Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, is Knotts worth an afternoon these days? Have a week in LA coming up and we're doing 2/3 days at DL, but have some concert nights with open days as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

poo poo, my entry in the IP land contest opened in 89. I thought it opened before that. And it's incredibly small (Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood at Idlewild).

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, is Knotts worth an afternoon these days? Have a week in LA coming up and we're doing 2/3 days at DL, but have some concert nights with open days as well.

It feels less themed than it did per my spouse but it's still worth the trip.

E: Story Book Forest from the same park doesn't count because it's multiple book representation but drat it's old.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 9, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Wasn't Smurf Island just a playground inside Carowinds' Hanna-Barbera area? What qualifies as a "land"? If that counts, then Tom Sawyer Island beats it by decades.

Happy Land of Hanna-Barbera was in Kings Island in '72, but that's multiple IP. Berenstain Bear Country opened at Cedar Point in '85.

No, it was an actual island in the middle of the park that the paddle boat ferry went around on a track. They had Tom Sawyer style boats to take you out there.

It shut down in the late 90s/early 00s and they eventually drained the river, paved most of it over, and that’s where Nighthawk is basically. The dock for the boats was roughly where Windseeker sits.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Less than 60 days until my trip! My kid is super into space and I was able to get a lunch reservation for 3 to Space 220- however, I was hoping she could do it as a father-daughter thing.

Are there any issues with just having 2 out of 3 people show up for a dining reservation? Do I need to make her dad the organizer of the reservation? (I’m currently listed as organizer but wouldn’t go in the desired arrangement).

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nothing wrong with undershooting reservations, in fact sometimes as a party of 2 it's the only way we can get stuff because they have way less 2 tops than 4 tops.
The only problem is your own conscience telling you someone missed out on your 4 top as a result but oh well.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
As long as 1 person in the party shows up, you aren’t a no show. It’s more of an issue if you’re trying to move from a party of 4 to 5 or party of 8 to 9 with table logistics.

We ran around as a table of 9 (one high chair) for Princess Half weekend and I am thankful that is a rare occurrence. Too many people to wrangle at mealtimes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You'll probably get in but you might run into some difficulty.

I was in the same situation once. I couldn't get a 2 person reservation for a place at DHS but I could get a 4-top for the same time slot. I went ahead and booked it. Showed up, and they definitely didn't appreciate that. They told me we needed 4 people. I think they basically put us back on the standby list because we ended up waiting 25 minutes or so before we were seated.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Jose Oquendo posted:

You'll probably get in but you might run into some difficulty.

I was in the same situation once. I couldn't get a 2 person reservation for a place at DHS but I could get a 4-top for the same time slot. I went ahead and booked it. Showed up, and they definitely didn't appreciate that. They told me we needed 4 people. I think they basically put us back on the standby list because we ended up waiting 25 minutes or so before we were seated.

Lie and say "our other 2 are running late/are on the bus" and when they never show just say "one of them got sick on the way" or whatever you lie of choice is.

They should have sat you.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Definitely depends on the restaurant but my wife was an assigner at Ohana and less was always so much less stress on the restaurant than “we have a party of 8 and we booked 4 at 7:45 and 4 at 8:15 and we want to all be seated together and also have great view of the fireworks. “

On the back end, the rule is 50% - if there’s a 4-top available at 5:00, you can book a res for 2,3, or 4 at that time. If it’s a 6-top, you can book 3, 4, 5, or 6, but couldn’t get a booking for 2.

Oh and I don’t think anyone mentioned this but the person on the reservation doesn’t have to be there they just need to know the name it was booked under.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I used to book for 6 all the time and just seat 4 with the "X fell off a curb and twisted her ankle" kind of bullshit. Always blame the park.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’ve heard the 50% and +/- one person as the “rule” from different people so it may depend on location, but you’re good for either anyway.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
the third person got sick on Cosmic Rewind and had to go back to the hotel to rest

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Cais posted:

Definitely depends on the restaurant but my wife was an assigner at Ohana and less was always so much less stress on the restaurant than “we have a party of 8 and we booked 4 at 7:45 and 4 at 8:15 and we want to all be seated together and also have great view of the fireworks. “

On the back end, the rule is 50% - if there’s a 4-top available at 5:00, you can book a res for 2,3, or 4 at that time. If it’s a 6-top, you can book 3, 4, 5, or 6, but couldn’t get a booking for 2.

Oh and I don’t think anyone mentioned this but the person on the reservation doesn’t have to be there they just need to know the name it was booked under.

