Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Merchant is such a good job to pump JP into because full Latent gauge at the start of every battle is great for just about everyone.

Castti and Agnea obviously have really good combos with it but I just like having Partitio being able to get 4-5 attacks right off the bat or throw out a full powered buff or debuff.

I use that and the "start with an extra BP" on Hikari. I use his Latent, boost to x3 then hit enemy groups with Sougeki-whatever (the spear + sword on all enemies). It will one shot any enemy encounter in the game with decent weapons. Though I also feed Hikari seeds like he's addicted so that may help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Good lord, the finale to Throne's story was uncomfortable. Fuckin' yikes.

Also her last EX skill sure is something ridiculous. Just turn into one of your other party members for a few turns. Do it. Have Double Hikari.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The game's soundtrack is good but I'm not sure anything's quite got the earworm quality of OT1's tracks like Battle Theme I or Decisive Battle I.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ApplesandOranges posted:

The game's soundtrack is good but I'm not sure anything's quite got the earworm quality of OT1's tracks like Battle Theme I or Decisive Battle I.

Ochette's Theme would like to have a word with you

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Partitio’s theme is incredible. There’s a lot of good music!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I don't know if I'll be thinking about the ost in a couple weeks, but the music really adds to the world. Places like Beastling Village and the areas around Flamechurch stand out more to me thanks to the music, I feel.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

drat, I thought that Temenos interrogating the little kid with the haunted doll would save him, all it did was gave me an insanely good staff. I feel bad for the kid…

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The saxophone in Partitio's thing is pretty sick.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Good lord, the finale to Throne's story was uncomfortable. Fuckin' yikes.

Going from the sewers to a gondola that takes you on a long ride a secluded valley was already surreal enough to me, but then it barrels straight into horror once you start checking all their information.

There's the one woman whose dialogue changes to "give it back, give it back" in the morning and "it hurts, it hurts" at night if you take her stuffed toy and that kinda stuck with me.

Plus everything with Claude and his brood of (sometimes incest) assassins. At least, him being able to summon Marietta has the implication that she's his child.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Very important Throné detail (post-chapter 5): completing it unlocks a quest back in Wellgrove. Make sure you complete this quest.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Partitio's theme is indeed very good but it's not something I'm going to hear for hours and hours over the course of the game. OT1's battle themes were more catchy in my opinion and you're hearing them a lot.

Also just finished Throné's Chapter 3 and... wow.

Going through the Chapter 3s at a decent clip, just have Agnea and Tenemos' left and then to do Ochette's Chapter 2 and Osvald and Hikari's Chapter 4s, and I think that should get me up to date to the point where I need to start doing a bit of grinding to catch the party up.

Also I like a lot of the additional inter-character dialogue in battle they added, really helps a little immersion. Even in boss fights where you get different lines for breaking/max boosting.

Some ones I like (no specific story spoilers):

Throné after Partitio breaks an enemy: Are negotiations over?
Partitio calls Osvald "Mr. Osvald" :3:
Unlike the rest of the cast, I haven't really heard Osvald react specifically to any characters, I'm not sure he's called anyone by name.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 9, 2023

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Very important Throné detail (post-chapter 5): completing it unlocks a quest back in Wellgrove. Make sure you complete this quest.

Every character has at least one quest that opens up after finishing their story. Osvald's I found kind of cool, and is one of the reasons I like this game more than the first: His assistant wants to travel so you take her to Ochette's village, where she meets her old friend, the chief of the human village. I finished Osvald's after Ochette's so they talk about how she's learned and grown as a person. It's a cool, connected moment and I think the game is better for it. Makes me wish there were more moments like that.

Also all of the Battle Tested weapons seem to be obtained from characters after you finish a story, so make sure you check out characters that play a big role in a given Traveler's plot after you finish it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You can also grind for a 2% drop for four of them if you want the extras, from Hikari/Osvald path actions.

Almost considering it because of this superboss.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Another quick question: Does boosting effect Ochette's monsters/beast lore/provoke damage?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fridge corn posted:

Another quick question: Does boosting effect Ochette's monsters/beast lore/provoke damage?

