Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
oh yeah and i forgot to mention, FSS also 25 poise damage, way higher than other SS, so it's gonna stagger anyone in pvp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Oh wow the Foot Soldier Sword, for what seems like a piece of trash that drops from trash mobs, turns out to be extremely strong. It has rock bottom requirements which is perfect for a hexer. And it infuses well. And it has the best kind of straight sword moveset in the game, better than that of longsword, because it has an R2 poke in both 1h and 2h mode. And the 2h running R1 poke.

The only downside is its awful durability. Better make sure you have a backup, like say 2 copies of dark orb.

it's genuinely one of the best caster weapons for its weight, length, and requirements, with the sole downside being that you gotta be real sure you're not whacking walls or crates with it, yeah

i ended up going with the drakekeeper broadsword for my hexer since it looks cool as gently caress, is the biggest broadsword by a country mile, and has good base stats for caster infusions

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The skeleton chariot is close to beating Bed of Chaos as my least favourite boss in From games.

In this case, the terror wore off quickly and then it was just dashing from spot to spot until I died or learned where a necromancer/lever was situated. Just a ton of busywork and a long corpse run.

I think I've got the area mapped out so time to stock up on alluring skulls and see if there's an actual fight or it just, idunno, explodes?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fruits of the sea posted:

The skeleton chariot is close to beating Bed of Chaos as my least favourite boss in From games.

In this case, the terror wore off quickly and then it was just dashing from spot to spot until I died or learned where a necromancer/lever was situated. Just a ton of busywork and a long corpse run.

I think I've got the area mapped out so time to stock up on alluring skulls and see if there's an actual fight or it just, idunno, explodes?

The Chariot went from one of my least favorite bosses to one of my favorites basically as I got used to it. The first half is a really neat gimmick, and you can get a special kill on it if you defeat it without ever pulling the lever that opens the gate, and the second half is a decent enough boss fight. It's cool.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sounds like you need to try killing him without dropping the gate.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Chariot's got the problem of being utterly bewildering on a first (and possibly second and third) attempt thanks to a bad combo of high lethality + non-obvious objective. I also think the fight's pretty cool, but it definitely suffers from throwing you in the deep end.

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020
The chariot is also one of those fights that easy as hell on a normal playthrough, but surprisingly tough on a low-level challenge run. When you can't just block hits from the skeletons, getting caught in one of those little nooks while the chariot is passing by is a death sentence.

It might also have the most annoying runback in the game, besides, like, the Smelter Demon(s).

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Lmfao yes I got a dragon rope bridge kill (well, more like murder-suicide).

Broke some dragon eggs, baited the host onto the bridge, then it was a matter of keeping them engaged until a dragon appeared and ripped apart the bridge and sent us both plummeting towards the surface.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I summoned a bro at the second Copse bonfire for the Chariot-run and he died trying to pull the lever for me while i was trying to get rid of some skellies.
Felt real bad to see them die after that gauntlet, but your sacrifice was not in vain phantom friend.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It would be a neat QoL improvement if you got a little notification when the host beats the boss even though you died. Like the same way getting your message rated does.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

After abandoning the game years ago when my hdd died and took my save file with it, I've got back into it and got back to the castle where i left off last time.
Question I have is: I've got my stats to like 30 str, 25 dex and 99 agility. In ds1 i was able to drop some into int & faith and end up with a bag of infused/enchanted weapons that i could switch between for utility and variety (plus the cursed artorias sword because gently caress ghosts).
Can I do the same thing in ds2? If not, what should i drop stats into besides enough vit for high fashion? I'm currently enjoying the black knight sword.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Both levels and upgrade materials are plentiful in DS2. Go nuts! DS2 is the best Fashion Souls.

Farming souls for levels affects soul memory, but that's only important if you care about optimizing PvP.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Really? Although I've found like 3 or 4 slabs already, i only have enough chunks/twinkling/dragonbone to upgrade one weapon of each category to full. Although i guess there's still the dlc areas to go.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Crazy Achmed posted:

Really? Although I've found like 3 or 4 slabs already, i only have enough chunks/twinkling/dragonbone to upgrade one weapon of each category to full. Although i guess there's still the dlc areas to go.
Bell PvP is great to get a steady supply of chunks, otherwise you gotta farm the worms in the gulch.

As for twinks and PDBs, the DLCs have big caches + farmable enemies for each

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

what's the deal with the King's Symbol Door in Forest of Fallen Giants and why is there a bonfire behind it with a broken stairs to a branch and nothing else?
Am i missing something..?