We were the rear end in a top hat family who booked 4 people when we were really 6, and then we always ask for sitting right by the water. It was for Blue Bayou in DLR and it is SO HARD to get a reservation I just booked with fingers crossed. We hadn't been since before the pandemic, it used to be an annual tradition for my youngest son's birthday. We showed up 30 minutes before our time, and asked very nicely to add 2 little kids to the reservation and they eventually seated us an hour later. They asked a few times if we'd be willing to sit in the middle of the restaurant, but half the fun is the kids waving to the people floating by in the boats. One year we saw a marriage proposal, someone sitting in the restaurant was proposed to by someone in a boat holding a big sign. It was awesome!

I know it's been a rough few years for Disney dining but the food was meh and the portions were tiny. The desserts, however, were amazing and we tipped very well so hopefully it made up for the hassle of seating us. By the way, whatever happened to the bread baskets? And they didn't have the cute little birthday dessert they used to offer. Kind of a bummer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah I was at Blue Bayou in November and it was...fine? I did notice stuff seemed a little off compared to last time. I hope they improve it because the setting is loving awesome.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah I was at Blue Bayou in November and it was...fine? I did notice stuff seemed a little off compared to last time. I hope they improve it because the setting is loving awesome.

Before the pandemic, they had light-up menus so you could actually read the drat thing. I had to turn on my phone's flashlight so my kids could read the children's menu. They didn't give us any hassle for my 12-year old to order off the 8 & under kids menu, so bonus points for that. I highly doubt he would have appreciated the $50 tiny chunk of meat off the adult menu as much as he did the cheaper spaghetti on the kids menu.

But the atmosphere is choice! I will forgive a lot for being able to dine in a ride.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've never noticed there being a problem ordering off the kids menu. I used to order the mac and cheese from it just as a side for myself all the time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Universal Parks and Resorts is being rebranded as "Universal Destinations and Experiences". It makes sense I guess, they're no longer just developing parks and resorts.

But along with that announcement they showed off new logos for Universal Orlando. And... they're atrocious.

https://www.insideuniversal.net/2023/03/universal-orlando-debuts-new-logos-for-citywalk-and-theme-parks/

These look like late 90's/early 2000's graphic design student attempts at BEST. They're reminiscent of Microsoft Word WordArt. I don't understand how something like this could get approved by so many people?

Anyway, Universal got a lot of backlash and posted a reply to some people on Twitter that hinted that they are reconsidering these.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not the worst branding they've done.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Universal Parks and Resorts is being rebranded as "Universal Destinations and Experiences". It makes sense I guess, they're no longer just developing parks and resorts.

But along with that announcement they showed off new logos for Universal Orlando. And... they're atrocious.

https://www.insideuniversal.net/2023/03/universal-orlando-debuts-new-logos-for-citywalk-and-theme-parks/

These look like late 90's/early 2000's graphic design student attempts at BEST. They're reminiscent of Microsoft Word WordArt. I don't understand how something like this could get approved by so many people?

Anyway, Universal got a lot of backlash and posted a reply to some people on Twitter that hinted that they are reconsidering these.

They look like lovely mobile game logos

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bring back the Miami Vice neon bullshit, Universal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have no strong attachment to the Universal logos but the new ones are definitely not an improvement.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Another dining question- I booked Tusker house for a character breakfast at 8:05, but the park opens at 9 that day.

Does this mean my reservation is going to be unceremoniously cancelled at some point, or does it mean I’m going to have a sweet, crowd free walk to the restaurant?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

BadSamaritan posted:

Another dining question- I booked Tusker house for a character breakfast at 8:05, but the park opens at 9 that day.

Does this mean my reservation is going to be unceremoniously cancelled at some point, or does it mean I’m going to have a sweet, crowd free walk to the restaurant?

Folks have been using that to get empty Main Street shots forever.

They’ll be a dedicated turnstile to the side (and if there are ropes up later in the park, an opening) that they’ll just check your name against their list and let you through.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My trip starts May 13, so dining reservations are opening soon for me

When exactly does it open? Midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Doing a dig some places it's 05:45 EST and then others come online at 06:00 EST on the 60th day out. I guess that means you're up early on Tuesday?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
And sometimes the restaurant isn’t fully loaded for that day if it’s a weird day.

But don’t fret - just check in on and off, usually you’ll end up landing things that you want or even within the week of travel.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bring back the Miami Vice neon bullshit, Universal.

This. They still move a ton of the retro merch because the logos and colorways are timeless.

The city walk one looks sort of okay but the others just look likedressed up and cleaners versions of the current logo.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Doing a dig some places it's 05:45 EST and then others come online at 06:00 EST on the 60th day out. I guess that means you're up early on Tuesday?

gently caress!

