Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Winter is pretty brutal in Northern China IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah you get storms from the steppe that are practically sandstorms and it's cold as hell.

Interesting point about Buddhism being the war religion, can you recommend some article on that? It kind of makes sense but I haven't really thought about it that way.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

pidan posted:

Yeah you get storms from the steppe that are practically sandstorms and it's cold as hell.

Interesting point about Buddhism being the war religion, can you recommend some article on that? It kind of makes sense but I haven't really thought about it that way.

God, I read that so long ago. I'm...think I first read that in Kenneth Chen's Chinese Transformation of Buddhism?

The fundamental logic is mostly comparative: in Confucianism, immortality is achieved through your remains being on your family's land and the conintued veneration by your descendants, and Taoist immortality is "you literally are immortal," both of which are very uncomforting if you die on the campaign trail.

It's fairly easy to get caught up in the issue that Buddhist canon has some very clear proscriptions against violence, but its important to remember that so do Judaism and Christianity, and that hasn't really stopped either of those from having full-on militant religious orders and crusades and so on. My own general perspective is that religions that survive for long periods of time have to conform their teachings to the interests of the politically powerful. Politically powerful people don't like being told that killing their neighbors to seize their land is not merely abstractly vaguely wrong, but very explicitly horrendously wrong, so if you want your religion or philosophy to thrive, you...figure something out.

Feel like I should take a moment to clarify how I'm using "northern China" here. Some of the stuff that we think of today as northern China, notably Inner Mongolia and the three Manchurian provinces, would in a lot of Chinese history simply be "not China." I'm referring to basically the Yellow River Valley and North China Plain, with the dividing line between north n south being the Qinling-Huaihe line. Which can still get pretty bad winters! But Beijing is more the northern limit of the area I'm talking about than its center.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Just to nitpick, in practice a Taoist who achieves immortality becomes an ethereal spirit. This makes the decision of dozens of emperors to die of mercury and vermillion poisoning make a little bit more sense. I've read that these wraiths can be seen in landscape paintings enjoying an eternity of contemplating nature but I've never been able to pick one out.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

War and Pieces posted:

Just to nitpick, in practice a Taoist who achieves immortality becomes an ethereal spirit. This makes the decision of dozens of emperors to die of mercury and vermillion poisoning make a little bit more sense. I've read that these wraiths can be seen in landscape paintings enjoying an eternity of contemplating nature but I've never been able to pick one out.

Good nitpick.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Tulip posted:

It's fairly easy to get caught up in the issue that Buddhist canon has some very clear proscriptions against violence, but its important to remember that so do Judaism and Christianity, and that hasn't really stopped either of those from having full-on militant religious orders and crusades and so on. My own general perspective is that religions that survive for long periods of time have to conform their teachings to the interests of the politically powerful. Politically powerful people don't like being told that killing their neighbors to seize their land is not merely abstractly vaguely wrong, but very explicitly horrendously wrong, so if you want your religion or philosophy to thrive, you...figure something out.

Theravada buddhists are literally some of the most hardcore anti communists out there, although that doesn't really have much to do with premodern history. Lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
If you see the buddah on the road, force him to work in your sweatshop.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Highly relevant to the discussion of the historicity of the Greek Phalanx
https://youtu.be/inbbdH3qdpQ

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/FromKulak/status/1633651085847019520

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm not going to read that; there is a loving mountain of evidence that (Knights in particular) wore bright heraldry to identify each other in battle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doesn't that person have a history of scalding hot history takes?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slavvy posted:

who, the person in the rhodesian shirt that someguy keeps posting??

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I read a piece with that thesis a few weeks ago, not sure if it was the same one. Their argument was: medieval clothes would have bright colours when they were new, but they would lose colour very quickly when people traveled and were exposed to the elements. And since clothes were expensive, people would wear them as long as they could. Therefore, showing people in bright colours is not authentic, unless the clothes were supposed to be new. For example, an army on the march or a guy adventuring in a swamp should have clothes that had most of the dye stripped.

