Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

unrelated to pringles i am downloading these books now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

gene wolfe was also an engineer for 30 years before he was a full-time writer. his most well known achievement was designing the machine that cooks pringles and the pringles guy is a nod to him and his iconic curly mustache.

ordering the book now out of respect

copy
Jul 26, 2007

gene wolfe was also an engineer for 30 years before he was a full-time writer. his most well known achievement was designing the machine that cooks pringles and the pringles guy is a nod to him and his iconic curly mustache.

engineers-turned-authors ftw

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive always wanted a fuligin cloak

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
When a friend pitched BotNS to me he omitted that it was a dying earth story and led me to believe it was just a dark fantasy setting. It was only when I got to a specific description of something that didn't make sense, re-read it a couple times, and realized what was actually being described that I was like :aaa:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

When a friend pitched BotNS to me he omitted that it was a dying earth story and led me to believe it was just a dark fantasy setting. It was only when I got to a specific description of something that didn't make sense, re-read it a couple times, and realized what was actually being described that I was like :aaa:

i have one of these moments every time i read a wolfe book. he's the master.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

copy posted:

this sounds badass

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I can confirm that Book of the New Sun owns. Did anyone read Long Sun/Short Sun, and if so are they good too? I always meant to read them but never got around to it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I read Long Sun and didn't care for it that much. The first book in the series is great as a standalone and has almost a noir vibe to it, but the rest of the series gets bogged down in really long, dry, over-expository dialog. There's still some great characters in it, though. I heard Short Sun is really good but haven't gotten around to it because I want to read his Soldier series first.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I can confirm that Book of the New Sun owns. Did anyone read Long Sun/Short Sun, and if so are they good too? I always meant to read them but never got around to it.

a lot of people dont like long sun as much but i loved it. it's got some good political intrigue but it's a big departure from new sun. i think it has some of his best characters.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I read Long Sun and didn't care for it that much. The first book in the series is great as a standalone and has almost a noir vibe to it, but the rest of the series gets bogged down in really long, dry, over-expository dialog. There's still some great characters in it, though. I heard Short Sun is really good but haven't gotten around to it because I want to read his Soldier series first.

i had a false start with soldier of the mists. the setting being based on history really made it clear that i'm dumb as poo poo. it's the most intimidating thing of his i've read.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VanderMeer owns and I think my favourite thing by him is still City of Saints and Madmen. It's basically... urban Gormenghast or some poo poo, just incredible setting and atmosphere. Stories/characters are kind of eh

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

i had a false start with soldier of the mists. the setting being based on history really made it clear that i'm dumb as poo poo. it's the most intimidating thing of his i've read.

That's how I felt reading it too, Wolfe definitely makes you work for it. There's a ton going on in New Sun too, plenty of which I'm sure went totally over my head, but I feel like it was better at being something you could read on either a surface level as a series of adventures or really dig into it to try to figure out more of what's really going on and get an enjoyable experience either way.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Jon Padgett is killing it with the narration in this Ligotti audiobook :worship::worship::worship:
>> clip <<

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

Jon Padgett is killing it with the narration in this Ligotti audiobook :worship::worship::worship:
>> clip <<

thats so sick lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I think I’m gonna read The Martian.

Lol we had the exact same thought process about that River monster. I kind of assumed that it would just be a normal animal, but from a medieval understanding, kind of like those goofy drawings that you see of people who had animals described to them back in the day. Pleasantly surprised to find out that it was not that, and it was, in fact, just straight up horror. The bit with the statues was so so scary. My favorite book of the last several years.

Lol ya exactly. They're scared and they're French they don't know poo poo, no idea why they think a crocodile has whiskers. Than the slow realisation owned. The statues were so so good too. I think the battle with the angel just after the riot with the guy raising the dead was my favourite. Just Thomas mind twisting not able to at all comprehend what was actually happening.

HolePisser1982 posted:

my buddy talks so much poo poo about the third book so i'm itchin' to get to it. but i'm loving having all these companion pieces to the movie to dig into, the gamer part of my brain almost sees it like epic bonus DLC for one of my favorite IPs, lol. but also, Jeff Vandermeer has written the forewords to like half the books ive read since covid, so it's gratifying to finally read his actual work

and yeah, echo your thoughts on Between Two Fires. characters were just fine but the imagery more than makes up for it. so sick

If you liked the second one you'll like the third imo they're really a Part 1 and 2 I think. The third one does explain some stuff in a lot of detail and plain English which surprised me and I'd have rathered never knowing the answer to that stuff. Was still interesting though. The rest of that book is very weird and vague and the usual fare though. So it's strange to find it really bad but not the second one imo.

