Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

If you have any sort of PC webcam, OpenTrack's relatively new NeuralNet tracker option works just as well as the phone-based solutions and is way more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I got myself a new PC after the Ship of Theseus known as my old one just became a bit too long in the tooth. So I'm rocking an i7 13700, 4070ti and 64gb ram. I still have my old (but totally decent) 24" 1080p monitor and TrackIR.

The question:
- keep the monitor and get a VR headset, OR
- upgrade to a mid-range 1440p curvy monitor.

Not particularly interested in a 4k monitor because I doubt I would notice as much of a difference in quality as I would the performance hit. I also sit about 36" away from the monitor so it's not like I'll have pixels in my face.

I do a bunch of other gaming but the upgrade was mostly for MSFS/DCS.

Is VR stable and usable enough now? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference for availability. I know that the Reverb G2 was a good choice for simming but the VR megathread said it's now discontinued, though it looks like it's on discount direct from HP.

Budget is very much not unlimited after blowing everything on the PC.

Don't get midrange curved monitors, they're mostly VA panels that have noticeable dark-level smearing. Unless you mean a 3440x1440 ultrawide, in which case there aren't many affordable alternatives to VA. If you want to get a normal 16:9 1440p monitor, I'd just get an IPS. They're fairly cheap these days: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Vbmiiprx-Zero-Frame-Agile-Splendor-Overclock/dp/B09R26XXFW/

VR on MSFS is really cool, but honestly if you do any other gaming then I'd just get the new monitor.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I can definitely see the allure of flying on a monitor still, however ultrawide is a must. After ultrawiding it for years, I don't understand why any sane person would move to a widescreen. Even more so with flight sims where horizontal vision gives the sensation of flight.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

Opentrack is no more complicated than Track IR.

That's great. My comment was less an observation on opentrack than it was about the deeply subconscious link my brain has built between "open" and more loving work for me.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

the milk machine posted:

i've been flying the aerosoft Twin Otter around quite a bit, it's very fun. turboprops ftw

last night i had a perfect approach into kathmandu and then my cat jumped into the cables and made me crash, the ntsb is gonna have a field day with that one

unlike the carenado skymaster, the checklist is built into the msfs interface so it makes figuring it out p easy.

The Twotter was one of my favorite planes in P3D. I haven't gotten it for MSFS yet, but I will seeing it's only 26€.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DCS seems like it’s actually getting hyper threading today.

:confuoot:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Vahakyla posted:

I can definitely see the allure of flying on a monitor still, however ultrawide is a must. After ultrawiding it for years, I don't understand why any sane person would move to a widescreen. Even more so with flight sims where horizontal vision gives the sensation of flight.

Well a big 4K TV is like an ultra wide that’s also extra tall!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

That Works posted:

DCS seems like it’s actually getting hyper threading today.

:confuoot:

Anyone try this out yet? I'm currently updating and contemplating if I want to really hook all my gear up.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

JayKay posted:

Anyone try this out yet? I'm currently updating and contemplating if I want to really hook all my gear up.

Is good, most people are seeing significant increases.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JayKay posted:

5-7 fps increase in VR for me, shorter load times and less fluctuations in fps overall. I had a well performing system before the update. People with more marginal systems are saying its a huge improvement. Rare big win for DCS imo

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

JayKay posted:

:radcat: :krad:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Alright, hooking up my flight sim gear and turning on Maverick for background noise.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That Works posted:

5-7 fps increase in VR for me, shorter load times and less fluctuations in fps overall. I had a well performing system before the update. People with more marginal systems are saying its a huge improvement. Rare big win for DCS imo

*Long, suffering sigh*

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me right back in

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Late to the chat but as someone who uses 3 curved monitors and Eye-Finity, I would probably rather go that route where you can muscle the three into an ultra wide and then not have the hassle of yet another accessory.

I mean, I WANT VR but its application is limited and unnecessary.

Also it’s the only way to make a real sim-pit with a full F-18 center console from winwing!!

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 13, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
VR is really great, and I think if VR companies are serious, they need to demo it to people, because I just can't go back. That's not to say it can't be significantly improved, but it's such a big difference over any fixed displays. It's better than the six-figures ALSIM with three projectors at work.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

yeah for some very specific things I can't do it any other way than in VR any more. Racing sims and flight sims are it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Carth Dookie posted:

yeah for some very specific things I can't do it any other way than in VR any more. Racing sims and flight sims are it.

