Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GateOfD posted:

the worst is the fanfiction
that's also an isekai

like the ones where they isekai into Marvel or Naruto or One Piece, and its just about the worst bits of everything together with the most wrong characterizations ever. (like spider-man killing an entire gang ruthlessly)

drat, that spider-man sounds badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh no, the very worst are the 'infinite flow' stories, which include all of the features of crossover fan-fic, isekai, and death games. they are inherently unreadable.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Shouldn't we factor in the fact(IIRC?) that the aeneid was commissioned by the Emperor as a means of reinforcing imperial authority? If I remember it's origins right.

Augustus was an avid donater to Virgil’s Patreonicus

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like self insert fan fiction has been around forever (like original Trek) and while I don't read it I can get why people would write it and post it. Hardly the worst thing people can do in Fandom

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
oh good, its danmachi day

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh no, the very worst are the 'infinite flow' stories, which include all of the features of crossover fan-fic, isekai, and death games. they are inherently unreadable.

What are these stories? What makes them an infinite flow?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
is it those ones where they isekai into a death game or horror scenario.
and when they pass the trial, they just get sent off into another death game type situation and repeat till the story runs out

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GateOfD posted:

is it those ones where they isekai into a death game or horror scenario.
and when they pass the trial, they just get sent off into another death game type situation and repeat till the story runs out

Like an isekai version of Gambling Emperor Zero or Kaiji? Idk, seems like a neat concept.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
like other story types and webnovels, its as you expect, there's a lot of trash, and if you search enough there's a few gems that rise to the surface.
just the nature of a platform with a low barrier to entry. Comes with its pros and cons.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GateOfD posted:

oh good, its danmachi day

Is danmachi actually good? I never gave it a look, but it's sticking around for some time now, so I suppose there must be something there?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

genericnick posted:

Is danmachi actually good? I never gave it a look, but it's sticking around for some time now, so I suppose there must be something there?

I always got the impression it had its merits, but was mostly coasting along on the back of a well-executed first season that they didn't retain the necessary staff for.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

genericnick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XRsrB7he4
the experience of tuning in for danmachi

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah the first season is a really well executed shonen fantasy show. the rest still has its moments but i think it feels more at the whims of the source material now than actively working to punch it up

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 9, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
S2 was pretty awful and even with the material being better after that, they just don't have the same production muscle as S1. Maybe if I hadn't also watched the unremarkable movie next to S3 I would've had the energy to keep going. :shrug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

haypliss posted:

S2 was pretty awful and even with the material being better after that, they just don't have the same production muscle as S1. Maybe if I hadn't also watched the unremarkable movie next to S3 I would've had the energy to keep going. :shrug:

I dropped it after S2 too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are these stories? What makes them an infinite flow?

each death game is some movie or video game, and they go to many of these in sequence. strangely, the two i started reading without realizing what they were both started with van helsing for some ungodly reason. one of those spent like 30 chapters as a middling demon litrpg evolution story before suddenly revamping and going to van helsing land.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
lol great Danmachi this week
Ryuu definitely flying to the top of the popularity charts after this season. After all the battle and tension, now its time for all the cute Ryuu blushing deredere moments.

Especially since previously for the last 3 seasons, she barely really talked with Bell much.
Was thinking of what Freya would think seeing them hundled together like that. But remembered that the gods can't spy into the dungeon like that. The one time she did in s1 was her cheating and being sneaky.

Then back to that drat crazy thing again. Bell is really taking a beating goddamn and achieving a lot of feats. Like even though he JUST got to lv4, I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped to lv5 right away after this.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

genericnick posted:

Season 1 was solid, Season 2 was a bad adaptation + some of the bad arcs imo, Season 3 was fine and Season 4 is actively pretty good imo, but every season since Season 1 has definitely had/appears to have had lower production value.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

holy poo poo, the hand sizes are what draw your eye, but the arms being behind her shoulders are legitimately loving me up

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isn't that clamp? if so, it's not an animation error.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's XXXholic

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Arist posted:

holy poo poo, the hand sizes are what draw your eye, but the arms being behind her shoulders are legitimately loving me up

Yeah it's like they got the shoulders and elbows confused somehow. It's incredible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You mean that isn't some shorter person standing behind her and throwing their arms up?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

You mean that isn't some shorter person standing behind her and throwing their arms up?

That's exactly what it is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Movie magic

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
OK that's a drat good gag but

Same energy

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Trails anime reputation so low this was accepted as an animation error immediately. 💀

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

thats not trails its some LN show

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tales of Woe posted:

thats not trails its some LN show

It's Ningen Fushin: Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World and its quality is pretty low, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had have been an animation error

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
drat, I was victim to my own post, and a meeting room of people in armor.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Trails doesn't have animal people.

Mostly.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's Ningen Fushin: Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World and its quality is pretty low, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had have been an animation error

oh right, i remember watching the first episode.
the premise is fine, but the animation was a point where 'well it looks like i better just read the manga instead'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GateOfD posted:

oh right, i remember watching the first episode.
the premise is fine, but the animation was a point where 'well it looks like i better just read the manga instead'

The manga's art is good, but unfortunately it looks like they only had a licensing or publisher agreement or however those things work out to do the first couple arcs, so it's essentially LN only past a point, and as far as I know there is no localized release for the LNs.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

chumbler posted:

The manga's art is good, but unfortunately it looks like they only had a licensing or publisher agreement or however those things work out to do the first couple arcs, so it's essentially LN only past a point, and as far as I know there is no localized release for the LNs.

https://yenpress.com/9781975351861/apparently-disillusioned-adventurers-will-save-the-world-vol-2-light-novel/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Constantly surprised by Cold Steels ability make every episode look worse than the last, also I've realised that it's really not paced for 12/13 episodes in which case lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
that reminds me, Trails from Azure is being released on the Switch in a few days.
having a hard time finding an excuse to turn on my ps5 >_<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

you need no excuse when you have no games to play on it