Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We usually won shootouts because our primary strategy was to win while being outshot by 20 every game. Our goalie was good.

He was also in his 60s so nobody complained about him being too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’ve been scouring message boards looking for the best tailbone protection in pants and it turns out there really isn’t any. So I’ll just go for ones with good thigh, hip and spine protection. Likely CCM HP45XP or warrior covert or Bauer nexus.

But for coccyx protection, I did find this one thing which looks neat: Azzpadz. Has D3O too: https://demon-united.com/collections/azzpadz/products/azzpadz-d30-tailbone-protector?variant=35850324607143

Anyone tried this? Fell on my tailbone once and it was thankfully nothing serious but even with the amount of control and learning to fall I can do on my own, can’t really control when others run into you

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chill la Chill posted:

I’ve been scouring message boards looking for the best tailbone protection in pants and it turns out there really isn’t any. So I’ll just go for ones with good thigh, hip and spine protection. Likely CCM HP45XP or warrior covert or Bauer nexus.

But for coccyx protection, I did find this one thing which looks neat: Azzpadz. Has D3O too: https://demon-united.com/collections/azzpadz/products/azzpadz-d30-tailbone-protector?variant=35850324607143

Anyone tried this? Fell on my tailbone once and it was thankfully nothing serious but even with the amount of control and learning to fall I can do on my own, can’t really control when others run into you

I bruised my tailbone once and it didn't stop hurting for 6 months. I bought a tailbone guard made for snowboarders (it was also an azzpadz) and wore it under my hockey pants for a while until I realized falling directly on my tailbone happened so rarely that I just stopped wearing it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I bruised my tailbone once and it didn't stop hurting for 6 months. I bought a tailbone guard made for snowboarders (it was also an azzpadz) and wore it under my hockey pants for a while until I realized falling directly on my tailbone happened so rarely that I just stopped wearing it.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure is the comfort vs likelihood. I might just go for something like this https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Shock_Doctor_Shockskin_5-Pad_Impact/descpage-SD563.html or another padded jock to at least have something extra there on top of the pant's foam. Apparently one of the CCM models has a thick slab of D3O too but they had it taper down to being ineffective around the tailbone area which is a waste.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The only time I see people fall on their tail bone playing is when they’re learning how to skate or playing checking hockey. The second is even very rare and you might want to practice Supermans to train your muscles how you want to fall. Still might happen, but that’s why they don’t come built in.

Ref pants have a soft pad about 3” wide that goes down the tailbone area and it’s wide enough to cover it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falling hard on your rear end can happen but it's pretty uncommon. Mostly you end up on your belly or side (because you toe picked or lost an edge).

Only time I've done it is on a transition during drills, the ice was getting insanely rutted around a cone and I hit it wrong and both feet washed out in front of me just as I was turning my hips. I'm sure there's plenty of other ways to bust your tailbone but most skaters don't seem too worried about it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My wife fell one time perfectly and shattered her sacrum. She was out for like 6 months.

Edit: She's been playing her whole life so idk it happens

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Rather than buying a separate tailbone guard, it's probably just better to spend a little more on nicer pants.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rather than buying a separate tailbone guard, it's probably just better to spend a little more on nicer pants.

Or you could go the Ovi route and have someone sew an extra spine protector into your pants.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

I have the CCMs, best pants I've ever had and fallen a few times on my rear end and only one time did I feel it. But that was because of the angle of the fall and not because of the padding.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I fell on my tailbone once in a game from a head to head collision. I don't recall exactly how it happened but neither of us saw one another and we collided and both fell backwards. My legs were in the air when I fell directly on my tailbone. My tailbone itself felt fine, it was the flexing and impact to my lower back that did the damage. I think I was 34 at the time and your discs become less flexible with age. All that weight coming down on my lower back was just too much.

