Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Also the dumbest thing Benning did was insist on bridging Elias Pettersson when he was willing to sign long term at $9m per just so he could keep Tanner Pearson on the roster. Pettersson is almost certain to crest 100pts this year and the team will have to now negotiate a long term deal of his statistical prime with a guy who's been hugely noncommittal about his future. He's not taking a penny discount. I think it's possible he'll be the highest paid player in the league if they manage to resign him at all. Great job dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Also the dumbest thing Benning did was insist on bridging Elias Pettersson when he was willing to sign long term at $9m per just so he could keep Tanner Pearson on the roster. Pettersson is almost certain to crest 100pts this year and the team will have to now negotiate a long term deal of his statistical prime with a guy who's been hugely noncommittal about his future. He's not taking a penny discount. I think it's possible he'll be the highest paid player in the league if they manage to resign him at all. Great job dipshit.

This is crazy talk, Jim has made like 7 more hosed up moves than this. OEL trade was last year!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens/Isles tonight so prepare your ignore buttons. PAS going full Reactor 4 tonight/tomorrow.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

This is crazy talk, Jim has made like 7 more hosed up moves than this. OEL trade was last year!

That's ultimately window dressing compared to pissing off their star player who was open to signing long term for a reasonable cap hit because he actually thought things were on the upswing after the bubble.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sounds like Jimbo did him a big favor.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens/Isles tonight so prepare your ignore buttons. PAS going full Reactor 4 tonight/tomorrow.

Gonna try my hardest to not get tilted when the Pens outshoot the Isles 47 to 22 and lose 5-4

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

:woop: let's loving gooooooo

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Gonna try my hardest to not get tilted when the Pens outshoot the Isles 47 to 22 and lose 5-4

You do that. Imma continue to lose my freaking mind over innocuous bullshit and then Eric can complete the set with his Eeyore/Marvin I told you so routine and we can begin a new on Saturday.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

They have won three in a row and 4 of 5 and are 5-2-1 in their last eight. Without fail they go all world over the last twenty games once their playoff chances are spent. Just once I'd like to see this garbage team strip it back to the bolts and pack in a season. They have like eight AHL guys on the roster right now, so rather than playing them they're rolling out Hughes/Pettersson and Miller for 25+ mins a night each. Hughes is regularly hitting 30 minutes. Someone needs to tell Tocchet he isn't coaching for his life and to play literally anyone else because this is once again screwing the team's draft position and running his stars into the ground isn't a viable strategy long term.

A lot of teams in the bottom have runs at the end of the season because they have nothing to lose and no pressure on them. That’s why Columbus keeps beating good teams, because they don’t have to care any more. Teams fighting for a playoff spot have to deal with the pressure to win and it can cause them to be unable to perform. Looking at you rn, Sabres!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also ruining a playoff team's playoff chances is a victory in its own way.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

xzzy posted:

Also ruining a playoff team's playoff chances is a victory in its own way.

Tbh it feels good to be in a position where the Sabres are close enough to a playoff spot in March that they can even be in that scenario lol

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i’m gonna MKULTRA ben Harpur to do this to one of the Devils’ twinks

It's cool. It's a totally normal hockey play :jerkbag:

quote:

“He stopped and I tried to finish my check on him,” Stanley said. “Then I just fell on top of him.”

Stanley said he lost his balance.

“I wasn’t expecting him to go down,” Stanley said. “It’s just an unfortunate play.”

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

The Boston Bruins can clinch a playoff spot tonight with a win and any two regulation losses from Ottawa, Buffalo, and the Islanders. A Buffalo overtime loss will also work if the Bruins win in regulation.

