Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

moana posted:

If you're going to pay for a second degree, you might want to know what the hell you are trying to get out of it, before paying for a second degree.

Even more true of a first degree, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

moana posted:

If you're going to pay for a second degree, you might want to know what the hell you are trying to get out of it, before paying for a second degree. How do you get through AN ENTIRE SECOND DEGREE without, oh, I don't know, talking to professors or career counselors about what the gently caress you are going to do after you graduate? How do you not have a clear focus on what kind of job you want after specifically going back to school for a degree that can get you a job? This just boggles my mind.

Lol yeah, I also missed that it was a second degree. Woof

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Even more true of a first degree, really

Ideally, but I think it's really tough for a 22 year old who potentially never had a job and spent their 4 adult years in the strange, unique world of a college town to have a good frame of reference, and they probably had to make the decision to follow their degree when they were a literal child. I'd have more patience in that situation, but there's also more room for error.

Someone further along in their life path, while there's always time, probably needs to be more focused.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It was more of a commentary on the dumbness of our entire societal system of making people make a gigantic decision that will massively determine the direction of their entire life when they're still teenagers and have no idea who they are or what they want, and because of its preposterous, exorbitant cost, is for most people irreversible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, not everyone has a passion or a calling. I've known plenty of people who haven't. For them, the goal changes from "follow your star, if possible" to "get a job that pays a living wage".

In a more just society, that might be any job at all. But that's not the one we live in.

And as a computer toucher myself, I wouldn't fault anyone who decided they wanted to [re]train as a 'common lowlands code monkey'* because they heard it pays all right. There's room for lots of people in this trade**, and people needing computers trained isn't going away.

*To quote that one music video.
**I honestly think programming counts as a trade, like plumbing or welding, that picked up an exalted reputation somewhere along the way. Don't knock it till you've thought about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

nomad2020 posted:

if you know which end of the wrench is dangerous
I gotta know, is it both ends?

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was more of a commentary on the dumbness of our entire societal system of making people make a gigantic decision that will massively determine the direction of their entire life when they're still teenagers and have no idea who they are or what they want, and because of its preposterous, exorbitant cost, is for most people irreversible.
I was fifteen when I had to make decisions about what I was doing in college. What idiot let 15 year old me make choices like that?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My mom wanted me to be a teacher because she didn't think working with computers and code would be a feasible living.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I gotta know, is it both ends?

I’m gonna go with the open end, if you’re going to strip the bolt it’s going to be with that end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm taking that as a challenge. BRB.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I had a second interview with a company called Points today. The first interview was one of those fluff jobs with the recruiter to make sure you're not a sociopath or whatever. That went well enough that she told me at the end that she was going to get me a second interview.

Fortunately this one didn't have any coding tests or anything, blech. It was mainly for the Main Data Guy to get an idea of what I've done in my 5-year data journey.

This guy seemed very reserved, but I didn't let that dissuade me. At the beginning, I crowbarred in a statement about how I looked up the company on Glassdoor and how there was an overwhelming amount of glowing reviews for the company and how I was eager to be part of that. He mentioned that he was impressed that I had done my homework on the company.

He asked about finding the right data solution for a client and, on top of the technical stuff, I told him that one of Points' five core values was 'foster collaboration' and how important it was to involve the team in those kinds of decisions. I also hammered home the importance of soft skills - like communication and diplomacy - which are often lost on programming nerds like us (not my exact words).

I made sure to mention how much I like learning new things and how I got an AWS cert out of self-study - I then mentioned that this was the same AWS certification that he had, and he seemed impressed by this (despite the fact that this is almost 'creepy stalker' levels of research).

Finally, I even got the guy to smile and make jokes about tech debt in their department. Hopefully it's not a crippling level of tech debt, but it would nevertheless beat the 'zero' level of data engineering work I'm doing now!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I had a second interview with a company called Points today. The first interview was one of those fluff jobs with the recruiter to make sure you're not a sociopath or whatever. That went well enough that she told me at the end that she was going to get me a second interview.

Fortunately this one didn't have any coding tests or anything, blech. It was mainly for the Main Data Guy to get an idea of what I've done in my 5-year data journey.

This guy seemed very reserved, but I didn't let that dissuade me. At the beginning, I crowbarred in a statement about how I looked up the company on Glassdoor and how there was an overwhelming amount of glowing reviews for the company and how I was eager to be part of that. He mentioned that he was impressed that I had done my homework on the company.

He asked about finding the right data solution for a client and, on top of the technical stuff, I told him that one of Points' five core values was 'foster collaboration' and how important it was to involve the team in those kinds of decisions. I also hammered home the importance of soft skills - like communication and diplomacy - which are often lost on programming nerds like us (not my exact words).

I made sure to mention how much I like learning new things and how I got an AWS cert out of self-study - I then mentioned that this was the same AWS certification that he had, and he seemed impressed by this (despite the fact that this is almost 'creepy stalker' levels of research).

Finally, I even got the guy to smile and make jokes about tech debt in their department. Hopefully it's not a crippling level of tech debt, but it would nevertheless beat the 'zero' level of data engineering work I'm doing now!