This was the 2nd of 4 times I herniated my lower lumbar disc (L5-S1). This one didn't hurt much at the moment. The other time was a sudden shocking injury that was immediate. I got up and kept playing, I think I played the rest of the week without skipping a beat. My back was a little sore but I was playing 3x per week and just didn't think much of it. I ended up with sciatica down my right butt and leg for years after that. I just never went away. Not until I hurt my back again and went to a physical therapist. One of the most excruciating movements was getting in and out of a car, where you're straightening one leg and tucking your head forward. Funny because it simulates an exercise I did in physical therapy.

Long story short, I wish pants had better padding near the butt/tailbone. It likely wouldn't have stopped my issues but it can't hurt. I wouldn't wear another piece of gear, but I think they can improve some combo of the jock shorts and hockey pants to help with that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the perspectives. Yeah injuries take longer to heal the older we are it seems, so don't really want that

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's what I've been trying to do. Thighs, hips, etc. seem to be better with pro stock, but tailbone protection doesn't seem to increase at all. The pants I've tried so far have varying levels of comfort/protection there. I think I really liked the AS-Vs but I did hear that pro stock is cheaper/same price for better quality which led me down that route.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I hate to mention girdles again, but most girdles have padding where you are looking for.
I've never worn the Bauer ones, from the pictures though they seem to have the one that come down the most.

And I've had D3O on some of my other gear, and it's a wonder material. I really really like it for my knee pads.

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 9, 2023

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So how do pro stock clearance sales work? If you live near a team do they tend to have times when they have excess inventory at the end of a season and you can nab stuff for v cheap? I'll be buying gear because I need them, but would be nice to have maybe a couple backups if I can get them cheap.

Just wondering how resellers happen to get so many of them. I assume most of it is just through connections and knowing people who'll sell you the stuff for $5 each or so

LowOnCyan posted:

I hate to mention girdles again, but most girdles have padding where you are looking for.
I've never worn the Bauer ones, from the pictures though they seem to have the one that come down the most.

And I've had D3O on some of my other gear, and it's a wonder material. I really really like it for my knee pads.

Thanks, sadly I can't really find any place to try them on unless I blindly order a bunch and return them if I don't like it. Might have to figure out soon cuz I want to attend the learn to play in a few weeks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

So how do pro stock clearance sales work? If you live near a team do they tend to have times when they have excess inventory at the end of a season and you can nab stuff for v cheap? I'll be buying gear because I need them, but would be nice to have maybe a couple backups if I can get them cheap.

Just wondering how resellers happen to get so many of them. I assume most of it is just through connections and knowing people who'll sell you the stuff for $5 each or so

Thanks, sadly I can't really find any place to try them on unless I blindly order a bunch and return them if I don't like it. Might have to figure out soon cuz I want to attend the learn to play in a few weeks.

The Kraken have a year end gear sale for used and surplus equipment. Last year the line for it wrapped out the front of the community iceplex. I think most teams probably have some sort of day like this where you can show up and hope to buy something. It seemed to be a mix of people looking for souvenirs and people wanting to use it for playing hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From the ones I've been to, anything game worn or with a star's name on it gets snatched up instantly. Random castoffs like socks or unused sticks are your best bet. Any protective gear is probably going to get snatched up instantly by people that got there first (and may have had exclusive access, some teams give early access to season ticket holders).

So you can get some cool stuff but you can't go in expecting the bargain of a lifetime, there's a lot of variables against you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'd kill for some pro stock equipment bags. My AHL Portland pirates bag is getting pretty old but it's still kicking and it's easily over 10 years old.

I would also like gloves and a helmet. Maybe pants. Sticks obviously but those go quick.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I go to hockeystickman.com to get refurbished pro stock sticks. Both of the sticks I'm currently using have Canadian college players' names on them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My first couple hockey bags from the big brands would give out after about 16 months so I got sick of that and hunted around for a shop that did orders for college teams. I ended up with a place called Tonys Canvas but I think it's shut down now (because Tony passed away). But I've had that bag for almost 8 years and it still looks brand new.

