Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lots of Buster Keaton now out on the channel. I’ve never seen any. What are some favorites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

Lots of Buster Keaton now out on the channel. I’ve never seen any. What are some favorites?

The General is his most well-known, so start there. It's short, creative and still impressive.

For a short, go for Cops.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

His first independent short, One Week, is a riot. Aside from The General, check out College and Three Ages for features.

A shame they don't have IMO his second-best feature, Seven Chances.

Just poke around though, I've never seen bad (silent) Keaton. :D

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The General was interesting. All of the train duel stuff is fun in seeing the various ways the trains try to sabotage each other. But it is surprising to see such a pro confederate movie now while understanding this movie is 100 years old.

I had watched city lights recently so it was neat seeing the different styles of Chaplin and Keaton.

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

I’m surprised they didn’t put Sherlock Jr. up there - that’s easily my favorite of his.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
For what it's worth, Wikipedia now puts the film up on a movie's page if it's public domain in the US. They don't have every film yet but it looks to be a recent change

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

the pre-code paramount collection they got on the channel right now is awesome, highly recommend "trouble in paradise"

checkplease posted:

i just watched "steamboat bill jr." a few days ago and that was a pretty solid one. honestly keaton never lands for me in the same way chaplin does but he's still obviously an absolute legend.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Steamboat Bill, Sherlock Jr, Our Hospitality, and The General are all solid. Though no one will judge you if you put the movie on 1.2x speed between the setpieces.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

Steamboat Bill, Sherlock Jr, Our Hospitality, and The General are all solid. Though no one will judge you if you put the movie on 1.2x speed between the setpieces.

yeah, that's i guess my thing with buster keaton vs someone like charlie chaplin, keaton's work is a lot slower and more narrative than the, like, gag-a-minute stuff that chaplin was doing. i recently watched city lights and the kid on criterion and i was shocked at how fast-paced and still extremely funny they were. (also i'm a sucker for schmaltzy emotional melodrama so chaplin is just perfect for me). i still gotta watch our hospitality and the general, though, maybe i'll check those out tonight.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Out at the end of June: Pasolini 101

quote:

One of the most original and controversial thinkers of the twentieth century, Italian polymath Pier Paolo Pasolini embodied a multitude of often seemingly contradictory ideologies and identities—and he expressed them all in his provocative, lyrical, and indelible films. Relentlessly concerned with society’s downtrodden and marginalized, he elevated pimps, hustlers, sex workers, and vagabonds to the realm of saints, while depicting actual saints with a radical earthiness. Traversing the sacred and the profane, the ancient and the modern, the mythic and the personal, the nine uncompromising, often scandal-inciting features he made in the 1960s still stand—on this, the 101st anniversary of his birth—as a monument to his daring vision of cinema as a form of resistance.

Accattone
Mamma Roma
Love Meetings
Gospel According to Matthew
Hawks and the Sparrows
Oedipus Rex
Teorema
Porcile
Medea

quote:

Two shorts made by director Pier Paolo Pasolini for anthology films: La ricotta (1963) and The Sequence of the Paper Flower (1969)
Two documentaries made by Pasolini during his travels
New program on Pasolini’s visual style as told through his personal writing, narrated by actor Tilda Swinton and writer Rachel Kushner
Audio commentaries on Accattone and Teorema
Documentaries on Pasolini’s life and career featuring archival interviews with the director and his close collaborators
Episode from 1966 of the French television program Cinéastes de notre temps
Interviews with filmmakers and scholars
Trailers
New English subtitle translations
PLUS: Deluxe packaging, including a 100-page book featuring an essay and notes on the films by critic James Quandt, and writings and drawings by Pasolini

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/6588-pasolini-101

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

goddamn

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Never tried his work. Always intimidated me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kart Barfunkel posted:

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1227746326701596672?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems odd to call it “Pasolini 101” and not have his most famous movie but cool!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Give The Decameron or Canturbury Tales a spin. They're playful, creative, horny as hell, and a few of the stories will be familiar to you through cultural osmosis. They're much more approachable than, say, Salo. I haven't seen anything that will be included in this box set, and I'm pretty excited to use it as an excuse to watch them.

Escobarbarian posted:

Seems odd to call it “Pasolini 101” and not have his most famous movie but cool!

They've already got a release for Salo, and a box set for the Trilogy of Life. I'm glad it's not redundant, that kinda frustrates me.

Also it's 101 because it's his 101st birthday.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
pasolini 101: they don't all involve poop!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

pasolini 101: they don't all involve poop!

Salo disturbed me. It wasn't the violence, the torture, the rape, or the piss. It was the poo poo. The whole poo poo chapter started bad and then just got worse. I think eating the poo poo like a delicacy was really foul.

That said, it's a good movie, and one I've read, thought and written quite a bit about.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gospel According to St. Matthew is great, does this mean there was a restoration? the dvd transfer i saw forever ago was pretty beat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Gospel According to St. Matthew is great, does this mean there was a restoration? the dvd transfer i saw forever ago was pretty beat

From the specs: New 4K digital restorations of seven films and 2K digital restorations of Teorema and Medea, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've never seen any of Pasolini's films. Where do I start? I've always meant to give Salo a shot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've never seen any of Pasolini's films. Where do I start? I've always meant to give Salo a shot.

