Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

wait what, aren't they basics?

Wastes does not have a land type, unless I'm mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Johnny Truant posted:

They don't have a basic land type.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
efb

Johnny Truant posted:

They don't have a basic land type-- wubrg

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, you can fetch one because it is a basic land, but you can't get a second since it doesn't have a type to share with another.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Positive story time!

Met a guy who was taking a new deck out tonight, he'd made Urtet. Apparently this was an accident, he was building Myr tribal before ONE spoilers anyway. He was just the most loving excited about it. His deck did a bunch of neat poo poo with counters and mana dorks to get a board of thirty 5/5s then immediately died to another player's 150/150 commander and a Rogue's Passage. He wasn't even mad, he was just jazzed that his plan worked at all. It was a really cool deck, he used the "get 1/1 counters equal to colors spent to cast your creatures" artifact.

I don't really have much else to say otherwise, it was just a refreshing experience after dealing with yet another Atraxa goodstuff deck for half the night.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Same friend that gifted me the foil Norn also gave me a foil Skyclave Apparition, foil extended art Teleportation Circle, and foil What-If The Eternal Wanderer, so I went ahead and ordered 36 foil proxies of cards that either don't have foils or whose foils are very expensive (Suture Priest, wtf). The order came out to $28 plus shipping. I still need 8 more cards and they'll come out to just about as much as I paid for the foil proxies.

I should have just gotten the 55-card tier from MPC for ten more dollars and called it a day. Jokes on me for not realizing Felidar Guardian is $10 foil.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Still just madly refreshing my email to get that prof deckbox shipment email :negative:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

orangelex44 posted:

Positive story time!

Met a guy who was taking a new deck out tonight, he'd made Urtet. Apparently this was an accident, he was building Myr tribal before ONE spoilers anyway. He was just the most loving excited about it. His deck did a bunch of neat poo poo with counters and mana dorks to get a board of thirty 5/5s then immediately died to another player's 150/150 commander and a Rogue's Passage. He wasn't even mad, he was just jazzed that his plan worked at all. It was a really cool deck, he used the "get 1/1 counters equal to colors spent to cast your creatures" artifact.

I don't really have much else to say otherwise, it was just a refreshing experience after dealing with yet another Atraxa goodstuff deck for half the night.

Wild how much one’s Commander experience can fluctuate based on who you’re playing. I started going to my LGS’s Commander night more regularly and I’ve had really positive experiences so far. Just a bunch of people enthusiastic about their decks, building things that are fun but not necessarily hyper-tuned. It’s been refreshing so far, especially considering how serious people can get during Draft nights and other one-on-one formats.

Johnny Truant posted:

Still just madly refreshing my email to get that prof deckbox shipment email :negative:

Same, same.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

The FOMO is real. :negative:

I did fill out the survey for the Foglio Art and playmat! That should be getting here by May! :dance:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

orangelex44 posted:

He wasn't even mad, he was just jazzed that his plan worked at all.

I've found this mindset to be important to my enjoyment of casual commander

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

That reminds me that we did the “everybody switch decks!” thing at our last Commander night. I didn’t win, but the guy using my Chatterfang deck did, and it really does give you a little burst of pride. It’s also a cool way to try new decks.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

TotalHell posted:

That reminds me that we did the “everybody switch decks!” thing at our last Commander night. I didn’t win, but the guy using my Chatterfang deck did, and it really does give you a little burst of pride. It’s also a cool way to try new decks.

It feels like other people play my decks better than I do. And when they win with it, I also win!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Two of the people I regularly play with don't own cards. Whenever I find myself losing to my own deck, I will sometimes ask, "what rear end in a top hat built that deck?" It's a good feeling, and I get a lot of testing for the ludicrous amount of decks I keep sleeved.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Building a Rakdos deck and decided to scrub it and start from scratch.

Or at least I would if it was possible to delete it

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Copy/paste the name to confirm?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jiro posted:

A coward's move

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Speech-to-Text it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MPC being MVPs like always. Placed an order at 2:40 on Tuesday and it shipped yesterday.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey y'all, I put a lot of work into my latest video. Like The Prof has recently been doing, it's like a Mashup of a deck tech and a precon upgrade guide, but for a wholly-unique $45 budget brew.

Would love everyone to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSHtjMBwq94

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Balon posted:

Hey y'all, I put a lot of work into my latest video. Like The Prof has recently been doing, it's like a Mashup of a deck tech and a precon upgrade guide, but for a wholly-unique $45 budget brew.