So I guess my advice is hunt around for a small mom 'n pop shop that brags about the quality of their canvas and order a one-off from them. It's not gonna have any bells and whistles but it'll be bulletproof.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Chill la Chill posted:

They have them in the offseason but for NHL teams at least they’re probably a big draw for fans and souvenir seekers and unless you can be sure to get in with the first wave you probably won’t get usable gear.

Minor league and junior teams might be more manageable.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Verman posted:

I'd kill for some pro stock equipment bags. My AHL Portland pirates bag is getting pretty old but it's still kicking and it's easily over 10 years old.

I would also like gloves and a helmet. Maybe pants. Sticks obviously but those go quick.

So JRZ makes most of the Pro Stock bags, you could find some for cheap on SidelineSwap. I've seen some brand new overstocks there from time to time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I suppose if my schedule's free I'll see if I can drop by if the near-ish team does some sort of sale, then. Thanks for at least setting my expectations right.

So is getting a wooden stick to learn still the suggested way to go via the op or is it get a composite stick with the default "neutral" settings? Met an ex-college player and they said to just start with a ~$100-150 stick. If so, what should I be looking at stat-wise? Don't know anything about these curves.

LowOnCyan posted:

So JRZ makes most of the Pro Stock bags, you could find some for cheap on SidelineSwap. I've seen some brand new overstocks there from time to time.

Thanks for this, just saw some cheap JRZs. Seems like a good pair to go with a pond hockey backpack.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Happy one year anniversary to the last league game I ever played!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlSgmd6HQ4E

Grade 2 separation in my right shoulder, broken left middle finger, and my helmet definitely saved me from a concussion.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sandbaggers are the worst. Div 9 of 10 (10 is for teams who just completed the "learn to play hockey" course the league hosts each season):

1st period: "Nice play, bud!" sincerely (I think) after I poke the puck away while he tries to dangle our whole team
2nd period: Puts his shoulder through my chest after another poke check, acts surprised he gets called for body checking in a league named the Non-Contact Hockey League. Our goalie gets him back by tripping the absolute poo poo out of him his next shift when he dangles 4 people and drives through the crease. The ref is too busy air-keytar'ing to the arena music to respond to him.
3rd period: Slashes my D partner in the hand hard enough to bleed under the fingernail, hooks and holds him with no call, then slams his stick on the ice when said D partner clears the puck out of danger.

Held the fucker to 0 points and won 4-3, go right to hell you trashman. Stay at 37 points in 19 games you dingus.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Got my CCM HP45X pants and they're great. I forget they're on after a few min on the ice and I like the butt padding. Don't think I'll be getting anything further padding wise. Stickwise, it seems like CCM's P92/ Bauer P92 or the P88 patterns are good starters? I'll likely just go with whatever is available in wood and get a composite later.

Pleads posted:

Sandbaggers are the worst. Div 9 of 10 (10 is for teams who just completed the "learn to play hockey" course the league hosts each season):

Always worried about this. I figure it's not a problem with the league right after learn to play, and I think my closest rink allows you to do 1-2 of that learn to play league until someone else invites you to join a higher league. I assume it's a culture/rink problem and that unless everyone is on the same page the only real options are quit or join another league/rink?

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 15, 2023

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

it’s at almost every rink, just the nature of certain folks who never won anything before needing it in their adult lives

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Sorry pleads that sucks. Sandbaggers suck

Edit: We won 7-3 last night! Having a good goalie rules. Also I scored woo! First goal of the season, 5th ever. All 7 of our goals were side to side passes into one timers. Nothing the goalie could really do. But that goalie saved so many 1-0 breakaways, or intense scrambles in the crease where we had 3 guys trying to poke a loose puck into an empty net.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 15, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Stickwise, it seems like CCM's P92/ Bauer P92 or the P88 patterns are good starters? I'll likely just go with whatever is available in wood and get a composite later.

Personally I think people will struggle with a P88 when they use it for the first time. Its very flat and makes elevating a shot and controlling a pick more difficult.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

Personally I think people will struggle with a P88 when they use it for the first time. Its very flat and makes elevating a shot and controlling a pick more difficult.