Buy yourself a beer, man. Good job!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Red posted:

Buy yourself a beer, man. Good job!

Thanks! :guinness:

I think the key to these kinds of interviews is to go above and beyond the technical stuff and show that you have a real passion for fixing stuff and learning. There's a lot of competition, so it's imperative to stand out somehow.

Actually, that reminds me of an interview I had last week. The invite email went out of its way to say that there is no specific dress code, wear what you want. So I wore a t-shirt that said "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" and one of the interviewers turned out to be a huge IT Crowd fan, which worked out nicely.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

Thanks! :guinness:

I think the key to these kinds of interviews is to go above and beyond the technical stuff and show that you have a real passion for fixing stuff and learning. There's a lot of competition, so it's imperative to stand out somehow.

Actually, that reminds me of an interview I had last week. The invite email went out of its way to say that there is no specific dress code, wear what you want. So I wore a t-shirt that said "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" and one of the interviewers turned out to be a huge IT Crowd fan, which worked out nicely.

Fascinating; would you mind posting the screenshot of that invite text (minus any identifying info)?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks! That was well worded, and your response was perfect. :D

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Devonaut posted:

So hey my telltale HR friend (or as I call it, Schroedinger's job offer), did you ever get closure on that?

I did finally get an offer after 23 days, so there's always hope.

Verbal offer came last friday, written one due Now(TM).

Company: Hey Beefeater1980, can you fill in our background check app to speed things up?

Me: [fills it in until it asks for my current manager’s contact details]. Nice try guys, you’re getting that when I have my written offer and have resigned.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Why do they need that at all, ever?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
two weeks ago I did a skills test and was told that last week, I’d hear back.

last week on 28th that I’d hear back this week, as they have more interviews and tests go to though.

Still nothing. I don’t think I got the job

🎉

E: finally confirmed, I knew kvetching would summon it. I just wish I was told earlier.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 9, 2023

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Unsinkabear posted:

Why do they need that at all, ever?

It’s so weird. The way you confirm someone actually does what they claim at their current shop is to email HR and get back a bland confirmation “Yes, Beefeater was employed here between X and Y and held the position Z”.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I had a second interview today with the company that handles the Highway 407 ETR here in Ontario, Canada. If you know anything about Ontario, you've probably heard that taking Highway 401 through Mississauga/Toronto can be a gridlock nightmare, so I was able to truthfully tell them how much I like their product.

The first half was with an Agile scrum master, so I was able to regale them with tales of my adventures in data engineering. That went well.

The second half was with a developer and was what I call a "trivia night" interview. This is where some turbonerd asks you about minutiae that you usually don't think about in your day-to-day. "What is the default timeout period when making API calls to Salesforce?", "How would you implement a slowly-changing dimension table?" "What's the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 Azure Data Lake Storage?", "What would you do if you needed to change the schema of the JSON file being ingested?" Like I get that they have to filter out dummies who can't even do "Hello World" in a programming language, but these kinds of "trifling detail" questions always seem shortsighted to me. Anyways, I tried to never just say "I don't know" and leave it at that. I would at least say that I would love to learn more, or that I could look up the answer.

In the end, I think he was just seeing how well I handled difficult questions under pressure. He even said that I did well, which was a relief because I was sure that he was going to end the interview by shoving my resume into an industrial shredder. So if you're applying for a tech position and you get questions like this where you don't exactly know the answer, then I think my best advice is to not lose hope, stand your ground, and answer as best as you can. It's ok to admit that there's things you don't know, but at least try to show that you're willing to learn and adapt.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Is there a consensus on two-column resumes? I switched over to this style several years ago and I like the look of it, and the application auto-filler bots handle it about as well as a normal resume, but as part of my second-to-last layoff I got a service to help with my job search and my personal coach was like "ugh no just make it normal"

Here it is antonymized:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The consensus is

quote:

ugh no just make it normal

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Friend posted:

Is there a consensus on two-column resumes? I switched over to this style several years ago and I like the look of it, and the application auto-filler bots handle it about as well as a normal resume, but as part of my second-to-last layoff I got a service to help with my job search and my personal coach was like "ugh no just make it normal"

Here it is antonymized:

I don't mind 2 column, I think they're fine. That example is too wordy though. I'd have the left side be more bullet detail stuff (education, skill summary, contact info) and then the main section be experience.

Ultimately, I don't think layout matters as much as readability. 2 Column can be readable or not.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

TheWevel posted:

The consensus is
Fair enough, but is there a particular reason? My attempt at making it into a "normal" resume just made my eyes wander off the page plus I had to cut a lot of info out.

Lockback posted:

I don't mind 2 column, I think they're fine. That example is too wordy though. I'd have the left side be more bullet detail stuff (education, skill summary, contact info) and then the main section be experience.

Ultimately, I don't think layout matters as much as readability. 2 Column can be readable or not.

Yeah looking at it in a smaller form made me realize you're totally right about the wordiness. Dropped it down to just two paragraphs, bulleted my skills, and added education. Thanks!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Friend posted:

Here it is antonymized:

this is fine imo

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Friend posted:

Here it is antonymized:

It’s fine but I’m not reading the left column ever. So I’m kinda wondering why include it at all.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Beefeater1980 posted:

Verbal offer came last friday, written one due Now(TM).