It is March 9th, and the Bruins have twenty games remaining.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Connor Murphy speaking up in a good way:

https://twitter.com/marklazerus/status/1633683069415886848

(the replies are generally vile and is probably why the NHL hasn't stepped in, they know a huge portion of their fanbase are bigots)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

The replies are the remaining people on Twitter who feel entitled to voice their very wrong opinion very loudly thus creating the appearance of vocal majority when in actuality it's an exceedingly loud and shrill minority that is so infinitesimally small they should be out right ignored.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

You do that. Imma continue to lose my freaking mind over innocuous bullshit and then Eric can complete the set with his Eeyore/Marvin I told you so routine and we can begin a new on Saturday.

:mad: Totally resent that, I'm the only guy in PAS that doesn't melt down with every loss because the team obviously is what it is, and on balance they do win half their games. Hell, they might even win tonight! Though it feels like they've been streakier than usual this year. Actually it seems like every team is really streaky this year for some reason, don't know if that's true or just a weird subjective impression of my own.

The team would be a much more stable team with a firm grip on the first wild card and a first round date with Carolina if they'd just quit playing Dumoulin's Remains (RIP) or at least relegate him to a 12 minutes a night bottom pairing role.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'd be pretty surprised at this point if one of the Islanders/Penguins fell out of the playoffs. They need 21 points in 19 games?

The Jets on the other hand lol. Should have learned to lose in overtime instead of regulation.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Dumoulin's Remains sounds like a dope name for a Jersey Hardcore band ngl.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Pens do have a pretty rough schedule the rest of the way: Islanders, Rangers x3, Avs, Stars, Caps, Wings x2, Bruins, Devils, and Wild are all yet to come. That's 13 of the 20 remaining games.

Conversely the only bad teams left for them are Flyers x2, Canadiens, and their last two games of the season are Blackhawks and Jackets.

They've played their games in hand now mostly, and hold a 5 point lead over the Sens and Sabres (and also Caps but the Caps have played 2 more games than the others, also the Red Wings are 6 back but they probably won't be a playoff factor). They should be able to hold onto the 8 seed but the schedule is going to make it dicey.

Which by the way is exactly where "Eeyore/Marvin" predicted before the season is where they would be, TYVM.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 9, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Pens do have a pretty rough schedule the rest of the way: Islanders, Rangers x3, Avs, Stars, Caps, Wings x2, Bruins, Devils, and Wild are all yet to come. That's 13 of the 20 remaining games.

Conversely the only bad teams left for them are Flyers x2, Canadiens, and their last two games of the season are Blackhawks and Jackets.

They've played their games in hand now mostly, and hold a 5 point lead over the Sens and Sabres (and also Caps but the Caps have played 2 more games than the others, also the Red Wings are 6 back but they probably won't be a playoff factor). They should be able to hold onto the 8 seed but the schedule is going to make it dicey.

Which by the way is exactly where "Eeyore/Marvin" predicted before the season is where they would be, TYVM.

Of the teams contending for the last playoff spots in the east, in terms of strength of schedule, it looks like this (hardest to easiest):

Ottawa (3rd hardest in NHL)
Buffalo (5th hardest in NHL)
Pittsburgh (17th hardest in NHL)
Florida (19th hardest in NHL)
Ny Islanders (22nd hardest in NHL)

Source: https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/remaining_schedule_strength

Games in hand also matter of course. The Pens, Sens, and Sabres have all only played 63 games. The Panthers have played 65 games and Isles 66 games.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I didn't look at Ottawa or Buffalo's remaining schedules but if they're even worse than the Pens' than yeah the Pens should be in no problem. Tonight is pretty crucial to their chances of getting to play Carolina and maybe dream of winning, rather than playing Boston and getting steamrolled.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its so hard to make up 5 points in the NHL especially over 19 or fewer games.

If the Pens take 21 points in 19 games that's like 10 wins and gets them to 94 points

Ottawa/Buffalo both need 26 points in 19 games so 12-7-2 or something like that, which is possible but their schedules are real bad.
Florida needs 24 in 17 games, so 11-5-2
Detroit needs 27 in 18 games, so 13-4-1 lol
Caps 26 in 17 so 13-4?

