Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I wonder if Pritzker will brag about not costing states millions in litigation costs with illegal drag show bans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I look forward to our future as the refugee state for drag shows escaping our lovely Republican neighbor states.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bird in a Blender posted:

I look forward to our future as the refugee state for drag shows escaping our lovely Republican neighbor states.

From the border to the lake, Indiana we will take.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How lovely is a drag performer if they have to take a job at a suburban library in Indiana?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Idk perhaps they live in suburban indiana

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Badger of Basra posted:

Idk perhaps they live in suburban indiana

So really lovely

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

From the border to the lake, Indiana we will take.

We have enough crazy corn-growing conservatives in this state without coopting more, thanks. Though granted thanks to farmers not growing cover crops in winter I'd say a good 20% of Indiana soil blew in from Illinois.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Illinois could annex Indiana and we’d still be a blue state.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I finally got all my tax forms, finished my federal and Indiana (I used to work in Indiana) taxes, and was getting ready to do my Illinois taxes when I found out that Illinois crippled the mytax website to make it "easier". I'm very annoyed. I even became one of those people and sent off an annoyed email to my state rep & senator, the mytax website itself, the treasurer's office and the comptrollers office.

I refuse to pay over $100 for tax prep software when my taxes aren't that complicated. Now I gotta fill out PDFs and send them in the mail like a god damned Luddite.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jows posted:

I finally got all my tax forms, finished my federal and Indiana (I used to work in Indiana) taxes, and was getting ready to do my Illinois taxes when I found out that Illinois crippled the mytax website to make it "easier". I'm very annoyed. I even became one of those people and sent off an annoyed email to my state rep & senator, the mytax website itself, the treasurer's office and the comptrollers office.

I refuse to pay over $100 for tax prep software when my taxes aren't that complicated. Now I gotta fill out PDFs and send them in the mail like a god damned Luddite.

Make sure you're not blocking myscript? Also you can try: Rev MyTaxHelp@illinois gov or call Central Registration at 217 785-3707

Jows
May 8, 2002

No, they purposefully got rid of half of the schedules I need to do my taxes during their "streamlining" and "simplification". They hope to add these forms back in the future.

I'm just really annoyed because it was fully functional. Let the people who want simple question answer tax prep have their simple solution, but there's no reason to eliminate the functionality they had.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jows posted:

but there's no reason to eliminate the functionality they had.

Sure there is; Intuit gotta make billions somehow

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Researching local elections in Will County and I'm having better luck figuring out who NOT to vote for based on who the local Republican Party endorses.

I'm just trying to prevent chuds from taking over the local school board. I don't even have kids. :sigh:

Is there any voter guides to this stuff? I'm googling names and the office they're running for and mostly not getting poo poo - not even the candidates' own web pages.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Will County Progressives comes to mind, but their recent social media posts are more about Vallas than actual will county stuff lol.

E: what district?

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 11, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Researching local elections in Will County and I'm having better luck figuring out who NOT to vote for based on who the local Republican Party endorses.

I'm just trying to prevent chuds from taking over the local school board. I don't even have kids. :sigh:

Is there any voter guides to this stuff? I'm googling names and the office they're running for and mostly not getting poo poo - not even the candidates' own web pages.

Same problem I have with McHenry. These people have no bios and 0 public statements. I can't tell one way or the other.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

CaptainJuan posted:

Will County Progressives comes to mind, but their recent social media posts are more about Vallas than actual will county stuff lol.

E: what district?

Valley View 365U

Also, after googling a handful of candidates, google keep wanting me to prove I'm not a bot. :cripes:

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You never know with school boards. Brookfield kids either go to Riverside Brookfield HS or Lyons Township, and while RB has normal boring candidates LT has 3 full on Awake weirdos. The local paper is killing this one LT candidate because he posted a dumb thing on Facebook that got him linked to Awake or something. They interviewed him and he said he had no affiliation with them and then the next week they ran an article with him pictured at a January Awake workshop for candidates. He responded saying he was just there for information on running for school board and he still doesn't know anything about Awake. I don't get the strategy of straight up lying, there's enough people in LTs district (Nick Fuentes came from LT after all) that would be cool with him so might as well just embrace it. He already said he wouldn't fill out Indivisible's candidate questionnaire because they're too a divisive organization.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I’m also in Will, that’s a fairly reliable method. It’s depressing when the elections are between “independents” (regular lovely republicans) and the nutty magahats that kicked out the lovely regular republicans. The nut jobs are trying to run for library board here too, and protested answering a candidate questionnaire because it had “gotcha” questions like “what are your qualifications?” and “why do you want to be on the board?”

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

borkencode posted:

I’m also in Will, that’s a fairly reliable method. It’s depressing when the elections are between “independents” (regular lovely republicans) and the nutty magahats that kicked out the lovely regular republicans. The nut jobs are trying to run for library board here too, and protested answering a candidate questionnaire because it had “gotcha” questions like “what are your qualifications?” and “why do you want to be on the board?”