Salo if you want to dig into it and see what it's reputation is all about. Canterbury Tales or The Decameron for something more playful, less oppressive, and horny.

edit: Last year's Bracketology thread got a bunch of write ups for Salo, if you want to read goon thoughts about it. I know I wrote about it at length in there.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 9, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Salo disturbed me. It wasn't the violence, the torture, the rape, or the piss. It was the poo poo.

imo we need more posts like this

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Criterion Collection: The whole poo poo chapter started bad and then just got worse

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

imo we need more posts like this

The Circle of poo poo™ takes all comers

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

The General was interesting. All of the train duel stuff is fun in seeing the various ways the trains try to sabotage each other. But it is surprising to see such a pro confederate movie now while understanding this movie is 100 years old.

It's even more absurd - from Wikipedia: "In early 1926, Keaton's collaborator Clyde Bruckman told him about William Pittenger's 1889 memoir The Great Locomotive Chase about the 1862 Great Locomotive Chase. Keaton was a huge fan of trains and had read the book.[3] Although it was written from the Union Army perspective, Keaton did not believe that the audience would accept Confederates as villains and changed the story's point of view."

:dafuq:

Americans in 1926 (apparently): "We refuse to accept that the people who fought to preserve slavery were the baddies!"

See also: Gone with the Wind.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
This was, what, eight years after Birth of a Nation got screened at the white house and a little quote from president wilson talking about how important it is? The revival of the Klan was in full force by ‘26.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Yikes.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Future president Harry Truman also came within a hairs breadth of joining the klan around then (to help his political career in Missouri, but also because he was a cartoonishly big racist.)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Steen71 posted:

It's even more absurd - from Wikipedia: "In early 1926, Keaton's collaborator Clyde Bruckman told him about William Pittenger's 1889 memoir The Great Locomotive Chase about the 1862 Great Locomotive Chase. Keaton was a huge fan of trains and had read the book.[3] Although it was written from the Union Army perspective, Keaton did not believe that the audience would accept Confederates as villains and changed the story's point of view."

:dafuq:

Americans in 1926 (apparently): "We refuse to accept that the people who fought to preserve slavery were the baddies!"

See also: Gone with the Wind.

Southern Journalists and the Daughters of the Confederacy had begun spinning up the lies about States Rights within weeks of Robert E Lee's surrender.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

While they could have made it a complete set, the Trilogy of Life stands on its own and the set is clearly meant to be focused on his 60s films since only Teorema had been released so far. I also suspect there's a good chance of UHD upgrades of the trilogy and Salo at some point as they're MGM properties and there's already a 4K restoration of Salo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

boxset is 101, trilogy is 401, salo is 601

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the next flash sale will be next Tuesday, the 21st. Just got a $10 gift certificate for Criterion Channel subscribers. Just in time for Inland Empire.

For those new to Criterion flash sales, it's usually 50%-off on all in-stock discs. Free shipping starts at $75 within the US.

Quick list of everything that's been released since November's B&N sale...

Michael Haneke: Trilogy [The Seventh Continent/Benny's Video/71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance] - Blu-ray
Cooley High - Blu-ray
Three Films by Mai Zetterling [The Girls/Night Games/Loving Couples] - Blu-ray
The Velvet Underground - Blu-ray, DVD

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - 4K UHD/Blu-ray Combo, Blu-ray
Imitation of Life (1934) - Blu-ray, DVD
Lars Von Trier's Europe Trilogy [The Element of Crime, Epidemic, Europa] - Blu-ray box set
This is Not a Burial. It Is a Resurrection - Blu-ray, DVD
Bergman Island - Blu-ray, DVD

Three Colors Trilogy - 4K UHD/Blu-ray Combo box set
Romeo and Juliet (1968, Zeffirelli) - Blu-ray, DVD
Dazed and Confused - 4K UHD/Blu-ray Combo
Two Films by Marguerite Duras [India Song/Baxter, Vera Baxter] - Blu-ray, DVD
Hollywood Shuffle - Blu-ray

Mildred Pierce - 4K UHD/Blu-ray Combo
Last Hurrah for Chivalry - Blu-ray
Inland Empire - Blu-ray, DVD

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I got a channel $10 code that I can’t use because these cowards don’t ship to my country so if anyone wants it hmu tooken!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 14, 2023

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
drat I've got 60 bucks worth of codes at this point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
June announcements:

The Rules of the Game 4K
Time Bandits 4K
The Servant
Medicine for Melancholy

and the previously announced Pasolini set

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Escobarbarian posted:

June announcements:

The Rules of the Game 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvtQYsckLxk&t=9s

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edit EFB

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Medicine for Melancholy

Nice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At some point a couple years ago did somebody at the Criterion office say, "hey, has anybody else noticed that we don't do movies with black people in them?" and now they're trying to make up for lost time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Gripweed posted:

At some point a couple years ago did somebody at the Criterion office say, "hey, has anybody else noticed that we don't do movies with black people in them?" and now they're trying to make up for lost time?

It was somebody on Twitter and not an employee, but yeah, and they responded hey, you're right