It makes some sense on the face of it. I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle. If you can only buy new clothes once every few years, cloth makers will be expecting that and will dye things in such a way that they don't instantly bleach out at the first sign of water or sunlight. On the other hand, there's only so much you can do to prevent that.

Either way I think the main goal of movie costumes isn't to look authentic but to look aesthetic. Films that want to look like medieval imagery still go for brightly colored clothing (e.g. The Green Knight) and films that want to look generic Hollywood cool will go for muted tones and leather coats, e.g. that film about Timothée Chalamet as Henry V. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all alike.

E: it should be noted that it wasn't really possible (for Europeans??) to dye cloth black until the renaissance or so, at which point people went fairly nuts with it and black has stayed fashionable ever since.

pidan has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Mar 9, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

edit never mind your edit preemptively answered my question

Endman
May 18, 2010

Regular soldiers’ clothing would certainly be worn and faded to at least some degree, and made with less expensive dyes, but you bet your rear end a knight is travelling around with several changes of clothes so he can look as fancy as possible when arrayed for battle.

If we’re talking 13th to 14th century, you’d even make sure your horse had a fresh caparison emblazoned with your heraldry.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
You can just redye clothing if you wanted to freshen it up. Unlike weaving a new piece of fabric, it's simple enough that any peasant could do it. There were economical dyes like woad or madder were commercially produced/traded because they were actually colourfast. But the real cheap dyes were just made in people's backyards from local nuts or roots or rusty filings and whatever else could add colour for a short time. Most regular people only needed to be colourful for special occasions so it was fine.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Look up the Bocksten Man, you'll see medieval people look like people in the LotR movies.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Agean90 posted:

my back starts to hurt just taking too long to do the dishes I think people itt massively underestimating how much it would suck to do farming where the highest technology you have is a plow and an ox you need to pay someone to use.

dude can you imagine just having some clay dishes and trying to get them clean with soda ash or whatever the gently caress you probably don't even have enough of + don't know enough to care to wash it that good

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Grevling posted:

Look up the Bocksten Man, you'll see medieval people look like people in the LotR movies.

Short?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mawarannahr posted:

dude can you imagine just having some clay dishes and trying to get them clean with soda ash or whatever the gently caress you probably don't even have enough of + don't know enough to care to wash it that good

scouring surfaces with sand or whatever other abrasive in water works well with or without soap. soap without scouring is the real pain in the rear end and i'm not sure if that was ever much of a thing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

pidan posted:

E: it should be noted that it wasn't really possible (for Europeans??) to dye cloth black until the renaissance or so, at which point people went fairly nuts with it and black has stayed fashionable ever since.

im fairly sure that at least the chinese knew how to make black dyes way back when

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Weka posted:

Short?

Clothing was what I meant but that too.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

pidan posted:

Either way I think the main goal of movie costumes isn't to look authentic but to look aesthetic. Films that want to look like medieval imagery still go for brightly colored clothing (e.g. The Green Knight) and films that want to look generic Hollywood cool will go for muted tones and leather coats, e.g. that film about Timothée Chalamet as Henry V. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all alike.

They absolutely should have bust out the technicolor Britannia hereldry for the titular scene in The Last Duel

this is just sad

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Grevling posted:

Clothing was what I meant but that too.

Yeah, preserved suits of armor are tiny by today’s standards. Not only built for thin dudes, but also pretty short ones, usually in the 165-175 cm range

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mawarannahr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydoRAbpWfCU

Don't have to imagine, here's a documentary where they test it and show you.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yeah, preserved suits of armor are tiny by today’s standards. Not only built for thin dudes, but also pretty short ones, usually in the 165-175 cm range

Is this "everyone was short" or like how you have to have a certain build to be a jockey?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You can just redye clothing if you wanted to freshen it up. Unlike weaving a new piece of fabric, it's simple enough that any peasant could do it. There were economical dyes like woad or madder were commercially produced/traded because they were actually colourfast. But the real cheap dyes were just made in people's backyards from local nuts or roots or rusty filings and whatever else could add colour for a short time. Most regular people only needed to be colourful for special occasions so it was fine.