Nice vid, I like what the Prof and now you are doing with these “precon” builds. Would love to see more of them.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Balon posted:

Your videos rock. I already watched and sent it to my group. Keep up the great work!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A dumb jank pillowfort combo made its way into my head, and now I want to try it:

Caltrops + Karn, the Great Creator's +1 + any equipment that gives Deathtouch

Basically, you get to attack, but everyone else gets locked out because of the equipped, animated Caltrops pinging their creatures due to Karn's uptick working "until your next turn", so you just +1 him in your second main, after swinging out with your own bullshit

Edit: lol autocorrect changed Karn to Karen

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

A dumb jank pillowfort combo made its way into my head, and now I want to try it:

Caltrops + Karn, the Great Creator's +1 + any equipment that gives Deathtouch

Basically, you get to attack, but everyone else gets locked out because of the equipped, animated Caltrops pinging their creatures due to Karen's uptick working "until your next turn", so you just +1 him in your second main, after swinging out with your own bullshit

The Commander you want is:

Sydri, Galvanic Genius
{W}{U}{B}
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer
C16
{U}: Target noncreature artifact becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal to its mana value until end of turn.
{W}{B}: Target artifact creature gains deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn.

2/2
Terese Nielsen
224 (M)

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 11, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sydri won't allow the combo, since equipment falls off once the artifact stops being a creature. I was thinking mono-U Padeem, who gives the combo some built-in protection

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

You don't need to keep the caltrops a creature. You just get to a point where you always threaten to animate + give death touch with the commander's abilities. Having it cease to be a creature at the end of the turn also helps it dodge removal.

E:

You can also always just play that Karn. The Esper commander lets you have all the good tutors so you can go grab the pieces that you need.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 11, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's also true, basically there are a few ways to go about pulling this dumb poo poo off and they're all valid :v:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
You can also do Sydri + Staff of Nin.

That combo was when I realized my friend and I had very different concepts of "cheap and broken". I saw an extremely inefficient and high mana cost combo, he saw something game-breaking lol

Framboise fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 11, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I mean, you may as well just play Tim and basilisk collar at that point

...hold on, gotta update this decklist

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
as long as we're doing silly, inefficient poo poo with deathtouch, put Basilisk Collar on Pestilence Demon and give it some way to prevent it from damaging itself (e.g. protection from black).

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The new Glissa makes me want to do deathtouch/first strike tribal. It's not a good idea, or even a coherent one, but I like the idea of lure effects and poking everyone's creatures to death.

Also, GB is by far my favorite color identity, do it may just be a flimsy excuse to work in those colors and to use cool but weak cards like Deadly Allure. :wink:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's a good place for all the various bow equipment that plink at creatures.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

The new Glissa makes me want to do deathtouch/first strike tribal. It's not a good idea, or even a coherent one, but I like the idea of lure effects and poking everyone's creatures to death.

Also, GB is by far my favorite color identity, do it may just be a flimsy excuse to work in those colors and to use cool but weak cards like Deadly Allure. :wink:

I've made a deathtouch/fight tribal (ie, it also has Phyrexian Obliterator) and I've avoided doing too much repeatable plink because either it dominates creature-based games or does nothing. Overall it's not super high power but it's good fun.

It's worth putting in a couple of swords (I've got Feast and Famine, Fire and Ice and Animist in there because those are the ones I own) because deathtouchers carry equipment well. Same with Rancor.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I was bummed looking at Boros commanders and seeing Lorehold doesn't really have better sorceries to cheat than extra combat steps. I get it but it's boring.

I know smashface is their whole deal but do any Boros guys have interesting nuanced games?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was bummed looking at Boros commanders and seeing Lorehold doesn't really have better sorceries to cheat than extra combat steps. I get it but it's boring.

I know smashface is their whole deal but do any Boros guys have interesting nuanced games?

There's the dude that makes spirit copies of your creatures when they die. That guy lets you play around with ETBs in Red (Dockside) and White and token shenanigans (Mondrak and Anointed Procession). Go ahead and Avalanche Riders your opponents into submission.

E:

Hofri Ghostforge

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Boros has some wipes that you can cheat if you combine them with indestructible or Teferi's Protection or the like. Free Jokulhaups when you don't get reset is a big deal.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was bummed looking at Boros commanders and seeing Lorehold doesn't really have better sorceries to cheat than extra combat steps.

There's Soulfire Eruption at least

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Osgir is really popular and lets you play an artifacts strategy in Boros.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My friend plays an Alibou deck and it mixes smash face with repeatable removal and serious deck stacking. As red gets more impulse draw it just gets more powerful

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Railing Kill posted:

Make sure to toss in Undercity Uprising, Saryth the Viper's Fang and Fynn the Fangbearer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

You can also play Akiri, Line-Slinger and Arden, Intrepid Archaeologist for an equipment-themed Boros deck.