Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

scranton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Hexigrammus posted:

Excellent news. It took me a long time to realize that while animals are cool and interesting, it's the plants, stupid!

And below that, the fungi and their mycorrhiza... maybe I'll :crackping: on bacteria before I die.
microbes are fascinating and i know i will never understand anything about them because there's just so many of them of so many kinds that categorisation becomes impossible. i already had that realisation with bugs, i started trying to learn every single species of fly in my local area and was immediately consumed with awe. birds are difficult enough

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

do not get me started on the dazzling biodiversity of Eucalyptus or Acacia. thousands of species, coinhabiting, impossible to tell apart, but scientific people insist that you get the exact correct latin name for every single specimen because ?? ??? ??????

stop naming everything! they're constantly interbreeding! you'll never be satisfied. it just gives you more names to get depressed over when they specifically go extinct

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Mar 8, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

hell

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

we are all just trees in the forest

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

a strange fowl posted:

microbes are fascinating and i know i will never understand anything about them because there's just so many of them of so many kinds that categorisation becomes impossible. i already had that realisation with bugs, i started trying to learn every single species of fly in my local area and was immediately consumed with awe. birds are difficult enough

Speciation is a function time and isolation and genetic drift.

New unique species of fruit fly identified in goon lair adapted to artificial light, recirculated air, and subsisting on cheeto dust, Drosphilia goonensis has a dazzling orange pigmentation due to its diet and need to blend in amongst the crumbs.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the nine billion names of bug

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

im only offended by your terrible posting

he's some dumb content: https://twitter.com/MikeHudema/status/1633233017065054213

This guy (the tweet) is the biggest loving moron.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Seatbelts posted:

This guy (the tweet) is the biggest loving moron.
same

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

a strange fowl posted:

same but moths, I love butterflies and kinda low ley survey them and count them for local recording groups and stuff. Thought "they this is neat, lets look at moths next!"

Here in the UK there's about 60 different species of butterflies and realistically in any local area you're looking at about 20 you can realistically see outside of rare occurrences.

Moths, fuckin MOTHS, over 2500 with macro, micro and regular moths, its mind boggling and you get ones that are like 4mm in size and they only way you can tell it's X species is by identifying a small black dot on the underwing or some poo poo.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
charismatic millifauna

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

OIL PANIC posted:

charismatic millifauna

such as the bdelloid rotifer

:3:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this thread needs a little optimism
https://twitter.com/vp/status/1633654509955080194
there :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
yeah we’re so good at doing things together lately :)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Hubbert posted:

such as the bdelloid rotifer

:3:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

thank god. i've been really worried about this

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lol the whole human race is getting Baghdad Bob’d

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i wasn't sure before, but now that a cuban american singer songwriter and a TED knockoff with such great talks as "the problem with offices is not enough bright colors" and "what do dogs think about" i'm confident that we will tackle this little climate crisis

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Chamale posted:

The environmental impact of the TroutBlender 3000 is minimal

once the salmon die we should dam all the rivers

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

drat the rivers

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

The same woman that brought us 'water wars are coming asap' is telling me not to worry.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

im only offended by your terrible posting

he's some dumb content: https://twitter.com/MikeHudema/status/1633233017065054213

this extincts the salmon

kater
Nov 16, 2010

tbf lots of things do that

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxz3HMACLQ

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

president joseph r biden is a rapist who publicly sniffs children op. hm maybe I should go bump that thread

Bumped the thread because of this reminder, thanks

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1633866154942042112?s=20

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

he’s correct

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
He's right, but that's some ominous vibes coming from him.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've never expected people to stop eating consumers because I didn't know it was happening. But now that I do, I fully support it

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
There are 21,000 pieces of plastic in the ocean for each person on Earth

quote:

Humans have filled the world’s oceans with more than 170 trillion pieces of plastic, dramatically more than previously estimated, according to a major study released Wednesday. The trillions of plastic particles — a “plastic smog,” in the words of the researchers — weigh roughly 2.4 million metric tons and are doubling about every six years, according to the study conducted by a team of international researchers led by Marcus Eriksen of the 5 Gyres Institute, based in Santa Monica, Calif. That is more than 21,000 pieces of plastic for each of the Earth’s 8 billion residents. Most pieces are very small.

every six years! by the time industrialization ends, the oceans will be more plastic than water, an incredible achievement

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

He's right. Companies have to stop ~ selling it ~ and that will only be accomplished through gov regulations which will lol never happen.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"more than previously estimated" you say

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Everyone knows that individual consumption choices are meaningless, the only question is whether you arrive at the correct solution (forced degrowth) or the one designed to continue shoveling money at the rich as everything collapses (technical innovation).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Everyone knows that individual consumption choices are meaningless, the only question is whether you arrive at the correct solution (forced degrowth) or the one designed to continue shoveling money at the rich as everything collapses (technical innovation).

I wonder which one Bill Gates Computer Lord thinks we should try

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1633870879955509249

Lmfao.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

I wonder which one Bill Gates Computer Lord thinks we should try

hes still trying to get the new epstein to call him

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You'd think they'd do something but alas.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Train derailments are perfectly natural and it requires unimaginable hubris to believe that silly ideas such as improving your infrastructure or hiring more people could actually stop them. You probably also want to try nuking hurricanes. Allow the trains to derail freely, as nature intended.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Microplastics posted:

I've never expected people to stop eating consumers because I didn't know it was happening. But now that I do, I fully support it

Because of biomagnification meat consumers are very unhealthy to eat. I supposed people have a right to tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

On another note, remember Cyclone Freddy from early last month?

Well, it's still kickin and absolutely smashing records!

Higgins Storm Chasing posted:

* FREDDY is one of four systems to traverse the entirety of the Indian Ocean (LITANNE 1994, LEON-ELINE 2000 & HUDAH 2000 were the other 3).
* FREDDY is the ONLY known tropical cyclone to achieve 6 seperate rapid intensification cycles
* FREDDY reached Category 5 strength twice, and even spent a period of time at Category 5 US strength (Cat 5 in the US is stronger than Cat 5 in AUS) with peak sustained winds of 265km/h and gusts much higher than 300km/h.
* FREDDY is now the longest-lived tropical system - surpassing Hurricane JOHN at 34 days. Its expected that FREDDY will get to at least 37 or 38 days before finally dissipating.

How fucken good is climate change?!