That's to tie at 94 and I'm not looking through tiebreakers, and also not accounting for the Islanders that need 20 points in 16 games so 9-5-2.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Pens have only made up 1 of their 4 games they've lagged behind the Isles for what feels like a month. Tonight is fairly pivotal in deciding if it's WC1 or WC2 for Pittsburgh. Florida somehow is the closest in the standings and they are still 3 points back with 2 more played. Buffalo and Ottawa are both same games played but 5 point gap andddddd if we're being honest here neither has shown anything approaching getting their poo poo together and challenging.

Agreed on the Carolina and Boston point although New Jersey might find a way above Carolina in which case I think the Pens get steamrolled as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Florida is kinda flying under the radar a little bit because everyone loves the thought of the quirky Sens or Sabres making it but Florida has had good 5v5 numbers all year despite their struggles and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in still.

Florida would be an interesting first round matchup because I feel like they could put a scare into the Bruins or Canes as well. I can't see Buffalo or Ottawa doing anything but getting curbstomped by those teams. The Pens and Isles will probably get destroyed as well, much as I might hope otherwise. Florida could be interesting though.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Kings will be leading the Western Conference by the end of the night.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Paul Maurice has been coaching in the NHL for 25 years, and the next playoff series he wins without a searing hot goaltender will be the first. As for the likelihood of the Panthers turning up with a searing hot goaltender, uh

edit: Now that I think about it, I don't actually know. Maybe a save% of 95-96 is normal for goalies that win a playoff series, or at least was, back in the Bronze Age where Maurice had half his career?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Losing to the Islanders on Tuesday all but ensured that the Sabres are going to miss, they would have to go on an insane tear for the rest of the season including beating the Islanders on the 25th. But they also still have to play the Rangers three times, the Devils twice and Boston & Carolina once, among others. The losses to the Islanders this week and Columbus last week were brutal. They’re so close to being a playoff team but are lacking the goaltending and depth on defense to make it over the hump… probably. They could still technically make it!!!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Dumoulin will finally get scratched and Jeff Carter will play in his spot

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Fine by me. Let's do it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/matthewfairburn/status/1633855780456628225?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Jason Jord Greenway, top-line winger

Also sitting Hinostroza instead of Olofsson, who is garbage at back-checking and hasn’t scored a goal in like a month, is a choice

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 10, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

If it helps, Marvin was voiced by Alan Rickman, so this now justifies having all your posts read in his voice.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/matthewfairburn/status/1633855780456628225?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Jason Greenway, top-line winger

Also sitting Hinostroza instead of Olofsson, who is garbage at back-checking and hasn’t scored a goal in like a month, is a choice

Jordan Greenway.

But I suppose you need to play someone there.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Jhet posted:

Jordan Greenway.

But I suppose you need to play someone there.

You'd think playing their captain there could be viable, but no.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

back in the Bronze Age where Maurice had half his career?

:lol:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

I didn't look at Ottawa or Buffalo's remaining schedules but if they're even worse than the Pens' than yeah the Pens should be in no problem. Tonight is pretty crucial to their chances of getting to play Carolina and maybe dream of winning, rather than playing Boston and getting steamrolled.
Ottawa has like the 3rd toughest SOS from this week out, the highest by far out of the 5 or so WC contenders. Losing to Chicago the other night didn't help to say the least

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The replies are the remaining people on Twitter who feel entitled to voice their very wrong opinion very loudly thus creating the appearance of vocal majority when in actuality it's an exceedingly loud and shrill minority that is so infinitesimally small they should be out right ignored.

:yeah:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I appreciate the optimism but I'm not sure how small that subset actually is for hockey fans.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1633691989978894336

Holy poo poo.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I know it's not the headline but that dude hung around for 18 years? :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I feel like most NHL caliber players could play til they're 50 in Europe if they really wanted to. He was done in the NHL at 31