Yeah, I can say I was enthusiastic about it because I obviously bought a VR headset to begin with, but it wildly exceeded my expectations in terms of what a difference it makes.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I can say I was enthusiastic about it because I obviously bought a VR headset to begin with, but it wildly exceeded my expectations in terms of what a difference it makes.

I was deeply suspicious of it and avoided it for years because I wanted all the early generation bugs to be mostly worked out and didn't want to pay out the rear end for a PC able to handle it. I also had severe doubts about my ability to even use it without getting sick.

I gave in about a year ago. Made my iRacing and IL2 playing revolutionary. I can't go back.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

I gave in about a year ago. Made my iRacing and IL2 playing revolutionary. I can't go back.

In addition to the obvious advantages, the VR headset is the first technology that's made me feel properly disoriented going in and out of IMC. I think as a training tool, its utility can't be overstated. I don't know it's better than a fully-enclosed full motion sim, but I can say it's better than the average half-assed Flight Training Device.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Is there a specific setup that is recommended? Once I start getting into app stores and platforms and beacons and tethers and mounts and batteries and I close the tab and say I'll come back to it.

If it's really that good I'll bite, but I've been burned by heavy headsets and terrible resolution so many times.

I want to believe.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 14, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Reverb G2 is the standard for simming. High resolution and no need for base stations.

Only one thing’s better: Varjo. The price on that is insane.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Only problem with the G2 is that it’s effectively abandon ware, not sure if they are still producing units but Microsoft has laid off most of their mixed reality employees

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brownie posted:

Only problem with the G2 is that it’s effectively abandon ware, not sure if they are still producing units but Microsoft has laid off most of their mixed reality employees

decoupling from their stupid rear end mixed reality thing might be a blessing.

the one thing I hate about VR right now is that each company is trying to carve out its own niche with the integration/web store/exclusivity bullshit. The sooner all that goes out the better. A VR headset is a peripheral. Interfacing should be to a unified standard. Why does every company have to drag us through yet another variation of the betamax trail of tears.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 14, 2023

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Yeah... like I fully expect Apple's VR headset to be amazing hardware, but totally unusable for sim stuff because it'll be locked into a proprietary "vrOS" walled garden.

The Meta Oculus products do work reasonably well for me as a "generic display device." They do push you to set up a Meta account on install, but after that you can basically ignore their "portal" software and just use it with any old PC VR app.

That said, I think I'm done with Oculus hardware, after owning a Rift and Rift S for years, and having set up a Quest 2 for someone else (works the same way, only the link cable seems really flaky and drops connection all the time). Very few manufacturers seem to be pushing for the higher resolutions that you need to make flight sim panels look good. I'm looking at a Pimax next, unless something else amazing comes out soon.

CaptainEO fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 14, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Brownie posted:

Lol, I didn’t know this. It does feel like there’s a true hell horizon with this stuff where there really isn’t any single platform that isn’t so proprietary it doesn’t end up with some kind of problem down the line?

Especially since it seems like the current trend for VR is “try something, gently caress up, sell it to someone else/spike it, try it again.”

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

eh. I don't know how bad the 'abandonware' problem is. Most of the time I'm running Steam VR at the same time as windows mixed reality and its steam VR doing most of the heavy lifting. WMR doesn't actually DO anything except a handful of setup features. All the other storefront/3d model area you can entirely ignore. I could see it just getting pared back to what are effectively hardware drivers and an applet for the other functions you'd want to control.

Or I could just be a G2 owner in massive denial. Maybe the G2 is the latest zune or windows phone. :shrug:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I have a G2 and play DCS, BMS and IL2 and very rarely MSFS. Highly recommend it especially given the sale price it hits often at $300.