I think of it like one of those cooking competiotsn where one guy made a movie with the ingredients and one guy made a book with them. And hell I'm gonna eat both dishes baby

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Got a really nice illustrated hardback of all the earthsea books so gonna start those tonight

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Fungah! posted:

thats so sick lol

ive only read 7 or 8 of his short stories but i can safely say that thomas ligotti loving pwns. eaaasy recommend

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

We got the books unpacked and I have Shadow and Claw waiting so hell maybe I’ll start it tonight.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Got a really nice illustrated hardback of all the earthsea books so gonna start those tonight

Earthsea owns. It feels like the story kind of peters out towards the end but I guess that's kind of the point, and what a journey getting there anyway

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

drat. I have a trip coming up, might go out and pick up book of the new sun before I leave. Sounds awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Read a few chapters so far and it’s evocative as gently caress, really glad I decided to start it thanks to this thread

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
:tipshat: i was tellin you about that prose dog

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hearing this as an argument between Llewelyn and Chigurh

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

one piece is crazy good this week.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Man this 13 Nights with Elvira show was like a dream come true when I saw it on le Peacock (truth be told lmfao I only know about her from pinball and Wrestlemania 3) but either she ain’t funny or the writers aren’t. Anyway here was a joke, Guy talking about the “Avocado Affair” and then Elvira’s clippy pop up of her pogging says, “*babloop* He’s had a lot of affairs with avocados”. Bro. Wtf. Get real.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The worst part is I’m actually kinda into the movie lol. So Elvira is just blowing the vibe. Come on…

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Wtf I’m getting this book from the library asap

wowee thanks again Dendy

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EmmyOk posted:

Lol ya exactly. They're scared and they're French they don't know poo poo, no idea why they think a crocodile has whiskers. Than the slow realisation owned. The statues were so so good too. I think the battle with the angel just after the riot with the guy raising the dead was my favourite. Just Thomas mind twisting not able to at all comprehend what was actually happening.

If you liked the second one you'll like the third imo they're really a Part 1 and 2 I think. The third one does explain some stuff in a lot of detail and plain English which surprised me and I'd have rathered never knowing the answer to that stuff. Was still interesting though. The rest of that book is very weird and vague and the usual fare though. So it's strange to find it really bad but not the second one imo.

I think of it like one of those cooking competiotsn where one guy made a movie with the ingredients and one guy made a book with them. And hell I'm gonna eat both dishes baby

That section with the harrowing was so good. Thinking about both how and how much he suffered…it’ll drive you to church. I love that loving book.

wowee thanks again Dendy

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think the girl’s encounter with Madam Broom or whatever the weird witchcraft creature was called was the bit that scared me most, when it’s just a creepy voice circling around her in the dark and every now and then it brushes against her and she gets a slight feel of how hosed up it is. I feel like a lot of horror authors try to do the “only use vague descriptions so the reader’s imagination conjures up something scarier than you could write” thing but most flub it, but when it does work it affects me like nothing else.

The most scared I’ve ever been while reading a book was the bit in The Haunting of Hill House when the narrator and Theo are hiding in her locked room and listening to the ghost walk down the hallway and try every door, and then after failing to get into their room it makes it into the next one and they can hear it walking around and chattering to itself. Nothing really happened but the scene is set up so good to get your own imagination running.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It sounds lame written out like that but the way Shirley Jackson wrote it affected me so bad that I put the book down, got up, and locked my own bedroom door lol. Just in case.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It sounds lame written out like that but the way Shirley Jackson wrote it affected me so bad that I put the book down, got up, and locked my own bedroom door lol. Just in case.

It’s not lame! It’s a sign of good writing!

wowee thanks again Dendy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

doin my hxh rewatch and i just got to the spiders requiem, just fuckin incredible

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm loving how straightforward the actual plot of Book of the New Sun is. Like, it feels like Wolfe isn't cheating or being unnecessarily complicated, he's just letting me feel stupid all on my own as I try to piece together what's going on under the hood.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I fell asleep during my Elvira sesh. She reels back the popping up to riff on poo poo thankfully. She’s nice to look at but not when she’s over selling a naughty joke she couldn’t have popped wood with in the 70s. Anyway I don’t recommend it, especially to Elvira fans. But Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle is kinda cool.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wormskull posted:

I fell asleep during my Elvira sesh.
Been there brother. Hope it went to screensaver

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Elvira is the topless chick on the cover of Tom Waits - Small Change