if you're into expensive production values, big action scenes and good actors saying lines so heavily rewritten that they barely make sense after a hellish series of reshoots and mismanagement and you actively hate Star Wars, you should check out this other film called Rise of the Skywalker because I think you're really gonna love it

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I remember liking Rogue One in the theaters. I recently rewatched it and realized I just like Donnie Yen.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's something to be said for the fact that everything that happens to her after she hits her head is basically her worst nightmare, but I also don't think it adds anything.

I'm a fan of the Vertigo "everything after Jimmy Stewart goes insane was just part of his delusion, and also that ghost was real" theory personally.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wolfsheim posted:

I've got good news: if you're into expensive production values, big action scenes and good actors saying lines so heavily rewritten that they barely make sense after a hellish series of reshoots and mismanagement and you actively hate Star Wars, you should check out this other film called Rise of the Skywalker because I think you're really gonna love it

I need to watch the new trilogy again... maybe sober this time? I don't remember any of it lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im watching perry mason, its very noir. it seems fine. I love john lithgow tho so im gonna keep watching it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BonoMan posted:

I found great peace in my life when I realized there has only been 2 1/2 good star wars

hope and empire and 1/4th of return and 1/8th of rogue one and 1/8th of last jedi btw

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 8, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly them doing the whole Space Che is actually kinda just like the Darth Vader he's fighting just sounds like centrist bullshit disguised as nuance

I think Saw is meant to be less Space Che and more Space Bin Laden, they certainly changed the character's looks to be more reminiscent of him in the reshoots.

I think they wanted to saw something about America's changing attitudes towards guerilla fighters between the 70s and now. There's a big through line in the movie about the differences between rebelling because you're unhappy with what's happening and rebelling because you think you can change things for the better.

Plus I still like the construction in the beginning of Mothma standing in front of a display with clean straight lines while Jyn stands in front of one with erratic lines and hard edges.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

star wars was awesome in the 90s when it was just the three VHS tapes and a whole bunch of Timothy Zahn and Michael A Stackpole novels

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

I found great peace in my life when I realized there has only been 2 1/2 good star wars

hope and empire and 1/4th of return and 1/8th of rogue one and 1/8th of last jedi btw

hmmmm think you're forgetting something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neyY2qC9pCA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wolfsheim posted:

This rules because I watch the video every few years and i'm super entertained by it and then i forget it exists 15 mins after.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

poo poo you right. the campy poo poo in prequel is pretty fun.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I just watched Tár and I have a question that I haven’t been able to find an answer to: After Lydia tackles the other conductor and is pulled off of him, there’s a shot of a musician making a mark on the sheet music. What is that mark and does it mean something related to the plot?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I would be down for an MH370 documentary but not 4.5 hours of one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

star wars was awesome in the 90s when it was just the three VHS tapes and a whole bunch of Timothy Zahn and Michael A Stackpole novels

Don't forget the ewok movies

and the droids/ewoks cartoons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Nick Lachey reality tv cinematic universe on Neflix sure is somethin.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

The Nick Lachey reality tv cinematic universe on Neflix sure is somethin.

It's crazy how many completely toxic, if not outright abusive, personalities Netflix is willing to try to sell as incredibly desirable singles

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, the “Nick Nolte as Not Phil Tippett” episode of Poker Face is so good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, the “Nick Nolte as Not Phil Tippett” episode of Poker Face is so good

And Phil actually made all the creatures used in the episode!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Deadite posted:

I just watched Tár and I have a question that I haven’t been able to find an answer to: After Lydia tackles the other conductor and is pulled off of him, there’s a shot of a musician making a mark on the sheet music. What is that mark and does it mean something related to the plot?

In the script, it says (not really a spoiler but w/e)

quote:

Knut leans forward with a pencil and draws the sign of the cross on the last measure played.
I don't know whether that's a standard symbol for orchestras, but certainly has other meanings that could be relevant. I don't think it is supposed to have some definitive plot related meaning.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Wikipedia tells me that in music notation a saltire or cross is used to mark a “ghost note”, which is sort of an unheard percussive effect, the best example I can come up with is all the little things happening during the classic “amen break” drum loop

So a ghost note, could just be the musician giving themselves a cheeky reminder of the weird thing that happened on stage, could be also alluding to the ghost of the girl who killed herself. Idk like I said the movie is a giant Easter egg hunt

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I enjoyed Rogue One in theaters but then on a rewatch at home I didn't like it nearly as much.

My biggest gripe with it is that Jyn is mostly just along for the ride instead of actively participating in the story. There's the scene where the Imperial is reading off her list of offenses against the Empire and it's like, hey, show that, that list sounds like a better movie than the one I'm watching.

They do a similar thing in Guardians of the Galaxy but there I buy it because it matches up to their personalities. Jyn is so passive in Rogue One that when they read her rap sheet I go "nah, I don't believe it."

I liked Andor a lot though so mark me down as another. Only complaint I have with Andor is that the logo coming into view at the start of each episode feels like it takes several full minutes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
No way that's the best part! It's simple, quick (unlike other shows that have to have basically a short film for their credit sequence) and it introduces a different version of the theme each time.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It's quick??

If it does a variation of the theme that's pretty cool but my dense rear end didn't notice it at all.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It’s not prestige tv if it doesn’t have a 6 minute long gritty blues song intro with a bunch of slide guitar and a gravelly voiced gritty boy singing bout hard times

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

smug n stuff posted:

In the script, it says (not really a spoiler but w/e)

I don't know whether that's a standard symbol for orchestras, but certainly has other meanings that could be relevant. I don't think it is supposed to have some definitive plot related meaning.

Thanks, I thought I was missing something since that was focused on specifically while a lot of things in the movie are left in the margins for people to find on their own.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Papercut posted:

It's crazy how many completely toxic, if not outright abusive, personalities Netflix is willing to try to sell as incredibly desirable singles

just started watching perfect match without any background or context and it seems like it's mostly a grift for more Instagram followers so that's kinda fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

just started watching perfect match without any background or context and it seems like it's mostly a grift for more Instagram followers so that's kinda fun

Yeah Perfect Match breaks the illusion, because if you're turning these people into career dating show personalities, then obviously they have huge disincentive to actually settle into a relationship. MTV was wise enough to take all the idiots and put them on drunken challenge shows instead of pretending they're still dating shows.