It can be fussy with cables and the older firmware and such was much more unstable but now it’s been great for the last 9 month or so without any issues. WMR largely seems to exist just to pass off the interface to another program so I’m less concerned about that myself given i don’t use the program for anything.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

That Works posted:

I went from kinda poo poo performance on the ground and good performance in the air to good performance everywhere. Only downside for me so far is I can't seem to launch it with Virtual Desktop, it just crashes when I try. Works ok with AirLink but Airlinks performance is generally worse than VD.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

kemikalkadet posted:

I went from kinda poo poo performance on the ground and good performance in the air to good performance everywhere. Only downside for me so far is I can't seem to launch it with Virtual Desktop, it just crashes when I try. Works ok with AirLink but Airlinks performance is generally worse than VD.

Somebody told me that MT DCS only supports openxr, which Virtual Desktop doesn't support.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don’t think calling Reverb G2 ”abandonware” is in any way a realistic way to portray it. You get support and patches.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Vahakyla posted:

I don’t think calling Reverb G2 ”abandonware” is in any way a realistic way to portray it. You get support and patches.

I guess I'm curious about who would be responsible for this if Microsoft laid off the entire WMR team. Maybe they'll just shift the responsibility of making sure it doesn't break with updates to some other division in the company.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Brownie posted:

I guess I'm curious about who would be responsible for this if Microsoft laid off the entire WMR team. Maybe they'll just shift the responsibility of making sure it doesn't break with updates to some other division in the company.

Who is responsible for the Playstation 5 if Sony lays out the crew?
I'm not trying to be a doodoohead here. It's a pretty open ended question. HP itself has probably vested interest in maintaining support. As does Steam, I imagine. And microsoft itself. There's no good reason to think a large number of VR headsets will just all of a sudden be abandoned. Windows Mixed Reality commands an impressive marketshare of augmented reality. It isn't going to just vanish overnight for some weird reason.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

There's a new VTOL VR jet coming soon that's a two seat trainer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj10QEm_JTQ
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2141700/VTOL_VR_T55_Tyro__Trainer_Jet/

Steam Description posted:

The T-55 Tyro is a two seat, single engine, supersonic jet aircraft built to serve primarily as a trainer. It is capable of equipping all types of weapons and sensors, so it can be used to train all kinds of scenarios, and even be used for combat.

IMPORTANT NOTE: For multiplayer, only one player per aircraft needs to own the DLC! A player who doesn't own it can hop into the other seat.

The T-55 features a two seat cockpit with the same set of standard controls and displays in both seats. The rear instructor cockpit has extra tools such as MFD mirroring (view and control the copilot/student's MFDs) and flight control lock/override modes to help teach new pilots. The T-55 has a lower thrust to weight ratio and a lower drag profile compared to the other jets. This makes energy management more important when it comes to basic fighter maneuvers. This is a great tool if you have a friend who's getting into VTOL VR but needs a little help grasping the various aircraft systems, flight skills, and combat strategies.

This aircraft will release along with VTOL VR update 1.6, which will add custom livery (skins) support. Several trainer, aggressor, and airshow liveries are included for the T-55.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Okay you guys sold me on VR, especially because my wife has offered to buy me one for my birthday. G2 is only $630 CDN from HP and that seems like by far the best deal for simming - agreed? I refuse to support Meta anything and the rest are way the gently caress up there in price.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I haven’t done a real thorough look but I think that’s true. Everything I’ve heard is that the G2 is still the king in “value” in that it’s pretty good and not a billion dollars.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Okay you guys sold me on VR, especially because my wife has offered to buy me one for my birthday. G2 is only $630 CDN from HP and that seems like by far the best deal for simming - agreed? I refuse to support Meta anything and the rest are way the gently caress up there in price.

For conversion rate, that seems decent. You can snag G2s routinely for about 350usd in the United States, but the shipping will get you to that price range anyway.
I've used various headsets, Dell Visor, Odyssey, Odyssey Plus, and Reverb G2. The G2 stands as the supreme headset with clarity and value, par none.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't know if it's a widespread issue but I bought a G2 and the rails that hold the headphones have a very flaky connection that failed quite quickly on me.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Yeah if you refuse to get a quest, G2 from somebody on sale is absolutely the way you want to go. Should be doable for under $400 USD, no idea what that is in Canada though.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Bedurndurn posted:

Yeah if you refuse to get a quest, G2 from somebody on sale is absolutely the way you want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
There's not a G3 coming soon or anything like that right?

I stayed out of VR because of the hardware requirements and the fact it was in early adopter phase and likely to make gear obsolete in a couple years.