The sense I get is it's a lot like tie dye - it'll be real fresh at first, and then wear down. Then you dye over it and get cool patterns and rock and roll. There's a technique to getting the color to stick so you'd of course get a range of wear based on the cloth, the skill, etc.

In some of the more entrenched hippie communities there's a natural dye fashion thing thats been happening as long as I've been aware. The difference is compared to modern dyes, which give you like this kinda spectrum:

vs this:

Still definitely a rainbow but there's something... earthy there. This company does madder and indigo too, so a range of fastness.

Maybe this is splitting hairs but I never liked "technicolor" for the latter - there's definitely a bright variety but it feels very, smeared almost.

mawarannahr posted:

Soda ash reminds me so much of like when you accidentally get dishwasher detergent in the sink, like it almost feels pre-lathered. idk I don't think it would be so bad as long as I could boil poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Redmayne, cuckoo and golden order are all clearly visible there

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

Is this "everyone was short" or like how you have to have a certain build to be a jockey?

People were short. Commoners around ten centimeters shorter than nobles. We have data for Britain for the past two thousand years and some eras were almost at twentieth century levels, notably the peak Roman era and the early Middle Ages. Probably due to warm climate and abundance of food. The late Middle Ages were dire. Health and nutrition are factors, but so is overpopulation, all three affecting the poor workers from the Industrial Revolution era negatively as well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

People were short. Commoners around ten centimeters shorter than nobles. We have data for Britain for the past two thousand years and some eras were almost at twentieth century levels, notably the peak Roman era and the early Middle Ages. Probably due to warm climate and abundance of food. The late Middle Ages were dire. Health and nutrition are factors, but so is overpopulation, all three affecting the poor workers from the Industrial Revolution era negatively as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Terrible graph cause you can't tell which line is what

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Slavvy posted:

Terrible graph cause you can't tell which line is what

height is the one that went up a lot lately

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gently caress you for posting that without a legend

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
If you quoted what you could see of text in the legend you'd find the source. you dont have to be upset, although it is discourteous to do such a sloppy snip job of it

http://oro.open.ac.uk/53774/ has a link to the pdf manuscript

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Slavvy posted:

the last part of that article uses a jacket in the all quiet on the western front remake to ask whether wwi was the first holocaust, so yes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cuttlefush posted:

If you quoted what you could see of text in the legend you'd find the source. you dont have to be upset, although it is discourteous to do such a sloppy snip job of it

http://oro.open.ac.uk/53774/ has a link to the pdf manuscript

they should of invested some of their additional wages into more CMs imo

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
loving economists

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

JamesKPolk posted:

I've never heard of a knight being excluded for being too tall, and there's plenty of descriptions of tall knights, it was just that nutrition sucked for everyone, even if it sucked less for the ranks of society from which knights were drawn. Childhood nutrition in particular makes a huge difference in terms of overall size as an adult, and even if knights might never have actually experienced famine themselves, crop failures were a regular thing up until quite recently.

It isn't a great comparison, but think of knights a little like modern athletes. Even knowing what we know now about nutrition, we still have plenty of professional athletes under 6' and 200 lbs. Go back a century and look at the size of pro athletes and it's a whole other world. You hear people who are 6' 200 lbs described as if they were goliaths.

Like, just to put this into numbers, from the 20s to the 40s offensive linemen in football, who are among the largest athletes, were on average about 220 lbs. Today it's about 100 lbs heavier, but that was the largest athletes around coming in at 220 lbs when that is now closer to the size of a running back.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Slavvy posted:

yes theyre some guy tt's latest twitter obsession

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
imo this and the modern history thread should be no tweet zones, minus maybe interesting ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Still definitely a rainbow but there's something... earthy there. This company does madder and indigo too, so a range of fastness.

I think modern hippies are a problematic comparison, because they deliberately want earthy colors for the aesthetic. In medieval times, people mostly didn't care about that (with some exceptions), because they had no "chemicals" to compare them to. So they'd dye things multiple times one over the other to achieve brighter and different tones than you can get from any one plant dye.

That said, I bet the average new cloth was still more "earthy" than our modern ones, but bright colors like pink and green wouldn't have been rare.