Company: Hey Beefeater1980, can you fill in our background check app to speed things up?

Me: [fills it in until it asks for my current manager’s contact details]. Nice try guys, you’re getting that when I have my written offer and have resigned.

That's progress at least!

My background check required me to provide proof of my COVID vaccine from like 22 months ago, which they still consider to be "fully vaccinated".

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is there any benefit to including a bullet point for each employer in my resume stating what the company does? Like “This company makes these specialized widgets for the defence industry”? Asking because the last few places I worked have very little web presence and their company names have confused interviewers about the nature of their business.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

melon cat posted:

Is there any benefit to including a bullet point for each employer in my resume stating what the company does? Like “This company makes these specialized widgets for the defence industry”? Asking because the last few places I worked have very little web presence and their company names have confused interviewers about the nature of their business.

In your case, probably yea

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah probably. A line explaining what the role was or industry context is fine. You probably don't need to make your resume a term paper on your industries but context is usually good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

melon cat posted:

I always make my first bullet a one-sentence summary of the key elements of what I did and the position, even in a known company. My philosophy is that the if you removed all bullets but the first, anyone talking to you would understand the content of what you did. Also, helps with the skimming. I've seen plenty of resumes that I have no idea what the person "did", but I know like.. the technologies and poo poo they used to do some mystery thing.

So, no, don't put "This company makes these specialized widgets for the defence industry", put "Developed technical subsystem X for land widgets, air widgets, and sea widgets, for F500 defense companies." Basically describe the company in terms of what you do.

It's the elevator pitch of bullet points.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

melon cat posted:

Yeah. Just make sure it fits on one line.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wouldn't have an issue with like

Deputy Assistant Quality Assurance Tester
Fozziwig's (a privately held rubber chicken manufacturer)
1843-1847, London UK

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

m0therfux0r posted:

Alright! Got my first "I accidentally left another company's name in my cover letter for a job I was actually qualified for" of the year out of the way.

Lmao. This company ended up being the first company I applied to recently that contacted me to set up an initial phone screen interview- I'll be talking to them tomorrow afternoon.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I got off the phone with a recruiter today and was a bit startled because Bell Canada - a gigantic corporation that can practically print their own money at this point - wants an experienced data engineer and the rate maximum is $90k. I made sure it wasn't an entry level position:

quote:

Basic Qualifications
Bachelor in Computer Science, Engineering Management Information Systems, or Computer Information Systems is required.
Experience in developing data pipelines and workflows in GCP data platforms, services and applications (Pub/Sub, Storage, Dataflow, Dataproc, BQ, Airflow, Composer)
Familiarity with CI/CD deployment, code management platform GitHub, building and coding applications
Minimum of 3-5 years of coding Scala / Spark, Spark Streaming, Java, Python, HiveQL
Experience working with and understanding of traditional ETL tools & Data Warehousing architecture.
Strong personal leadership and collaborative skills, combined with comprehensive, practical experience and knowledge in end-to-end delivery of Big Data solutions.
Must be proficient in SQL and programming language (Java/Python)

And you have to be on-site 3 days a week, and also go onsite to do some hackerrank coding test. I had another recruiter contact me for a similar role at Toronto-Dominion Bank and it starts at $120k. Fully remote. It just seems incredibly delusional. I also looked them up on Glassdoor and it wasn't just a case of the recruiter lowballing me.

edit: ok it's not really interview related per se, but I was so taken aback I felt the need to tell someone other than my Dad's dog

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

nO oNe WaNtS tO wOrK aNy MoRe

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

:emptyquote:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ultrafilter posted:

:emptyquote:

Oh and just to add to the grumble, I saw a series of entry level IT postings for University of Maryland's Medical system pop up last week. They had three individual postings with varying requirements that I applied for. One that I exceeded, one that I just met, and another that was a stretch. They rejected me for all three unceremoniously the next day at various points throughout the day, so I know it was likely someone in HR doing their thing and not just ATS. :haw: Anyways, I have no idea how the gently caress some of these requirements are drawn up, because I've had positions that I was under qualified for reach out and interview me, and others that I met or exceeded immediately reject me.

On a more positive note, had another phone interview today for an entry level IT position with a grocery store chain. Went fine as far as I could tell, though now I need to wait a week to find out if I'm going to be asked to come in for an in-person interview or not. The HR person asked why I wanted to switch into IT and I think I gave a solid enough answer, though I wish I got more technical questions so I could go into more detail. I ended up just sending a thank you email saying "I thought more about your question, and I just wanted to elaborate insert poo poo about Ralph toying with homelabs and networking gear here. The decision to move into IT is recent, but the drive to learn and experiment with the subject matter has always been there."

Worst case scenario, I don't get the job, and I'm back to square one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The posted requirements for the job aren't always a great indicator of what the actual requirements are. As a rule of thumb, people care more about the ones listed first, but that's not universal at all. You also don't know anything about other applicants, or the competence of the HR person who does that first pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

You're absolutely right, I don't know any of that. I'm just blowing off steam.