Also, is there any benefit to lighting (all?) the sconces in Crypt and Aldia's Keep? I feel like it would be weird if they only summoned invaders, especially in Aldia's because it is so well lit already.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

heard u like girls posted:

Also, is there any benefit to lighting (all?) the sconces in Crypt and Aldia's Keep? I feel like it would be weird if they only summoned invaders, especially in Aldia's because it is so well lit already.
After lighting all 4 sconces in Aldia's Keep, go back to the entrance and look at the dragon skeleton.
The ones in the Crypt are just for atmosphere and summoning an optional hostile phantom.

heard u like girls posted:

what's the deal with the King's Symbol Door in Forest of Fallen Giants and why is there a bonfire behind it with a broken stairs to a branch and nothing else?
Am i missing something..?
You're missing one the fallen giants the forest is named after. Once you've cleared the Dragon Shrine, you'll have to go back there for ~plot~.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I never minded the chariot too much, but I'm playing Demon Souls for the first time and Maneater must be the biggest buggiest bullshit boss they've done.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Raygereio posted:

After lighting all 4 sconces in Aldia's Keep, go back to the entrance and look at the dragon skeleton.
The ones in the Crypt are just for atmosphere and summoning an optional hostile phantom.

You're missing one the fallen giants the forest is named after. Once you've cleared the Dragon Shrine, you'll have to go back there for ~plot~.

Thank you, that is good to know

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

You can get past the Aldias Keep dragon skeleton, and get to the Forest of Fallen Giant's bonfire by the Kings door with a bit of clever parkour. Just buy the ring from the kitty.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I have played original DS2 like two times compared to the 20+ runs in Scholar and I still reflexively roll when I approach that skeleton upon arrival.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Crazy Achmed posted:

Didn't you meet the stone-selling NPC? She's sitting by the entrance of the poison swamp and moves to Majula afterwards. As you progress through the game, her titanite stock keeps improving/expanding.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I never minded the chariot too much, but I'm playing Demon Souls for the first time and Maneater must be the biggest buggiest bullshit boss they've done.

I think it’s neat how folks have trouble with completely different bosses in From games.

The only one that frustrated me in Demons was armoured spider. Think I don’t like gimmick fights.

Anyways, I ended up brute forcing chariot while taking a break from Shrine of Amana. Finally got to the lever. Died several times to the horse which is weird as I found the horse in Drangleic Castle really easy, killed it on the first try. gently caress chariot, basically.

Shrine of Amana is cool as hell btw. Gorgeous place. Really dangerous but there’s a lot of ways to mitigate the danger with a little consideration.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The only one that frustrated me in Demons was armoured spider. Think I don’t like gimmick fights.
DeS has, like, four bosses that aren't gimmicks tho? You had no issues with Dragon God?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

No actually, it's attack pattern was pretty predictable after getting squashed a couple times. I got the impression that the final bosses for each world were more of a cinematic moment than a fight in the traditional sense.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I can't believe it I finally got a platform kill in Iron Keep. You know those platforms that flip downwards when you walk over the button? A host was standing on one, with a Crystal Homing Soulmass over their head. I simply jump down, rush down the button, and watch them try and panic roll to safety.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I can't believe it I finally got a platform kill in Iron Keep. You know those platforms that flip downwards when you walk over the button? A host was standing on one, with a Crystal Homing Soulmass over their head. I simply jump down, rush down the button, and watch them try and panic roll to safety.

:golfclap:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

For Vendrick do I use the giant souls or just have them in my inventory?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr.Acula posted:

For Vendrick do I use the giant souls or just have them in my inventory?

Just have them in your inventory and you'll get the bonus.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Very well! I was unsure if it was working because the damage im doing is still pretty pathetic. Pretty sure i have 4 or 5 but im at work and cant check

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Vendrick is actually insanely easy if you keep rotating right, keeping just behind or just past his left leg (your right).

The hitbox of Vendrick's sword sweep actually terminates before the sword stops moving, meaning you can safely keep rolling right. Just don't be stupid and manage your stamina.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Glorbo The Endless is actually piss easy if you just exploit his family's history of high blood pressure and roll a half-frame after he decides to stop taking his meds

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
FYI Dark Souls 2 is the second easiest of the Dark Souls games, after Dark Souls 1.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

And that's why it's second best.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Djeser posted:

Glorbo The Endless is actually piss easy if you just exploit his family's history of high blood pressure and roll a half-frame after he decides to stop taking his meds

:hai:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think vanilla is better than SotFS.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think vanilla is better than SotFS.

i see this opinion fairly frequent and i just plain dont ken' it

sotfs leans heavily into everything that makes vanilla great, and then some! i know some folk dislike the changed up spawns but they aren't really any more obnoxious than vanilla's imo

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fuligin posted:

sotfs leans heavily into everything that makes vanilla great, and then some! i know some folk dislike the changed up spawns but they aren't really any more obnoxious than vanilla's imo

Eh, I get it. I definitely prefer SotFS to vanilla, but some of the changes with spawns and specifically the aggro system cause problems. The early part of the Iron Keep is an absolute nightmare in SotFS, and it's entirely because of how the big room with all the knights interacts with the adjusted aggro.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ok my dumb rear end spent an hour running around trying to find all the sconces to light in Aldia's Keep, turns out the skeledragon only activates if you actually kill the phantoms that spawn from the sconces. I mean, i dont know what i expected, but at least i got every piece of loot and doing Navlaans quest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fuligin posted:

The change to Heide Knights is terrible, for starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Scholar makes some boneheaded changes that I hate, but it also fixes, adds, or otherwise enriches so much other stuff that I just can't go back to vanilla.