This is true. I have more issues elevating the puck into the corners of the net with my P88 stick. However, it's my favorite because I find it's perfect for my passing style and I don't catch more air than I want when I'm trying to lift it across. It took a little adjusting for carrying the puck, but wasn't too difficult after using it a while. It's a dream for my backhand. I'm sure I'll eventually buy a stick with a more curved profile as well, but I'm really liking this more than the P28 I started with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

But get a curve that's too open and elevating backhands becomes stupid hard.

I feel like open curves are a bad move for a first stick. If they made them anymore I would suggest a completely flat blade.. for one it lets you experiment with handedness, and once you get the basics of moving the puck around you can start messing with curves to figure out what suits you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I think P92 is great for beginners. The extra curve helps with wrist shots and puck control, most of what beginners will need. Let be real. If you're learning how to play hockey, roofing a backhand isn't the top priority. As you learn, you'll try new sticks and see what you like. My tastes change over time and I try new patterns whenever I buy a new one.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Verman posted:

I think P92 is great for beginners. The extra curve helps with wrist shots and puck control, most of what beginners will need. Let be real. If you're learning how to play hockey, roofing a backhand isn't the top priority. As you learn, you'll try new sticks and see what you like. My tastes change over time and I try new patterns whenever I buy a new one.

Interesting. I’m a a beginner with a p88 curve, maybe I should go try out some others.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

Got my CCM HP45X pants and they're great. I forget they're on after a few min on the ice and I like the butt padding. Don't think I'll be getting anything further padding wise. Stickwise, it seems like CCM's P92/ Bauer P92 or the P88 patterns are good starters? I'll likely just go with whatever is available in wood and get a composite later.

Yeah those pants are the best.

I want to say P92 is the most popular curve. As others have said probably going to be your best bet to learn with.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I was farting around with my old W01 Fedorov curve, and it's pretty horrible! Mid heel curve, short blade length, slightly opened face. Not really great for anything except lifting it on the backhand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Embrace it, there's no better goal than a backhand because no one in beer league expects it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Embrace it, there's no better goal than a backhand because no one in beer league expects it.

Including the person who probably shot it.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Pros being able to launch backhands makes no sense to me. I put more effort than I’ve ever done for anything behind a backhander and it plops off my stick like I’m throwing tissues into the wind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

V for Vegans posted:

Pros being able to launch backhands makes no sense to me. I put more effort than I’ve ever done for anything behind a backhander and it plops off my stick like I’m throwing tissues into the wind.

What curve you using, because it matters. If you've got a open face you have to exaggerate turning your hands to get the edge of the blade to dig under the puck. A flatter blade is easier, but as mentioned earlier you won't lift the puck as easily on normal shots. So there's a sweet spot you gotta find.

Part of my standard warmup is to bang a few backhands off the boards, it feels good and kinda loosens up the shoulders.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

V for Vegans posted:

Itrain hockey has a YouTube channel with great slap shot and wrister shooting intensive videos, probably has a backhand video too. He blew up so his newer stuff is mostly teasers to get you to go to a camp or pay for a membership but a ton of 5+ year old videos are great for skills development. Check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for all the great help so far!

Also I can’t believe it’s hockey that’s made me start doing yoga and physical therapy kind of stretches to open my hips more. Not martial arts or other sports in the past. :v: But I like the sensation of skating sideways and wanna be able to do it for as long as the figure skaters do it as well as the reverse eagle I think it’s called where you turn on outside edges. But I figure it’ll help with transitions since I slow down on two foot transitions. Been rocking back and forth between skates when I do it to build up confidence I guess.

Also still developing backwards crossovers but my problem is that I think I’m leaning too far forwards to compensate/fear of falling backwards so i keep scraping with my toes during the push under. It’s a nice sound but seems like it works against the push and slows me down.

The real problem is planning on when to skate during the off-season since the indoor rinks have limited times and the outdoor ones are closing up soon.