It must, right? Most of the time it just doesn't let you boost that action at all if it would have no effect.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yup. And your chosen animal companion gets a unique attack at full boost. There's also high level monsters that require full boost to even call.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Doing Throné's Chapter 3 and Osvald's Chapter 4 back to back is a grim time.

One thing I'm noticing though is that (spoilers for Osvald/Agnea's chapter 4s and Hikari's chapter 3) the villains are getting almost cartoonishly evil. A mad scientist that wiped your (presumed dead) daughter's memories and made her think he's her dad! A tyrant that wipes a village of children to stop future rebellion! A tycoon that demands an absurd of money and wants to trample on the poor! ...Dolcinealand! I mean, it's fun, but still.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 9, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If a villain only shows up in a chapter or two, they might as well make it count by drowning a puppy, burning down an orphanage, or promoting NFTs as a legitimate business investment.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So far my plan for the game is to do all of the quests for my current team Throne, Osvald, Temenos, and Hikari, and then go back and run Ochette, Agnea, Castro, and Partitio through all of theirs and kinda hope the gear makes up for the levels gaps with minimal grinding.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The gear absolutely will.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, gear is way more of an advantage than levels most of the time.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, I haven’t tried it with his divine skill but Advanced magic hits every enemy twice and is very good.

Scholar divine skill is the Sorcerer spells from OT1.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apparently 2 has the exact same number of travel banter scenes as the first game, but they are all spaced out and not missable this time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also (almost) all of them are actually meaningfully commenting on the current situation or the characters involved.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Though some of them can be a bit tonally jarring (like Agnea’s in Castti Ch. 2 Sai)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That is the one to which I was specifically referring with the (almost), yes.

It speaks to the quality of the rest of them that that one sticks out so much, imo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It certainly helps that that douchebag Niosi (Therion, YIIK)is nowhere to be found in this game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Beat the solo boss in the Eastern Sai dungeons with Partitio (since he's my first character and all). Merchant is just a great solo job since you can Sidestep all the attacks, Rest to recover SP, and Hired Help gets you past the '1 shield but no weaknesses' phase. Gave him Arms Master so I could bulldoze past the evasion buffs and the 15 shield phase. It was slow, especially since Arrow of Fortune isn't exactly big damage, but I was never really in danger of dying.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also (almost) all of them are actually meaningfully commenting on the current situation or the characters involved.

Then there's the Peaches banter...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That one establishes Partitio as the most innocent of the travelers, very meaningful.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

gently caress, even the menus were incredibly slow in the first game.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
On the solo boss, you don't actually have to break him out of his stances either. You can survive his fully powered attack with a max BP Sacred Shield from the Cleric skillset, after which he leaves the stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKZayW_XVU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You also can use something that auto-revives you after death.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao, the storytelling for the NPCs in this game is great. I just got the Engagement Bow.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the solo boss is probably designed so that any starting protag can do it with some combination, some easier than others. My gut was that Osvald would have the toughest time (low health and no starting access to healing/defense in base class), but he does have an easier time breaking because of Elemental Barrage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Inventor just makes the early game a breeze with their stupidly good area attack skill that doesn't even use SP lol

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

precision posted:

Inventor just makes the early game a breeze with their stupidly good area attack skill that doesn't even use SP lol

Goes great on most characters but Partitio in particular because he can start the fight with full Boost.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started playing this (as Temenos). While heading to Throne's city to get her as my second party member, I came across this place that let me set Inventor as a sub-job. As far as I can tell, there's no downside to doing this? It's kind of handy for hitting weakness for Temenos's interrogate ability (at least this early; I'm sure there are better options later).

It's a very pretty game on PC.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Correct, you're basically expected to have a sub-job whenever possible since they just provide you with more stats and options.

Generally you want to look out for the guild icon whenever they show up on the map (it's a shield icon like the Inventor one) so you can get more subjobs. Shrines have an icon that looks like a harp and they give a specific character an extra skill unique to them (so the Cleric shrine will give Tenemos his skill).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lord knows how you're supposed to get all the Inventor skills without a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I got most of them with the ol' sticky fingers and dungeon nose. There were a couple items I ended up looking up.