Anya posted:

And sometimes the restaurant isn’t fully loaded for that day if it’s a weird day.

But don’t fret - just check in on and off, usually you’ll end up landing things that you want or even within the week of travel.

Yeah, in the past I've written scripts to check for openings every 5-10 minutes and text me if there is an opening and I've always gotten the restaurants I was aiming (although not always ideal times). This is the first trip I've booked before dining reservations opened so I'm hoping to get it all out of the way instead.

We're splurging this time around and aiming for Victoria and Alberts and Takumi-Tei, I don't know if those will be easier or harder to get though since they're so expensive

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I don’t know about post pandemic, but pre-pandemic not all of V&A’s reservations were available to book online, they were the only restaurant with their own dedicated reservations department and maintained a waitlist. Looks like they have their own number - 407-939-3862.

Chef’s table was always hard to find, but other than that I used to prefer people asking me for V&A over sci fi diner haha.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cais posted:

I don’t know about post pandemic, but pre-pandemic not all of V&A’s reservations were available to book online, they were the only restaurant with their own dedicated reservations department and maintained a waitlist. Looks like they have their own number - 407-939-3862.

Chef’s table was always hard to find, but other than that I used to prefer people asking me for V&A over sci fi diner haha.

Good to know, if I can't get it online at 5:45 I'll call at 10:00. We're just planning to do the dining room so hopefully it's not too difficult to get. Thanks!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Random question, but my daughter’s cheer team just received an invitation to attend a cheer competition in a couple of months. The team is trying to decide whether to rent a big house or stay in a hotel (you can supposedly book a package at one of the all stars or coranado) and I’m trying to decide whether it makes sense to have both her parents go or if will be a waste of :20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux: for airfare, park tickets that we may or may not be able to use, park food, etc to probably watch her perform once.

Has anyone participated in one of these or been in the parks while a cheer competition was going on that can tell me what it is like?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

brunch with yr parents posted:

Random question, but my daughter’s cheer team just received an invitation to attend a cheer competition in a couple of months. The team is trying to decide whether to rent a big house or stay in a hotel (you can supposedly book a package at one of the all stars or coranado) and I’m trying to decide whether it makes sense to have both her parents go or if will be a waste of :20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux: for airfare, park tickets that we may or may not be able to use, park food, etc to probably watch her perform once.

Has anyone participated in one of these or been in the parks while a cheer competition was going on that can tell me what it is like?

I only know about Disneyland, as my cousin's kid was in one of these a few weeks ago. It was for a weekend, one day of competition and if they paced at a certain level they participated in the next day's competition. They did not place very well, so they spent the second day just hanging out in the parks. But they could only hang out with the other kids, they couldn't split off with their parents or anything. It was a little odd, but there you go. If they suck, they'll have more time to hang out and ride rides. If they are decent, they might be cheering for multiple days.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

Good to know, if I can't get it online at 5:45 I'll call at 10:00. We're just planning to do the dining room so hopefully it's not too difficult to get. Thanks!

Had to swap days around a bit, but got everything I was looking for except Yak & Yeti, but I can pick that up sometime between now and then :toot:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How old is the kiddo?

You should absolutely have time to go to the parks. I haven't personally participated but I've certainly coordinated enough of them to help you out here.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How old is the kiddo?

You should absolutely have time to go to the parks. I haven't personally participated but I've certainly coordinated enough of them to help you out here.

Thanks! Her and her teammates are int the 13-15 age range. They compete on the Friday, but would need a miracle level event to advance to the next days.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Thanks! Her and her teammates are int the 13-15 age range. They compete on the Friday, but would need a miracle level event to advance to the next days.

Okay, so that's a tricky age. Are they excited by the idea of Disney or more like "ugh, well, I GUESS we can go ride the ROLLER COASTERS" type kids?

You should definitely be able to see her perform. My vote is for Coronado, but that's because it's probably my favorite hotel on the property. On the flip side, if the team were to rent a giant house, it makes transport a lot easier for off-property sight seeing, too.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Just don’t plan to go the day of the competition because those things take waaaaay longer than you think (you probably already know this)

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Coasterphreak posted:

Just don’t plan to go the day of the competition because those things take waaaaay longer than you think (you probably already know this)

Thanks! I appreciate the great advice!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Looks like I'll get to stay at the new DVC rooms at the Grand in October before we board our cruise. I was really hoping for the Poly, but oh well.

Does anyone know when Not So Scary dates/tickets will be available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I want to say it’s right around June first, after everyone has their summer vacations planned. I could be wrong though.