Yeah, I found two of the White Oak Library board candidates on the Homer Glen Republican’s endorsement list, so that was the easiest Nope! ever.

But I can’t really find poo poo about any of the non-incumbent school board candidates, except I found one lady’s Instagram page - a bunch of Harley Davidson and Support Are Troops/I Suck-off Cops type poo poo.

Imagine running for local office and not even shelling out for a webpage. :cripes:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

borkencode posted:

Hello fellow Homer resident. Absolutely the dumbest, mostcorrupt and most insane Republicans here and they're absolutely dominating local politics lol

e: they regularly dox and harass anyone who speaks up against them, will call their employers with fake allegations, etc.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Libraries are becoming a big focus for wackos too. https://bookriot.com/elmwood-park-public-library/ For a laugh compare that to the Tribune article. In a way they always are, a lot of people run to start political careers knowing nothing about libraries thinking they can pad their public servant resumes by "running things like a business" with no regard to the public service responsibilities of the library. There's always the basic sexism thrown in when dealing with a predominantly female workforce. While the board in the article seems more of a corruption issue more than the more evil options, the focus on deprofessionalization is important. There was some library trustee in a northern burb that was always minimizing the skills the librarians needed (did they really need Masters degrees) and then some librarian fired back at him that all you need to be a contractor (his job) was a hammer and he cried to the director. My mom's been on our town's library board for 23 years and is finally not running for election next month and thankfully the current candidates are fine.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I'm in a collar county and trying to figure out which of the new names on the school board slate are trying to import their poo poo from down south to ban all books that aren't Mein Kampf

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Looking at the local school board election here in Lake County, I noted the one Republican in my neighborhood has a yard sign out for one of the candidates. Looks like a good reason to not vote for him.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

KDdidit posted:

Libraries are becoming a big focus for wackos too. https://bookriot.com/elmwood-park-public-library/
Thanks for that. I live in EP. Had no idea about any of it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah library boards, school boards, and community college boards are all being targeted by orgs like Awake and it’s so hard to find candidates to run for them, especially school boards, after all the grief and threats and etc they got during the pandemic. (Election boards are another pain point but at least recognizable as important). Try checking the local Dem county Facebook pages (remember these are by and large older people running these orgs and Facebook may be as technically savvy as they get) as well as third party groups with a lot at stake like LGBT groups. Local newspapers can also be good sources, as well as league of women voters. Checking your local right wing crank pages can also help learn who to avoid.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

https://twitter.com/BenSzalinski/status/1635358532726915072?t=qXLkLeklHMt-hBM-jzziAw&s=19

Coward!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I've decided to go after some of the Qanon people running for the school board in my area (collar county). They really won't get much traction around here, but after all of the shenanigans in Florida are other people seeing more attempts up North?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I've decided to go after some of the Qanon people running for the school board in my area (collar county). They really won't get much traction around here, but after all of the shenanigans in Florida are other people seeing more attempts up North?

They're definitely putting up candidates (I've heard there are a lot in Wisconsin) but the ones around here don't have a prayer either. Out in the sticks where they might there's just noone running. For anything. Like they can't even find people to run for mayor of these little podunk sub-1000 person towns.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There was a news story about far right anti LGBTQ school board candidates in Barrington.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Oh the wackjobs have been going after stuff like school boards for years now. There is a coordinated effort to destroy public schools and universities by the right. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why they want to do so as well.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

https://twitter.com/BNeidhardt/status/1636545596742946816?t=pip0catuXd-ViGubglip-g&s=19

Time for some baseless speculation! I'm saying Obama.

e: supposedly NBC evening news said it would be Chuy.

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 17, 2023

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I want it to be Jesse Jackson, but it's probably Chuy.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Johnson needs something. Vallas has been getting a bunch of unions (beyond police and fire depts).

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

https://twitter.com/Brandon4Chicago/status/1636730091395854338?t=qmlYKSfKPggPdb4pvUbhJw&s=19

It was chuy good job everyone

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Was Chuy's mayoral run just a cash grab? It really didn't seem like he tried at all.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Was Chuy's mayoral run just a cash grab? It really didn't seem like he tried at all.

Wasn’t that the case with his run against Rahm?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Wasn’t that the case with his run against Rahm?

Why would you think that? He got to the runoff and lost by a little over 10% I think. He was actively campaigning that time. I’m a little worried we’re about to see a repeat of 2015 though with Vallas winning with 55% or so of the vote.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

Why would you think that? He got to the runoff and lost by a little over 10% I think. He was actively campaigning that time. I’m a little worried we’re about to see a repeat of 2015 though with Vallas winning with 55% or so of the vote.

I thought I remembered something about Chuy getting to the run-off and then no-showing some interviews or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I thought I remembered something about Chuy getting to the run-off and then no-showing some interviews or something.

Weren't those the Mayor forums that like every candidate since has skipped